1. #72221
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,182
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I agree practically speaking, but the Court always shies away from a decision if they can help it.
    All the more reason to leave the original alone. You say "shies away" but they went back and removed a previous ruling and they did it on purpose. That's a decision.

  2. #72222
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,208
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    All the more reason to leave the original alone. You say "shies away" but they went back and removed a previous ruling and they did it on purpose. That's a decision.
    I hear what you're saying, and frankly I agree. But the Mootness issue centers around not creating law around an issue that no longer exists. Which is a laudable policy overall, with some regrettable fallout in some cases. This is one of those cases. And yeah, deciding not to decide is a decision.

  3. #72223
    @cubby How do you think this ruling on the case will affect the bullshit that Florida is trying to do with handing out fines to social media for having political people banned?

  4. #72224
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    @cubby How do you think this ruling on the case will affect the bullshit that Florida is trying to do with handing out fines to social media for having political people banned?
    Those laws are all gonna get slapped down pretty hard and fast. It's a gross overreach of state authority and an infringement on the First Amendment rights of the respective companies. Same shit I think TX is trying to do that'll also get slapped down.

    It's a waste of time and money knowing that these won't stand up in courts and are just pathetic, expensive wastes of time on some virtue signaling. You know, the thing conservatives love to whinge about : P

  5. #72225
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,182
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But the Mootness issue centers around not creating law around an issue that no longer exists.
    That's less laughable and more I'M YELLING AT THE SCREEN BECAUSE OF HOW DUMB THAT SOUNDS.

    The issue existed at the time. The ruling was handed down at the time. What's the problem? Are we going to start pardoning murderers after they die?

  6. #72226
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,208
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    @cubby How do you think this ruling on the case will affect the bullshit that Florida is trying to do with handing out fines to social media for having political people banned?
    I think it will force the issue all the way back into the Supreme Court, from a separate Appellate Court no less. And it will take years to arrive, as well, because the issue won't be expedited since it won't be concerning a sitting Resident. But I do think the bullshit in Florida will definitely bring it back up.

    Maybe Thomas won't be on the bench by then....

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That's less laughable and more I'M YELLING AT THE SCREEN BECAUSE OF HOW DUMB THAT SOUNDS.

    The issue existed at the time. The ruling was handed down at the time. What's the problem? Are we going to start pardoning murderers after they die?
    And I have trouble disagreeing with you. It stems from not wanting to rule on an issue that literally not longer exists, but of course the issue exists, and even the specific parties in this case (as the Office of the President continues even if Donnie Dipshit isn't polluting it with his presence) exist. There is some logic to it as well, as case law is based on circumstances. So in this case (heh), the circumstances are no longer viable, because Resident Trump is no longer in office.

    The whole thing can be very frustrating at times.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-04-05 at 08:16 PM.

  7. #72227
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,182
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The whole thing can be very frustrating at times.
    Glad I'm not alone.

    Gotta go. The cops are here asking about the truck in the driveway.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    They should have booked a press conference at the Four Seasons for this one.....
    Literally two days later:

    Except for massive voter fraud, this was a campaign that was easily won by your favorite Republican President, me!
    Yep, Trump handwaves intentionally collecting illegal contributions as an interest-free loan (plus the checkbox thing) and goes straight back to claiming voter fraud.

  8. #72228
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yep, Trump handwaves intentionally collecting illegal contributions as an interest-free loan (plus the checkbox thing) and goes straight back to claiming voter fraud.
    He writes, "your favorite Republican President" with all the same energy your uncomfortably handsy uncle that routinely says mildly racist shit says he's "your favorite uncle" as he gives you a Beanie Baby because those are all the rage.

  9. #72229


    Picture from today of Trump and Stephen Miller. 2 things of note, for me at least. First, notice the separation between Trump and his Goebbels. Second, that weird diamond shaped thing? It appears to be some kind CBP trophy they gave him for least shits given.

  10. #72230
    Looks like Trump has been taking skin care notes from Boehner. The two of them have an eerily similar complexion.

    Edit: It may just be me but...does he look kinda odd/like shit? Like, he looks more ragged now than he did in office and that's...like the opposite of what usually happens.

  11. #72231
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Looks like Trump has been taking skin care notes from Boehner. The two of them have an eerily similar complexion.

    Edit: It may just be me but...does he look kinda odd/like shit? Like, he looks more ragged now than he did in office and that's...like the opposite of what usually happens.
    Two words: Long COVID.

    (And I'm sure the dozens of legal battles he's embroiled in--several of which could potentially wipe him out--might be weighing on him a tad.)

  12. #72232
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post


    Picture from today of Trump and Stephen Miller. 2 things of note, for me at least. First, notice the separation between Trump and his Goebbels. Second, that weird diamond shaped thing? It appears to be some kind CBP trophy they gave him for least shits given.
    Umm, the third.

    After Urging Massive Boycott, Trump Appears to Hide Own Diet Coke Bottle for Pic With Stephen Miller https://t.co/ciih88IZHX
    https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/...813114375?s=19

    Yep after a call to boycott Coca-Cola, appears he has a diet Coke hidden.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  13. #72233
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Side note: "this specific case is moot" has always felt like a stupid argument to me, including the election results. Precedent should be set.

    Fortunately, in this case, it was. The lower court rulings remain in place. But in the election cases thrown out because the US certified, that bugged the crap out of me. Especially since his lawsuits were almost all frivolous and he/his lawyers should have been slapped down. But that's another thread.

    Basically the supreme court is not supposed to decide on cases that are theoretical. Trump no longer has access to the account and the account is disabled. The court can't provide any remedy for the plaintiffs because the thing they sued to get done can't be done by trump any more even if he wanted to. The target of the case aka trumps twitter feed is basically gone.

  14. #72234
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    does he look kinda odd/like shit?
    Counter question: what's under the newspaper? We all know Trump doesn't read anything over 140 charactes. He doesn't even read magazine articles about himself. And that's yesterday/Sunday's WSJ featuring an article about post offices on one side, continued stories from page one on the other (and those stories are downers about COVID and investing). Those pages aren't back to back. (Trump should he two pages later, there's an article about writing cover letters he might need) In fact, Sunday's WSJ is mostly bad news for Trump.

    Also, is that a Coke bottle behind the phone? Someone forgot to cancel culture!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    The court can't provide any remedy for the plaintiffs
    Eh, I'm still not happy but at least that makes sense.

  15. #72235

    A billionaire asking for money is obviously a scam..........and people didn't think Trump would screw them.

  16. #72236
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    A billionaire asking for money is obviously a scam..........and people didn't think Trump would screw them.
    Surely a guy with a long reputation for not paying what he owes, bankrupting companies, and putting his names on scams would never scam me!

  17. #72237
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Umm, the third.



    https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/...813114375?s=19

    Yep after a call to boycott Coca-Cola, appears he has a diet Coke hidden.
    Yep, look behind the phone on the desk. That is a soda bottle.

  18. #72238
    https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1378917446652981248

    Yo, is Coke the "Goya Beans" for for liberals? Are conservatives trying to #CancelCoke? WHY ARE THEY ENGAGING IN CANCEL CULTURE?!

  19. #72239
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Picture from today of Trump and Stephen Miller. 2 things of note, for me at least. First, notice the separation between Trump and his Goebbels. Second, that weird diamond shaped thing? It appears to be some kind CBP trophy they gave him for least shits given.
    Is it me, or does it look like the whole room is leaning forward...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  20. #72240
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    Umm, the third.



    https://twitter.com/Mediaite/status/...813114375?s=19

    Yep after a call to boycott Coca-Cola, appears he has a diet Coke hidden.
    It’s funny because it’s a glass bottle. Which means it’s likely from a Mexican plant. Or maybe I’m just reading too much into the color illuminated by the sunlight...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1378917446652981248

    Yo, is Coke the "Goya Beans" for for liberals? Are conservatives trying to #CancelCoke? WHY ARE THEY ENGAGING IN CANCEL CULTURE?!
    Is he assuming conservatives drink more soda than liberals? Has this dude ever seen Michael Moore?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •