The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/u...formation.html
    Study Finds ‘Single Largest Driver’ of Coronavirus Misinformation: Trump
    This story broke today. Oh the irony.
    Holy hell that's hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    It gets him 1) sympathy, 2) a fake recovery that 2a) makes him look strong and/or 2b) downplays the threat of the virus, and 3) stops the media from talking about his horrible debate performance and the fact that he's a white supremacist.

Seems like a lot to gain to just stay inside for 14 days.
    I donth think it will get him simpathy. It will show him as a weak person, that failed and lied to the public.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    you think he wants to stay inside for 14+ days really? really? no he wants to do rallies to feed his ego. he wants to play golf cause he loves that probably more than he loves ivanka. I do not believe Trump is capable of playing 4d chess to fake this and lose everything he loves to do, even for a couple weeks.
    And yeah, that is a really solid point. He can't stop the love fest COVID-19 super-spreader events. And 14 days of him sitting in front of the tv watching people mock him - the tweet-rages will be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Flower Milk View Post
    If Trump somehow survives it then I won't believe he actually had it and was just some ploy to get people to take it less seriously or something. There is no way he survives COVID.
    the mortality rate is a lot higher for older individuals with comorbidities, but unless he is already suffering from some form of pneumonia or clotting issues, he still has a better chance of living than dying.

Also, to the people worried that this will make him sympathetic, it won't. Sympathy isn't a given because something bad has happened to a person, that person has to first be of the quality that people can find them sympathetic. A man who whines about people constantly being unfair to him, constantly belittling everyone, and consistently downplaying the severity of COVID-19 is not a sympathetic person. People are growing weary of Trump, even his supporters (I was eavesdropping in on a Trumper discussing how well Trump did in the debate, and he was not surprisingly singing the praises of how Trump owned Biden, but he did mention unprovoked that he could have done without all the interrupting and that it was very off-putting).

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eviscero View Post
    It gets him 1) sympathy, 2) a fake recovery that 2a) makes him look strong and/or 2b) downplays the threat of the virus, and 3) stops the media from talking about his horrible debate performance and the fact that he's a white supremacist.

Seems like a lot to gain to just stay inside for 14 days.
    But Trump wouldn't see it that way. Trump would see it as weakness. And Beanman's point is spot on - Trump couldn't give up what he loves doing the most, he never has, and he never will.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    you know what happens in about a month? And how do you fe--
    Yeah yeah.

Honestly, I'm sticking with this. Nobody wants to be the doctor who broke the bad news to the next President, even if the news is "Don't worry, Mr. Pence, Trump won't fuck up the next two debates."

If the positive quick result is accurate, they'll basically seal him in a Walt Disney level cryochamber and force vitamins into any opening that isn't speaking. Nobody is going to be better treated in the next however many days than Trump.

This will cost him rallies and, yes, the fact that he's now quarantined with a case of the disease he handwaved will cost him. I disagree with some of my fellow posters: he will not garner sympathy, for he's the man who showed none. There is nobody in America who is undecided, but will be swayed to vote for Trump because Trump is sick. Nobody. People who care about the life of other people, because they're good people and not because they follow a religion already voting for Trump, tend to have negative feelings about people who kill two hundred thousand then shrug.

This is the time to press the attack.

This is the time to go to America and tell them your plan on how to fix this mess, without fear of being shouted over.

This is the time to attack Trump on his failures in diplomacy, in economics, in his personal life, and hope that some PAC points out the medical stuff so you don't get your hands dirty.

This is the time to get his taxes.

Full court press. Blitz. Zerg rush. Gates of Orgrimmar. Fire blue particle cannons full, red particle cannons full, gannet magnets fire them left and right, and let ‘em run all chutes. Give him both barrels. Burn it down and salt the earth. No survivors.

The man who ruined the debates by pretending to be strong could spend a few days bed-ridden with what he called the flu. There won't be another chance like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post
    the mortality rate is a lot higher for older individuals with comorbidities, but unless he is already suffering from some form of pneumonia or clotting issues, he still has a better chance of living than dying.

Also, to the people worried that this will make him sympathetic, it won't. Sympathy isn't a given because something bad has happened to a person, that person has to first be of the quality that people can find them sympathetic. A man who whines about people constantly being unfair to him, constantly belittling everyone, and consistently downplaying the severity of COVID-19 is not a sympathetic person. People are growing weary of Trump, even his supporters (I was eavesdropping in on a Trumper discussing how well Trump did in the debate, and he was not surprisingly singing the praises of how Trump owned Biden, but he did mention unprovoked that he could have done without all the interrupting and that it was very off-putting).
    Well If the mini stroke thing is actually a thing, that could cause potential problems with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jakeic View Post

I wish this was the case. Unfortunately, people will try and spin this for all it's worth, and it may, indeed, garner some sympathy for him. Moreover, if he beats it (which i assume is what will happen) he'll be seen as stronger for it. A veritable "who better to lead the fight against the coronavirus in 2021 than someone that beat it themself?" bullshit talking point.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2020-10-02 at 05:52 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I wish this was the case. Unfortunately, people will try and spin this for all it's worth, and it may, indeed, garner some sympathy for him. Moreover, if he beats it (which i assume is what will happen) he'll be seen as stronger for it. A veritable "who better to lead the fight against the coronavirus in 2021 than someone that beat it themself?" bullshit talking point.
    Or he survives but it leaves his mental abilities more fucked than they already are.

A lot people survive but are left with some serious and noticeable after effects.

The point is, he could beat it.. But people are voting right now, and he could be out of comission until after nov-3
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, did Trump just condemn white supremacists because he thought he might be dying and realized he's going to Hell if he doesn't change?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    The man who ruined the debates by pretending to be strong could spend a few days bed-ridden with what he called the flu. There won't be another chance like this.
    A chance to throw the election you mean. By all means have Biden and the Democrats act like complete assholes right now and see how far that gets you. The best thing they could is keep quiet, offer their prayers and go win in November.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    The point is, he could beat it.. But people are voting right now, and he could be out of comission until after nov-3
    Sure enough, but unfortunately this isn't about convincing the public at large. The public at large, like in 2016, will not vote for Trump and weren't going to. This is about the electoral college, and this is about convincing the handful of undecided snowflakes in the tiny boroughs of swing states that could tip the vote one way or the other. And they're exactly the kind of generally ill-informed (hence being undecided at this point) louts who would be swayed by "Trump being so brave fighting the virus" or "Biden being a bully, criticizing Trump while he's sick."

Quote Originally Posted by CostinR View Post
    A chance to throw the election you mean. By all means have Biden and the Democrats act like complete assholes right now and see how far that gets you. The best thing they could is keep quiet, offer their prayers and go win in November.
    Biden and Harris should say next to nothing on the matter beyond "thoughts and prayers."

But other democratic politicians? They should very much push a tasteful angle of "we told you it was a threat."
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    But Trump wouldn't see it that way. Trump would see it as weakness. And Beanman's point is spot on - Trump couldn't give up what he loves doing the most, he never has, and he never will.
    Maybe you're right. My first instinct is to doubt literally anything Trump utters. For instance, I never really believed Trump's behavior matched his constant downplaying of the seriousness of the virus. He knows it's serious and yet he lies to the public because he thinks it will benefit him to do so.

For his supporters that actually buy his bullshit, sure, it's only a matter of time before they get it: they actually behave in unsafe ways and they also don't have an army of people around them testing anyone and everyone before they're allowed to interact.
    Last edited by Eviscero; 2020-10-02 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By all means have Biden and the Democrats act like complete assholes right now
    Someone hasn't been reading very well. I specifically said that Biden should leave all the medical attacks to people who weren't him.

Biden can and should continue to put his message out there, while attacking Trump's dismal failure of a record, in any subject except COVID. PAC basically hired goons can do that, plus, you know, reality. But the election is in about five weeks and Biden's not going to give up two out of charity to the man who has none.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Thoughts and prayers.
    It is what it is.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

7+ Year Old Account
    Biden and Harris should say next to nothing on the matter beyond "thoughts and prayers."

But other democratic politicians? They should very much push a tasteful angle of "we told you it was a threat."
    So what they can feel good about themselves, when many of those people have their own elections to win.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

I am going to take one for the team here and get a ban for everyone that wants to say it but cant bc they are afraid they will be banned

I hope Trump dies. Like the dude is genuinely irredeemable. I'll throw a party if he dies even if it does violate state restrictions
    [Infraction]
    Last edited by Rozz; 2020-10-02 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Minor Trolling

10+ Year Old Account
    Fox is having to explain to its viewers what coronavirus is.

God really should fire whichever angel scripted 2020 for this writing it's too on the nose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Agreed. Biden should only say "we wish the president a speedy recovery from this horrible disease, and pray he doesn't join the thousands of people that have already died from this very serious disease."