Quote Originally Posted by Inuyaki View Post
    Let's just hope it does not get worse than the Kansas Flu 100 years ago.
    (Since we now seem to call diseases by their likely region of origin instead by their names)
    The Spanish Flu starting in Kansas is something of a mangled meme.

The virus starting in Kansas was a result of historical forensic work by a historian and an author in 2003/2004. And it's accurate that the first cases reported were in a military base in Kansas in 1918.

However more recent epidemiological data indicates that the virus likely began in China in 1915. Telling is it's modern day identification as an H1N1 virus, with an origin in birds and it being related to viruses endemic to China. It was brought to North America via Canada by Chinese laborers in 1917. Samples of the virus taken from US soldiers in early 1918 match those taken from Chinese victims in 1917. The subsequent spread to Boston and the East Coast was brought on by returning troops from Europe from World War I.

Sources:
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/3401475?seq=1
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...cience-health/

Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    And yet we had our president touting the usefulness of something before it's truly known. It's almost like he shouldn't have said it in the first place.
    He also said bleach and Lysol kills it but you don't see people killing themselves with that. If they overdosed on their arthritis or lupis meds I would get your point. But they took F....ING FISH antibiotics. You are literally saying that the president is responsible for every americans stupidity. People are responsible for their actions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post
    The Spanish Flu starting in Kansas is something of a mangled meme.

The virus starting in Kansas was a result of historical forensic work by a historian and an author in 2003/2004. And it's accurate that the first cases reported were in a military base in Kansas in 1918.

However more recent epidemiological data indicates that the virus likely began in China in 1915. Telling is it's modern day identification as an H1N1 virus, with an origin in birds and it being related to viruses endemic to China. It was brought to North America via Canada by Chinese laborers in 1917. Samples of the virus taken from US soldiers in early 1918 match those taken from Chinese victims in 1917. The subsequent spread to Boston and the East Coast was brought on by returning troops from Europe from World War I.

Sources:
    https://www.jstor.org/stable/3401475?seq=1
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...cience-health/
    Thanks for this Skroe. Was looking for a good article to link to this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by some guy View Post
    I think Trump should quit with the medical advice and go back to raking forests.
    Oh yes the forest raking, a book can be written with his stupid quotes. Future generations are going to look back and ask Mom and Dad or the grand parents, what the actual fuck happened in that era.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    Oh yes the forest raking, a book can be written with his stupid quotes. Future generations are going to look back and ask Mom and Dad or the grand parents, what the actual fuck happened in that era.
    And with great shame Mom and Dad will tell Junior...."It's all because of Benghazi and some E-Mails."
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trunksee View Post
    People are responsible for their actions.
    Including the president.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    My neice when she's in her late 20s and asks Uncle Poopy why things are so full of suck?

Well, little one, you see, it all started in 2016 with a gorilla named Harambe...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Thanks for this Skroe. Was looking for a good article to link to this.
    To offer two more bits of context from those artciles (well paper + artcile)

- The Canadian military brought thousands of Chinese laborers (and infected Canadian troops) to Europe for the war, which is how the virus made its way to Europe, before it made its way back to the US later in 1918. Infection to US military bases in Kansas and Iowa was likely brought by visiting Canadian forces.

- While the data on virus's evolution and type is sound, data (such as numbers of people sick and with what) from the Warring States period of China is very unreliable. Which means matching what the scientific data says with the historical data is also very unreliable according to the writers.

- One of the telling data points in the paper is that there isn't a history of any other H1N1 virus taking on a a virulent mutation in North America (and among North American birds). If it started in Kansas, it would be a one off, which would be very peculiar. But China has a history of H1N1 viruses mutating and crossing to mammals, including with Swine Flu, which started with birds again.

The short of it is, the data on it starting in China is compelling, but far from conclusive. But the data for it starting in Kansas isn't scientifically grounded at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    And with great shame Mom and Dad will tell Junior...."It's all because of Benghazi and some E-Mails."
    Or you can say it was because of this group call SJWs, Antifa and these ideas that people had that it was bad to own guns.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or you can say it was because of this group call SJWs, Antifa and these ideas that people had that it was bad to own guns.
    Ah yes the infamous bullshit cry of the MAGAts...

I got called a racist because I called black people the N-Word....damn those SJWs!

People are knocking over trash cans while I support killing certain demographics....damn those Antifa!

We should take those guns and worry about due process later....We need to ban bump stocks! Damn those Demo...oh wait that was your hero.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    The other side with pepe the frog meme's and other crap is just as bad, actually this whole "us vs them" mentality is the root cause of this. So you are actually part of the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, the Antifa/SJW strawman. Only slightly less ridiculous than the various pizza parlor pedophile conspiracies touted by the same groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    For those interested, here is another poll showing the approval rating of Trump's handing of the Coronavirus issue in the US......https://www.foxnews.com/politics/gal...mp-coronavirus

President Trump's approval numbers are as high as they've ever been throughout his presidency as he deals with the coronavirus outbreak, according to the latest Gallup poll.

The poll shows 60 percent of Americans approve of the president's handling of his actions to combat the virus. That includes 94 percent of Republicans and 60 percent of Independents, while just 27 percent of Democrats approve of the president's handling of the outbreak.

Meanwhile, his overall job approval is at 49 percent, which is tied for the highest he has ever been when polled by Gallup. Trump jumped 5 points in the tracking poll from earlier this month.

Gallup is the latest poll to favor the president amid the coronavirus outbreak. ABC News and CBS News had him at 53 percent job approval over his handling of the crisis, while Monmouth University had him at 50 percent.
    This is the bumb most presidents receive during a crisis, however unlike for example Bush, Trump can't go invade a random country.
    Bush managed to draw out his increase in support by the public by invading Iraq and making sure people kept ''supporting there President'' but Trump can't really invade China or draw out this crisis (which Trump himself knows)

Partly unjustly but this virus will probably hurt Trump long term because I can not imagine that a potential recession will improve his reelection chances. Trump could have done allot of things different (read allot better) which could have mitigated some of the negative impact but not all of it.

Honestly knowing Trump I think that this poll numbers will actually hurt him. Trump will do what Trump does as long as he thinks that it will increase his poll numbers not caring if its actually harmful or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Ah yes, the Antifa/SJW strawman. Only slightly less ridiculous than the various pizza parlor pedophile conspiracies touted by the same groups.
    Seeing the way these people were acting before the 2016 was the exact reason I voted for the first time in my life for Trump.

- - - Updated - - -

The other side with pepe the frog meme's and other crap is just as bad, actually this whole "us vs them" mentality is the root cause of this. So you are actually part of the problem.
    Completely agree. The country is pushed further right and there isn't enough progressive left to pull it the other way.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Seeing the way these people were acting before the 2016 was the exact reason I voted for the first time in my life for Trump.
    Oh please. You were advocating murdering bank employees just yesterday.

But protestors are the problem. Sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    This is the bumb most presidents receive during a crisis, however unlike for example Bush, Trump can't go invade a random country.
    Bush managed to draw out his increase in support by the public by invading Iraq and making sure people kept ''supporting there President'' but Trump can't really invade China or draw out this crisis (which Trump himself knows)

Partly unjustly but this virus will probably hurt Trump long term because I can not imagine that a potential recession will improve his reelection chances. Trump could have done allot of things different (read allot better) which could have mitigated some of the negative impact but not all of it.

Honestly knowing Trump I think that this poll numbers will actually hurt him. Trump will do what Trump does as long as he thinks that it will increase his poll numbers not caring if its actually harmful or not.
    If we actually do get hospitals restocked, we get a lull so we can get our health industry ready for the next surge and we get the economy going again he will be looked at as a hero to a lot even if a decent number of people die but the hospitals don't get overwhelmed. He is basically looking for the lull from the 2 weeks of shelter in place in most areas. Its about a week out and his hope is we can bolster the health care industry to a point that it can deal with another surge in June or if its seasonal and slows down on its own. Its a shot in the dark but it might work.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree. The country is pushed further right and there isn't enough progressive left to pull it the other way.
    Progressive left movement in the US does not exist in any meaningful capacity you voted for a conman because you got scared by a made up boogeyman.

Or equal rights for those who are not male and white scared you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing conspiracies about pizza pedophiles and strawman pushed by said grifting conspiracy theorist to get some gullible idiots to watch their junk videos and subscribe to their Patreon is why you voted for Trump?

That's what you're proud of? Uh, alright whatever floats your mcBoat.

Also, didn't you vote for the first time because you just turned old enough to?

That's assuming we all don't from cancer caused by the sound of windmills.

Progressive left movement in the US does not exist in any meaningful capacity you voted for a conman because you got scared by a made up boogeyman.

Or equal rights for those who are not male and white scared you.
    Cant get into race relations. Against forum policy learned that the hard way. I voted for my gun rights though yes, I believed the left wanted to go to far.