1. #72781
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Honestly. I'd trash the olympic games if it was either that or treating trans youths as actual humans beings. But probably that are only MY priorities.
    If you're at that point then every competitive sport should be banned. Because if I'm picking players for a girls team, big strong and fast is my criteria.

  2. #72782
    The Lightbringer Pannonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    3,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    If you're at that point then every competitive sport should be banned. Because if I'm picking players for a girls team, big strong and fast is my criteria.
    Ok... lets go into the argument... Sure, men have generally speaking more muscle mass than women and are bigger. GENERALLY SPEAKING. This whole arguments hinges on the notion that current athletes are somehow "normal" people, but they aren't. ANy kind of athlete that trains in their field is not a typical member of either gender. So the whole argument is kinda silly.

    But sure, if it turns out to become a problem, then maybe we need new rules when it comes to competitions or even scholar ships, but until then it is solely used to dehumanize trans persons.

    And again, i don't think for one minute that people pushing bathroom bills are in any way concerned about sports, but are just sick fucks who like to dehumanize others because they're different.

    So let me ask you the question: Are you okay to ban trans youths from any school sports, because it COULD somehow impact your favourite sports competition? Because that's what's happening.

    This whole sports argument is just a nice way to get normal thinking people on board "yeah, sounds reasonable" because the actual reason for these legislature is just plain evil and wont sell as well.

  3. #72783
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Did he actually use FB? I only remember seeing his stuff on Twitter.
    Pretty sure his page got a ton of traffic before he was banned.

  4. #72784
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    While the numbers of transwomen is incredibly tiny, the number of transwomen athletes are spectacularly low. It still isn't fair. There have been many tests that trans women have an advantage over natural women.
    I ran Track and Field in high school. Even with my mediocre times, if I decided to transition to a woman I would have been able to receive a full athletic scholarship to any school I wanted. I would also hold the current State high school womans track record for 800M

    Hell if I trained harder, I might have even qualified for the Olympics as a woman.
    Dude, what do you think you are doing when undergoing this live changing event? Because it sounds like your assuming it's just a name change and buying new cloths, this isn't South Park where you visit a doctor during a afternoon and visiting him again a few years later but this time with a rat.

    No guy will dress as a girl and undergo this entire procedure just to be a "top athletic" that's not a thing.

    Hell if I trained harder, I might have even qualified for the Olympics as a woman.
    No you wouldn't.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    Did he actually use FB? I only remember seeing his stuff on Twitter.
    Probably his campaign spreading fake news.

  5. #72785
    I am Murloc! Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    While the numbers of transwomen is incredibly tiny, the number of transwomen athletes are spectacularly low. It still isn't fair. There have been many tests that trans women have an advantage over natural women.
    I ran Track and Field in high school. Even with my mediocre times, if I decided to transition to a woman I would have been able to receive a full athletic scholarship to any school I wanted. I would also hold the current State high school womans track record for 800M

    Hell if I trained harder, I might have even qualified for the Olympics as a woman.
    Go ahead and transition to a woman then. What? You won’t? Because it’s a complicated process that involves lots of medical therapy, both with drugs and psychologically? Gee, it’s almost as if transition to a woman so you can win a high school track meet isn’t worth the trouble.

    Are you in favor of banning aliens from sports as well? They may have an unfair advantage.

  6. #72786
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Are you in favor of banning aliens from sports as well? They may have an unfair advantage.
    I don't know if comparing trans women to aliens is the best defense my man...

  7. #72787
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    While the numbers of transwomen is incredibly tiny, the number of transwomen athletes are spectacularly low. It still isn't fair. There have been many tests that trans women have an advantage over natural women.
    I ran Track and Field in high school. Even with my mediocre times, if I decided to transition to a woman I would have been able to receive a full athletic scholarship to any school I wanted. I would also hold the current State high school womans track record for 800M

    Hell if I trained harder, I might have even qualified for the Olympics as a woman.
    Why is the solution to always ban transgender women from sports and not something simpler like banning them from scholarships? I mean, to me, it's still a shitty move, but at least the girls would still be able to play sports in school.

  8. #72788
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,239
    Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    No you wouldn't.
    My high school best 800M was 2:01, the Rio 2016 qualifying standards was 2:01:50. I was quite lazy with my training and I am sure I could have gone sub 2.
    USA automatic qualifying is 2:02.50
    And that's automatic qualifying, the USA time trials are MUCH slower.
    Last edited by ghotihook; 2021-05-05 at 03:03 PM.

  9. #72789
    Herald of the Titans bladeXcrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No Trump on Facebook... it has been decided...
    Not entirely true.

    The board told them they have no rules in place for an indefinite suspension. So FB needs to designate a suspension length or permanently disable the account which would then go back to the board for re-evaluation.

  10. #72790
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I don't know if comparing trans women to aliens is the best defense my man...
    Aliens coming down to compete in hooman sporting events is about as likely as someone pretending to be trans to get an advantage.

  11. #72791
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Yup...Trump be permabanned

    Facebook's ban on former President Trump’s account will continue following a decision issued by its independent oversight board Wednesday.

    "The Board found that, in maintaining an unfounded narrative of electoral fraud and persistent calls to action, Mr. Trump created an environment where a serious risk of violence was possible," the board wrote in a statement.

    The panel is requesting that Facebook review the decision to develop a "proportionate response that is consistent with the rules that are applied to other users of its platform."

    Trump has been suspended from the platform since earlier this year on the basis of posts made surrounding the deadly insurrection at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

    The board’s ruling is binding, and Facebook has seven days to enforce it.

    The decision will leave Trump with limited ways to reach the public in the same way he did while president.

    Trump has been issuing statements to the press via email, and while many of them have been shared on social media widely, his reach and dominance over news cycles has clearly diminished.

    Unlike Facebook’s delayed decision on whether to reinstate Trump’s accounts, other social media platforms including Twitter permanently banned his account shortly after the posts about the insurrection.

    “Obviously Donald Trump has violated Facebook’s terms of service repeatedly, incited hate, spread disinformation, fomented violence and been used as a model for other authoritarian leaders to abuse Facebook. He should be banned forever,” the group said in a statement before the ruling was issued.

    “But do not let Facebook’s Oversight Board distract from the need to ensure real accountability for hate speech, election lies, disinformation and other harmful content," they continued.
    They'd be better off saying they're a private company and allowed to do what they wish to further their company's goals. The whole independent oversight board construction invites criticism at how independent they can really be as Facebook's board. You can already see the articles showing members comparing Trump to Hitler, serving on left-wing NGOs, testifying at the Democrat's impeachment, working for the Obama administration. The argument is they're a private company able to enforce their rules as they wish, not that they've successfully hired an independent board that will censor fairly.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  12. #72792
    I am Murloc! Noxx79's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Kansas. Yes, THAT Kansas.
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I don't know if comparing trans women to aliens is the best defense my man...
    Missed the point, or i wasn’t clear. I’m saying they’re trying to ban things that don’t happen.

    The “man transitioning to woman to get ahead in high school sports” is as common as the “alien trying to blend in with high schoolers so they can play sports”

  13. #72793
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    They'd be better off saying they're a private company and allowed to do what they wish to further their company's goals. The whole independent oversight board construction invites criticism at how independent they can really be as Facebook's board. You can already see the articles showing members comparing Trump to Hitler, serving on left-wing NGOs, testifying at the Democrat's impeachment, working for the Obama administration. The argument is they're a private company able to enforce their rules as they wish, not that they've successfully hired an independent board that will censor fairly.
    Its so funny that with people like you, bias is only a one way problem.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  14. #72794
    Void Lord Felya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    the other
    Posts
    58,334
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    They'd be better off saying they're a private company and allowed to do what they wish to further their company's goals. The whole independent oversight board construction invites criticism at how independent they can really be as Facebook's board.
    Bullshit... If they claim they made a private company choice, ya’ll still claim it’s bias. It being independent or Jesus him self, would be irrelevant, because there is nothing binding you from claiming bias, if it’s not positive towards Trump.

    You can already see the articles showing members comparing Trump to Hitler, serving on left-wing NGOs, testifying at the Democrat's impeachment, working for the Obama administration. The argument is they're a private company able to enforce their rules as they wish, not that they've successfully hired an independent board that will censor fairly.
    You mean like MLB moving their all star game? This is objectively not true, based on the last 5 years... current events included...

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Its so funny that with people like you, bias is only a one way problem.
    I don’t understand how a private company saying, we made a choice, would cause less people from claiming bias. I have not seen a single negative thing said about Trump, regardless of how objective it is, be spun as being objective. We literally still have people claiming that Trump won the election... Trump included...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

  15. #72795
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    They'd be better off saying they're a private company and allowed to do what they wish to further their company's goals. The whole independent oversight board construction invites criticism at how independent they can really be as Facebook's board. You can already see the articles showing members comparing Trump to Hitler, serving on left-wing NGOs, testifying at the Democrat's impeachment, working for the Obama administration. The argument is they're a private company able to enforce their rules as they wish, not that they've successfully hired an independent board that will censor fairly.
    All 20 of them? Including like, the guy from the Cato Institute?

    I agree, the "oversight board" is performative nonsense, but it's a fairly broad cross-section of folks that's involved so this is kinda silly nonsense.

    And they're not "censoring" anything. Trump violated their rules, he was banned as a result. You're not "censored" because you broke the rules on Facebook any more than you're "censored" for being kicked out/banned from a Wendy's because you've shown up and screamed at customers for months and ignored warnings to stop coming in and screaming at customers.

    Trump even has his own little wordpress blog on his site, nobody is being censored.

  16. #72796
    Warchief
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by ghotihook View Post
    My high school best 800M was 2:01, the Rio 2016 qualifying standards was 2:01:50. I was quite lazy with my training and I am sure I could have gone sub 2.
    USA automatic qualifying is 2:02.50
    And that's automatic qualifying, the USA time trials are MUCH slower.
    So if it's that easy, why didn't you do it? Why aren't you now an Olympic gold medalist?

    Is it, perhaps, because you are NOT in fact a trans woman? And holding up men and saying "What if these people who aren't trans women were trans women?" is a straw man, given that out in the actual real world the people who legitimately are trans woman aren't out there completely dominating the sports competition?

    Hell, I'm a female who has done sports, and my sister was an Olympian. Our take is that it's a complete joke that people are willing to put more money into keeping trans women out of women's sports than they are willing to actually put into women's sports in the first place. Is there a potential advantage to being trans? Maybe. But there's DEFINITELY an advantage to coming from a family rich enough to afford sending you to the appropriate training camps and getting all the right gear and being able to take you out of school and travel internationally for high end competitions. Money is a huge advantage in sports, why aren't we banning players from rich families if anyone having any sort of an advantage over someone else is unacceptable?

    Oh hey! SIDE BONUS TIME! If you educate children properly and allow the people who need to transition do so with puberty instead of forcing them into the closet until much later, they wouldn't even build up any extra muscle mass or bone density to begin with. Turns out that social conservatives are throwing a shit fit over a problem that exists primarily because of social conservatism. Go figure.

  17. #72797
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Missed the point, or i wasn’t clear. I’m saying they’re trying to ban things that don’t happen.

    The “man transitioning to woman to get ahead in high school sports” is as common as the “alien trying to blend in with high schoolers so they can play sports”
    Not to mention I saw someone on the radio point out. If a man pretended to be a woman just to crush in woman's sports because he couldn't hack it in the mens. It would be one of the most humiliating things, because either he'd have to live a lie forever and be unhappy and depressed in that manner. Or deal with most of society looking at him as a pathetic individual not some great athlete. Which is kind of why a man isn't going to just pretend to be a girl in order to do well at sports, its just not worth it at all.

  18. #72798
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,411
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    No Trump on Facebook... it has been decided...
    And here's the citation.

  19. #72799
    Warchief
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dual US/Canada
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazkar View Post
    Not to mention I saw someone on the radio point out. If a man pretended to be a woman just to crush in woman's sports because he couldn't hack it in the mens. It would be one of the most humiliating things, because either he'd have to live a lie forever and be unhappy and depressed in that manner. Or deal with most of society looking at him as a pathetic individual not some great athlete. Which is kind of why a man isn't going to just pretend to be a girl in order to do well at sports, its just not worth it at all.
    Lets be 100% honest, this isn't true. You can look at the Spanish 2000 Paralympics basketball team for proof, where Spain got 10 able bodied people to pretend to be mentally handicapped in order to win the gold medal at the Sydney Paralympics. People will try and cheat. But the solution to that is to ban the cheating and punish the people trying to cheat. You can put rules in for how long before competition a person would have to transition to be eligible. You can check in a year or two later and strip awards and records if a person has mysteriously stopped being trans after they won a competition. You can absolutely aggressively target people who attempt to cheat and abuse a system without having to preemptively attack innocent people.

  20. #72800
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    Lets be 100% honest, this isn't true. You can look at the Spanish 2000 Paralympics basketball team for proof, where Spain got 10 able bodied people to pretend to be mentally handicapped in order to win the gold medal at the Sydney Paralympics. People will try and cheat. But the solution to that is to ban the cheating and punish the people trying to cheat. You can put rules in for how long before competition a person would have to transition to be eligible. You can check in a year or two later and strip awards and records if a person has mysteriously stopped being trans after they won a competition. You can absolutely aggressively target people who attempt to cheat and abuse a system without having to preemptively attack innocent people.
    People will try and cheat, I was more commenting on if a single individual chose to pretend to be a girl on their own because they couldn't hack it in men's sports. Without a broad base of support they will end up being ridiculed and shamed for their deceit.

    I looked up some post articles on the Spanish 2000 Paralympics, and its not exactly remembered as a glowing moment for spain or the players. But yes groups will try to cheat just for the big W. Or else there wouldn't be a doping problem in the olympics with certain countries.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •