1. #79381
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I imagine they'd have to pre-clear it with the USSS detail attached to Trump (or former president). That would avoid uh...some awkward situations.
    Indeed, if the local sheriff knocked on the door and said "We need Trump's safe" without any previous contact, the SS would likely refuse, on the grounds that, well, there's important stuff in there. This wasn't that. The SS knew not only about the raid just before it happened, but that Trump had taken items he wasn't supposed to, because even if their boss didn't tell them they watch the news.

    Now, Trump has minimal choice on security. I don't think he can even hire a bunch of private security with the SS hanging around. So this is just the price he pays for putting himself in the arena where classified info is involved.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    "until Joe Biden denies it"
    He has.

    The end.

  2. #79382
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    No, they can't. Search warrants are highly specific. They could respond to a crime in progress, for example follow gunshots/screaming/blood, but if they are there looking for WH property and find dead Jimmy Hoffa they have to leave the skeleton.
    That's not quite accurate. If the FBI were to find evidence of a crime not connected to the particulars of their search warrant...exigent circumstances could apply. Like, if they were executing a warrant looking for drugs and stumbled upon a human trafficking operation or something like that they don't just leave the people chained up in the basement.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

  3. #79383
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That's not quite accurate. If the FBI were to find evidence of a crime not connected to the particulars of their search warrant...exigent circumstances could apply. Like, if they were executing a warrant looking for drugs and stumbled upon a human trafficking operation or something like that they don't just leave the people chained up in the basement.
    Basically, as I understand it, if they happen to find a crime they weren't looking for, that's fair game. They just can't use the warrant as an excuse to look in places not covered by the warrant.

  4. #79384
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    79,222
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Basically, as I understand it, if they happen to find a crime they weren't looking for, that's fair game. They just can't use the warrant as an excuse to look in places not covered by the warrant.
    Yeah, the warrant limits where you can search, it does not limit what you can take action on. As long as your search was within legal limits, evidence of new crimes falls under "probable cause". Same way if a police checkpoint asks to look in people's trunks because there's an amber alert and they suspect the child might be hidden in a trunk, if you agree to the search and they pop your trunk and find a brick of heroin, you're gonna get charged for the heroin. You'd probably be within your rights to refuse the search, and they might force it anyway on the principle of the child's safety, and THEN the heroin would be fruit of the poison tree and they could seize it but not prosecute. Which in this case would be if their warrant covered Trump's office and computers (say), and some agent went into the basement and found a drug den, they're hosed.

    This is all not counting probable cause, which also justifies searches. But likely wouldn't apply here.


  5. #79385
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    Basically, as I understand it, if they happen to find a crime they weren't looking for, that's fair game. They just can't use the warrant as an excuse to look in places not covered by the warrant.
    Yeah that's basically it.

    In the case of finding human remains (such as the skeleton of Jimmy Hoffa)...yeah... you can go check that out.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

  6. #79386
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,121
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Indeed, if the local sheriff knocked on the door and said "We need Trump's safe" without any previous contact, the SS would likely refuse, on the grounds that, well, there's important stuff in there. This wasn't that. The SS knew not only about the raid just before it happened, but that Trump had taken items he wasn't supposed to, because even if their boss didn't tell them they watch the news.

    Now, Trump has minimal choice on security. I don't think he can even hire a bunch of private security with the SS hanging around. So this is just the price he pays for putting himself in the arena where classified info is involved.

    - - - Updated - - -



    He has.

    The end.
    Queue up the "He was betrayed by his own SS".
    Make of the phrasing what you will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  7. #79387
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    That's not quite accurate. If the FBI were to find evidence of a crime not connected to the particulars of their search warrant...exigent circumstances could apply. Like, if they were executing a warrant looking for drugs and stumbled upon a human trafficking operation or something like that they don't just leave the people chained up in the basement.
    I guess I could have been more accurate. But basically, if they know Trump walked out with papers, they can look for papers. They can't take his phone unless they have PC that Trump texted people where the papers are.

    - - - Updated - - -

    We are joined now by Michael Cohen.


  8. #79388
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Hey, didn't that guy used to be the Trump family lawyer and fixer for many years? He sure seems familiar.

  9. #79389
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,015
    Bitch McConnell finally breaks silence--

    "You spelled that wrong."

    No, I didn't. He waited an extra 24 hours and still hasn't really taken a stance.

    Attorney General Garland and the Department of Justice should already have provided answers to the American people and must do so immediately
    Did not take a side. Only asked for "answers". Incidentally, we already know those "answers". Trump committed a crime and a legal warrant was issued and served because of it. It'd be strange if that's not what happened. Surely McConnell believes no-one is above the law?

    - - - Updated - - -

    18 US 793 is mostly about espionage, but Sections E and F are not.

    Whoever having unauthorized possession of, access to, or control over any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, or note relating to the national defense, or information relating to the national defense which information the possessor has reason to believe could be used to the injury of the United States or to the advantage of any foreign nation, willfully communicates, delivers, transmits or causes to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted, or attempts to communicate, deliver, transmit or cause to be communicated, delivered, or transmitted the same to any person not entitled to receive it, or willfully retains the same and fails to deliver it to the officer or employee of the United States entitled to receive it

    Whoever, being entrusted with or having lawful possession or control of any document, writing, code book, signal book, sketch, photograph, photographic negative, blueprint, plan, map, model, instrument, appliance, note, or information, relating to the national defense, (1) through gross negligence permits the same to be removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of his trust, or to be lost, stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, or (2) having knowledge that the same has been illegally removed from its proper place of custody or delivered to anyone in violation of its trust, or lost, or stolen, abstracted, or destroyed, and fails to make prompt report of such loss, theft, abstraction, or destruction to his superior officer
    The penalty for this is up to 10 years in jail, and/or a fine. Actually it goes into great detail about how much the government can take from you, but it boils down to "the price the foreign government paid you". Oh, and for some reason it says state laws can't stop that.

    But yes, that's an on-the-books law that says you're not supposed to take that shit, even accidentally.

    No, I didn't find that on my own. There's thousands of 18 US codes. But experts in the law are now pointing that out. In addition to, of course, 18 US 1924, that one I did find on my own, and "it's illegal to destroy that shit" which is 18 US 2071. Which also has some warning signs for Trump.

    Whoever willfully and unlawfully conceals, removes, mutilates, obliterates, or destroys, or attempts to do so, or, with intent to do so takes and carries away any record, proceeding, map, book, paper, document, or other thing, filed or deposited with any clerk or officer of any court of the United States, or in any public office, or with any judicial or public officer of the United States, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than three years, or both.
    Oh, dear. We know Trump took things, even he admits it. If the FBI got them back, that's proof he had them, which is bad. If the FBI can't find them, but Trump can't find them either, that's much worse.

    Trump said he was in negotiations to return the classified items he, well, stole. And we all know Trump is a horrible negotiator.

    *ahem*

    But.

    You know how, if you steal six cars, you get charged six times, not once? How many documents did Trump take?

    I'm hardly an expert, other than I seem to know more about the laws involved than the fat orange fuck who broke them. But based on what legal proceedings I've seen undergone, there are/were four possible options.

    A) Trump could have simply returned them when asked, which he said in public he knew he'd been asked months ago. My guess is, if he'd just returned everything, there might have been a misdemeanor-level fine, at worst, and that'd be that. Yet another "Trump fucked up" headline and it'd be forgotten within days, like his marriage vows.

    B) The FBI could have found everything Trump took that was important, and then the DoJ asks if it's worth pressing charges. Considering he lied about it to the point of forcing the most yuge, the most bigly FBI raid, everyone tells me that, they probably would, charging him with the least of the offenses, 2071. Trump would be unable to avoid an immediate guilty finding due to the fact that, well, the FBI got them back, so it's proof he had them. He'd plea bargain, getting a few months probation...and admit guilt to a felony about stealing classified intel. Goodbye, 2024 run.

    C) The FBI doesn't find everything, but Trump makes a big, public showing of turning over everything else, probably bragging about what a good guy he is for helping America out by protecting this important information. Meanwhile, behind closed doors, Trump begs on his knees, mascara running as he blubbers in terror, not to be arrested. The result of this is that Trump is not charged with anything, on the understanding that he doesn't run for office. Since the statute of limitations is seven years, I think? Trump loses out on a 2024 and 2028 run, effectively ending his chance at returning to the WH. Coward bitch-ass Trump becomes the GOP mascot and kingmaker, which honestly, is probably something he wanted to be anyhow.

    D) The FBI doesn't find everything we know for a fact Trump took, but Trump can't find it either. Uh oh. Since "the dog ate my homework" stopped being acceptable several generations ago, the DoJ has no choice but to admit Trump either destroyed, lost, gave away or sold information he shouldn't have had. Garland (or whoever) doesn't have to prove Trump actually planned on selling anything -- only that he took them, known, and they're mysteriously gone now. He's charged with one to three felonies for each missing document. Fifty trooper-cops in full body armor and 2A Freedom Batons drag his fat ass out the front door in handcuffs, the trial lasts well through the 2024 election, and some of the less insane GOP members who were cozying up to Trump have every second of their interaction dangled over them, costing them Indy votes. (Cultists like MTG in cult locations aren't affected), leading to President Harris with a majority in the House and Senate. Whether or not Trump is convicted stops being important, since this gaping weakness in his tinfoil armor is torn open wide by NYState, Georgia, the IRS, and anyone who hasn't sued him yet going full-on feeding frenzy. Trump damn near spends every day of the rest of his miserable, limp-dick life in courtrooms, unless he goes to prison.

    Obviously, A has missed its chance. Of the remaining, I think C is the most likely result. The FBI opened up Trump's safe, but as Cohen said, they wouldn't find the evidence of Trump's many crimes there. Not even Trump is that stupid, sorry, but all joking aside he's not. He's a sociopathic narcissist but he's not "skull fracture" level. That tells me they didn't find everything they were looking for, suggesting B is out. I would love to see that fourth option, but it relies on Trump taking critical classified information, then losing it. Considering he probably wanted to whip it out at parties for women to tell him how beautiful it is, I doubt he left it out in the rain -- not with the SS constantly at his side, as well. Right now, I think the most likely option is that the Trump family and what few trusted friends they have left are looking under the Trump Tower sofa cushions for those last few papers that got separated.

    We'll find out. But the fact that Trump took things that (a) he wasn't supposed to and (b) the US govt wants back is no longer in dispute. This isn't Alex Jones level of "what the fuck, dude?" going on here, but it is bad. The question is only "how bad".
    Last edited by Breccia; 2022-08-10 at 07:23 AM.

  10. #79390
    It's Bizarroworld right now. Even Johnathan Turley, the dumbass so called "liberal professor" that frequents Fox News is even saying that the FBI had every right to collect classified information from Mar-A-Lago. I just find it hilarious, you see all these fucking pundits and propagandists on Fox News, Newsmax, OANN, and the morons of Youtube like Steven Crowder, Tim Pool and others going ABSOLUTELY NUTS, some even stating that they are going to start a civil war over Trump breaking the fucking law and the FBI seizing stolen classified material.

    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news...al-from-trump/

  11. #79391
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.today.com/parents/parent...dent-rcna41710



    In which Jesse Waters thinks that a woman needs to get married and pop out a kid before they're ready to be president. Qualifications that are nowhere in the Constitution, mind you.

    I swear, Republican men daily hate-masturbate to AOC and wish that she'd step on them.

    Don't worry, he has other opinions too -



    Because he seems to have issues with pregnant women, too.

    Man, it sure just seems like Republican men just don't really like women doing anything beyond being walking baby factories.
    I mean how many women that have just had a baby is home 3months after giving birth?

  12. #79392
    Over 9000! ringpriest's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    The Silk Road
    Posts
    9,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Bitch McConnell finally breaks silence--

    "You spelled that wrong."

    No, I didn't. He waited an extra 24 hours and still hasn't really taken a stance.



    Did not take a side. Only asked for "answers". Incidentally, we already know those "answers". Trump committed a crime and a legal warrant was issued and served because of it. It'd be strange if that's not what happened. Surely McConnell believes no-one is above the law?

    - - - Updated - - -

    18 US 793 is mostly about espionage, but Sections E and F are not.



    The penalty for this is up to 10 years in jail, and/or a fine. Actually it goes into great detail about how much the government can take from you, but it boils down to "the price the foreign government paid you". Oh, and for some reason it says state laws can't stop that.

    But yes, that's an on-the-books law that says you're not supposed to take that shit, even accidentally.

    No, I didn't find that on my own. There's thousands of 18 US codes. But experts in the law are now pointing that out. In addition to, of course, 18 US 1924, that one I did find on my own, and "it's illegal to destroy that shit" which is 18 US 2071. Which also has some warning signs for Trump.



    Oh, dear. We know Trump took things, even he admits it. If the FBI got them back, that's proof he had them, which is bad. If the FBI can't find them, but Trump can't find them either, that's much worse.

    Trump said he was in negotiations to return the classified items he, well, stole. And we all know Trump is a horrible negotiator.

    *ahem*

    But.

    You know how, if you steal six cars, you get charged six times, not once? How many documents did Trump take?

    I'm hardly an expert, other than I seem to know more about the laws involved than the fat orange fuck who broke them. But based on what legal proceedings I've seen undergone, there are/were four possible options.

    A) Trump could have simply returned them when asked, which he said in public he knew he'd been asked months ago. My guess is, if he'd just returned everything, there might have been a misdemeanor-level fine, at worst, and that'd be that. Yet another "Trump fucked up" headline and it'd be forgotten within days, like his marriage vows.

    B) The FBI could have found everything Trump took that was important, and then the DoJ asks if it's worth pressing charges. Considering he lied about it to the point of forcing the most yuge, the most bigly FBI raid, everyone tells me that, they probably would, charging him with the least of the offenses, 2071. Trump would be unable to avoid an immediate guilty finding due to the fact that, well, the FBI got them back, so it's proof he had them. He'd plea bargain, getting a few months probation...and admit guilt to a felony about stealing classified intel. Goodbye, 2024 run.

    C) The FBI doesn't find everything, but Trump makes a big, public showing of turning over everything else, probably bragging about what a good guy he is for helping America out by protecting this important information. Meanwhile, behind closed doors, Trump begs on his knees, mascara running as he blubbers in terror, not to be arrested. The result of this is that Trump is not charged with anything, on the understanding that he doesn't run for office. Since the statute of limitations is seven years, I think? Trump loses out on a 2024 and 2028 run, effectively ending his chance at returning to the WH. Coward bitch-ass Trump becomes the GOP mascot and kingmaker, which honestly, is probably something he wanted to be anyhow.

    D) The FBI doesn't find everything we know for a fact Trump took, but Trump can't find it either. Uh oh. Since "the dog ate my homework" stopped being acceptable several generations ago, the DoJ has no choice but to admit Trump either destroyed, lost, gave away or sold information he shouldn't have had. Garland (or whoever) doesn't have to prove Trump actually planned on selling anything -- only that he took them, known, and they're mysteriously gone now. He's charged with one to three felonies for each missing document. Fifty trooper-cops in full body armor and 2A Freedom Batons drag his fat ass out the front door in handcuffs, the trial lasts well through the 2024 election, and some of the less insane GOP members who were cozying up to Trump have every second of their interaction dangled over them, costing them Indy votes. (Cultists like MTG in cult locations aren't affected), leading to President Harris with a majority in the House and Senate. Whether or not Trump is convicted stops being important, since this gaping weakness in his tinfoil armor is torn open wide by NYState, Georgia, the IRS, and anyone who hasn't sued him yet going full-on feeding frenzy. Trump damn near spends every day of the rest of his miserable, limp-dick life in courtrooms, unless he goes to prison.

    Obviously, A has missed its chance. Of the remaining, I think C is the most likely result. The FBI opened up Trump's safe, but as Cohen said, they wouldn't find the evidence of Trump's many crimes there. Not even Trump is that stupid, sorry, but all joking aside he's not. He's a sociopathic narcissist but he's not "skull fracture" level. That tells me they didn't find everything they were looking for, suggesting B is out. I would love to see that fourth option, but it relies on Trump taking critical classified information, then losing it. Considering he probably wanted to whip it out at parties for women to tell him how beautiful it is, I doubt he left it out in the rain -- not with the SS constantly at his side, as well. Right now, I think the most likely option is that the Trump family and what few trusted friends they have left are looking under the Trump Tower sofa cushions for those last few papers that got separated.

    We'll find out. But the fact that Trump took things that (a) he wasn't supposed to and (b) the US govt wants back is no longer in dispute. This isn't Alex Jones level of "what the fuck, dude?" going on here, but it is bad. The question is only "how bad".

    This is a very good list, but you may have missed one:

    E) Trump not only took stuff he should not have, but was charging for access to it, and the FBI can prove it. The FBI seems unlikely to go down this road without ironclad evidence in hand, but its not like they're new to meticulously documented sting operations. Grifting off illegally obtained Top Secret or Codeword information seems perfectly on-brand for Trump, and takes him into the realm of full-on espionage charges and correspondingly more serious penalties. (To drift deeper into speculation, if the information then turns out to be far less useful than Trump presented it as - which would also on be brand - it would give any purchasers a strong motivation for coming clean and hanging Trump out to dry.)

    Btw, the Saudi dictatorship dumped $2 billion in Jared Kushner's investment firm in 2021, and another $2 billion into the LIV golf tour that uses Trump's struggling golf properties.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

  13. #79393
    Old God Milchshake's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Shitposter Burn Out
    Posts
    10,037
    Remember Kids; "Only the Mob and Loozers take the Fifth!"


    NEW: Former president Trump says he invoked his Fifth Amendment rights during his deposition with ⁦ @newyorkStateAG⁩’s office


    Government Affiliated Snark

  14. #79394
    https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-i...-where-1732283

    Now Newsweek isn't always the best of sources but -

    The raid on Mar-a-Lago was based largely on information from an FBI confidential human source, one who was able to identify what classified documents former President Trump was still hiding and even the location of those documents, two senior government officials told Newsweek.

    The officials, who have direct knowledge of the FBI's deliberations and were granted anonymity in order to discuss sensitive matters, said the raid of Donald Trump's Florida residence was deliberately timed to occur when the former president was away.
    Oh boy. I imagine they've been thinking about this, but the second Trump reads this it should be very fun times on #TeamTrump.

    Everyone gonna be walking around with anti-knife vests with extra protection on their backs.

  15. #79395
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,015
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    E) Trump not only took stuff he should not have, but was charging for access to it, and the FBI can prove it.
    This is a very clever take. I don't think it's the case, but I admit I didn't think of it. I can't think of a reason the Saudis would pay effectively crippled Trump for future services, plus, who in their right mind would pay Trump up front in cash? And also, he's not exactly in a situation where he could say "Hey you Saudis, you promised to pay me for what I did to the oil market and/or Israel" The Saudis might have promised him something in office, but it's Trump, they'd have no reason to pay afterwards. So yeah, $2 billion in 2021 was for something in 2021. I just don't think it was quite that blatant. It might be a coincidence.

    The US codes I linked show how many years Trump will go to jail if I'm wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide quoting an insane person View Post
    "My preferred pronouns are:"
    I've seen a lot of this in social media, namely, the Party of Trump having no legit political issues they want to discuss, so they're just making fun of memes and suggesting Biden wears diapers.

    Once again, I will say to prayer in school "Sure. Five times a day, everyone will face East".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    what classified documents former President Trump was still hiding and even the location of those documents
    That sounds a lot like option B. Huh.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I just did a Google search for [trump raid fbi] (no quotes) and, of the top seven hits, three were from FOX News expressing outrage that the raid occurred.

    When I re-did that search but said only the last hour, Google gave four top stories, all four were FOX News. The three from above, plus an expert claiming the raid might have been illegal. Specifically, Rep. Steube (why yes, he is from Florida, how did you guess?) said

    And I just read an article right before I came on that they have to use less intrusive means. So if they didn't subpoena these documents, and they just raided his home without subpoenaing these documents, this raid may have been illegal.
    Okay...yes, if they didn't have a subpoena, the search would have been illegal. Uh-DOY. Good thing the FBI had one, huh? Seriously, FOX News, up your clickbait game. This is deplorable.

    Desperate to change the narrative, are we? Simply put, FOX News and the GOP are trying to push the narrative that Biden/the DoJ/the FBI overstepped their bounds, leaving aside any issue that Trump admitted he broke the law and the FBI walked out of Mar-a-Lago with proof, thanks @Edge- and everyone else who cited that. If it was some covfefe boy, they'd have just disowned him. They can't disown Trump.

    "You've spent months posting that they want to."

    Yes. And I've spent those same months saying how many voters they'll lose if they do. This was dropped in their laps and they didn't have a way to deal with it, so, they went with "How DARE you find out about all that stuff he did?"

    In the end, the issue isn't that cops can catch criminals, it's not even that Trump got caught. It's that Trump got caught, and they weren't ready yet. Redo this issue in two years when Trump has lost cases in GA and NYState, and DeSantis handwaves this during the debates against Harris.

    This is where I issue yet another challenge, but based on recent post history, I'm effectively throwing curveballs over an empty plate. Nobody's here defending Trump. But if there are any Trump supporters lurking in the shadows, afraid to show your face, first of all I don't blame you, but second of all...find literally anyone who said, in public, "Trump didn't take classified information to Mar-a-Lago". Find someone who said, not that Trump shouldn't have been raided, but that Trump is actually innocent.

    "We've seen people saying Trump could declassify at whim."

    Fine, find when he did that. Because it's been 18+ months, you'd think that would have stopped the raid. That's the challenge: find people who are saying Trump is innocent. Not that we shouldn't know he's guilty, but that he's innocent.

    You have 24 hours. Have fun in the shadows, cowards.

  16. #79396
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Midterm Voter View Post
    Remember Kids; "Only the Mob and Loozers take the Fifth!"
    Trump says he invoked Fifth Amendment in N.Y. attorney general deposition

    Trump said Wednesday that he refused to answer any questions from New York Attorney General Letitia James (D) in the civil investigation over his business.

    The deposition comes as Trump has faced a new level of legal scrutiny and just days after the FBI executed a search warrant at the former president's Mar-a-Lago residence in an unrelated investigation.

    "Under the advice of my counsel, ... I declined to answer the questions under the rights and privileges afforded to every citizen under the United States Constitution," Trump said in a post on his Truth Social account.

    "I once asked, 'if you're innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" Now I know the answer to that question," he also said.

    "When your family, your company and all the people in your orbit have become the targets of an unfounded, politically motivated Witch Hunt ... you have no choice."

    Trump earlier on Wednesday said that he would face questioning Wednesday from the New York state attorney general's office in its civil investigation.

    Trump said on his Truth Social account earlier on Wednesday that he would be seeing James "for a continuation of the greatest Witch Hunt in U.S. history! My great company, and myself, are being attacked from all sides. Banana Republic!"
    We've talked about this before. Recently, like minutes ago, I said you take the Fifth when you're out of other ways to stall. But further back, we talked about Trump taking the Fifth in a civil investigation. Long story short, it's bad.

    I went through the NYTimes tracker and found a few things.

    One, Trump is...confused. He thinks this is a PR problem that can be solved by riling up his base. WITCH HUNT etc. For someone who once bragged he sat for over 100 depositions, you'd think he'd know better by now. Also, good luck solving this with a PR stunt in NYC. Trump has no friends in NYC.

    Two, NYState almost certainly knew this and is planning on it. They will continue to ask more and more pointed questions, and cause more and more doubt/shade/embarrassment when he refuses to answer. It's also likely they're trying to bait Trump into going full "You can't handle the Truth Social!" basically taunting him on cooldown.

    Three, Trump by doing this has almost certainly come to accept his business is going to lose whatever judgements are coming his way. He's sacrificing his money to save himself. Considering money is the only thing people have ever claimed he was good at (it certainly wasn't telling the truth or running the country) this loss will be pushed by NYState to happen before summer 2024.

    And fourth, Trump is baselessly suggesting that the F.B.I. might have planted evidence during its search.

    Wow. "Those classified documents even I admitted I took? Those aren't mine!" Also your lawyer was on site! The fuck is wrong with him?

    In a post on Wednesday morning on his social media app, Truth Social, Mr. Trump said that the agents who showed up at Mar-a-Lago would not let anyone, including his lawyers, observe their work, which was authorized by a federal magistrate judge.

    Mr. Trump — who has not released the search warrant provided by the agents to his lawyers or the manifest his team was given of the materials the agents gathered and removed — baselessly suggested that the F.B.I. might have acted inappropriately.

    “Everyone was asked to leave the premises, they wanted to be alone,” he wrote, “without any witnesses to see what they were doing, taking or, hopefully not, ‘planting.’”

    Mr. Trump’s effort to sow doubts about the F.B.I.’s search before the results are known was in keeping with his history of trying to head off news by seeking to turn the tables on his accusers. The former president’s first line of attack against adversaries is often to mount a campaign in advance to discredit them and their work.

    Around the same time that his message appeared on social media, The New York Post published an article about the F.B.I. search, noting in the third paragraph that “a source close to the former president” had expressed concern that federal agents or prosecutors could have “planted stuff” in the 128-room building.

    The unfounded allegations seem to have first emerged on Tuesday morning when Christina Bobb, a lawyer for Mr. Trump who was present during the search, was asked during an interview on the right-wing TV station Real America’s Voice about whether it was possible that federal agents could have planted evidence.

    “There is no security that something wasn’t planted,” Ms. Bobb said before quickly admitting that she did not know if anything improper had occurred.
    Okay so I have to revise my previous challenge. Remember how I said "find someone who said Trump is innocent"? You can't just have Trump or someone quoting Trump, either. Claims of planted evidence will not be taken seriously until you have something better than "we don't know that they didn't". That shit doesn't flush. If the FBI was going to plant evidence anyhow, why not go after the insurrection charges? "We found the missing WH call logs," this hypothetical FBI guy could say, "and you can't prove otherwise because Trump erased the real ones. Oh shit, did I say that out loud?"

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    They genuinely have nothing outside of "AMERICA FIRST!" and whatnot.
    I have said many things, mostly negative, about the Republican Party since I grew up through Reagan. Until recently, I always thought Republicans actually had a plan, an agenda, things they wanted to do. Even if it was "fuck over black people and make ourselves richer". Even in 2016 that seemed accurate.

    It's not anymore. The closest I've seen recently to policy is "break up the FBI because they found out Trump was a criminal".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Shortly after noon, a police spokesman said that Mr. Trump had started to eat lunch, and the break was expected to last an hour.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

  17. #79397
    https://twitter.com/SarahHuckabee/st...55968448020480

    When you're attacking FBI agents because you're under criminal investigation, you're losing
    Reminder of that time Sarah Huckabee Sanders, former Press Secretary for Trump and current Republican candidate for governor in AR, made this post.

    And how it has aged like unpasteurized milk.

    I thought these folks "backed the blue"? Aren't FBI "the blue"? Why would they be worried about planting evidence? I mean, I hear you have nothing to fear from law enforcement if you've done nothing wrong!

    - - - Updated - - -

    https://www.businessinsider.com/law-...ed-info-2022-8

    A bill which former President Donald Trump signed into law in 2018 could be used to punish him if he's found to have mishandled classified information after leaving office.

    FBI agents on Monday raided Trump's Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida as part on an investigation into whether Trump wrongly kept hold of classified material after he left office.

    Bradley P. Moss, a national-security attorney, told Insider that Trump could face five years in prison if he's found guilty under a national security bill which he signed as president.

    The bill, which made changes to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) was signed into law by Trump in January 2018.

    It upgraded the seriousness of wrongly moving classified material, turning it from a misdemeanor into a felony — and increasing the maximum punishment from one year to five.
    Has this been discussed yet? How Trump basically pre-emptively self-owned himself? Because like, I'm kinda delighted that Trump signed a law that would potentially turn his activities relating to the unauthorized taking of classified information from a misdemeanor into a felony.

  18. #79398
    Remember the republicans only like law enforcement when it's hurting people they don't like. I'm sure that if the FBI would start doing the stuff they did in the civil right movement conservatives would be all for it.

  19. #79399
    So... who's making the "Lock Him Up" & "Trump For Prison 2024" bumper stickers?
    "The customer is always right" is a nice way of saying "I will put up with your bullshit as long as you pay me"

  20. #79400
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I guess I could have been more accurate. But basically, if they know Trump walked out with papers, they can look for papers. They can't take his phone unless they have PC that Trump texted people where the papers are.

    - - - Updated - - -
    That's assuming they don't suspect him of not turning over emails and such too. Unless that's not really a big deal or something. I'm sure nobody cares about some possibly classified information attached to emails and texts.

    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    It's Bizarroworld right now. Even Johnathan Turley, the dumbass so called "liberal professor" that frequents Fox News is even saying that the FBI had every right to collect classified information from Mar-A-Lago. I just find it hilarious, you see all these fucking pundits and propagandists on Fox News, Newsmax, OANN, and the morons of Youtube like Steven Crowder, Tim Pool and others going ABSOLUTELY NUTS, some even stating that they are going to start a civil war over Trump breaking the fucking law and the FBI seizing stolen classified material.

    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/fox-news...al-from-trump/
    Watching some of the (crazier) conservative forums and social media, they're just as riled up as they were before Jan 6th. Same calls to action and violence, there's just no time and place because its a disorganized rabble. If Trump makes another rally though...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •