1. #72061
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,436
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Also given the account is locked and trump can't access it it seems very reasonable to just moot the case as its no longer a live concern.
    Side note: "this specific case is moot" has always felt like a stupid argument to me, including the election results. Precedent should be set.

    Fortunately, in this case, it was. The lower court rulings remain in place. But in the election cases thrown out because the US certified, that bugged the crap out of me. Especially since his lawsuits were almost all frivolous and he/his lawyers should have been slapped down. But that's another thread.

  2. #72062
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    13,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    DeSantis should be terrified about his odds in 2022 considering Trump didn't win FL by all that much, DeSantis is not Trump, and DeSantis basically watched his voters die of COVID while eating popcorn. He probably figures he needs all the money he can get to somehow convince the voters he hasn't killed yet that it's somehow someone else's fault.
    Unfortunately Florida is Florida and DeSantis has a somewhat decent popularity rating. He's generally considered in a strong spot for re-election. Misinformation is a hell of a drug.

  3. #72063
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    Unfortunately Florida is Florida and DeSantis has a somewhat decent popularity rating. He's generally considered in a strong spot for re-election. Misinformation is a hell of a drug.
    Cater to rich white folk and retirees, make sure poor folk and people of color have a hard time voting, overrule the ballot measure passed with popular support granting voting rights to ex-felons to keep them from voting, profit.

    It's really pretty fuckin gross and awful and shows how a government can absolutely abuse and manipulate governance and democracy to maintain power while actively working to kill as many people as they can. And many of their constituents will cheer them for it.

  4. #72064
    Immortal Milchshake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Your HEad, Rent Free
    Posts
    7,898
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It absolutely is. He was called on it, and he just handwaved it. DeSantis should be terrified about his odds in 2022 considering Trump didn't win FL by all that much, DeSantis is not Trump, and DeSantis basically watched his voters die of COVID while eating popcorn. He probably figures he needs all the money he can get to somehow convince the voters he hasn't killed yet that it's somehow someone else's fault.
    I dunno, the media has already demonstrated they're quite dedicated to propping up DeSantis.

    I'm betting CNN already has a piece written, "How DeSantis Won Covid The Hurricane season!"


    He'll spend an hour on Meet The Press, evading all questions. Chuck Todd will gush, "This is presidential material!"

  5. #72065
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well that's why SCOTUS dismissed it, but that leaves the lower court ruling(s) in place. Biden's DoJ helped by basically dropping the case.
    The lower court's ruling was vacated, it was not left in place. "The judgment is vacated, and the case is remanded to the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit with instructions to dismiss the case as moot." https://www.supremecourt.gov/orders/...21zor_3204.pdf

  6. #72066
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I dunno, the media has already demonstrated they're quite dedicated to propping up DeSantis.

    I'm betting CNN already has a piece written, "How DeSantis Won Covid The Hurricane season!"


    He'll spend an hour on Meet The Press, evading all questions. Chuck Todd will gush, "This is presidential material!"
    Don't forget Van Jones, "This was truly the moment he grew into the role of Governor." the next 3-4 times DeSantis literally does the bare minimum of acting like a governor for a second and not calling a media outlet "FAKE NEWS".

    Seriously, the way some in the media fuckin carry water for these drowning fucks is beyond me. Is the bar really that fuckin low now?

  7. #72067
    Herald of the Titans bladeXcrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Don't forget Van Jones, "This was truly the moment he grew into the role of Governor." the next 3-4 times DeSantis literally does the bare minimum of acting like a governor for a second and not calling a media outlet "FAKE NEWS".

    Seriously, the way some in the media fuckin carry water for these drowning fucks is beyond me. Is the bar really that fuckin low now?
    It's a stupid reaction to appear "impartial". It's absolutely ridiculous by all metrics.

  8. #72068
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    It's a stupid reaction to appear "impartial". It's absolutely ridiculous by all metrics.
    The faux-mentality where "neutrality" is a thing in all instances. Also, Van Jones generally seems to be a bit of an ideological mercenary and piece of shit.

    Gotta avoid the appearance of being decent people and appear fair to "all sides"!

    Chuck Todd can eat his own fucking shitty goatee.

  9. #72069
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,436
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    The lower court's ruling was vacated
    That's just stupid. The lower court's ruling was made while it was still relevant. It should have been left alone.

  10. #72070
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    It's a stupid reaction to appear "impartial". It's absolutely ridiculous by all metrics.
    Impartial is good, the problem is the subjectivity of both fairness and balance.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  11. #72071
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's just stupid. The lower court's ruling was made while it was still relevant. It should have been left alone.
    I agree practically speaking, but the Court always shies away from a decision if they can help it. There are some good, logical, and even practical reasons for it - but sometimes those don't apply.

  12. #72072
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's just stupid. The lower court's ruling was made while it was still relevant. It should have been left alone.
    The more interesting part is Justice Thomas write up on it... 12 pages of pretty much arguing that social media should be regulated as a common carriers.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carrier

    Edit: ... and if you want to discuss it, here is a thread on it... Edge beat me by minutes:

    https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...d-Be-Regulated
    Last edited by Felya; 2021-04-05 at 06:39 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  13. #72073
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,436
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree practically speaking, but the Court always shies away from a decision if they can help it.
    All the more reason to leave the original alone. You say "shies away" but they went back and removed a previous ruling and they did it on purpose. That's a decision.

  14. #72074
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,498
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    All the more reason to leave the original alone. You say "shies away" but they went back and removed a previous ruling and they did it on purpose. That's a decision.
    I hear what you're saying, and frankly I agree. But the Mootness issue centers around not creating law around an issue that no longer exists. Which is a laudable policy overall, with some regrettable fallout in some cases. This is one of those cases. And yeah, deciding not to decide is a decision.

  15. #72075
    @cubby How do you think this ruling on the case will affect the bullshit that Florida is trying to do with handing out fines to social media for having political people banned?

  16. #72076
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    @cubby How do you think this ruling on the case will affect the bullshit that Florida is trying to do with handing out fines to social media for having political people banned?
    Those laws are all gonna get slapped down pretty hard and fast. It's a gross overreach of state authority and an infringement on the First Amendment rights of the respective companies. Same shit I think TX is trying to do that'll also get slapped down.

    It's a waste of time and money knowing that these won't stand up in courts and are just pathetic, expensive wastes of time on some virtue signaling. You know, the thing conservatives love to whinge about : P

  17. #72077
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,436
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But the Mootness issue centers around not creating law around an issue that no longer exists.
    That's less laughable and more I'M YELLING AT THE SCREEN BECAUSE OF HOW DUMB THAT SOUNDS.

    The issue existed at the time. The ruling was handed down at the time. What's the problem? Are we going to start pardoning murderers after they die?

  18. #72078
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,498
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    @cubby How do you think this ruling on the case will affect the bullshit that Florida is trying to do with handing out fines to social media for having political people banned?
    I think it will force the issue all the way back into the Supreme Court, from a separate Appellate Court no less. And it will take years to arrive, as well, because the issue won't be expedited since it won't be concerning a sitting Resident. But I do think the bullshit in Florida will definitely bring it back up.

    Maybe Thomas won't be on the bench by then....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's less laughable and more I'M YELLING AT THE SCREEN BECAUSE OF HOW DUMB THAT SOUNDS.

    The issue existed at the time. The ruling was handed down at the time. What's the problem? Are we going to start pardoning murderers after they die?
    And I have trouble disagreeing with you. It stems from not wanting to rule on an issue that literally not longer exists, but of course the issue exists, and even the specific parties in this case (as the Office of the President continues even if Donnie Dipshit isn't polluting it with his presence) exist. There is some logic to it as well, as case law is based on circumstances. So in this case (heh), the circumstances are no longer viable, because Resident Trump is no longer in office.

    The whole thing can be very frustrating at times.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-04-05 at 08:16 PM.

  19. #72079
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,436
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The whole thing can be very frustrating at times.
    Glad I'm not alone.

    Gotta go. The cops are here asking about the truck in the driveway.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    They should have booked a press conference at the Four Seasons for this one.....
    Literally two days later:

    Except for massive voter fraud, this was a campaign that was easily won by your favorite Republican President, me!
    Yep, Trump handwaves intentionally collecting illegal contributions as an interest-free loan (plus the checkbox thing) and goes straight back to claiming voter fraud.

  20. #72080
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yep, Trump handwaves intentionally collecting illegal contributions as an interest-free loan (plus the checkbox thing) and goes straight back to claiming voter fraud.
    He writes, "your favorite Republican President" with all the same energy your uncomfortably handsy uncle that routinely says mildly racist shit says he's "your favorite uncle" as he gives you a Beanie Baby because those are all the rage.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •