1. #88141
    The Unstoppable Force Mayhem's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    pending...
    Posts
    24,198
    So Team Trump is currently working hard to load the gun for Biden and hand it to him.

    Did I get this right?

    Not saying that Biden would actually do any of that shit Team Trump is currently arguing for but if their defense holds he could just assassinate all the Republicans in the House and Senate and not fear prosecution?
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

  2. #88142
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So Team Trump is currently working hard to load the gun for Biden and hand it to him.

    Did I get this right?

    Not saying that Biden would actually do any of that shit Team Trump is currently arguing for but if their defense holds he could just assassinate all the Republicans in the House and Senate and not fear prosecution?
    Sounds good to me. Let's end this maga disaster once and for all

    But we all know this is not what they mean.. This total immunity would magically apply to only tRump, even if it was worded to apply to all presidents.

  3. #88143
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    So Team Trump is currently working hard to load the gun for Biden and hand it to him.

    Did I get this right?
    I don't know if this is right, or instead if this is some mutation of "criminals don't follow laws" like the NRA uses. Team Trump just seems so intent to make no sense at all, so they can do whatever they want with no consequences.

  4. #88144
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    this is factually incorrect. Trump can serve UNLIMITED terms as president. the text of the 22nd amendment is as follows.

    "No person shall be ELECTED to the office of the President more than twice..."

    getting elected is NOT the only way to become president. You can also become president via line of succession. Which means the House can name you as Speaker which puts you second in line of succession. Then if the president and vice-president both resign, you become "acting" president. The thing is, no-one expects that to ever happen on purpose, although some devoted members of Trumps camp could in theory do it to reinstall Trump as much as they like. In fact this whole thing by the republicans where they have begun destabilizing the office of Speaker by booting McCarthy could be seen as setting it up. Still, Trump is very very old and might die in office in the next 4 years if anything.
    Honestly, while this is technically true, it ignores the context of the discussion happening which was about elections and Donald. Because any of this potentially happening is such a stretch that Stretch Armstrong is jealous.

  5. #88145
    Titan Lenonis's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    14,399
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Omfg what a spineless legal system. Holy hell, how is this possible... ahahaha
    I'm operating under the assumption that the judge is doing everything possible to avoid giving Trump's legal team the chance to appeal based on inappropriate or biased behavior by the judge.

    That is the only reason I can think of that makes letting Trump run wild during the trial make any sort of sense.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

  6. #88146
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    I'm operating under the assumption that the judge is doing everything possible to avoid giving Trump's legal team the chance to appeal based on inappropriate or biased behavior by the judge.

    That is the only reason I can think of that makes letting Trump run wild during the trial make any sort of sense.
    The judge received a bomb threat to his home after he said he isn't going to let tRump speak. I think you're being a bit too optimistic.

  7. #88147
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Honestly, while this is technically true, it ignores the context of the discussion happening which was about elections and Donald. Because any of this potentially happening is such a stretch that Stretch Armstrong is jealous.
    You agree with me then, as I said its extremely unlikely to ever happen. I'm just pointing out that the law doesnt bar anyone from unimited terms. thanks for your support on the issue.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

  8. #88148
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    You agree with me then, as I said its extremely unlikely to ever happen. I'm just pointing out that the law doesnt bar anyone from unimited terms. thanks for your support on the issue.
    I would also like to point out that you are not a flying spaghetti monster that can only mate while under a double rainbow in field of tulips.


    That was about as useful as your contribution to the discussion regarding the amount of times someone can be president. Thank you for your contribution. It was about as helpful as my cat throwing up on my keyboard was towards me getting any work down. The only thing it was missing was some weird rant about how the only path forward is to appease racists and extremists.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2024-01-12 at 07:51 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  9. #88149
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,302
    And now, a quote from the man some of y'all chose to be your leader and will vote for in 2024:

    Fox News has canceled MyPillow!
    Shit, that's Mike Lindell. I had him confused with Trump because he's failed businessman facing a massive lawsuit friend of Steve Bannon who continues to push election conspiracy lies.

    The Judge cut me off in Court and would not let me explain that I was worth much more than the 4 plus $Billion (years ago) I show in the Financial Statements, which are conservatively done.

    Judge Engoron, curiously, cut Mar-a-Lago’s VALUE by a Billion Dollars, all the way down to $18,000,000 (and other assets as well!) to try and save the A.G.’s case. What is going on here? WITCH HUNT! ELECTION INTERFERENCE!

    Why didn’t Judge Engoron announce his decision yesterday after we proved conclusively that I DID NOTHING WRONG!!
    That's Trump, the failed businessman facing a massive lawsuit friend of Steve Bannon pushing election conspiracy lies. How ever did I get them confused?

    "Didn't Trump claim he was worth TEN BILLION DOLLARS! in 2016?"

    How nice of you to remember, voice in my head, I posted not only that quote but the link to the official document he filed where he said it. And I think that was the last year involved in this case, close enough at least, 2016. In that same posting of mine I just linked, I also cited that Trump has confessed, under oath, that his net worth is based on his feelings. In other words, Trump said, under oath, that he could not have defended four billion, either.

    Or, to quote the judge in this case:

    Valuations, as elucidated ad nauseum in this trial, can be based on different criteria analyzed in different ways. But a lie is still a lie.
    Oh, and as I posted at the time, as did others...I'm linking a post this way because the user is inactive for five years and doesn't need to be dragged back, but, deserves credit. In that post, he quotes multiple articles each saying Trump's disclosure form in 2016 was easily double what everyone else said. Saying "it's true because Trump said it on his fiscal disclosure forms" is not a defense, it's actually admission of a lie.

    Oh, that's above and beyond the whole "closing arguments aren't evidence and also aren't under oath" of which the second half is bullshit. Just avoiding testimony and lying to the judge/jury on purpose? Sorry @cubby I'm not shitting on your profession or your knowldge of it, but that rule is just stupid.

    "Is it true you can't commit fraud if there are no victims?"

    No. According to this guy who opposes the Trump trial in question, NY can not only take profits from the illegal activity even if there are no damages, the damages are based on the profit of the wrong doer not the loss of the victim. Incidentally, federal law says something fairly similar, so even if Trump moved his case, which I don't think is possible, it won't help.

    Oh, and the judge also flat-out said at least once that the lenders gave lower rates based on those false values. They should have charged higher rates, but Trump lied, so they did not. They were victims. Trump is lying.

    "At what point did Team Trump prove they did nothing wrong?"

    That never happened. As a reminder, hold on lemme find it...Sept 26 was when Engoron found that Team Trump committed fraud. Pretty sure we're just in damages at this point. Sounds like a few other Team Trump cases, doesn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, by the way.

    "The judge cut Trump off?"

    Okay, there's like basically nobody on these forums who doesn't know that, but on the off chance you somehow missed it, Engoron gave Trump limited ability to speak in the part of the trial which, again, he could lie without consequence. But he did have to stay on topic, and he did have to lay off the attacks. He did neither. And, again, you can't introduce new evidence in closing arguments. Trump was trying to, yes he was lying but lies are still evidence.

    I can't find a transcript, there were no cameras, but I did find some quotes.

    You have your own agenda. I understand that you can't listen for more than one minute
    I've been persecuted by someone running for office. This statute is vicious. It doesn't give me a jury. It takes away my rights.
    I think, your honor, this case goes outside the facts
    This is a political witch hunt that should be set aside. We should receive damages for what we've gone through.
    Saying "the judge cut him off" is like saying "the police took my guns" after you're caught committing a mass shooting. It was Trump's fault, and a lot of us think Trump shouldn't have gotten that far -- or even started. Put his fat ass under oath next time.

    Donald Trump is in trouble. He should be terrified. I have seen very little that suggests that Engoron will do anything but hit Trump hard over this. Everything presented by the state showed recklessness or worse as a long-term coordinated effort, and all Trump had was yelling off the stand. Oh, and one expert the judge flat-out said was bought.

    The most glaring flaw is to assume that the testimony of defendants' experts, notably Messsrs. Jason Flemmons and Eli Bartov, is true and accurate, or at least that the Court, as the trier of fact, will accept it as true and accurate. Bartov is a tenured professor, but all that his testimony proves is that for a million or so dollars [EDITOR: $877,000 and change] some experts will say whatever you want them to say. His overarching points was that the subject statements of financial condition were accurate in every respect. As this Court discussed in excruciating detail in its September 25, 2023 summary judgement decision, the Statements of Financial Condition ("SFCs") contained numerous obvious errors. By doggedly attempting to justify every missstatement, Professor Bartov lost all credibility.
    -- Engoron, emphasis mine

    This ruling is only three pages long and stomps on pretty much everything Trump or his lawyers said even once, because everything they said was objectively false and easily shown as such. The last paragraph is about liability, for example, and handwaves Trump's comments about his vague disclaimer being a legal defense, because it isn't one.

    Engoron said he'd decide by Jan 31. Honestly, it would not surprise me if he waited until the very end like every other benefit he's given Trump, so I'm not holding my breath. But he has yet to say anything that makes me suspect he's going to let this kind of behavior off with a warning.

  10. #88150
    Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    I would also like to point out that you are not a flying spaghetti monster that can only mate while under a double rainbow in field of tulips.


    That was about as useful as your contribution to the discussion regarding the amount of times someone can be president. Thank you for your contribution. It was about as helpful as my cat throwing up on my keyboard was towards me getting any work down. The only thing it was missing was some weird rant about how the only path forward is to appease racists and extremists.
    correcting the record is useful. unless you want a forum with a bunch of false information.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    He can't be president without being elected. How fucking DENSE are you? And he will never be speaker, being speaker requires him to actually do work, he would never do that.
    yes he can. you are wrong. i just literally pointed out the text word for word.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

  11. #88151
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    correcting the record is useful. unless you want a forum with a bunch of false information.
    So when are you going to leave the forum?

  12. #88152
    I would like to think we try and debate with reason and not bully eh? It's important to hear all sides.
    I think he was pointing out a way trump could stay in charge without altering any current laws or rules, something most dictators do while rewriting the laws to give themselves full power.

  13. #88153
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    I would like to think we try and debate with reason and not bully eh? It's important to hear all sides.
    I think he was pointing out a way trump could stay in charge without altering any current laws or rules, something most dictators do while rewriting the laws to give themselves full power.
    And it was about as useful to the discussion as pointing out that sometimes people accidentally try to answer the tv remote when the phone rings.

  14. #88154
    That's fine, just saying it's good to try to engage with some civility so people with a different perspective aren't chased off, instead of tried to be reasoned with.

  15. #88155
    Nothing wrong with pointing out when people are being pedantic idiots. And they absolutely know they are being pedantic.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

  16. #88156
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    correcting the record is useful. unless you want a forum with a bunch of false information.

    - - - Updated - - -
    You not posting at all would be a far more significant drop in the false information on this forum than the time you wasted with your minor correction. So if correcting falsehoods is the spirit of your post I hope you take a good hard look at your posting history.

    And considering the likelihood of the situation you were discussing happening your post was again about as useful as my cat throwing up on my keyboard is to my productivity. I suppose the argument could be made it was less useful than zero.........barely.

    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    I would like to think we try and debate with reason and not bully eh? It's important to hear all sides.
    I think he was pointing out a way trump could stay in charge without altering any current laws or rules, something most dictators do while rewriting the laws to give themselves full power.
    I'm well aware of what he was doing thank you very little. That poster has a history of posting blatant falsehoods, supporting the Jan 6th insurrection, favoring appeasement of violent regimes and political extremists, and overall just wasting everyone's time. Being a pedantic asswipe to derail the discussion isn't helpful.


    If you wish to entertain the homeless man wrapped in tin foil screaming the aliens in his bum are going to eat us all you do you. I personally wont bother debating that person. Even if he happens to get an answer right out of the blue. Trump is more likely to get hit by lightning twice in what remains of his life than the situation Kokolums described. And while technically correct, broken clock is right twice a day and all that, given his past it was almost certainly not done in good faith.

    Not all sides are equally useful to listen to.

    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    That's fine, just saying it's good to try to engage with some civility so people with a different perspective aren't chased off, instead of tried to be reasoned with.

    No. This person has been given that grace multiple times and other better and more detail posters have taken the time to engage with him. It's a waste. You wanna try and piss a boulder uphill you do you. I'll pass.
    Last edited by shimerra; 2024-01-12 at 08:41 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

  17. #88157
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Nothing wrong with pointing out when people are being pedantic idiots. And they absolutely know they are being pedantic.
    Isn't he pointing out a legal loophole in the same vein that Putin used before rewriting the law there? Or Erdogan? It's a scary thought and not beneath the Fat Orange Bastard.

  18. #88158
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    That's fine, just saying it's good to try to engage with some civility so people with a different perspective aren't chased off, instead of tried to be reasoned with.
    Unless those people are conspiracy-theorist jackasses constantly chomping at the bit for "CIVIL WAR!!11!!". Check their posting history here and maybe you'll find out why nobody here could give less of a fuck what their "perspective" is on anything or why it's fucking useless to "try to reason" with them. Being a sealioning pedant doesn't suddenly mean they have merit.

  19. #88159
    Void Lord Breccia's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    40,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Yup, Engoron gave Donald exactly what he wanted.
    Carroll said the same thing. In a letter to the judge, Carroll's lawyers said Trump did this as a test run, and was about to do it in front of her jury.

    Trump, wrote Carroll's attorney Roberta Kaplan in a letter to the judge, "May well perceive a benefit in seeking to poison these proceedings, where the only question for the jury is how much more he will have to pay in damages for defaming Ms. Carroll. This court should make clear from the outset that Mr. Trump is forbidden from engaging in such antics and will suffer consequences if he does so."

    "It takes little imagination to think that Mr. Trump is gearing up for a similar performance here — only this time, in front of a jury," Kaplan added. "Indeed, as noted above, Mr. Trump promised a second round of this same scenario in his remarks to the press just yesterday."
    I cannot think of a better response to "why do you think Trump will go off-topic and lie when giving a closing statement?" than "he did it yesterday".

  20. #88160
    Quote Originally Posted by alach View Post
    Isn't he pointing out a legal loophole in the same vein that Putin used before rewriting the law there? Or Erdogan? It's a scary thought and not beneath the Fat Orange Bastard.
    The US is not a dictatorship (yet). There is quite a long long way to go before we have the GOP actively trying to push Trump back into WH for another term by abdicating the Presidency and VP for him.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •