"And are you saying that this describes your client perfectly?"

Defense clears their throat.

You just have to love that Trump had to sit there for hours seeing how much people hate him and he couldn't do shit about it. How much ketchup ended up on the walls?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    You just have to love that Trump had to sit there for hours seeing how much people hate him and he couldn't do shit about it. How much ketchup ended up on the walls?
    About that: there are unconfirmed reports that he's farting so much, his lawyers are struggling with the smell. Now that's a gag order.

Far more reliable, the NYTimes said he's been falling asleep, again. I get that court proceedings can have stretches where not a lot of exciting stuff is happening --especially if your views of courtroom is TV shows like Perry Mason -- but (a) he keeps claiming how important and smart and healthy he is, falling asleep helps none of that (b) if he can't stay awake for a courtroom trial how's he going to stay awake in the WH, and (c) he's the defendant, you'd think he'd take this seriously, this is "you go to jail for this" level of crime here. Farting is unproven, posting on social media is proven, and falling asleep while his life is being decided iis proven.

"Wait, how do you know it's proven? All we have is the word of the NYTimes, one of the most famously accurate newspapers of all time."

Actually, we have Trump's word, too. He's seething about the reports in private, which means they're both true and getting to him.

In recent conversations with Republican associates, Trump has repeatedly torn into Haberman and her CNN appearances, attacked her journalistic credentials, and bizarrely insisted that she was wrong about him falling asleep. Despite his dozing being widely reported, Trump has laid much of the blame for the detail going viral at Haberman’s feet. He was even observed glaring at her on Monday as he exited the courtroom following her CNN appearance.

Trump has also privately asked people close to him if they agree that the courtroom sketch-artist must be out to get him, two of the sources say. Trump has critiqued the sketches of him that have circulated in the media this week, and insisted some of the images were likely drawn to make fun of him. One such sketch captured Trump snoozing, with his eyes closed and head tilted.

When court broke for lunch on Tuesday, Trump was observed licking his lips as he walked down the middle aisle before flashing a small smile at the courtroom sketch artist as he exited.
    For further proof the stories are true, the Trump campaign denies it.

“None of these sources know what the hell they’re talking about and clearly have no access to any type of factual information,” says Trump campaign spokesperson Steven Cheung. “These are the types of losers who will try to peddle fantasy as fact because they live miserable existences.”
    Fantasy as fact, such as "I won the election in 2020". At this point, the glass house is a mixture of shards and stones thrown from the inside.

Of course, Trump has little choice than to fart, snore, and glare at the sketch artist.

Trump’s Options for His Defense Are All Bad

I recommend that Slate article, I want to quote the whole thing. But I'll summarize for now.

1) Nobody mistook the person ordering the payoff as Trump by accident.
    2) Trump can use the "advice of counsel" defense, but he must testify to do so. He might literally rather die than put his credibility on the stand.
    3) Cohen's testimony will likely be backed by people who aren't Cohen, most notably Hope Hicks in the White House, so Trump can't just call Cohen a liar and assume that's enough.

Actually let me quote from that part:

The prosecution, although acknowledging Cohen to be a morally damaged witness, will surely argue that it was his willingness to lie, cheat, and steal for the boss that qualified him to be Trump’s attorney in the first place.
    Read that line again. No, really, read it again. Prosecution is likely to argue that Trump hired liars on purpose to help him break the law. In court. Under oath, basically. With evidence.

4) The National Enquirer used catch-and-kill before, not just with Daniels.

We should expect the same thing from Team Trump that they always use: distractions, baseless motions at nearly-closed loopholes, ALL-CAPS postings and lying on the courtroom steps. What we should not expect is "Trump didn't do it, we have proof".

And just to demonstrate that everyone else knows where this is going, this is a competele uncut headline from NBC:

Trump cancels campaign rally in North Carolina due to stormy weather

Stormy, indeed. For the record the storm reports were severe, I just love that headline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Remember the $175 million reduced bond Trump got?
    UPDATE: former US attorney Glenn Kirschner adds more to this story.

In a Saturday post to X, formerly Twitter, Kirschner, a former assistant U.S. attorney and frequent critic of the former president, shared a video in which he discussed the objected bond in Trump's civil fraud case.

"Trump's very bad week: a jury is in the box in his criminal case, and NY AG James objects to the $175 million bond Trump tired [sic] to post in his civil fraud case. And wait until you hear the three reasons AG James urges the judge to reject the bond," he wrote.

Kirschner noted that while Trump attends his New York hush money trial, James might be "up the street seizing Trump's properties" as he explained James' three reasons to objecting the bond.

On Friday, James objected again as she filed her response, writing that KSIC was "not regulated by the state's insurance department" and "had never before written a surety bond in New York or in the prior two years in any other jurisdiction."

Kirschner explained: "First movants fail to meet their burden of establishing that there is sufficiently secure and ascertainable collateral backing the bond. Second, the court should not rely on KSIC's financial summary attached to the bond as evidence that KSIC has sufficient capacity to justify writing a $175 million bond. Third, under the regulations that govern the placement of insurance on an excess line...KSIC is not qualified to act as the surety."

He added: "At this rate, it looks like there is a fair chance that while Donald Trump is in that New York courtroom being prosecuted for 34 felony crimes, Attorney General Letitia James might be up the street seizing Trump's properties."
    Until recently, I thought posting bond/bail was "here is some cash, hold this for me". I honestly didn't think it was some company saying "we promise to pay later, pinky swear". Either I'm flat-out wrong, or that's yet another way the justice system is horribly classist.

Anyhow, yes, Trump will be given more time, but this is closer to 60 days than the original 30. NYState's patience is running out. Trump would rather die than have his property "stolen" (fairly and legally seized) by, well, let's just say "this particular person" and fill in the blanks yourself. Trump claims to have $500 million in cash, the reduced bond is $175 million, Trump may not want to use his own cash but at this point he may have no good option.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2024-04-21 at 03:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Until recently, I thought posting bond/bail was "here is some cash, hold this for me". I honestly didn't think it was some company saying "we promise to pay later, pinky swear". Either I'm flat-out wrong, or that's yet another way the justice system is horribly classist.
    That's the reason for the laws that Trump's bond is tripping over; those bond companies have to be approved to do business in NY and need to have the assets on hand to pay. Neither seems true for the insurance company Trump's using. Under normal circumstances, an approved bond company just pays up immediately; they are "good for it" and have established that before the courts, and have every reason to not piss the courts off by trying to delay. The risk of the client not paying them is their reason for existing.

Not transferring the actual cash just limits any possible issues with holding bags of cash or fees on digital transfers back and forth. It's a convenience because everyone's up front about their obligations and responsibilities.

The moment you introduce a sketchy insurance company, that goes out the window and James is right to call it out.

Anyhow, yes, Trump will be given more time, but this is closer to 60 days than the original 30. NYState's patience is running out. Trump would rather die than have his property "stolen" (fairly and legally seized) by, well, let's just say "this particular person" and fill in the blanks yourself. Trump claims to have $500 million in cash, the reduced bond is $175 million, Trump may not want to use his own cash but at this point he may have no good option.
    They don't need to give him more time. He got given an extra 10 days, for a reduced amount, and what he offered was insufficient. The hearing on Monday about this could very easily turn out to be "full balance by end of day or we'll start seizing properties at 9am Tuesday."

Of course, that's idealistic and imagining that the courts do what's responsible rather than bowing and scraping before the Orange Farttoad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Not transferring the actual cash just limits any possible issues with holding bags of cash or fees on digital transfers back and forth. It's a convenience because everyone's up front about their obligations and responsibilities.
    I mean...we are talking about criminals here. I did not think any amount of trust by anyone was involved. I haven't looked into this, but I always thought the idea behind paying bond/bail is, when you fled, the courts still had the money. Not an IOU. But I guess that's what the license is for, which individuals don't have.

Not that the law should be making exceptions, but this KSIC seems very Trump-friendly and I would not trust them to pay. I would expect them to say "well Trump never gave us collateral so we're not paying" and bring the whole thing into yet another mass of lawsuits. As you've pointed out, they don't have that license, so they're not trusted in this case -- the Trump issue is marginal.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    They don't need to give him more time. He got given an extra 10 days, for a reduced amount, and what he offered was insufficient. The hearing on Monday about this could very easily turn out to be "full balance by end of day or we'll start seizing properties at 9am Tuesday."
    No, as I already posted NYState is asking for seven days. One more drop in the "give him every possible chance to avoid the appearance of bias, while he does nothing but scream bias over and over" bucket. I agree with you, NYState is being too lenient. Team Trump knows the rules of posting bonds, this company can't do it, they objectively haven't met the required obligation in time. But the state is asking for yet another extension to give Trump every reasonable and now unreasonable chance. It would not surprise me in the least to learn Trump knew KSIC couldn't do it, but let them pretend to try, as an extension while he finds someone who will use their money instead of his. Meanwhile he's stuffing dollar bills into a suitcase just in case this doesn't work. He would literally rather die than let some woman seize his illegal assets.

I mean...we are talking about criminals here. I did not think any amount of trust by anyone was involved. I haven't looked into this, but I always thought the idea behind paying bond/bail is, when you fled, the courts still had the money. Not an IOU. But I guess that's what the license is for, which individuals don't have.

Not that the law should be making exceptions, but this KSIC seems very Trump-friendly and I would not trust them to pay. I would expect them to say "well Trump never gave us collateral so we're not paying" and bring the whole thing into yet another mass of lawsuits. As you've pointed out, they don't have that license, so they're not trusted in this case -- the Trump issue is marginal.
    The bond company is a middle-man so the court doesn't have to deal with it. The defendant pays the bond company, either directly if you have the money or via collateral, property. The court always gets payed by the bond company, and then the bond company comes a knocking to you for the money or the collateral. This isn't just for Trump or other rich folks, a regular guy off the street arrested for a bit of weed also pays through such companies.
    If you flee the bond company gets to hunt you down, heck the US had (maybe still has) reality tv programs of bounty hunters hunting down people who skipped bail.

This is why no one wanted to put up the bond, none of the bond companies rightfully trust Trump to pay them. While they are required to pay the court and then come to Trump get their money back.

That is also where the argument here comes down to, the company Trump used doesn't appear to meet the liquidity requirements for the bond. There is a question if that company can pay directly when called to do so which is their one job as a bond company as far as the court is concerned.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    That is also where the argument here comes down to, the company Trump used doesn't appear to meet the liquidity requirements for the bond. There is a question if that company can pay directly when called to do so which is their one job as a bond company as far as the court is concerned.
    Yeah, we'll find out, but everything I've seen suggest they've flat-out broken the letter of the law.

Yeah, we'll find out, but everything I've seen suggest they've flat-out broken the letter of the law.
    Yeah, they probably broke the law because the law exists to make sure the bond company can pay the bond.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Melania Trump launches a new Mother's Day gift: a necklace she claims to have designed that can be engraved with a name or date or the like.

It's $245.

Those who buy the necklace can also receive a limited-edition digital collectible that is minted with the Solana blockchain
    That's right: comes with a "free" NFT.

Melania Trump launches a new Mother's Day gift: a necklace she claims to have designed that can be engraved with a name or date or the like.

It's $245.

How much do you think Trump is asking her for some cash?

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    How much do you think Trump is asking her for some cash?
    Zero. First, I don't think these will sell enough. Two, she hasn't sold any yet and Trump has demonstrated he only values results that benefit him. Three, I think Melania knows her finite time in a position of authority is coming to an end and is trying to capitalize on it.

- - - Updated - - -

This NYTimes article is a good summary piece leading into Trump's first thirty-four felonies.

Prosecutors are expected to call Cohen, of course, but back his story with testimony from Pecker and Weaselberg, of all people.

Prosecutors plan to introduce a document containing Mr. Weisselberg’s handwritten notes about the reimbursements — a key piece of evidence demonstrating that Mr. Cohen did not act alone.
    Team Trump will have a hard time saying "Cohen is lying" with so many people Trump hired on purpose backing what Cohen is saying under oath.

The NYTimes also expresses skepticism that Trump will take the stand, meaning this won't even be "he said/he said", but "he said/silence". We all know why Trump won't testify, but even if that's the only sane move, it won't help.

- - - Updated - - -

The Corrupt Soros Funded District Attorney, Alvin Bragg, who has totally lost control of Violent Crime in New York, says that the payment of money to a lawyer, for legal services rendered, should not be referred to in a Ledger as LEGAL EXPENSE.

What other term would be more appropriate??? Believe it or not, this is the pretext under which I was Indicted, and that Legal Scholars and Experts CANNOT BELIEVE. It is also the perfect Crooked Joe Biden NARRATIVE—To be STUCK in a courtroom, and not be allowed to campaign for President of the United States!
    Trump, off the stand of course, is trying to pretend that giving someone $130,000 for them to give someone else that same $130,000 is, somehow, legal fees to that lawyer. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was pretty sure lawyers got to keep the money you paid them for services rendered.

Can't help but notice that Trump is also blaming Biden for this, again.
    @BlackDruid96 you have proven in your posting history you view things Trump says positively, and have been recently active in this fast-moving thread. Perhaps you can discuss why Trump's payment to Cohen, which was immediately handed to Stormy Daniels, was a legal fee? Or how Biden is directing this? I think 24 hours is plenty of time for you to honestly and genuinely respond, as an honest and genuine poster who has proven they are willing to defend Trump.

Trump, 10am today (April 22)

It's $245.

Damn, pivoted from the NFT being the thing you buy to the NFT being the, "But wait, there's more!" bonus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Judge Merchan says Trump won't testify.

After hearing arguments Friday, Judge Juan Merchan ruled that prosecutors can cross-examine Trump about six of the 13 prior court determinations they requested to raise in their efforts to impugn Trump’s credibility in front of jurors.

Merchan ruled that prosecutors are permitted to question Trump about two rulings — one by a judge, the other by a jury — finding that Trump defamed advice columnist E. Jean Carroll by denying her claims of sexual assault.

The judge said prosecutors can also raise the decision in Trump’s civil fraud trial finding that he fraudulently manipulated property values as well as rulings finding that Trump violated the gag order in that case. Trump can also face questioning about a 2018 ruling in a lawsuit against his foundation.

But Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg (D) cannot bring up sanctions imposed against Trump in a lawsuit he filed against Hillary Clinton in Florida, the judge ruled, as well as several other “bad acts” prosecutors desired to cross-examine Trump about.

Merchan’s ruling is designed to give Trump’s legal team an informed view as it mulls whether the former president should take the stand in his defense.
    "What about that says Trump can't testify?"

I didn't say can't. I said won't. If Trump takes the stand, his proven frauds will be shoved in the jury's collective faces. Considering these are specific findings of guilt in court, they're objectively evidence of his past criminal actions. I think the ones disallowed were disallowed because they reflect more on the lawyers than on Trump himself. Trump ran a fraud, but his lawyers attacking Clinton crossed the line on Trump's behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post

We all know that notepad will, at most, be used to scribble his draft of his next Truth rant about how Soros funded this forum reply and Biden directed it BIGLY.

Man what a defeated-looking bunch of losers.

10+ Year Old Account
    New York Times reporter Susanne Craig wrote on the paper’s liveblog of the trial at around 10am local time (3pm UK time): “Trump is struggling to stay awake.
    All that staying up late raging about the courts is really helping, huh?

Who am I kidding. Trump could not usefully contribute to his defense in court. He's honestly better off asleep...well, until sleeping in court counts as contempt.

- - - Updated - - -

As mostly expected, the $175 million bond was accepted by the court. Despite it being illegal on its face Engoron allowed it, most likely in the continuing bucket of "giving them every possible leniency to remove even the whiff of bias" which is still fucking stupid, because Trump will continue to scream BIAS! into his phone and at his rallies.

There was no reasonable reason to do this.

At the bare minimum, some conditions have been set.

While Engoron allowed the bond to stand, Trump and Knight Specialty Insurance Company agreed to meet several new requirements, per a spokesperson from the New York State Attorney General's office.

• Knight Specialty Insurance Company will retain "exclusive control" of the $175 million account, and the company and Trump will provide a monthly account statement certifying that there are sufficient cash funds for the bond.
    • Knight Specialty Insurance Company has agreed to designate an agent of process in New York.
    • The agreement between the company and Trump also can't be amended without court approval.
    I am sick and tired of Trump being given all these advantages that nobody else has. The rule of law means nothing if some people don't have to follow it. At least this issue won't be appealed...why would it, Trump won every exchange.

At the very minimum "prove you have enough cash" is settled, now. They have to keep showing account balances. I'm a little mystified why the contract between KSIF and Trump can't change. That doesn't seem like something that should be allowed to happen under any circumstances. Who tells their bail bondsman "I've changed my mind, I've decided not to pay you"?

As mostly expected, the $175 million bond was accepted by the court. Despite it being illegal on its face Engoron allowed it, most likely in the continuing bucket of "giving them every possible leniency to remove even the whiff of bias" which is still fucking stupid, because Trump will continue to scream BIAS! into his phone and at his rallies.
    I hope Engoron enjoys being a spinless fuck living in fear for the rest of his life.

Gosh, are there just any fucking consequences for literally anything Donald does, ever? Seems like not, and seems like everyone should make mockeries of our judicial system and then just point to shit like Donald and for why nobody else should ever suffer consequences for repeatedly ignoring court orders.

I guess if I ever need to get a bond I can go with a company that's neither licensed to operate in the state and also has failed to provide proof that they have the liquid assets to cover the bond. And if the judge gets all uppity about it I'll point to that time Donald did the same thing and it was totes fine, he even had the bond amount reduced by more than half! I should tell them I'm too rich to pay!

Fucking joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I hope Engoron enjoys being a spineless fuck living in fear for the rest of his life.
    Again, I hope it's less "spineless" and more "I don't want any possibility of any mild issue from getting in the way". But the end result is still the same. Trump not only got an extension, not only got a lower bond, but got a blatantly illegal one because nobody valid wants to touch this case.

I am really quite curious what deal KSIC/Trump signed that can no longer be changed is. KSIC has to know that the judgement is far higher than the $175 million they barely have. The amount could be reduced on appeal, and they'd still be out the whole thing.

A witness who spoke to federal investigators in their probe of how documents with classification markings ended up at former president Donald Trump’s Palm Beach, Florida home long after the end of his term in office was so afraid of repercussions for cooperating with the FBI that he asked agents not to record his voluntary interview.

According to a heavily-redacted copy of an FD-302 — an FBI form memorialising the contents of a witness interview — the witness, a former Trump White House official, spoke to investigators on 2 November 2022.

The investigators, including Department of Justice attorneys Jay Bratt and Julie Edelstein, advised the witness — referred to as “Person 16” in the redacted document — that it is unlawful to lie to federal investigators.

The FD-302 form states that after he acknowledged the warning, the witness “refused recording of the interview” even though he was told such behaviour would be “anomalous” because other witnesses had consented to being recorded.

But the witness told investigators he “accepted ‘that risk’” because having his interview with FBI agents recorded would be “a far bigger risk to him in the Trump world”.
    https://archive.is/LGDli

Now, is this a discussion about a mob boss? Or a former president who is currently the de-facto head of and party nominee for a major political party?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want some schadenfreude, Trump was on Lies Social whining that his cultists aren't loyal enough to show up in numbers protesting outside the courthouse in Manhattan.

It started as a rant about the protests at Columbia University and took a sudden swerve declaring that Republicans had a right to protest in front of the Courthouse.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

OMG I am LOVING this. Donald slap-them-in-the-pussy Trump having to sit still all day during his criminal trial. Being told what and when to do it. While a minute penalty to all the hate and harm he's done to this world, it's still very good to see.