1. #75081
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,350
    WaPo reports that Trump called the Attorney General every day for his last month in office, pushing the election fraud conspiracy theory and asking what the AG could do to help Trump stay in office.

    "What did he say?"

    He said "I don't exist". Barr had already resigned. But Trump also called his acting AG Rosen.

    "Well smartass, what did he say?"

    During my tenure, no special prosecutors were appointed, whether for election fraud or otherwise. No public statements were made questioning the election. No letters were sent to State officials seeking to overturn the election results. No DOJ court actions or filings were submitted seeking to overturn election results
    "Wow, he said that to Trump?"

    Goodness no. He said that to Congress in May. On the phone with Trump he probably said "I'll see what I can do" and then did nothing. However, a quick search suggests that's true -- I can't find much of Rosen speaking out on the issue at the time. Trump, by contrast, was obsessed with the conspiracy theory that there was fraud to the point of mobilizing a murderous insurrection.

    The report goes to further Trump's deteriorating state of mind with regard to losing the election fairly. Hopefully this and other information comes forward that basically forces Trump to take the stand. I want him to say "I have no proof" under oath. I want this conspiracy theory shown to be as lame-ass, limp-dick, and most importantly IMPOTUS as its creator.

  2. #75082
    The Unstoppable Force Kaleredar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    phasing...
    Posts
    23,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.

    Stay safe, folks.
    And therein lies yet another example of conservative cognitive dissonance.

    Are the immigrants to blame for new COVID cases because they're unvaccinated or not wearing masks? Because conservatives are against both of those things.

    Or is it the old "immigrants are dirty and unwholesome and therefore more likely to spread diseases despite the fact that the god-fearing, clean conservatives take no additional efforts to mitigate catching or spreading the disease themselves."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

  3. #75083
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And therein lies yet another example of conservative cognitive dissonance.

    Are the immigrants to blame for new COVID cases because they're unvaccinated or not wearing masks? Because conservatives are against both of those things.

    Or is it the old "immigrants are dirty and unwholesome and therefore more likely to spread diseases despite the fact that the god-fearing, clean conservatives take no additional efforts to mitigate catching or spreading the disease themselves."
    Obviously it's that second one.

  4. #75084
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    And therein lies yet another example of conservative cognitive dissonance.
    And what is this?

    Here, we did — developed three highly effective vaccines in under one year. Honestly, it never occurred to me we would have difficulty getting people to take the vaccine.

    So, clearly, we have got a job to do to try to convince reluctant Americans of all types who seem to be holding back, unconvinced that this is the right thing to do.
    That's Mitch McConnell again, expressing surprise that "people" wouldn't get the vaccine while not admitting which "people" -- his own party. I don't know why he's taking this approach, it's not like he's worried about offending Trump -- Trump hasn't said "the vaccine is cursed, don't get it". He should be just directly telling his own voters "This is a good thing, you should do it".

  5. #75085
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I don't like being a crazy person, but she said people were coming in from 88 countries.
    Here I had thought it's one person from China. Strange...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  6. #75086
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Here I had thought it's one person from China. Strange...
    There’s 35 countries in the Americas. 88 was an odd number to pick. Unless…..

    slash puts on tin foil hat

    That number was picked for a reason.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  7. #75087
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    There’s 35 countries in the Americas. 88 was an odd number to pick. Unless…..

    slash puts on tin foil hat

    That number was picked for a reason.
    Would that involve counting letters? like let's see what we get....ah, but of course: HH
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  8. #75088
    Quote Originally Posted by Trifle View Post
    The corporate tax cut was done under reconciliation so didn't even need the super majority that accomplishing anything else would have needed in the senate. Still, if he had come up with something decent I'm pretty sure there'd be Democrats willing to support it... the trick would be finding that sweet spot where enough Republicans would still be willing to support it.
    Pretty much by definition is there is Democratic support the Republicans will not support it.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  9. #75089
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,350
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    I don't like being a crazy person, but she said people were coming in from 88 countries.
    Indeed. And I'm sure she also spelled out which of those 88 countries had higher positivity rates, cases per capita, and deaths per capita than us. Because the US, well, we're not doing great in those regards.



    As you can see, as a "continent" the US and Canada are, as of this week (look at that upwards swing) the worst "continent" in the world. And no, we're not the worst in the planet, but bear in mind those figures are being buoyed by Canada. (By the way, the border's still closed) Also, we have some states that compete with the worst countries out there. As a completely vindictive example, Alabama is proudly displaying a 275 new cases/100,000 people average. Look at those continent averages. Alabama is a ridiculous outlier. In fact, at time of writing, Alabama's cases/100k are higher than every country on the planet. Every single one. Just to drive this point home, the UK is spiking and not in a great place right now. Their cases/100k? 44. Compared to the US, that's not great at all. And they're not even in the top 10 (there are a few island nations like Cuba and Cyprus that are also not great) Compared to Alabama, they're about six times better.

    So she's being incredibly disingenuous, unless she also said "and we need to cut down on traffic from worse states like Alabama". Which, just going to guess, she didn't.

    But this wasn't Alabama. It was...Iowa? Well, they're doing much better by comparison, at 45 cases/100k people. Again, this is nothing to be proud of, even if it is one-sixth of Alabama. But there aren't 88 countries in the world worse than Iowa. Oh, look at that, spiking panicking UK is actually better than "block the immigrants" Iowa. And I don't think we're getting a lot of tourist trade from...(checks list)...Botswana, Georgia the country, or Kazahkstan.

    And just going to throw it out there, the USA's average is 20 and Mexico's is 9.

    So unless My Name-a the Borat is intentionally loading up planes full of sick people, no, it's not fucking immigrants. The governor of Iowa is, yes, blaming all her state's problems on immigrants as a scapegoat for her failures. I mean, seriously, who comes from overseas to live in fucking Iowa? Her state's as likely to be overrun with immigrants as it is to be hit by meteor. Maybe if DeSantis had said something about Cuba he'd have a point, but he's lying and hiding his numbers so he lost that privilege anyhow.

    So no, you don't sound like a crazy person. She does. The USA is worse than every continent, and Iowa is worse than almost every country of note, spared only by Spain and almost the UK. She's lying to cover her own failures, and trying to blame everyone but her and her voters who won't get immunized or put on a mask (Iowa is 22nd with a barely sub-50% vaccine rate).

  10. #75090
    That breakdown of vaccinations by State doesn't look very good. Even Illinois at 26th is worrisome considering we're preparing to throw open the doors to our schools with mask wearing just a suggestion for vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. A part of me thinks we're going to see one hell of a surge through the school systems at least one more time before this ends...or causes a new strand to mutate and sets us all back yet again.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

  11. #75091
    Scarab Lord Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    4,093
    Last edited by Zaydin; 2021-07-29 at 08:14 AM.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

  12. #75092
    i feel like if trump dies any time in the foreseeable future, we're gonna see unprecedented acts of neo-fascist violence across America. The way there is so much hatred cultivated around one man's personality and what's happened already is not making it look good.

    sure he has the best healthcare but he's old and he had his brother recently randomly die to believably natural causes.

  13. #75093
    I am Murloc! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    5,804


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  14. #75094
    Scarab Lord Zaydin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    FL, USA
    Posts
    4,093
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Well well well.

    <shocked_pikachu_face.gif>
    Oh I hope the Select Committee subpeonas him and asks him why he felt the need to wear body armor to a supposedly peaceful rally and who tipped him off about the 'risks' that made him decide to wear body armor.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

  15. #75095
    Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    i feel like if trump dies any time in the foreseeable future, we're gonna see unprecedented acts of neo-fascist violence across America. The way there is so much hatred cultivated around one man's personality and what's happened already is not making it look good.

    sure he has the best healthcare but he's old and he had his brother recently randomly die to believably natural causes.
    Is this self fulfilling prophecy you're talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

    Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

  16. #75096
    Wednesday's report:

    84,534 new cases; about 25k more than last Wednesday. Florida included.

    Top 5:

    Fuck Florida (over 16k according to worldometers)
    Texas: 9,524 new cases; 71 deaths
    California: 7,478 new cases; 39 deaths
    Louisiana: 4,699 new cases; 14 deaths
    Georgia: 3,828 new cases; 10 deaths

    Missouri has been out of the top 5 for a while but it's not because they're doing better, posting about 3k on the day and still refusing to report deaths. 23 states had more than 1k new cases to report and most of those are states with low vaccination rates. Florida continues blowing everyone out of the water in terms of death cults, however, still posting over double California's numbers. Texas is within reach of 10k again. Need a clearer picture of the trouble areas? Try this:

    As per usual, shit's going South.

    483 deaths is about 250 more than last Wednesday and brings the total to 628,098. That's a pretty huge difference but I'm inclined to believe it includes some corrections--and last week's total looked a bit low. Regardless, it's going up, as expected, and it's largely the unvaccinated paying the ultimate price here. Florida once again took top spot.

    Related news:

    Arkansas Children's hospitals report record high number of children hospitalized with Covid-19

    Of the 24 children, seven are in intensive care and two are on ventilators, the hospital said. More than half of them could have been vaccinated -- anyone 12 and over is eligible for a free shot -- but none of those hospitalized had done so.
    Parents refusing to get their children above age 12 vaccinated without a valid medical reason should be charged with child endangerment at this point.

    Abbott aims to restrict immigrant travel through Texas, citing rising Covid-19 infections--Another GOP governor trying to scapegoat immigrants because his own dumbfuck constituency can't follow simple rules and get vaccinated. Only 51% vaccinated (at least one dose), putting Texas 33rd in the nation. For comparison, if I included Puerto Rico (putting Texas 34th), they come in at 5th place with 69% (niiiice). I'm all in favor of kicking Texas out and making Puerto Rico a state.

    CDC says nearly 67% of U.S. counties have substantial, high COVID-19 transmission--Whether you're vaccinated or not, wear your fucking mask.

    Stay safe, folks.

  17. #75097
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,350
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Fuck Florida (over 16k according to worldometers)
    Florida has chosen to put itself in a bad place. And in case anyone is thinking "well of course they have a high number, they're a large state" *ahem*



    Florida is the second worst cases per capita.

    You know what, fuck it, let's run the goddam table. They're second worst hospitalized per 100k, yeah that's a stat that's a cheery fucking read, barely better than Nevada. They're 5th in deaths per 100k, well 6th if you include the Virgin Islands, see previous comments about island nations.

    And oddly enough, middle of the road with vaccination rates. Like, lampshading levels of coincidence, Florida is not only 25th but also matches the USA (rounded to the nearest %) at about 50%.

    "Breccia, if Florida has a decent vaccination rate, why are they all getting sick and dying?"

    I've seen bits and pieces here and there, so I won't claim there's a consensus. But my theory is threefold.

    1) Old people. Florida by average age is 5th oldest (again 6th behind an island territory). Any disease will simply have a higher infection/mortality rate when exposed to an older, weaker population.

    2) Having been there myself, I can attest to that the non-Disneyland areas of Florida are...not great economically. They're the tenth worst by average income, and while cost of living changes place to place, so therefore does quality, quantity, and accessibility of medical care. While Florida as a whole has decent health care, the swamps and panhandle do not.

    3) DeSantis intentionally fueled a "fuck the public safety, we have T-shirts to sell" campaign that half the population took to heart, then to their lungs, then to the ICU. I would wager more than most states, certain people in Florida trying to decide whether to have fewer grades of education than teeth took to heart that they didn't need to "live their lives in fear" by wearing a mask, socially distancing, getting takeout, working from home (well, if possible, see above comment regarding income, and farmers don't really have that option so this isn't 100% a negative) or, yes, getting the vaccine. We've all seen the stories of people in some states decrying their "tyrant" governor using "unConstitutional" powers to keep their people safe against their will. Florida never had that. And with Delta cutting through them like vegan chili and a double espresso, they lack the will, the means, and the leadership to protect themselves.

    "What's it going to take to reverse this?"

    I...think it might be too late. And there are likely factors I haven't considered. But, if someone shook me awake and screamed at me to find a way to stop cases from rising, this would be it:

    1) It's not Communism, fascism, or tyranny when a company does it. That's capitalism. Disney needs to step in. Oh wait they just did. Anyhow, major Florida employers need to start requiring masking by guests and vaccination by employees. DeSantis might try to pass a law to stop that, but honestly, I'm not sure he can. Or, counterpoint, if Disney requires vaccination and DeSantis blocks it, Disney could just...close. Or cut ticket sales in half or something.

    I use "Disney" as an easy target. Other companies in Florida would have to do the same, but Disney's kind of a figurehead. Where they go, others will follow.

    I would add "schools" but...yeah. Florida schools requiring masks are few and far between, and I would bet DeSantis is fighting those. I don't think they require vaccinations to attend in person, at least, not according to Florida's health care department. Plus the whole "12 and under" thing of course.

    2) Blue states and airlines should make a collective deal and block traffic from Florida -- or require vaccination proof. And before you say "they already do" as a NY resident with a recent FL houseguest, no they don't. Other forms of travel, including truckers, should also have that slapped on. Maybe if their state is turned into a prison of their own making, some Floridians will roll their eyes, say "whatever" and get the shot.

    3) They could, well...die. I hate to say this because this would require tens of thousands dead, but if enough Floridians die of COVID, the rest might actually start taking it seriously.

    This is where math, the cold-hearted bitch that she is, comes in.

    The current 7-day average deaths in Florida is 50. Cases are rising at +161% per 14 days and we all know deaths follow. On the morbid assumption that this trend contiues, it would take...60 days.

    Trends continue until they're stopped. Florida needs to buck the curve they've put themselves on, or in three weeks deaths over 100 will be the norm. Nobody but Florida can change the path Florida has put Florida on.

    Now I'll admit all of this is from research of public articles and talking to a Floridian or two. I know some of our posters are Floridians. Perhaps they could fill in the gaps or correct me where I'm wrong?

  18. #75098
    Legendary! unfilteredJW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Seagrove Beach, FL
    Posts
    6,699
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Florida has chosen to put itself in a bad place. And in case anyone is thinking "well of course they have a high number, they're a large state" *ahem*



    Florida is the second worst cases per capita.

    You know what, fuck it, let's run the goddam table. They're second worst hospitalized per 100k, yeah that's a stat that's a cheery fucking read, barely better than Nevada. They're 5th in deaths per 100k, well 6th if you include the Virgin Islands, see previous comments about island nations.

    And oddly enough, middle of the road with vaccination rates. Like, lampshading levels of coincidence, Florida is not only 25th but also matches the USA (rounded to the nearest %) at about 50%.

    "Breccia, if Florida has a decent vaccination rate, why are they all getting sick and dying?"

    I've seen bits and pieces here and there, so I won't claim there's a consensus. But my theory is threefold.

    1) Old people. Florida by average age is 5th oldest (again 6th behind an island territory). Any disease will simply have a higher infection/mortality rate when exposed to an older, weaker population.

    2) Having been there myself, I can attest to that the non-Disneyland areas of Florida are...not great economically. They're the tenth worst by average income, and while cost of living changes place to place, so therefore does quality, quantity, and accessibility of medical care. While Florida as a whole has decent health care, the swamps and panhandle do not.

    3) DeSantis intentionally fueled a "fuck the public safety, we have T-shirts to sell" campaign that half the population took to heart, then to their lungs, then to the ICU. I would wager more than most states, certain people in Florida trying to decide whether to have fewer grades of education than teeth took to heart that they didn't need to "live their lives in fear" by wearing a mask, socially distancing, getting takeout, working from home (well, if possible, see above comment regarding income, and farmers don't really have that option so this isn't 100% a negative) or, yes, getting the vaccine. We've all seen the stories of people in some states decrying their "tyrant" governor using "unConstitutional" powers to keep their people safe against their will. Florida never had that. And with Delta cutting through them like vegan chili and a double espresso, they lack the will, the means, and the leadership to protect themselves.

    "What's it going to take to reverse this?"

    I...think it might be too late. And there are likely factors I haven't considered. But, if someone shook me awake and screamed at me to find a way to stop cases from rising, this would be it:

    1) It's not Communism, fascism, or tyranny when a company does it. That's capitalism. Disney needs to step in. Oh wait they just did. Anyhow, major Florida employers need to start requiring masking by guests and vaccination by employees. DeSantis might try to pass a law to stop that, but honestly, I'm not sure he can. Or, counterpoint, if Disney requires vaccination and DeSantis blocks it, Disney could just...close. Or cut ticket sales in half or something.

    I use "Disney" as an easy target. Other companies in Florida would have to do the same, but Disney's kind of a figurehead. Where they go, others will follow.

    I would add "schools" but...yeah. Florida schools requiring masks are few and far between, and I would bet DeSantis is fighting those. I don't think they require vaccinations to attend in person, at least, not according to Florida's health care department. Plus the whole "12 and under" thing of course.

    2) Blue states and airlines should make a collective deal and block traffic from Florida -- or require vaccination proof. And before you say "they already do" as a NY resident with a recent FL houseguest, no they don't. Other forms of travel, including truckers, should also have that slapped on. Maybe if their state is turned into a prison of their own making, some Floridians will roll their eyes, say "whatever" and get the shot.

    3) They could, well...die. I hate to say this because this would require tens of thousands dead, but if enough Floridians die of COVID, the rest might actually start taking it seriously.

    This is where math, the cold-hearted bitch that she is, comes in.

    The current 7-day average deaths in Florida is 50. Cases are rising at +161% per 14 days and we all know deaths follow. On the morbid assumption that this trend contiues, it would take...60 days.

    Trends continue until they're stopped. Florida needs to buck the curve they've put themselves on, or in three weeks deaths over 100 will be the norm. Nobody but Florida can change the path Florida has put Florida on.

    Now I'll admit all of this is from research of public articles and talking to a Floridian or two. I know some of our posters are Floridians. Perhaps they could fill in the gaps or correct me where I'm wrong?
    You aren’t. We won’t. And my isolation continues into the 18th month while I yell at my coworkers about still having not gotten vaccinated.

    I just want to be able to go eat lunch with my buddy again but, his mom is 80 and these cunts won’t help us all get through this shit.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-07-29 at 02:24 PM.
    Blessed are the fornicates, may we bend down to be their whores. Blessed are the rich, may our labor deliver them more.
    Blessed are the envious; bless the slothful, the wrathful, the vain. Blessed are the gluttonous, may they feast us to famine and war.
    What of the pious, the pure of heart, the peaceful, the meek, the mourning, and the merciful? All doomed, all doomed

  19. #75099
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,350
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    You aren’t. We won’t.
    F*ck.

    Well, we'll have this conversation again in 21 days. If my anti-derivative of e^rt speaks the truth, that's when 7-day rolling deaths/day will hit 100.

  20. #75100
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Now I'll admit all of this is from research of public articles and talking to a Floridian or two. I know some of our posters are Floridians. Perhaps they could fill in the gaps or correct me where I'm wrong?
    A couple of caveats I would throw in:

    1) Most of the elderly population in Florida is vaccinated--that's where the middle-of-the-road vaccination rate comes in. There was a concerted push to get them there because, let's face it, the GOP need the elderly vote in Florida. It won't protect them 100%, especially if the virus mutates to something that the current vaccines aren't effective against, but I recall it being a big deal early on. Now, not so much.

    2) DeathSantis already signed a bill banning vaccination passports, so I would have to assume he'd attempt to do the same to any other attempt from businesses trying to keep their clientele safe.

    3) Fuck Florida (sorry @unfilteredJW).

    4) There are already 10's of thousands dead in Florida to COVID--38,840...that we know of.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2021-07-29 at 02:37 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •