1. #81281
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Trump wants CNN to "prove" that his "the big lie" is a big lie!
    That's not how defamation works. Of course, as always, what Trump says when not under oath should be dismissed as worthless and handwaved.

  2. #81282
    Marjorie Traitor Greene is planning on suing Twitter for banning her personal account. https://www.mediaite.com/politics/ma...-owed-damages/

    She does know that Twitter isn't the government, right? I mean, she is, but they aren't, they can ban anyone and everyone for any reason or no reason at all.

  3. #81283
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    She does know that Twitter isn't the government, right?
    “I’ve already talked to an attorney,” Greene announced. “I spoke with him last week, because I believe this is a complete violation of my freedom of speech.
    The lawyer should have said "no, it isn't". And the lawyer should have refused the case, knowing it would not succeed.

  4. #81284
    I Don't Work Here Endus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    78,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The lawyer should have said "no, it isn't". And the lawyer should have refused the case, knowing it would not succeed.
    On the other hand, they can take a few thousand as a retainer, tell her they'll look into the circumstances, spend three weeks blowing that retainer in whatever way they want to, and then tell her she doesn't have a case.


  5. #81285
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    On the other hand, they can take a few thousand as a retainer, tell her they'll look into the circumstances, spend three weeks blowing that retainer in whatever way they want to, and then tell her she doesn't have a case.
    I like that better!

  6. #81286
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The lawyer should have said "no, it isn't". And the lawyer should have refused the case, knowing it would not succeed.
    They lawyer did say No, almost guaranteed.
    She is just continuing the time honoured tradition of publicly lying about what your lawyer said in private. I heard they just love it when you do that.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  7. #81287
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The lawyer should have said "no, it isn't". And the lawyer should have refused the case, knowing it would not succeed.
    I would take it, charge her top dollar, defend her half heartedly, and at the end of the trial, laugh at her because you know the case would have never succeeded in the first place.

  8. #81288
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    However, it seems too early to have fired him.
    UPDATE: In a mild change, Kise is no longer going to start his own law firm, and instead joining an existing one.

    In an announcement first shared with NBC News, the president’s newly hired lawyer, Chris Kise, has joined Continental. The firm has a stable of Trump loyalists with deep Florida GOP ties and attorneys who describe their mission as a legal antidote to “woke cancel culture” that they say has taken over “Big Law.”
    Oh, wait, I hate to do this, but before we continue about the antidote to cancel culture, let's check in on Trump's lawsuit against CNN.

    If the former president is hoping to see this litigation succeed, he should probably lower his expectations. A Washington Post analysis explained that the lawsuit is “riddled with factual errors and non sequiturs” and “leans heavily on random Twitter users.”

    My MSNBC colleague Hayes Brown took a closer look at the specific claims raised by Trump’s lawyers and concluded, “All told, this is less a case of defamation and more a case of crying ‘they were mean to me.’”

    The next question then becomes one of motivation: Why bother with this misguided case?

    Part of the problem is with Trump’s twisted view of the First Amendment. The former president clearly has no use for a free press — he has echoed Stalin and literally described his own country’s independent news organizations as the “enemy of the people” — or the right of Americans to criticize those in positions of power.

    Another dimension to this is the Republican’s not-so-subtle intimidation campaigns. As the Post’s analysis added, Trump “files frivolous lawsuits aimed at intimidating his critics,” and this case against CNN is obviously part of the larger pattern.

    But let’s not overlook this Bloomberg report, which highlighted one of the most important angles:

    Less than 24 hours after filing suit against CNN, former President Donald Trump is asking his supporters to donate to his cause. “I am SUING the Corrupt News Network (CNN) for DEFAMING and SLANDERING my name,” the potential 2024 presidential candidate said in a fund raising email Tuesday that encouraged supporters to contribute $5 or more. “Remember, when they come after ME, they are really coming after YOU.”
    If this approach sounds at all familiar, it’s not your imagination: Last year, Trump filed a foolish lawsuit against Facebook and Twitter. Within hours of announcing the doomed case, Trump’s political action committee used it as the basis for an appeal to donors.

    These frivolous lawsuits are barely lawsuits at all. They’re fundraising gimmicks from a politician who’s a little too eager to separate his followers from their money.
    Huh. So it's a cash grab, but still, an attempt to cow people into agreeing with him. Sorry, Continental, you were saying? Something about being against cancel culture?

    Kise, a former solicitor general for Florida who also was attorney for the gubernatorial transition teams of both Govs. Ron DeSantis and Rick Scott, who's now a U.S. senator, said Continental has “exceptional firepower” to represent Trump and other clients, including conservative figures and causes.

    As a South Florida-based firm, Continental is well-positioned for the court fight — and possible criminal charges — related to the trove of highly sensitive records the FBI says it seized Aug. 8 from Trump's Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach.

    Continental's other attorneys include Carlos Trujillo, Trump’s former ambassador to the Organization of American States, who served in the Florida House; Richard Corcoran, DeSantis’ former state education commissioner and a past state House speaker; Paul Hawkes, a former Florida First District Court of Appeal judge in Tallahassee; and Jesus M. Suarez, a former chair of the Republican National Lawyers Association and a DeSantis appointee on a judicial nominating commission.

    Suarez said the...
    Hold on, something's not quite right.

    Carlos Trujillo
    Jesus M. Suarez
    (looks up bio and pictures)

    Huh...didn't realize Trump was so desperate for help, that he's hiring people bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.

    Suarez said the firm was happy to fill the void left by firms that wouldn't represent Trump or others like him.

    “We’re absolutely thrilled to represent conservatives who were shunned by Big Law,” he said. “The fact that there’s a segment of the legal establishment that won’t represent a former president of the United States because they disagree with his political views is antithetical to the practice of law.”
    Oh, I see. Law firms don't want to represent Trump, because they don't like his political stance. Not, for example, the fact that he doesn't pay people. Or never listens to legal advice. Or that he's already gotten more lawyers under investigation/disbarred/arrested than I've ever met. Or that he's objectively guilty.

    Well, these lawyers have experience in this sort of thing, and Kise did negotiate a contract first. Trump's other lawyers might have gotten in trouble, but I'm sure the people in Continental will be fine. Unless they kill John Wick's dog.

  9. #81289
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    34,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    UPDATE: In a mild change, Kise is no longer going to start his own law firm, and instead joining an existing one.
    Joining another firm says to me that he isn't getting that $3MM paycheck. But at this point it's a total guess. He might also need the resources of an existing law firm to adequately represent such a complicated criminal case.

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Huh...didn't realize Trump was so desperate for help, that he's hiring people bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.
    I see what you did there....

    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Oh, I see. Law firms don't want to represent Trump, because they don't like his political stance. Not, for example, the fact that he doesn't pay people. Or never listens to legal advice. Or that he's already gotten more lawyers under investigation/disbarred/arrested than I've ever met. Or that he's objectively guilty.
    Suarez said the firm was happy to fill the void left by firms that wouldn't represent Trump or others like him.

    “We’re absolutely thrilled to represent conservatives who were shunned by Big Law,” he said. “The fact that there’s a segment of the legal establishment that won’t represent a former president of the United States because they disagree with his political views is antithetical to the practice of law.”
    Actually, not getting paid is antithetical to the practice of law.

  10. #81290
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    They lawyer did say No, almost guaranteed.
    She is just continuing the time honoured tradition of publicly lying about what your lawyer said in private. I heard they just love it when you do that.
    Technically, all she said was that she spoke to her lawyer. She didn't say anything about her lawyer's reply.

  11. #81291
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters...-deal-00060603

    @Breccia have you talked about how Elon Musk is unintentionally destroying CyberTrump 2077?

    Digital World Acquisition Corp. and Trump Media & Technology Group are having a rough month.

    The blank-check company trying to merge with former President Donald Trump’s latest venture has seen its stock plunge 30 percent since the start of September. Shareholders have yet to come out with enough support for giving the companies another year to close the deal. And the Wall Street investors who had committed to putting $1 billion into the combined company have started to walk away, with several recently telling POLITICO the deal was no longer worth it.
    This is the bad news we already know, but there are new wrinkles thanks to Elon Musk seemingly forced into buying Twitter because he made a meme-offer.

    The Tesla CEO’s reversal on buying Twitter for $44 billion has thrown officials across Washington, the banks who were originally planning to provide financing for the deal and just about everyone else for a loop, including Digital World and Trump Media. That is because Trump Media’s signature product is Truth Social, the conservative social media app that acts today as Trump’s only online bullhorn following his banishment from platforms, including Twitter.

    Truth Social has struggled on its own to generate much traction beyond the conservative pundits, one-time Trump administration officials and other supporters of the former president who populate the platform today. But Musk’s light-touch vision for Twitter — based on less moderation and more free speech — threatens to further undercut Truth Social, even if Trump does eschew an invitation back to Twitter.

    Investors seemed to recognize as much following the initial reports that Musk and Twitter were back on. Digital World shares fell more than 5 percent during trading Tuesday. The stock only ticked up 0.3 percent Wednesday.
    All I have to say to this is -


  12. #81292
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    have you talked about how Elon Musk is unintentionally destroying CyberTrump 2077?
    At length, but not recently.

    I'm guessing, at this point, Musk will struggle and lose the court case and still not want to pay $44 billion, so he'll pay the cash-out escape clause. I've seen only a few updates, such as Elon's text messages which included "It's my responsibility to tell you that it's not helping me make Twitter better in the current context" to Musk, and Musk saying in public he plans to honor the deal while the court case has not even blinked -- what Musk says off the stand has no legal bearing. Reuters reports the case is slightly delayed but it has not stopped.

    In terms of Trump, yes, there are articles saying that DWAC took yet another hit. They recovered about one-fifth of that hit today, but are still down around his ankles *cough* around $17 and change, waaaaaaaaaaaaay the fuck down from their starting "value" and homing in on the $10 price of death.

    Trump, as always, is just sitting back and watching the thing he says he wants to do well, fail. I know, like he does with all his other companies. A question I hadn't seen before is "Why doesn't Trump push the DWAC board to a vote?" and the answer, of course, is laziness and apathy. Despite how much pride he takes on his name, he's not actually into effort. He's too busy not suing CNN and not suing Haberman.

    So yes, there's developments. None of them are good for Trump. It's understandable, I wouldn't want to directly finance a traitor or a felon, either.

  13. #81293
    https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...bi-1234606476/

    Now Trump apparently thinks that the National Archives is filled with "DEEP STATE LIBS" and, reportedly, wants to purge the agency, more or less.

    Jesus christ on a fucking stick, the absolute micrometer thin skin of these delicate snowflakes is pathetic. Truly pathetic.

  14. #81294
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Elon Musk seemingly forced into buying Twitter because he made a meme-offer.
    UPDATE: Musk calls for a stay in the trial, on the grounds that he's super serial about buying Twitter this time, yoo gaiz!

    The response from the judge should be "then do it already".

    UPDATE UPDATE: Jude orders a stay, until Oct 28th. If Musk does not buy by then, then...he'll ask for another extension and get it, I guess?

    Twitter is not thrilled.

    Now, on the eve of trial, Defendants declare they intend to close after all. ‘Trust us,’ they say, ‘we mean it this time,’ and so they ask to be relieved from a reckoning on the merits. Defendants’ proposal is an invitation to further mischief and delay.”
    Again, I do not trust Musk's recent seeming change of heart. I think his every move since making the offer has driven down the stock price, and therefore, buying now would be a massive overpay. I'm still pretty damn sure Musk has no intention of buying and will both default to the escape clause, but also, try to haggle that down.

    I'm more than a little surprised a Delaware court is putting up with this shit. It must be the same thing Cannon did with Trump: special treatment because he's famous.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2022-10-06 at 10:42 PM.

  15. #81295
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm more than a little surprised a Delaware court is putting up with this shit. It must be the same thing Cannon did with Trump: special treatment because he's famous.
    Affluenza continues to be one heck of a disability in the US.

  16. #81296
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/06/u...s-lawyers.html

    A top Justice Department official told former President Donald J. Trump’s lawyers in recent weeks that the department believes he has not returned all the documents he took when he left the White House, according to two people briefed on the matter.

    The outreach from the official, Jay I. Bratt, who leads the department’s counterintelligence operations, is the most concrete indication yet that investigators remain skeptical that Mr. Trump has been fully cooperative in their efforts to recover documents the former president was supposed to have turned over to the National Archives at the end of his term.

    It is not clear what steps the Justice Department might take to retrieve any material it thinks Mr. Trump still holds.

    And it is not known whether the Justice Department has gathered new evidence that Mr. Trump has held onto government material even after the court-authorized search in August of his private club and residence in Florida, Mar-a-Lago, and 18 months of previous efforts by the federal government to convince the former president to return what he had taken on leaving office.

    The Justice Department declined to comment.
    Will the government ever get everything Trump appears to have stolen, back? Probably not.

  17. #81297
    Immortal Poopymonster's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Neverland Ranch Survivor
    Posts
    7,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/10/06/u...s-lawyers.html



    Will the government ever get everything Trump appears to have stolen, back? Probably not.
    I'm not sure how we'd retrieve them from Moscow and Riyadh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok


    If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

  18. #81298
    The Undying Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    39,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Will the government ever get everything Trump appears to have stolen, back? Probably not.
    This NYTimes article brings up some of the same stuff, but also, new insight on Kise's role.

    Justice Department officials and representatives of Mr. Trump have held a number of discussions in recent weeks. After the call from Mr. Bratt, who has led the Justice Department’s investigation into Mr. Trump’s handling of the documents, Mr. Trump initially agreed to go along with the advice of one of his lawyers, Christopher M. Kise, who suggested hiring a forensic firm to search for additional documents, according to the people briefed on the matter.

    But other lawyers in Mr. Trump’s circle — who have argued for taking a more adversarial posture in dealing with the Justice Department — disagreed with Mr. Kise’s approach. They talked Mr. Trump out of the idea and have encouraged him to maintain an aggressive stance toward the authorities, according to a person familiar with the matter.

    It is unclear at which property Mr. Kise wanted a voluntary search by an outside group to be conducted. Along with his Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Fla., Mr. Trump frequently spends time at his club in Bedminster, N.J., and an office in Manhattan.
    This does feed into the "Kise was benched" theory.

    The disagreement among the lawyers about how to respond to the Justice Department helped create a fissure within Mr. Trump’s legal team and led, in part, to the minimization of Mr. Kise’s role in Mr. Trump’s legal team in recent weeks.
    I applaud Kise's efforts towards some semblance of resolution, but Team Trump was never going to admit they'd acted improperly, which is what hiring an outside team would be (in their eyes).

    An expert the NYTimes consulted suggested the next DOJ move would be to ask Trump, in court, if Trump has given back everything. Trump's statements outside the reach of perjury are meaningless. He would have to either say "Yes, this is everything, here is my signature on an official form" or the refusal to do that would be enough evidence to get more warrants. This highly aggressive move would most likely be done if the missing documents were highly sensitive.

    They may not be. This ABC News article takes statements from John Solomon, who said them in public. The story details a messy pile of random-ass documents that Trump basically said "I want some of this declassified" to a room filled with people who didn't know what he was talking about.

    Solomon claims that an 18-inch stack was related to the FBI's total Witch Hunt Hoax investigation into Trump's known, proven dealings with Russia. He also claims he looked them over and Trump said he would one day be able to publish them.

    But:

    "I had a brief interview with Trump in which he told me unequivocally he had signed the order completing the [declassification] and that I would be getting a set of the declassified documents to post online for the public," Solomon told ABC News in a statement this past week. "Later that same day, I was allowed, on two occasions, to briefly review a stack of documents that I was told were the declassified documents. I wasn't allowed to keep the documents either time, but was told I would get a full set later in the day."

    Shortly after 9 p.m. ET that day, Solomon appeared on Fox News and said he had "been through all the documents at least one time now."

    He told ABC News the documents he reviewed had redactions, cross-outs and other “markings on them indicating they had been declassified” – though at least some of them were not stamped “declassified,” as formally-declassified documents often are.

    Nevertheless, on the same day Solomon met with Trump and reviewed the documents, the Justice Department and U.S. intelligence community "were trying to get the documents back" from the White House,” Solomon said in a subsequent interview on Fox Business Network.
    That sounds a lot like someone who knew he wasn't allowed to keep government property.

    At the time, Solomon basically publicly promised a big bombshell story that, of course, never happened.

    Solomon is trying to stay clear of the Mar-a-Lago search and seizure, and instead is playing the role of a reporter who just so happens to want to reveal information about Trump in a bunch of documents that seem to have vanished, despite law enforcement demanding them back. Instead, he's managing to unintentionally present a story of petty, petty little Trump whose widdle feewings were hurt, and got so mad about it, that he lost what he wanted to say was evidence of his innocence in a giant Pile of Crazy even he couldn't dig through.

  19. #81299
    I really have to wonder what the lawyers that want Trump be more 'adversarial' are smoking. Being adversarial is what got Trump into the mess in the first place. If he had just returned everything there would likely have been no desire to charge him.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  20. #81300
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    I really have to wonder what the lawyers that want Trump be more 'adversarial' are smoking. Being adversarial is what got Trump into the mess in the first place. If he had just returned everything there would likely have been no desire to charge him.
    They're telling Trump what he wants to hear. If he's already hired them, it's because they want to keep that job. If he hasn't, it's probably because they think getting that job would be great for their career.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •