1. #75041
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It definitely could be an attention grab. If so, it's stupid (not that he does anything intelligently) because it unnecessarily exposes their Dear Leader to subpoena.
    If he's baiting, it exposes nobody because the subpoena will be issued and he'll be able to respond, "The call I mentioned doesn't actually exist and you fell for my carefully laid trap to PROVE that this is all a partisan war on Republicans!"

    There's no real downside to this for him. It's red meat for the Republican base that doesn't care about reality. "Oh, he lied about the call? That doesn't matter, what matters is that THE DEMOCRATS BELIEVED HIM AND TRIED TO SILENCE HIM AND LOCK HIM UP!"

  2. #75042
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    32,103
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    If he's baiting, it exposes nobody because the subpoena will be issued and he'll be able to respond, "The call I mentioned doesn't actually exist and you fell for my carefully laid trap to PROVE that this is all a partisan war on Republicans!"

    There's no real downside to this for him. It's red meat for the Republican base that doesn't care about reality. "Oh, he lied about the call? That doesn't matter, what matters is that THE DEMOCRATS BELIEVED HIM AND TRIED TO SILENCE HIM AND LOCK HIM UP!"
    I disagree.

    The GQP will believe anything that Gym tells them, so the upside doesn't exist because they can just make whatever upside they want. So if it's not this, it will be something else, and something else after that, and then something else after that. A base that willfully elects someone like Gym Jordon doesn't need any reality to continue frothing at the mouth.

    Conversely, if he is subpoenaed, and then tells everyone under oath that he lied, well, then he's a liar. However, if he tells the Committee that he did speak with Trump, but refuses to answer any substantive questions, it opens the door for getting Trump under oath. The upside is all for the Democrats here.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    At this point, honestly, I'd rather just get a booster and let the Repubs get infected and die off to decrease their numbers, so sanity can return.

    This is easily one of the stupidest unforced errors in world history.

    We have to look inward as a country, ALL OF US, and really start to question what about our country-wide core beliefs and foundations, have allowed us rear so many stupid and awful people, then fix it.
    The problem is non-Republicans will die because of their stupidity. I have two children under the age of 12, and their vaccinations CAN'T happen until at least late this year. So all those fuckwads who don't vaccinate are endangering my children (on a personal level) and the health of this country (on a national level).

    I would rather just se la vie it and let the GQP die off, but it's not just them who are affected.

  3. #75043
    Tuesday's report:

    61,581 new cases; about 14k more than last Tuesday and doesn't include Florida (no numbers available).

    Top 5:

    Fuck Florida.
    California: 8,546 new cases; 24 deaths
    Texas: 7,961 new cases; 38 deaths
    Louisiana: 6,818 new cases; 20 deaths
    Georgia: 3,610 new cases; 16 deaths

    Yeah, this isn't going away anytime soon and it's definitely a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" as it's been dubbed by experts. For most of the states on the list that makes sense, and California definitely belongs up there when you consider the sheer amount of GOP stupidity in that state. You don't need to look any further than "Basilico's Pasta e Vino" and their policy of "proof of being unvaccinated required" for service at their restaurant. Whatever the fuck that means. Fortunately for California the Dems still far outnumber the QAnon conspiracy-theory bullshit loving members of the GOP. The numbers there are almost purely driven by those fucknuts these days. Elsewhere the picture is about the same. Areas with lower vaccination rates are skyrocketing in terms of new cases and/or risk and it's not showing any signs of slowing.

    339 deaths is about 50 fewer than last Tuesday and brings the total to 627,351. Once again this does not include Florida's numbers--looks like whatever magic worldometers was using to get daily reports from there has fizzled for the time being and we'll have to wait until Friday for Florida's weekly report--but they're undoubtedly still at the top of both charts given the way they were going at the end of last week. Texas and California round out the top 3 with 38 and 24.

    Related news:

    Louisiana sees highest spike in single-day Covid hospitalizations since start of pandemic--4th lowest vaccination rate in the country.
    “To see this current rise in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations is becoming increasingly scary,” Gov. John Bel Edwards said in a statement.

    According to him, roughly 90 percent of those hospitalized are unvaccinated. In a series of tweets Tuesday, Edwards urged residents to get the shots.

    "As I said recently, this surge is on us, & that means it is up to each of us to do our part to bring it to an end. It’s within our power," he posted. "Getting vaccinated is the best way to stay safe & healthy during this pandemic."

    Edwards said he would be recommending that everyone, including people who are vaccinated, wear masks while indoors when social distancing is not possible.

    "For anyone asking the question when will this end, the answer is simple: when we decide to do what it takes to end it. The most impactful tools to make that happen are free & widely available- the three safe & effective vaccines," he wrote on Twitter. "I am pleading with everyone who is not vaccinated & is of age to make the decision today to get vaccinated."
    Still nothing from DeathSantis about masks or other precautionary measures. Fuck Florida.

    CDC wants vaccinated Americans to wear masks indoors in Covid hot spots--Nice to see them FINALLY catch up to what I and many others here said months ago. I said back when they stated vaccinated people can go mask-less that that's a bad idea and boy do I hate when I'm right.

    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.

    Stay safe, folks.

  4. #75044
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    And yet another Simpsons episode has come true:


  5. #75045
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    That's the new GOP/Fox News line overall. Even fucking Hiraldo on Fox ain't buyin it, but Greg Gutfeld is sure selling it hard.

  6. #75046
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    And yet another Simpsons episode has come true
    The whole immigrant bringing diseases thing is a old racist trope.

  7. #75047
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I disagree.

    The GQP will believe anything that Gym tells them, so the upside doesn't exist because they can just make whatever upside they want. So if it's not this, it will be something else, and something else after that, and then something else after that. A base that willfully elects someone like Gym Jordon doesn't need any reality to continue frothing at the mouth.

    Conversely, if he is subpoenaed, and then tells everyone under oath that he lied, well, then he's a liar. However, if he tells the Committee that he did speak with Trump, but refuses to answer any substantive questions, it opens the door for getting Trump under oath. The upside is all for the Democrats here.

    - - - Updated - - -



    The problem is non-Republicans will die because of their stupidity. I have two children under the age of 12, and their vaccinations CAN'T happen until at least late this year. So all those fuckwads who don't vaccinate are endangering my children (on a personal level) and the health of this country (on a national level).

    I would rather just se la vie it and let the GQP die off, but it's not just them who are affected.
    Mask them and distance them. Its all you can do anyway. The idiots won't be swayed.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

  8. #75048
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    In an effort to put to put any doubts that he might be something other than a petulant child, it turns out Donald Trump is fighting Biden's infrastructure deal behind the scenes because he's mad there wasn't one when he was president:
    I've long felt that one of Trump's biggest political mistakes (aside from being his awful self of course) was ceding policy agenda immediately to the House GOP and their priorities instead of pushing for an infrastructure package right out of the gate. Of course, he's a narcissist who knows jack shit about policy, and utterly incapable of leadership when it came to a legislative agenda, so it was never going to happen, but imagine if at the start of his maladministration he said "I was elected because I'm a builder and I'm going to rebuild America"- if he had pushed hard for Congress to focus on infrastructure right off of the bat, he could've:
    a) used his grip on the GOP base to get the Reps and Senators to support a broad spending package
    b) put some Democrats in a hell of a pickle, with the prospect of something they've wanted to do for a long time on one hand, and on the other hand a base that was still furious about Trump's win and wanted resistance
    c) done something popular and gotten credit for it
    d) done something good
    e) increased his own approval rating because of c) and d)
    f) gotten a ton of shit named after him

    Honestly it's baffling why he didn't do this...but Trump being Trump, honestly it isn't baffling at all.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

  9. #75049
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I've long felt that one of Trump's biggest political mistakes (aside from being his awful self of course) was ceding policy agenda immediately to the House GOP and their priorities instead of pushing for an infrastructure package right out of the gate. Of course, he's a narcissist who knows jack shit about policy, and utterly incapable of leadership when it came to a legislative agenda, so it was never going to happen, but imagine if at the start of his maladministration he said "I was elected because I'm a builder and I'm going to rebuild America"- if he had pushed hard for Congress to focus on infrastructure right off of the bat, he could've:
    a) used his grip on the GOP base to get the Reps and Senators to support a broad spending package
    b) put some Democrats in a hell of a pickle, with the prospect of something they've wanted to do for a long time on one hand, and on the other hand a base that was still furious about Trump's win and wanted resistance
    c) done something popular and gotten credit for it
    d) done something good
    e) increased his own approval rating because of c) and d)
    f) gotten a ton of shit named after him

    Honestly it's baffling why he didn't do this...but Trump being Trump, honestly it isn't baffling at all.
    Don't underestimate the Congress of 'not doing shit'. I'm not so sure Trump could have overcome that. Its not for want of trying by some that under Trump nothing happened except the corporate tax cut, the GOP couldn't agree to anything to actually do while holding all 3 branches.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  10. #75050
    The Insane Teriz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Undermine
    Posts
    19,156
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Still nothing from DeathSantis about masks or other precautionary measures. Fuck Florida.
    Florida hiding their numbers is some really despicable shit.

  11. #75051
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    The whole immigrant bringing diseases thing is a old racist trope.
    Yep, about as old as America itself because why fix your own mistakes when it is so much easier to blame the immigrants or minorities over there for your woes.

  12. #75052
    Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    Yep, about as old as America itself because why fix your own mistakes when it is so much easier to blame the immigrants or minorities over there for your woes.
    "We're a nation of immigrants"

    also

    "THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE RUINING OUR NATION!"

  13. #75053
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Florida hiding their numbers is some really despicable shit.
    Ya, DeSantis is always fighting for the top spot of worst/dangerous Americans with the likes of Trump, Carlson, Murdoch, etc...

  14. #75054
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Just to make this clear. Jim Jordan said he talked to Trump but won't say more in a Fox interview.

    This did not happen before the jan 6th investigation committee and they will likely call upon him to testify.
    Ah ok I misunderstood what I read then thank you for clarifying.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    *oh yeah, he could plead the fifth. That'd be a good look on him! lol
    I heard that pleading the 5th means you are guilty.

  15. #75055
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Don't underestimate the Congress of 'not doing shit'. I'm not so sure Trump could have overcome that. Its not for want of trying by some that under Trump nothing happened except the corporate tax cut, the GOP couldn't agree to anything to actually do while holding all 3 branches.
    The corporate tax cut was done under reconciliation so didn't even need the super majority that accomplishing anything else would have needed in the senate. Still, if he had come up with something decent I'm pretty sure there'd be Democrats willing to support it... the trick would be finding that sweet spot where enough Republicans would still be willing to support it.

  16. #75056
    https://www.vox.com/2021/7/28/225945...dive-explained

    Y'all, Trump can't get his favored candidates elected and apparently he can't save Newsmax either. Shit's falling apart and they're losing their small audience to Fox News once more. Fairly interesting piece looking at why this is happening.

  17. #75057
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,679
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "We're a nation of immigrants"

    also

    "THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE RUINING OUR NATION!"
    This is a bad idea for the GOP to attempt. There's already been a move for GOP actors to act in their authority to stop immigration in any form. But, if you want to blame the rise of COVID in your state, saying "it's immigrants" while you're blocking immigrants will prove itself false.

    Yeah, yeah, you're going to say "their voters won't care" but that depends on how many of them die. The hypocrisy they've forced themselves to accept, the death count at some point could be a tipping point. Even if they won't vote blue, they might just stay home and look at the empty chair/sofa that used to hold a loved one.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2021-07-29 at 02:16 AM.

  18. #75058
    Gym Jordan admitting he talked to Trump on Jan 6th while complaining they need to “talk to the people who can explain why Congress didn’t have adequate security” is pretty funny. Basically saying they need to call him AND Trump to find out why he held back the NG.

  19. #75059
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,773
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    I don't like being a crazy person, but she said people were coming in from 88 countries.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  20. #75060
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,679
    WaPo reports that Trump called the Attorney General every day for his last month in office, pushing the election fraud conspiracy theory and asking what the AG could do to help Trump stay in office.

    "What did he say?"

    He said "I don't exist". Barr had already resigned. But Trump also called his acting AG Rosen.

    "Well smartass, what did he say?"

    During my tenure, no special prosecutors were appointed, whether for election fraud or otherwise. No public statements were made questioning the election. No letters were sent to State officials seeking to overturn the election results. No DOJ court actions or filings were submitted seeking to overturn election results
    "Wow, he said that to Trump?"

    Goodness no. He said that to Congress in May. On the phone with Trump he probably said "I'll see what I can do" and then did nothing. However, a quick search suggests that's true -- I can't find much of Rosen speaking out on the issue at the time. Trump, by contrast, was obsessed with the conspiracy theory that there was fraud to the point of mobilizing a murderous insurrection.

    The report goes to further Trump's deteriorating state of mind with regard to losing the election fairly. Hopefully this and other information comes forward that basically forces Trump to take the stand. I want him to say "I have no proof" under oath. I want this conspiracy theory shown to be as lame-ass, limp-dick, and most importantly IMPOTUS as its creator.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •