Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    -- the governor of Arkansas, while admitting he regrets signing a ban on mask mandates in Arkansas schools
    He's likely seeing a death toll attributed to him from Arkansas residents that he never wanted connected to him. Adults are on thing, but children? He has no political spin on that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    He's likely seeing a death toll attributed to him from Arkansas residents that he never wanted connected to him.
    Well he should have thought about that before he banned mask mandates. He missed his exit, but at least he's making a U-turn.

Well he should have thought about that before he banned mask mandates. He missed his exit, but at least he's making a U-turn.
    He thought he could play politics, but had one of those "oh shit!" revelations.Adults dying are one thing. The thought would be (in Arkansas) that they took their chances.
    Children however...there are no political plays here. ("Oh shit")

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Children however...there are no political plays here.
    Oh, I agree. And yes, we saw him try to weasel his way out of responsibility (he said it would have been passed anyhow). The good news for Arkansas schoolchildren is the fall semester hasn't started. There's still time to fix this. The senate needs to do their job, apparently.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/tucker...wants?ref=home

Oh boy, Tucker LOVES Viktor Orban now. Weird that he'd continue his love affair with authoritarians, no wonder he likes Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's because he lost that last election, the defeat of Trump cultists Wright in Texas.
    UPDATE: Trump describes Wright's loss as a win for Trump, despite endorsing Wright who lost.

No, really.

My endorsed candidate won in the Primary, but the other outstanding candidate won the General Election because virtually 100% of Democrats, approximately 17% of the total vote, supported the candidate I did not endorse.

I won because we ended up with a great Republican candidate—the Democrats never had a chance.

It was a big Trump victory, a great Republican victory, and a great victory for American Patriot Congressman Jake Ellzey
    "Well why didn't the Democrats vote for a Democrat?"

It was a special election. Wright and Ellzey were the only two running.

So, yes, Trump is claiming victory because of a race in which he backed the only candidate who lost. Just a reminder to all those members of Team Trump: if you lose, you mean nothing to him. He's also bragging about picking one of the two winners of a two-person race.

@TexasRules you're from the state in question and have been active recently. You're also a proven Trump supporter. Perhaps you'd care to weigh in on how Trump, having backed the only candidate who didn't win? Oh, and don't bother saying "it's because a Republican won" because both candidates were Republicans and that was a given at the outset, yet Trump still picked one. Or, you could remain silent and I will interpret this silence as "Trump was lying to soothe his poor fragile snowflake ego".

10+ Year Old Account
    So, yes, Trump is claiming victory because of a race in which he backed the only candidate who lost.
    That sounds like a perfect definition for "a big Trump victory" alright.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Party of Trump tries to hold the infrastructure bill hostage by tying Wall funding to it.

Of course it failed. Incidentally, Manchin voted for it.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...ns-moratorium/

Huh, I guess conservative media are big fans of landlords and love seeing people struggling get evicted during a pandemic?

Weird that there's all this "rule of law" and "contracts matter more than anything else!" while ignoring the rule of law and the fact that contracts are subject to the same laws, and if there's a temporary pause on evictions then those contracts can't be enforced to evict someone.

With how often Trump took action with questionable legality, letting the courts figure it out, I'm surprised that they think something like this is "new" or "different" than the past four years.

10+ Year Old Account
    while posting here is preaching to the choir,
    gonna link this just to point out how bad its getting even when at least at the local level, the government is trying to fight covid

https://twitter.com/HoustonHealth/st...303892994?s=20
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Make America Great Again? They're Making Avoidable Pandemics Great Again. Though I don't think MAPGA is as catchy a slogan as MAGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Make America Great Again? They're Making Avoidable Pandemics Great Again. Though I don't think MAPGA is as catchy a slogan as MAGA.
    Ron DeathSentance has better thing's to do, like attack ben and jerry's. Abbott, got his hand's full calling special sessions. Priorities ya know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    gonna link this just to point out how bad its getting even when at least at the local level, the government is trying to fight covid
    But how is this news, though?

We already know that new case counts are rising everywhere, especially since the 4th of July weekend. The 7-day rolling average for new case counts in Texas went from 1351 on July 6th to 5769 on July 26th, which is more than 4x the rate.

Pointing out the increase in viral load in wastewater seems akin to pointing out an increase in sick days being used, to which the appropriate response is, like... "Duh?"

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be overly critical, though I'm sure that's how this is going to come across, but I mean, if you want to get the point across, you can just be more visceral...

Houston Chronicle: 'Dark times': Houston's fourth COVID-19 wave to be the largest yet, medical leaders predict

Houston's about to get fucked.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Houston's about to get fucked.
    25 days is a long time for "if this trend continues". Hopefully Houston intentionally breaks this model by being safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    25 days is a long time for "if this trend continues". Hopefully Houston intentionally breaks this model by being safe.
    And yet... how long does it take measures being taken to have an actual effect?

Even if they made changes tomorrow, they likely wouldn't see a change in the ICU bed rate trajectory for a few weeks. New cases trajectory would lag about a week behind new measures. ICU rates probably 2 weeks. Death rates probably 3 weeks.

I mean, I guess at this point we hope that they started being smarter weeks ago.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

25 days is not very far away. Much of this chart is already baked in. And mitigating the end part of it will not be trivial, especially with Abbot as governor spreading interference for the virus.

My hope is that some of their assumptions end up not being quite accurate. What I find interesting is how expectations have changed.

It started as fall will be fine. Then - well maybe not fine, but not so bad. Then highly unlikely to be as bad as the last wave. Now 3x as bad as last wave. Eventually a prediction will end up not happening.

Bad numbers are not unique to Houston. And I find a recent post from Gaidax in the Coronavirus thread quite chilling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    4th wave time.

All 60+ can now get 3rd Phizer injection, provided they had their last at least 5 months ago.

Numbers overall don't look good and there is a talk of hard lockdown during national holidays in September.
    The above post is about Israel, which is a model country when it comes to vaccinations and reasonably good about masks and social distancing.

Finally - these are reported numbers not actual numbers. The actual number of people that die from the virus will be quite a bit higher than the reported numbers due to effective under-counting of both cases and deaths.

Edit: oh yeah, here in Georgia people are doubling down on not wearing masks and not social distancing, and actively protesting the few mask mandates that are in place. This seems to be the current national mood at this time. Presumably these behaviors will change soon.
    Last edited by Omega10; 2021-08-05 at 03:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet... how long does it take measures being taken to have an actual effect?
    The incubation time is 5-14 days, so...14 days. The UT prediction goes almost double that. Yes, Houston can slow that curve. They will have to try.

10+ Year Old Account
    The incubation time is 5-14 days, so...14 days. The UT prediction goes almost double that. Yes, Houston can slow that curve. They will have to try.
    Measures will not start tomorrow. And it takes some time for people to get used to following the measures, even assuming that they're willing.

People en masse don't just change behavior overnight.

And people don't go to the ICU right away, so you're talking incubation time (median 4-5 days) + time from symptoms to ICU (median 9-12 days), which is more like 2-3 weeks, realistically.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    People en masse don't just change behavior overnight.
    Oh, you didn't ask that part If the people of Houston start to realize they're killing themselves, a more realistic estimate would be a less-steep curve. Nobody's expecting them to reverse course entirely.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd expect Houston, being a major city, to have a larger liberal population and therefore a statistically more reasoned response than the rest of Texas. So hopefull they'll take actions to do something about it.

...Assuming the Texas governor doesn't prevent them from doing so in an effort to maintain the illusion of normalcy.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.