1. #73801
    Monday's report:

    11,127 new cases, roughly 4k fewer than last Monday.

    Top 5:

    Fuck Florida.
    California: 1,105 new cases; 12 deaths
    Texas: 852 new cases; 3 deaths
    Louisiana: 554 new cases; 7 deaths
    Arizona: 394 new cases; no deaths reported

    These are from Monday, so as usual they're underreported--though not as badly as in the weekend where half the country doesn't bother anymore. We're still seeing a decent decline in cases week to week as the vaccination effort progresses, though Delta is rearing its ugly head throughout the country. Over half the states have a 50% or higher vaccination rate; the usual suspects are bringing up the rear--including Alabama who stopped reporting daily last week. Positivity is also still under 5% in all states, though Misery is just barely under at about 4.9%.

    237 deaths is over 100 fewer than last Monday and brings the total to 615,328. Florida, New York and North Carolina topped the list this time but we're continuing to see the numbers decline here as well as time goes on. Only 7 states reported double-digits (though I expect this will increase as usual as the week progresses) and the 7-day average is down to around 360.

    Related news:

    Vermont drops all Covid restrictions as first state to reach 80% vaccination--There is the caveat that "municipalities and businesses" may continue the precautionary practices if they see fit which I think is good and should be the norm as things go forward. New York will also be lifting nearly all restrictions as they've passed the 70% threshold.

    US COVID-19 deaths hit 600,000, equal to yearly cancer toll--"It's just one guy coming in from China..."

    Study finds a quarter of people with COVID-19 had new medical problems after--This is going to be with us in some form or another for a very long time--and for some people, the rest of their lives.

    Stay safe, folks.

  2. #73802
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Monday's report:

    11,127 new cases, roughly 4k fewer than last Monday.

    Top 5:

    Fuck Florida.
    California: 1,105 new cases; 12 deaths
    Texas: 852 new cases; 3 deaths
    Louisiana: 554 new cases; 7 deaths
    Arizona: 394 new cases; no deaths reported

    These are from Monday, so as usual they're underreported--though not as badly as in the weekend where half the country doesn't bother anymore. We're still seeing a decent decline in cases week to week as the vaccination effort progresses, though Delta is rearing its ugly head throughout the country. Over half the states have a 50% or higher vaccination rate; the usual suspects are bringing up the rear--including Alabama who stopped reporting daily last week. Positivity is also still under 5% in all states, though Misery is just barely under at about 4.9%.

    237 deaths is over 100 fewer than last Monday and brings the total to 615,328. Florida, New York and North Carolina topped the list this time but we're continuing to see the numbers decline here as well as time goes on. Only 7 states reported double-digits (though I expect this will increase as usual as the week progresses) and the 7-day average is down to around 360.

    Related news:

    Vermont drops all Covid restrictions as first state to reach 80% vaccination--There is the caveat that "municipalities and businesses" may continue the precautionary practices if they see fit which I think is good and should be the norm as things go forward. New York will also be lifting nearly all restrictions as they've passed the 70% threshold.

    US COVID-19 deaths hit 600,000, equal to yearly cancer toll--"It's just one guy coming in from China..."

    Study finds a quarter of people with COVID-19 had new medical problems after--This is going to be with us in some form or another for a very long time--and for some people, the rest of their lives.

    Stay safe, folks.
    Those states where people aren’t vaccinating and have no plans to should be seriously worried about Delta. I just hope it doesn’t mutate into Gamma or w/e and cause issues for people who weren’t too stupid to get the jab.

  3. #73803
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Those states where people aren’t vaccinating and have no plans to should be seriously worried about Delta. I just hope it doesn’t mutate into Gamma or w/e and cause issues for people who weren’t too stupid to get the jab.
    Unfortunately those who choose not to vaccinate already believe that the vaccine is worse than the Delta variant and no amount of evidence is going to convince them otherwise. I fully expect another surge to go blasting through areas like Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama in the upcoming months as everywhere drops their restrictions and folks flock to areas for vacations before bringing the virus back home with them.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  4. #73804
    Third Impeachment anyone?

    /snark.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States…. [It is] nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”

    -Isaac Asimov

  5. #73805
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Unfortunately those who choose not to vaccinate already believe that the vaccine is worse than the Delta variant and no amount of evidence is going to convince them otherwise. I fully expect another surge to go blasting through areas like Florida, Mississippi, and Alabama in the upcoming months as everywhere drops their restrictions and folks flock to areas for vacations before bringing the virus back home with them.
    I expect Florida will be "fine" (even though they're still the worst in the country in terms of cases/deaths). Their vaccination rate isn't the highest but it's not terrible either, and this is likely off the back of their largely elderly population.

    Also, for those who need to hear it, Gamma comes before Delta in the Greek alphabet (and this particular naming convention). The next would be Epsilon, and that was already given to a variant found in California: https://gvn.org/covid-19/epsilon-b-1-427-b-1-429/. Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa and Lambda have also all been assigned.

    Severity/danger of a variant isn't higher the higher in the alphabet it's labeled. Variants of interest are assigned a letter and may later be elevated to "variant of concern"--such as Delta.

  6. #73806
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,763
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    That's a little too tortured of logic to make a good start on things, Breccia.
    That looks like failure to condemn dictators in the USA. Considering you read what you quoted -- you did, didn't you? -- and failed to condemn dictatorship in the USA, I have no choice but to assume that's direct admission you support dictatorship in the USA.

    I put it right over the plate, dude.

  7. #73807
    Scarab Lord Poopymonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    4,866
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    They want an investigation, but not an investigation.
    Lynching I think is the word you're looking for. They want to lynch the capitol officer who defended themselves from a terrorist attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

  8. #73808
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    They want to lynch the capitol officer who defended themselves from a terrorist attack.
    ...Mike Pence? Are we talking about the calls to lynch Mike Pence by Trump-inspired murderous insurrectionists?

  9. #73809
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    ...Mike Pence? Are we talking about the calls to lynch Mike Pence by Trump-inspired murderous insurrectionists?
    Think they are talking about the officer who shot that woman, Ashli Babbitt, who climbed the window at the Capitol. Not Mike Pence.

    Last edited by Santti; 2021-06-15 at 08:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Money laundering, especially prior to his election? I couldn't give a flying fuck.

  10. #73810
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I expect Florida will be "fine" (even though they're still the worst in the country in terms of cases/deaths). Their vaccination rate isn't the highest but it's not terrible either, and this is likely off the back of their largely elderly population.

    Also, for those who need to hear it, Gamma comes before Delta in the Greek alphabet (and this particular naming convention). The next would be Epsilon, and that was already given to a variant found in California: https://gvn.org/covid-19/epsilon-b-1-427-b-1-429/. Zeta, Eta, Theta, Iota, Kappa and Lambda have also all been assigned.

    Severity/danger of a variant isn't higher the higher in the alphabet it's labeled. Variants of interest are assigned a letter and may later be elevated to "variant of concern"--such as Delta.
    Thanks for the clarification about Gamma coming before Delta.

    As far as later mutations being or not being dangerous as compared to Delta, presumably MOST of them will be the same or even weaker. The problem is, it only takes one much worse one to really mess things up for a lot of people.

    7 letters at least have already been assigned. That's a lot of mutations. Most of them will pass by without notice. YAY that's the good news.

  11. #73811
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Think they are talking about the officer who shot that woman, who climbed out the window at the Capitol. Not Mike Pence.
    Oh dear, my mistake. I wasn't sure which Washington public servant doing their job that Trump supporters want murdered without trial we were talking about.

    On topic: Trump cultist Stefanik backs Trump on Trump's use of DoJ subpoenas to investigate House Democrats. Her basic point seems to be "we deserve to know if there were illegal leaks".

    Not a huge surprise. Trump supporters should be assumed to back Trump unless they specifically say otherwise. That's why I'm calling them out on these forums and giving them the chance to say otherwise, then pointing out when they don't. But I'm making a note of this for when an investigation is called for into, say, Trump pushing for the DoJ to overturn an election, and she tries to block it.

    Oh wait she already did that.

  12. #73812
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification about Gamma coming before Delta.

    As far as later mutations being or not being dangerous as compared to Delta, presumably MOST of them will be the same or even weaker. The problem is, it only takes one much worse one to really mess things up for a lot of people.

    7 letters at least have already been assigned. That's a lot of mutations. Most of them will pass by without notice. YAY that's the good news.
    11 letters. But there have been more variants than that--just not ones that were significantly different enough to warrant much concern. Delta is by far the worst right now, both because it is more easily transmissible and because it apparently has about double the risk of hospitalization as the early Alpha variant. Fortunately the vaccines have proven effective against it, but of course those refusing the vaccine are also putting others who CAN'T get the vaccine at risk AND increasing the chances that Delta mutates into something else--possibly something worse.

  13. #73813
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,763
    We are fucked. They are coming for us,
    -- the Proud Boys

    Text messages and recordings of the Proud Boys have been revealed for court use.

    Another member said that the situation "completely fucking crashes and burns on us." The same person went on to criticize other Proud Boys who handled communications and security on January 6, saying, "I mean, fuck, 'tifa looks like professionals compared to us," referring to Antifa.

    In the Proud Boys chat, someone called on Proud Boys leader Enrique Tarrio to resign. (Tarrio was arrested in DC on an unrelated charge one day before the riot.) The audio chat contained other debates about the group's leaders, whether they were still doing a good job, the role that indicted members should play in the group and whether they should continue doing rallies.

    "I understand where we're at in the frat," Nordean said, according to court filings form his lawyers. "I understand that we've taken some risks that we shouldn't have taken. We've done some things we shouldn't have done. Ok, but they've been done, and we need to learn from 'em."

    Nordean also said he was no longer a Trump supporter, according to the rough transcript.

    One member was shocked by the potential prison sentences for people convicted of the most serious offenses related to January 6. They said: "Twenty goddam years? Man, no matter what we do they're going to throw the fucking book at us." Other members discussed federal conviction rates and prison terms, and suggested that the best option might be to plead guilty.

    And a member said he thought the group decided against going to DC for January 6. He said he was confused and upset that members ended up going and hurting the group's public image.

    The messages became public on the same day Attorney General Merrick Garland announced new efforts by the Justice Department to crack down on domestic terrorism and extremism.
    Disorder. Failure. Cowardice. Weeping. And the American Nazi version of the Moar DoTs voice chat.

    I love this development so much.

  14. #73814
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    -- the Proud Boys

    Text messages and recordings of the Proud Boys have been revealed for court use.



    Disorder. Failure. Cowardice. Weeping. And the American Nazi version of the Moar DoTs voice chat.

    I love this development so much.
    Its all fun and games until you get swept up in the moment and become part of a murderous insurrection charging Capitol Hill.

    Not that I have any sympathy for these people. They deserve all of it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  15. #73815
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    31,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Not that I have any sympathy for these people.
    I'm not sure if "sympathy" covers how I feel about the cosplay Nazis, the ones who were only into light to moderate racism and homophobia and were basically caught on tape/text saying "Whoa whoa whoa! Nobody said anything about being real Nazis! Screw this, I'm out!" I'm not sure the ones that flaked out of their coward group for being a double coward should get 20 years in jail, but if their names come up due to mandatory court disclosure I won't lose sleep when their bosses find out.

  16. #73816
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    11 letters. But there have been more variants than that--just not ones that were significantly different enough to warrant much concern. Delta is by far the worst right now, both because it is more easily transmissible and because it apparently has about double the risk of hospitalization as the early Alpha variant. Fortunately the vaccines have proven effective against it, but of course those refusing the vaccine are also putting others who CAN'T get the vaccine at risk AND increasing the chances that Delta mutates into something else--possibly something worse.
    The Delta mutation:

    Transmission Rate: If I understand correctly, Delta about doubles the chance of infecting a vaccinated person. The vaccine still has way over a 50% chance of successfully thwarting the virus, but statistics says that a lot more vaccinated people will get the virus anyways.

    Severity: Once again, if I understand correctly, the vaccines still significantly reduces the severity of the symptoms of people who get the Delta mutation despite being vaccinated, but the odds of being hospitalized are still noticeably higher then other versions of the virus.

    Does this sound about right?

  17. #73817


    Just popped up from my algorithm. It's Colbert's fault!!!!!

  18. #73818
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    That looks like failure to condemn dictators in the USA. Considering you read what you quoted -- you did, didn't you? -- and failed to condemn dictatorship in the USA, I have no choice but to assume that's direct admission you support dictatorship in the USA.

    I put it right over the plate, dude.
    Therefore, all Trump supporters are assumed to also support dictatorship in the US unless they specifically and directly refute this move by Trump.
    I'm just gonna assume you're [in favor of X thing] unless you [Say Y Right now]
    I don't know the type of person you commonly deal with, but making demands of positions subject to asserted "are assumed" is something you'd say to a slave or someone of lower class in a caste system. So I suggest to you, if you want to deal with any self-respecting free person around, you refrain from puerile demands under threat of your personal assumptions.

    I'm sure there's a measure of interaction possible here if you choose to engage with people of opposite perspectives with respect. I'm going to assume you also can read, and decide if you attach enough importance to my online presence here to choose to understand my meaning and react. But your initial foray will not do.
    "I wish it need not have happened in my time." "So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

  19. #73819
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post


    Just popped up from my algorithm. It's Colbert's fault!!!!!
    Well, it's official now. Scott Bakula is the person at fault of Donald Trump. If he didn't go back in time and gave him that tidbit, who knows what would have happened. Everyone knows nothing good ever comes from going back in time. Too many things can go wrong.

  20. #73820
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdang View Post
    I don't know the type of person you commonly deal with, but making demands of positions subject to asserted "are assumed" is something you'd say to a slave or someone of lower class in a caste system. So I suggest to you, if you want to deal with any self-respecting free person around, you refrain from puerile demands under threat of your personal assumptions.

    I'm sure there's a measure of interaction possible here if you choose to engage with people of opposite perspectives with respect. I'm going to assume you also can read, and decide if you attach enough importance to my online presence here to choose to understand my meaning and react. But your initial foray will not do.
    You just sound like a bad faith poster now. You’ve not answered a direct question twice now.

    I read it, and it’s pretty strait forward, Trump tried to subvert democracy and tried to be a Dictator. Do you support that behavior?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •