Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    why would Barr be terrified? Unless he has broken an actual law the best Congress can do is shake their finger at him.
    Well, he could easily be forced into the situation where he must
    1) Tell the truth under oath about all that stuff he did, or
    2) Lie under oath

I don't believe the WH will protect him from testifying.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    2) Lie under oath

Let's say he lies under oath. Then what? Nothing's going to happen.

2) Lie under oath

4 magic words.
    I
    Do
    Not
    Remember

And ignoring that, so what if he tells about all the stuff he did?
    Nothing he did is actually illegal. Extremely unethic and unbefitting of a Attorney General but again, so what? Congress has no power over citizen Barr and nothing to forward to the DoJ without a law being broken.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

why would Barr be terrified? Unless he has broken an actual law the best Congress can do is shake their finger at him.
    Depravation of rights under the color of law. Carries up to life sentence. Depends how far they consider the consequences of barr's actions, but it's likely a year prison sentence as no one was harmed or killed directly.

- - - Updated - - -

4 magic words.
    I
    Do
    Not
    Remember
    Those 4 words aren't as magic as you seem to think. If it can be argued persuasively that you do remember, claiming you don't remember can also be perjury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Depravation of rights under the color of law. Carries up to life sentence. Depends how far they consider the consequences of barr's actions, but it's likely a year prison sentence as no one was harmed or killed directly.

- - - Updated - - -

Those 4 words aren't as magic as you seem to think. If it can be argued persuasively that you do remember, claiming you don't remember can also be perjury.
    Except from what I understand the DoJ has the right to subpoena those records. They shouldn't do so lightly, especially for members of congress but they have the right to do so.

And trying to prove someone does actually remember facts from 3+ years ago in court to get a perjury conviction is going to be a nightmare.

Except from what I understand the DoJ has the right to subpoena those records. They shouldn't do so lightly, especially for members of congress but they have the right to do so.

And trying to prove someone does actually remember facts from 3+ years ago in court to get a perjury conviction is going to be a nightmare.
    Read what I linked. You can do things that otherwise would be legal, for ill-gotten reasons, and they become illegal.

Edit: For a different example, a police officer has the right to look up people's information when they pull them over. If they look up that information, then copy it down so they can call them later to try to hit on them, that's illegal. The act of looking it up, an otherwise legal part of their occupation, becomes illegal.

Double Edit: I'm not saying he's going to be convicted. I'm saying that he should be worried about how vindictive the DOJ might become as a reaction to his norm breaking.
    Last edited by Ripster42; 2021-06-14 at 02:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Let's say he lies under oath. Then what?
    Lying to Congress is a felony.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm saying that he should be worried about how vindictive the DOJ might become as a reaction to his norm breaking.
    I cannot imagine how many friends/allies Barr lost while forcing Trump's illegal investigations. He should not expect any professional courtesy when he showed none himself.

Read what I linked. You can do things that otherwise would be legal, for ill-gotten reasons, and they become illegal.

Edit: For a different example, a police officer has the right to look up people's information when they pull them over. If they look up that information, then copy it down so they can call them later to try to hit on them, that's illegal. The act of looking it up, an otherwise legal part of their occupation, becomes illegal.

Double Edit: I'm not saying he's going to be convicted. I'm saying that he should be worried about how vindictive the DOJ might become as a reaction to his norm breaking.
    But, we don't have any information about what they did with those records right? Unless they used them for something they shouldn't, like blackmail, there is no crime.

"We looked hoping to find something but we didn't, the end" is not a crime when the reason for looking (trying to find the leaks) is 'good enough'.

And Barr is an slimebag devoid of morals, but I don't see him as someone stupid enough to actually break the law for Trump.

I hope this is the impetus for Garland/Biden to clean house of any/all Trump appointees and hires.

Lying to Congress is a felony.

- - - Updated - - -

I cannot imagine how many friends/allies Barr lost while forcing Trump's illegal investigations. He should not expect any professional courtesy when he showed none himself.
    We know its illegal, I think most are disillusioned any real punishment would come of it.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    We know its illegal, I think most are disillusioned any real punishment would come of it.
    We've seen repeatedly that Congress doesn't care when people lie to them. Unless it's about getting a blowjob. In which case, "IMPEACH HIM!!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Normally, and maybe this time, yes. But remember, Barr could be forced to admit, to Congress, that he was spying on Congress. Even Democrats might take action, considering they were the victims.

Even Democrats might take action, considering they were the victims.
    That would require them to be something beyond paper tigers when they have power, a really tall order for them to do. If they actually grow a spine for once in my lifetime, I will be at a loss for words.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Unfortunately, nothing is going to happen. This Trump appointee who literally investigated political enemies of Trump is ending his term when he would have anyways - end of June. And the rest can pretend they didn't know.

Felonious actions. Zero accountability. Zero prosecutions. The Trump way. MAGA.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Unfortunately, nothing is going to happen.
    Sadly, this is my take. We have at least a handful of Trump officials who have objectively lied and been shown to have lied to Congress over the years but Congress, specifically the Democrats in congress, are too afraid to go after them. Likely because of "bad optics", which is a load of horse shit.

Normally, and maybe this time, yes. But remember, Barr could be forced to admit, to Congress, that he was spying on Congress. Even Democrats might take action, considering they were the victims.
    I desperately want you to be right, but I'm not betting on it.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Barr will be disbarred most likely.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Don’t hold your breath. Rudy still has his license.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    If that happens I'll find a hat to eat, because given the gross behavior we've seen from lawyers over the past four years, who remain practicing lawyers, I ain't remotely convinced that's in the realm of possibility. Much less actually likely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Don’t hold your breath. Rudy still has his license.
    And Lyn Wood. And Sidney Powell. I think the only person who actually lost their law license was Michael Cohen, and that was for felony conviction of lying under oath. Which I don't see in the future of any of these people, though Rudy is likely fucked for other reasons at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If that happens I'll find a hat to eat, because given the gross behavior we've seen from lawyers over the past four years, who remain practicing lawyers, I ain't remotely convinced that's in the realm of possibility. Much less actually likely.

- - - Updated - - -

And Lyn Wood. And Sidney Powell. I think the only person who actually lost their law license was Michael Cohen, and that was for felony conviction of lying under oath. Which I don't see in the future of any of these people, though Rudy is likely fucked for other reasons at this point.
    Yeah, it’s crazy how hard it is to get a lawyer disbarred these days.