1. #73681
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Several of these elected officials ought to be removed from their seats for being just too fucking stupid, although I guess they do represent their constituents...
    The irony of Blackburn accusing Fauci of the literal strategy for the Republican party. Fuck man, I loathe how anti-science the party has become, and how a hard working and fundamentally decent guy like Fauci is on the receiving end of an avalanche of hate and harassment, including from god-damned elected officials.

  2. #73682
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,244
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    452 deaths
    Also known as "late March 2020 levels". The rolling averages didn't hit 450 until the first week of April.

    The country is on the right path, but there's still a long way to go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    'attacks on science'... And he's right.
    He is. To date, not a single conspiracy theory has had any backup. I especially like the ones about microchips that, somehow, weren't found even once by accident in hundreds of millions of doses. You would have to be rabid fanbase level of willfully ill-informed to believe those. Seriously, not one person had a microchip reaction? None causes an aneurysm, nobody had allergies, none were fried in an X-ray which, pretty sure, is how EMP was discovered?

  3. #73683
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I would argue that it being a line from the Hiestcon episode only makes it more apt.

  4. #73684
    https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/uks...ir-2021-06-10/

    Biden a "Breath of fresh air" for BoJo? Man, he's gonna get left on read next time he wants something from The Donald.

    Friendship with BoJo is over. Trump has no best friends now.

  5. #73685
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://twitter.com/Forbes/status/14...420741633?s=19

    Remember, the Republicans always project on AOC's intelligence.

    Gohmert is by far the dumbest mother effer in Congress.
    There ought to be some intelligence tests that are taken yearly to make sure our representatives are...not dumb as dirt.

  6. #73686
    Pit Lord D Luniz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The Coastal Plaguelands
    Posts
    2,443
    Someone summon @Breccia and probably @cubby
    We got some freshly dug up Trump shenanigans

    Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Focused on Democrats in Congress

    and before you say "paywall" they added some gift share thing, so anyone can see that article for the next 14 days, and it wont count against your feebies

    As the Justice Department investigated who was behind leaks of classified information early in the Trump administration, it took a highly unusual step: Prosecutors subpoenaed Apple for data from the accounts of at least two Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, aides and family members. One was a minor.

    All told, the records of at least a dozen people tied to the committee were seized in 2017 and early 2018, including those of Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, then the panel’s top Democrat and now its chairman, according to committee officials and two other people briefed on the inquiry.

    Prosecutors, under the beleaguered attorney general, Jeff Sessions, were hunting for the sources behind news media reports about contacts between Trump associates and Russia. Ultimately, the data and other evidence did not tie the committee to the leaks, and investigators debated whether they had hit a dead end and some even discussed closing the inquiry.

    But William P. Barr revived languishing leak investigations after he became attorney general a year later. He moved a trusted prosecutor from New Jersey with little relevant experience to the main Justice Department to work on the Schiff-related case and about a half-dozen others, according to three people with knowledge of his work who did not want to be identified discussing federal investigations.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

  7. #73687
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Someone summon @Breccia and probably @cubby
    We got some freshly dug up Trump shenanigans

    Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Focused on Democrats in Congress

    and before you say "paywall" they added some gift share thing, so anyone can see that article for the next 14 days, and it wont count against your feebies
    I believe in conservative circles this would be celebrated as "draining the swamp". Though if the tables were turned I'm sure they'd call it communist intimidation and big-government overreach.

  8. #73688
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,244
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    "the Schiff-related case"
    Let me guess: they found nothing.

    (checks news, this forum, and basic general info)

    Yep. What is it Trump calls a politically-motivated baseless investigation? Rhymes with "bitch cunt"...

  9. #73689
    I've been slowly reading it over the past 2 days. What really sticks out is how limited congress was by the agreement between congress and the DOJ that allowed the testimony to be given.
    Edit:
    This was interesting:

    This was sort of my Irish Blarney way of explaining what I tried to explain earlier,
    that if I, as counsel to the President, called the Acting Attorney General and conveyed an
    46
    urgent message about the need for the special counsel to not be permitted to serve
    because of conflicts, that could cause Rosenstein to think he was being ordered to do
    something that he would find contrary to his oath of office.

    And there's historical example of that happening. And when that happens, you
    had a succession of resignations at the Department of Justice. I didn't want that to
    happen, so I didn't call Rod.
    This seemed to be an inflection point. It was time to hit the brakes and not make
    a phone call to Rod to raise this issue that the President had continued to raise with me.
    It seemed to me that it'd be easier for me to not make the call and take whatever heat or
    fallout there would be than to cause, potentially, a chain reaction that I think would not
    47
    be in the best interest of the President.

    Sometimes lawyers have to do things that their clients maybe don't like in the
    moment, but you do them because, in your judgment as a lawyer, it's the correct thing to
    do.
    Q Why, in your judgment as a lawyer, was this the correct thing to do?
    A Well, I can say what I just said. But my fear was, delivering that sort of
    pressure onto Rosenstein, even if it was short -- and I use the word "pressure" to say,
    even if it was short of a clear direction, could've caused Rod to react in ways that were
    unforeseen and could've caused a major issue
    that would've been, you know, in
    hindsight, you know, an inflection point.
    He doesn't come out and say that trump asked him to do something he thought was illegal, but that seems to be a pretty strong implication.

    Double edit: I realize that it might not be clear what historical example he's talking about. They're talking about the saturday night massacre:

    -- it says, "McGahn was concerned about having any role in asking the Acting
    Attorney General to fire the special counsel because he had grown up in the Reagan era
    and wanted to be more like Judge Robert Bork and not 'Saturday Night Massacre Bork.'"
    Ex3:
    He does pull his statement back a bit:
    Different than what we're talking about here. Let's not read too much into my
    invocation of "Saturday Night Massacre," because the President never, for example, got
    anywhere near ordering shutting down the office of Mueller. It was Mueller and conflicts.
    But it suggests he thought trump's actions still wouldn't be viewed as legal by rosenstein, otherwise there'd be no reason for him to resign.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2021-06-11 at 06:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

  10. #73690
    So when Barr was asked by Harris at his confirmation committee hearing if the white house asked or suggested that the DoJ open an investigation into anyone, and Barr after fumbling with the word about not understanding what suggest meant, his answer was "I don't know." But he in fact did know with certainty that the white house open an investigation into Schiff and Comey, and therefore he lied under oath, sounds like perjury to my laymen's brain. /shrug.

  11. #73691
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    So when Barr was asked by Harris at his confirmation committee hearing if the white house asked or suggested that the DoJ open an investigation into anyone, and Barr after fumbling with the word about not understanding what suggest meant, his answer was "I don't know." But he in fact did know with certainty that the white house open an investigation into Schiff and Comey, and therefore he lied under oath, sounds like perjury to my laymen's brain. /shrug.
    The problem is that you can't prove "I don't know" is a lie, even if Barr knew at some point prior to the hearing that there was an investigation you can't prove he remembered it at that time.

    That is why the answer is so often "I don't know". Because unless your 100% sure, "I don't know" is a safe answer. While being 90% sure and being wrong can land you a perjury charge.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  12. #73692
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Someone summon @Breccia and probably @cubby
    We got some freshly dug up Trump shenanigans

    Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Focused on Democrats in Congress

    and before you say "paywall" they added some gift share thing, so anyone can see that article for the next 14 days, and it wont count against your feebies
    Isn't this what Trump and co. were so rabidly going after Obama for supposedly doing?

  13. #73693
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,244
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    "I don't know."
    Shame. "I don't remember" is borderline admission. People do sometimes say "I don't know" when it's true.

  14. #73694
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    31,911
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    Someone summon @Breccia and probably @cubby
    We got some freshly dug up Trump shenanigans

    Hunting Leaks, Trump Officials Focused on Democrats in Congress
    As the Justice Department investigated who was behind leaks of classified information early in the Trump administration, it took a highly unusual step: Prosecutors subpoenaed Apple for data from the accounts of at least two Democrats on the House Intelligence Committee, aides and family members. One was a minor.

    All told, the records of at least a dozen people tied to the committee were seized in 2017 and early 2018, including those of Representative Adam B. Schiff of California, then the panel’s top Democrat and now its chairman, according to committee officials and two other people briefed on the inquiry.

    Prosecutors, under the beleaguered attorney general, Jeff Sessions, were hunting for the sources behind news media reports about contacts between Trump associates and Russia. Ultimately, the data and other evidence did not tie the committee to the leaks, and investigators debated whether they had hit a dead end and some even discussed closing the inquiry.

    But William P. Barr revived languishing leak investigations after he became attorney general a year later. He moved a trusted prosecutor from New Jersey with little relevant experience to the main Justice Department to work on the Schiff-related case and about a half-dozen others, according to three people with knowledge of his work who did not want to be identified discussing federal investigations.
    and before you say "paywall" they added some gift share thing, so anyone can see that article for the next 14 days, and it wont count against your feebies
    Just another nail in the coffin as we see how deep Trump's private law firm the DoJ went to further Donnie's political vendettas. Ultimately, a lot of this won't in any way be punishable. Unfortunately, the way the DoJ is set up, it can be highly politicalized, and certainly taken advantage of by, say, con men elected to Residency who in previous jobs ran scam-based "universities" and stole millions from people through a "foundation".

    The only solution is to revamp how the DoJ is appointed, from the top down. We've discussed this before on this forum, and few good solutions exist. My favorite, and I'll be the first to admit it wouldn't work that well, would be to have the SCOTUS appoint the AG to a 10-year term (by vote or something), and the AG fills the political slots at the top, with the career staff running pretty much the way they do now.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-06-11 at 04:03 PM.

  15. #73695
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    So when Barr was asked by Harris at his confirmation committee hearing if the white house asked or suggested that the DoJ open an investigation into anyone, and Barr after fumbling with the word about not understanding what suggest meant, his answer was "I don't know." But he in fact did know with certainty that the white house open an investigation into Schiff and Comey, and therefore he lied under oath, sounds like perjury to my laymen's brain. /shrug.
    Here we go again. Will Barr ever face consequences. He will likely, stop every chance to go into Congress. The Republicans and powers that be will keep him out of jail.

    So tired. Yet, this is some explosive shit. As stated the Executive Branch spying on member of Congress is some serious crime.

    Can we impeach Trump a Third time?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Just another nail in the coffin as we see how deep Trump's private law firm the DoJ went to further Donnie's political vendettas. Ultimately, a lot of this won't in any way be punishable. Unfortunately, the way the DoJ is set up, it can be highly politicalized, and certainly taken advantage of by, say, con men elected to Residency who in previous jobs ran scam-based "universities" and stole millions from people through a "foundation".

    The only solution is to revamp how the DoJ is appointed, from the top down. We've discussed this before on this forum, and few good solutions exist. My favorite, and I'll be the first to admit it wouldn't work that well, would be to have the SCOTUS appoint the AG to a 10-year term (by vote or something), and the AG fills the political slots at the top, with the career staff running pretty much the way they do now.
    Seriously shows how and why the DOJ should be separate from Executive Branch.

    I admit not too in depth of past AG's but Barr by many miles has to be the worse.

    Also funny but we all understood that the part of SMALL GOVERNMENT who always spoke out against the Executive Branch with too much power championed that shit. Under GWB, Cheney along with Barr had these idea of unlimited reach by the President.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  16. #73696
    https://apnews.com/article/fl-state-...5d56938276d1f1

    Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis signed a bill into law Friday that is meant to give relief to a large sector of the state’s insurance industry.

    Faced with losses from rising claims, the industry welcomed changes that would restrict some practices by contractors. The law would forbid contractors from soliciting homeowners to file roofing claims. The law also would narrow the time frame in which homeowners can file claims, from three years to two years, and enacts new rules on litigation.

    While some insurers say the new measures will help keep costs down, critics say it could raise premiums on homeowners who get coverage from the state’s provider of last resort. The same legislation raised the cap on annual rate increases that the government-backed insurer, Citizens Property Insurance, can charge its customers. That cap will rise from 10% to 15% over the next five years.
    Ron DeSantis, potential 2024 running mate for Trump or potential 2024 Republican presidential candidate, looking out for the regular people as governor of Florida.

    You know, the home insurance industry which just really doesn't like it when people make claims so they can receive the benefits of the insurance they pay monthly premiums for.

    Just another reminder that Republicans don't care about regular Americans, just whatever businesses can line their pockets.

  17. #73697
    Thursday's report:

    14,880 new cases; about 10k fewer than two weeks ago.

    Top 5:

    Fuck Florida.
    Texas: 1,797 new cases; 33 deaths
    California: 1,086 new cases; 47 deaths
    New York: 821 new cases; 19 deaths
    Washington: 713 new cases; 10 deaths

    No real surprises here, and it remains encouraging that, even factoring in Florida's ~2k total missing from the report, we're still shedding several thousand cases from previous daily totals. The biggest threat right now remains the variants, and the Delta variant in particular. I believe all of the current vaccines have been tested and found effective against them, so now we just need more people to step forward to present arms. No, not those arms Texas, settle the fuck down. Anyway, some other good news is that as of yesterday all states have a positivity rate under 5%, though a few like Montana and Alabama are just barely scraping under. As a reminder, Alabama's vaccination rate is only around 36%, so they'd better fucking be prepared if the Delta variant shows up.

    424 deaths is about 250 fewer than two weeks ago and brings the total to 614,007. As a reminder, those huge differences need to be taken with some skepticism given that Florida is no longer reporting how many of their residents they get killed even though they were consistently topping the charts for over a month. If I had to guess I'd tally them up for at least 50, possibly closer to 75, based on what was happening there before they stopped sharing information.

    Related news:

    More COVID deaths already reported in 2021 than in all of 2020--This is worldwide, but just in case anyone needed some form of wake up call for how serious this shit still is.

    Stay safe, folks.

  18. #73698
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Related news:

    More COVID deaths already reported in 2021 than in all of 2020--This is worldwide, but just in case anyone needed some form of wake up call for how serious this shit still is.

    Stay safe, folks.
    How much of that is India?
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  19. #73699
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    How much of that is India?
    I don't have that number, but I'm sure they make up a lot of it--though the US was also losing 2-3k+ daily for the first few months of the year. It's fairly irrelevant in any case because, as per the article:

    The White House also raised concerns Tuesday over recent data suggesting vaccines were significantly less effective after one dose against the B.1.617.2 variant first identified in India. President Biden's chief medical adviser, Dr. Anthony Fauci, urged Americans to "make sure you get that second dose."

    Dubbed the "Delta" variant by the World Health Organization, that mutation now appears to be driving outbreaks of cases in several countries around the world, even in the United Kingdom where 6 in 10 residents have at least one shot of a COVID-19 vaccine. Health officials say there's evidence that being fully vaccinated still offers protection against all known variants.

    In the U.S., B.1.617.2 has already been spotted by labs in 49 states. "Nowcast" projections published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate it could make up 6.1% of circulating virus in the country.
    In other words, if people don't get fully vaccinated in the States there could still be a giant deadly outbreak there.

  20. #73700
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    In other words, if people don't get fully vaccinated in the States there could still be a giant deadly outbreak there.
    At this point, part of me wishes it would just to let Darwin sort this stuff out, would lead to a more educated electorate in the coming elections too. But the fact is most children aren't vaccinated yet either and don't want to hurt those who are innocent because of those who are ignorant.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •