1. #76781
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I've personally cited at least three articles about nurses and other staff quitting from sheer exhaustion. I've seen it with teachers -- the extra rules/changes/safeguards was a lot of work, more importantly a lot of new different work, and a fair number of teachers just decided they'd rather retire. And of course, it's not just me.
    My mother finally retired after a nearly 40 year career. I’m just glad she wasn’t forced to do any in person instruction during the pandemic and stayed healthy.

  2. #76782
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I've personally cited at least three articles about nurses and other staff quitting from sheer exhaustion. I've seen it with teachers -- the extra rules/changes/safeguards was a lot of work, more importantly a lot of new different work, and a fair number of teachers just decided they'd rather retire. And of course, it's not just me.
    My friend has his teaching license is glad he isn't working for any schools right now, though he has experience seeing other family deal with teaching elementary school. Don't blame him.

    Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

  3. #76783
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,594
    Well, Abbott somehow found 2,500 medical personel willing to help Texas.

    "You already posted that."

    This is in addition to the 2800 from last week. He says the whole should arrive by Sept 30.

    Abbott is also trying to open more monoclonal sites, get more equipment, and asked Texas to get the vaccine.

    "Well, surely he asked for a mask mand--"

    No. He's still fighting those.

    "Why would he spend what must be hundreds of millions of taxpayer money to fight the pandemic, but oppose a mask mandate which is basically free?"

    I still don't know. Generally speaking, people who are anti-mask would be anti-vaxxers and he's clearly pro-vaccine.

    "Are Texas' actions going to yoink possible help from going to Florida?"

    Almost certainly. There's only so many spare nurses (etc) to go around right now, and anyone willing to risk Florida's numbers will find Texas' numbers not as bad.

  4. #76784
    @Breccia nurses are in high demand everywhere. My wife recently got a raise, no need to argue for it, just hospitals throwing money out to help retain nurses. All the hospitals around here need nurses. They even bumped up her pay an additional $20/hr for when her contract renews (yes, in addition to the original raise she just got). She could still make more going out of state to the south where things are a lot worse… but she hasn’t decided to do that yet. Though if they are paying half a mil, I don’t think I could convince my wife not to go.

  5. #76785
    Thursday's report:

    169,953 new cases; about 2k fewer than last week. Once all of the corrections roll in it will probably end up being more again, but the increases this week have been lower overall than last week, so that's at least a little encouraging.

    Top 10:

    Fuck Florida (over 21k according to worldometers).
    Texas: 18,112 new cases; 275 deaths
    California: 12,622 new cases; 110 deaths
    Georgia: 10,823 new cases; 92 deaths
    North Carolina: 8,620 new cases; 60 deaths
    Tennessee: 6,673 new cases; 48 deaths
    New York: 5,658 new cases; 34 deaths
    Ohio: 5,395 new cases; no deaths reported
    Kentucky: 5,334 new cases; 27 deaths
    Louisiana: 5,131 new cases; 72 deaths

    Nationally cases may appear down this time around, but you'll note the lowest on the top 10 is still over 5k and considering which states are hitting those marks that's a lot. The 7-day average in Florida makes it appear as though their cases have plateaued, but considering they hit a new record Wednesday I'd take that with a handful of skepticism. California, on the other hand, does actually appear to have things under control for the time being. We'll see if it stays that way. Fridays typically have higher totals in general. Meanwhile, positivity has jumped up to 23% in South Dakota. Gee, I wonder why. Florida is still above 20%.

    1,215 deaths is about 50 more than last Thursday and brings the total to 651,956. This does not include the huge dump from Florida--their total for yesterday is listed as "8". Ahem. So let's put them in the number one spot anyway. Texas is catching up, closing in on 300 and California had just over 100. The 7-day average is just shy of 1k at 995 and it's expected to pass 1k with Friday's numbers.

    Related news:

    DeSantis' Anti-Mask Expert Was Asked in Court, 'What's an Acceptable Death Rate for Children?'--He responded with "What are the trade-offs?", so he automatically loses that argument in the minds of anyone with a heart or brain.

    68 Florida Hospitals Could Run Out of Oxygen in Two Days Amid COVID Surge--As others have mentioned, ICUs are meant for a whole host of issues apart from COVID, so if they're full of COVID patients, anyone else with other serious problems is SOL. The same also goes for Oxygen.

    Covid data disappearing in some states even amid delta surge--Not just a Florida thing. Georgia is also playing coy with their numbers.

    Stay safe, folks.

  6. #76786
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,594
    Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Though if they are paying half a mil, I don’t think I could convince my wife not to go.
    First of all, glad your wife is getting the pay she deserves for putting up with this shit.

    Half a million is life-changing money. That's "pay cash for house" money. Everyone has their own limit to how much they'd need to be paid to, let's face it, help the sick and dying -- it's not like she's stealing govt secrets or killing someone.

    Whatever happens, I hope you two stay safe.

    It doesn't surprise me at all that nurses and such are short everywhere. When states like Florida and Texas say things like "everything is under control, by the way we need several thousand nurses" it's not just the money and danger that's involved. It's that, well, where would you find several thousand available nurses? As you've said, the hazard pay is there and most people generally prefer to stay local.

    It's not that I want the entire state of Florida to die, or even just the Trump supporters. But they've neglected the problem so long, that even if ten thousand nurses were to show up today, I don't know how much that'd affect the death count.

  7. #76787
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    First of all, glad your wife is getting the pay she deserves for putting up with this shit.

    Half a million is life-changing money. That's "pay cash for house" money. Everyone has their own limit to how much they'd need to be paid to, let's face it, help the sick and dying -- it's not like she's stealing govt secrets or killing someone.

    Whatever happens, I hope you two stay safe.

    It doesn't surprise me at all that nurses and such are short everywhere. When states like Florida and Texas say things like "everything is under control, by the way we need several thousand nurses" it's not just the money and danger that's involved. It's that, well, where would you find several thousand available nurses? As you've said, the hazard pay is there and most people generally prefer to stay local.

    It's not that I want the entire state of Florida to die, or even just the Trump supporters. But they've neglected the problem so long, that even if ten thousand nurses were to show up today, I don't know how much that'd affect the death count.
    I think people are going to be very surprised at the Medicare costs that come out of all of this. Considering Florida is the Medicare fraud king, then I expect to see them try and push all these costs on the federal taxpayers. Or, if things get ultra dumb... the "state of emergency" plea for money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  8. #76788
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    68 Florida Hospitals Could Run Out of Oxygen in Two Days Amid COVID Surge--As others have mentioned
    And this is after some Florida cities have cut back on water treatment oxygen. Even that isn't enough. Why are their deaths so low, again? Oh, right, the blatant lying.

  9. #76789
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And this is after some Florida cities have cut back on water treatment oxygen. Even that isn't enough. Why are their deaths so low, again? Oh, right, the blatant lying.
    The most ridiculous thing is, that everyone knows they are lying, and just moves past it... and just compiles the data that Florida refuses to do. Sure, it takes about a week to fill in the blanks, but at least we have some idea as to exactly how badly they are lying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  10. #76790
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Or, if things get ultra dumb... the "state of emergency" plea for money.
    Let's talk about DeSantis and the state of emergency he hasn't declared, despite hundreds dying per day (like, 20 Afghan bombings per day).

    We've discussed the term "sunk cost fallacy" before. DeSantis is being especially fallic. He's declared that his state is doing so well, Biden should make the rest of the country follow his design.

    No, really.

    You know, he said he was going to end COVID. He hasn’t done that. We are the first state to start the treatment centers for monoclonal antibodies. We're having great success with that. That should have been a bigger plan, a bigger part of this whole response throughout the country from the beginning. At the end of the day, he is trying to find a way to distract from the failures of his presidency
    -- DeSantis, governor of the dyingist state in the country

    Again, if these monoclonal antibodies are doing such a great job, either (a) why aren't their numbers better or (b) how fucking bad would they be without them?

    Also, why not just get the vaccine?

    Also also, does DeSantis not realize he's losing hundreds of people per day? Isn't what he's saying now the same distraction he's blaming ah fuck it.

    Anyhow, DeSantis hasn't declared a state of emergency yet, and is yelling "ALL IS WELL" at the top of his lungs. Plus, lying about the numbers. Meanwhile as everyone's pointed out, Florida is running out of people, supplies, and beds, and everyone's dying.

    So he has two choices.

    He could declare a state of emergency, which in turn immediately negates the gaslighting he's been doing so poorly but the rabid fanbase have chosen to believe it on the way to the makeshift morgue

    Or!

    He could continue the path he's chosen and lie, deflect, and deny to anyone who manages to survive.

    Which will work?

    Well, that probably depends on when there's a massive outbreak in red districts, probably involving churches or schools. If DeSantis knows for a fact he'll lose re-election no matter what, because his actions killed that many people, he'll probably allow the rest of his staff to pad their resume and let them do their civic duty. Until then, he's shown no signs of humanity or remorse, and will continue to fight mask mandates and block federal aid.

  11. #76791
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Let's talk about DeSantis and the state of emergency he hasn't declared, despite hundreds dying per day (like, 20 Afghan bombings per day).

    We've discussed the term "sunk cost fallacy" before. DeSantis is being especially fallic. He's declared that his state is doing so well, Biden should make the rest of the country follow his design.

    No, really.


    -- DeSantis, governor of the dyingist state in the country

    Again, if these monoclonal antibodies are doing such a great job, either (a) why aren't their numbers better or (b) how fucking bad would they be without them?

    Also, why not just get the vaccine?

    Also also, does DeSantis not realize he's losing hundreds of people per day? Isn't what he's saying now the same distraction he's blaming ah fuck it.

    Anyhow, DeSantis hasn't declared a state of emergency yet, and is yelling "ALL IS WELL" at the top of his lungs. Plus, lying about the numbers. Meanwhile as everyone's pointed out, Florida is running out of people, supplies, and beds, and everyone's dying.

    So he has two choices.

    He could declare a state of emergency, which in turn immediately negates the gaslighting he's been doing so poorly but the rabid fanbase have chosen to believe it on the way to the makeshift morgue

    Or!

    He could continue the path he's chosen and lie, deflect, and deny to anyone who manages to survive.

    Which will work?

    Well, that probably depends on when there's a massive outbreak in red districts, probably involving churches or schools. If DeSantis knows for a fact he'll lose re-election no matter what, because his actions killed that many people, he'll probably allow the rest of his staff to pad their resume and let them do their civic duty. Until then, he's shown no signs of humanity or remorse, and will continue to fight mask mandates and block federal aid.
    I think the more likely path forward for Florida, is to simply increase their Medicare burden. It can be "hidden" from the view of most people, and will push the blame away from him.

    Make no mistake, DeSantis is a fucking rotten piece of shit.

    Sadly, as we've seen, that's exactly who Floridians like to elect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Multiculturalism hurts and kills. This happened before Trump and it would be happening without him. Racism arises from a multicultural society. If we were monocultural, people would not see issues through the lens of race.
    This is a poster saying that people are at fault for being the victims of terrorism, because they are not white.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilfire View Post
    I hate personal freedom because people abuse it like a shiny new toy.

  12. #76792
    Legendary! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Let's talk about DeSantis and the state of emergency he hasn't declared, despite hundreds dying per day (like, 20 Afghan bombings per day).
    Maybe stop using this "statistic"? The fact that you're ignoring the 90+ Afghans who, you know, also died in the bombing is a bit cringe-worthy.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  13. #76793
    I work with seniors in my area and another one died from covid last night. Die hard Trumper. Everything you've read about these folks regarding conspiracies, etc... that was him. I know covid is killing plenty of people that don't vote or may vote dem, but just based on my personal experience it's killing republican voters at a significantly higher rate. The GOP is losing voters daily from something that was preventable.

    If Trump had taken a different position on this from the start I have no doubt that people like this senior man would have been vaccinated and not anti-mask and anti-everything-the-left-does. There is zero doubt in my mind that Trump is personally responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths.

  14. #76794
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Maybe stop using this "statistic"? The fact that you're ignoring the 90+ Afghans who, you know, also died in the bombing is a bit cringe-worthy.
    I think that's kind of the point, actually. That the same people who are all up in arms and furious about this bombing (who only care about the Americans killed, naturally) are ignoring the deaths from Covid that are several times that, daily.
    Last edited by DarkTZeratul; 2021-08-27 at 08:18 PM.

  15. #76795
    https://www.salon.com/2021/08/27/lau...reporting-fec/

    Lauren Boebert doesn't seem smart.

    They want to come against me for legitimate expenses, go ahead. I am doing the work of the people. I had to make those connections. And really, I under-reported a lot of stuff.
    Uh...isn't under-reporting campaign finances a crime? Kinda like under-reporting your income to the IRS?

  16. #76796
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Maybe stop using this "statistic"? The fact that you're ignoring the 90+ Afghans who, you know, also died in the bombing is a bit cringe-worthy.
    Oh please. Look at all the righties getting upset over words.

  17. #76797
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefhammer View Post
    Oh please. Look at all the righties getting upset over words.
    Are you claiming Phaelix is a "rightie"? Because that's wrong. If, however, you're saying that people on the right going ballistic over those deaths is justification for Breccia using hyperbole here I might be more inclined to agree.

  18. #76798
    Legendary! PhaelixWW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Washington (né California)
    Posts
    6,049
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    I think that's kind of the point, actually. That the same people who are all up in arms and furious about this bombing (who only care about the Americans killed, naturally) are ignoring that deaths from Covid that are several times that, daily.
    Just because they ignore the deaths of the "brown-skinned people" doesn't mean that we should. Those Afghans were innocent victims, too.


    "The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

    --Alexandre Dumas-fils

  19. #76799
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post


    $5.6k a week is... 5.6k x 52 = around $290k a year. Ok only a quarter million, but still in the right ball park. $10k a week is over a half a million a year.

    The downside? Maintaining this level of intensity over 6 months or a year is very non-trivial.
    Hell you could work for 3-6 months then take the rest of the year off
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

  20. #76800
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    32,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    I think the more likely path forward for Florida, is to simply increase their Medicare burden. It can be "hidden" from the view of most people, and will push the blame away from him.
    Such an increase needs to be shoved in his face at the next debate. Label him as "the Welfare Governor"

    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Maybe stop using this "statistic"? The fact that you're ignoring the 90+ Afghans who, you know, also died in the bombing is a bit cringe-worthy.
    It's mostly done to shove the death toll in the face of those calling for Biden to resign after the bombing, by putting the number in their context. @DarkTZeratul is correct.

    But you're right -- that's pretty heartless of me. I'll stop, and I apologize.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •