Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    Then they borrow money and get repaid when unemployment is back below 5-6%. That is how the system works. Pay out when its high, bank/repay when its low

How can they almost be out of money when you had 10x the number of unemployed in 2009-2012.
    such bullshit

Every plan in congress gives hundreds of billions in extra funding to UI, so stop spreading such drivel UI funding is not going to be a huge issue no more so than 2009-2012. They gave hundereds of billions last time and even doubled the number of weeks you could qualify for.
    To be clear on the sheer amount of drivel in that and all his other posts:

"PROVIDENCE -- Eighteen new cases of coronavirus have been detected in Rhode Island since Monday, bringing the state’s total to 124, Gov. Gina Raimondo announced Tuesday.

Raimondo also announced that the state is partnering with the Massachusetts-based Care.com to help “frontline workers” in the fight against coronavirus access child care and elder care. The company has agreed to allow 90 days of premium access, and set up a special site at care.com/rineed.

Raimondo suggested that some Rhode Islanders who are out of work might be able to find job opportunities through the site, and that volunteer opportunities may also be found there.

Raimondo also said the Boys and Girls Club, the Greater Providence YMCA, Children’s Workshop, Children’s Friend, and Learning Brooke will begin offering on-site child care for children of essential hospital workers."

https://www.providencejournal.com/ne...w-restrictions

I cannot believe this dumb ass is really going to do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    Which dumbass are we talking about? It's hard to keep up nowadays...

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, now that I think about it...how will Trump re-open the economy?

1) He's been very clear...(checks news)...he was eventually clear enough that trade isn't being stopped at the borders.

2) He can't open a state, governors do that.

3) He can recall the National Guard, but, what effect does that have?

4) He could suspend DPA and stop ordering businesses to make medical supplies. But...near as I can tell, he hasn't done that in the first place. Ford, GM and Tesla said they'd make ventilators, good for them, I'm sure they'll sell and make good money. But I must have missed the part where Trump threatened them with a federal law. If they're still needed, and still selling, wouldn't Ford, GM and Tesla (plus whoever else jumps in) say "we're good, thanks"? Or, would Trump order them to make cars again? That doesn't seem like something the DPA can do. "We're out of the crisis. Now, I use my wartime powers to order you to make more Accords!" "Wrong company, Mr.Trump." "Bigly!"

5) He can stop blocking people from traveling. Awesome. Who's going to come here? "Oui oui, monsieur, the United States, we can fly there again, mon ami!" "You mean, the current epicenter of the disease? Sacre bleu! We must go at once!"

6) And of course, there's the business owners themselves. Yes, I'm sure they're soaking every table and chair in ever restaurant in America with enough Clorox to turn a warlock into a priest -- think about it, you'll get there -- but can Trump order them to open their doors to potentially sick or carrying customers? Look, small businesses need the money, I 100% get that, and they'll open when it's safe.

Which is when?

Well, I know where to look for the answer:

EDIT: Because they both wear cloth, warlocks are purple, priests are white, and bleach turns cloth white.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2020-03-24 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Which dumbass are we talking about? It's hard to keep up nowadays...
    Trump. Just saying fuck it and opening the whole country when the rest of the world is closing down.

I wish sweden would give every one with low income 1000 dollar. Or thats part of the thing democrats stopped?

- - - Updated - - -

Trump. Just saying fuck it and opening the whole country when the rest of the world is closing down.
    Well, if he does, he act like sweden your calling trump a lefty?

when the $$$$ gets to him and fox news starts their propaganda machine there is no turning back.

AM radio propaganda was in full swing last night and this morning.
    They must have whip lash at this point in less than 2 weeks they went from

"its all under control"
    "its not that bad"
    "its just like the flu but not as bad"

"its something we need to take seriously"
    "we need social distancing"
    "we need to shut down..."

"shutdown is too long"
    "we need to be back to work in 15 days"
    "the cure is worse than the virus"

sigh....even someone at work tried to have the same conversation with me, I shut him down so fast.
    He was all about "his wife" not getting paid anymore. Who cares about anyone else.

Sheep are sheep
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Donald Trump wants the churches filled by Easter!

Yes. Churches filled with predominantly old people.

No way it ends badly. No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    Donald Trump wants the churches filled by Easter!

Yes. Churches filled with predominantly old people.

No way it ends badly. No way.
    His Base. I mean "ends badly" for the individual and his party for sure!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    Or thats part of the thing democrats stopped?
    The current Democrat bill in the House seems to be $1,500US per person who has under $75,000 income. Also their kids. It does not mysteriously drop to half that because you're poor. And it extends furloughed people's salaries for up to four months, also known as "Easter and then three and a half more months".

Maybe you're reading this and thinking "this is a blatant way to one-up Trump".

You would be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    This is a letter sent in to Talking Points Memo--I thought I'd share it since we're seeing it play out right here:

"I wanted to write in with a different perspective than the one I’m seeing take hold among progressives. I work in oil and gas (yes; yes; I know. I’m sorry) and, as such, I interact with conservatives all the time. It’s interesting watching the conservative id coalesce as it does.

Initially, they have some diversity of opinion as new facts come to light and then they all eventually fall in line behind the command and control structure that is the conservative mind meld.

In the beginning, I saw a lot of what I think most people assumed was mainline conservative thinking: that the virus wasn’t a big deal; that it was just another H1N1 and we should just ignore it.

But, there was a second group that more closely aligned with this new Trump/Dan Patrick thinking. The comments I heard went something like this, “This is going to sound bad, but 2% really isn’t that many people and it’s mostly old people anyway. They’ve lived a good life. Overpopulation is a major problem and it will also help with social security.”

I’m writing in because I fear we are treating this as a more fringe idea than it actually is. I don’t think this is Trump reacting to his properties being forced to close or to a Fox News segment he saw. I think this has serious legs. …

It’s part Ebeenezer Scrooge morality; part inability/unwillingness to comprehend the scope of horror coronavirus is capable of inflicting on us. Of course, implicit in their thinking is that it won’t affect them.

We must be clear-eyed about what we’re up against. These people absolutely do not give a shit if 2.2 million people die. And they lack the imagination to understand what exceeding our hospital bed capacity by 30X looks like.

I really don’t think this is Trump sending out a trial balloon by himself. This is mainline Republican thinking and we should act accordingly."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...or-the-economy
    When is somebody going to tell Republicans and their corporate overlords that the same people they are saying need to be sacrificed for the economy are the backbone of their voting base. The people most at risk of covid-19 are their major voting force. They have the highest turn out percentage wise of voters and if they don't show up in Nov for Trump and the GOP they will be pretty fucked. So maybe Trump and the Republicans shouldn't be so ready to prepare them to sacrifice them to their Economy god.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiri View Post
    The sad part is: it will work. These kinds of moves aren't there to sway his critics or those smart enough to understand the proper context/ramifications. That info might be publicly available, but getting it requires a) a little bit of work and b) an understanding how these sorts of things work. But this kind of move is designed to be used by Sinclair and Fox to deliver those who don't want to put in the effort to find out good sounding news. "Trump sends navy hospital ships to help" as a headline will sadly always beat informative posts such as yours -.-
    Of course it will work. Trump's bullshit always works, and it really bothers me that many people on this forum have seen it work for five years, and somehow think it won't work this time. There is nothing different about this time, it was always serious, and it never matters.

Trump understands something that Democrats really struggle to grasp. Soundbites win elections. Stupid, simple ideas that are repeated constantly win elections. And bold faced lies told confidentially enough are indistinguishable from the truth for a solid plurality of voters.

Big complex policies with idealistic goals do not win elections. The democrats that kept slamming Bernie Sanders plan by constantly asking how he would pay for it couldn't grasp the concept that voters did not care how he would pay for it. Bernie wisely kept details to a minimum, and kept repeating the soundbite. In any other election cycle it would probably have worked.

Trump's bullshit works because we allow it to work. Because after 4 years (Counting the campaign here), the media still chases after the latest dumb thing he said, and still acts shocked that he said something insensitive or untrue. So the headline is always on the latest thing, and Trump is allowed to write the narrative of his last objective failure.

That is why the Mueller Report is a total exoneration of Trump. Not because it literally is, but because Trump got to define it as so, and so that is what his supporters remember.

That is why his impeachment ended up as a gigantic victory for Trump, that energized and empowered him. Despite people on this board claiming it would break him, it did no such thing. Because Trump wrote the narrative on that one too.

That is why nobody talks about his negotiations with Kim (Objective failure, still no plans to denuclearize, never any productive talks), or his Middle East peace deal that was such a wet fart that everyone forgot about it in 48 hours, or his failure to constrain Iran in any way, or his abject failures in Syria or Afghanistan. Or that time he tried to install Guidado as president of Venezuela and completely failed.

It is why he gets to talk about the wall like it is still going to happen, even though after 4 years nobody knows what the wall is supposed to look like, where it is supposed to go, or where he is going to get the money. It is why he pretends he revolutionized Trade agreements, despite not a single one of his trade proposals coming into effect yet, and the "Easy to Win" trade war being a complete disaster. It is why he gets to paint his Tax cut as a success, and not a colossal waste of cash that we now desperately need. It is why he gets to ignore the fact he was running record deficits in a boom economy, and he will be able to get away with claiming all those deficits were due to Coronavirus.

Because nobody in the media takes the time to go back, revisit stories that aren't in the headlines, and paint him for the complete and objective failure he is. Instead they keep rushing to the latest outrage, so a bunch of pundits can act shocked that Trump said a mean thing about Congressman.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The current Democrat bill in the House seems to be $1,500US per person who has under $75,000 income. Also their kids. It does not mysteriously drop to half that because you're poor. And it extends furloughed people's salaries for up to four months, also known as "Easter and then three and a half more months".

Maybe you're reading this and thinking "this is a blatant way to one-up Trump".

You would be correct.
    Apart from if your 75001+ income holder then its those fucking democrats

And if no deal, everyone under 100k will say those fucking democrats

10+ Year Old Account
    Apart from if your 75001+ income holder then its those fucking democrats
    Eh, I am well over that threshold, and I am totally fine with it. I do not need or want a check, I will be fine. I would just give it to a food bank or something anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    When is somebody going to tell Republicans and their corporate overlords that the same people they are saying need to be sacrificed for the economy are the backbone of their voting base. The people most at risk of covid-19 are their major voting force. They have the highest turn out percentage wise of voters and if they don't show up in Nov for Trump and the GOP they will be pretty fucked. So maybe Trump and the Republicans shouldn't be so ready to prepare them to sacrifice their Economy god.
    My first thought was that he's fine with letting people in blue states die, mostly because he doesn't have the capacity to understand it will overtake red states as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfive View Post
    This is a letter sent in to Talking Points Memo--I thought I'd share it since we're seeing it play out right here:

"I wanted to write in with a different perspective than the one I’m seeing take hold among progressives. I work in oil and gas (yes; yes; I know. I’m sorry) and, as such, I interact with conservatives all the time. It’s interesting watching the conservative id coalesce as it does.

Initially, they have some diversity of opinion as new facts come to light and then they all eventually fall in line behind the command and control structure that is the conservative mind meld.

In the beginning, I saw a lot of what I think most people assumed was mainline conservative thinking: that the virus wasn’t a big deal; that it was just another H1N1 and we should just ignore it.

But, there was a second group that more closely aligned with this new Trump/Dan Patrick thinking. The comments I heard went something like this, “This is going to sound bad, but 2% really isn’t that many people and it’s mostly old people anyway. They’ve lived a good life. Overpopulation is a major problem and it will also help with social security.”

I’m writing in because I fear we are treating this as a more fringe idea than it actually is. I don’t think this is Trump reacting to his properties being forced to close or to a Fox News segment he saw. I think this has serious legs. …

It’s part Ebeenezer Scrooge morality; part inability/unwillingness to comprehend the scope of horror coronavirus is capable of inflicting on us. Of course, implicit in their thinking is that it won’t affect them.

We must be clear-eyed about what we’re up against. These people absolutely do not give a shit if 2.2 million people die. And they lack the imagination to understand what exceeding our hospital bed capacity by 30X looks like.

I really don’t think this is Trump sending out a trial balloon by himself. This is mainline Republican thinking and we should act accordingly."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...or-the-economy
    Whatever happened to the "pro-life" republicans? Oh yeah, they never existed.

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Eh, I am well over that threshold, and I am totally fine with it. I do not need or want a check, I will be fine. I would just give it to a food bank or something anyway.
    You know if you have to much money, there is plenty of people you can help. You dont need to be a ass about it, or maybe you have to?

10+ Year Old Account
    You know if you have to much money, there is plenty of people you can help. You dont need to be a ass about it, or maybe you have to?
    Wasn't intending to be an ass. Just saying that not everyone needs a check. Should probably have dropped out the last sentence, because you are right, that does look pretty douchey.

its ok all those rich folks and corporate heads will be able to afford to fly to other countries after Easter when our medical system collapses.

They will get care in countries that did not re-open.

the rest of us are fucked, won't even be able to find Tylenol
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Wasn't intending to be an ass. Just saying that not everyone needs a check. Should probably have dropped out the last sentence, because you are right, that does look pretty douchey.
    Its ok, we all type to fast sometimes.