Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's going to be harder and harder to maintain that narrative if the deaths start going up.
    It's already hard to maintain that narrative because hospitalizations is going up.

Hospitalization numbers are pretty much the bridge indicators between increased cases and increased deaths.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-10-20 at 02:37 AM.

Fuck I hate seeing those numbers going back up like this. On a purely petty, personal level, I'm just pissed a bunch of stupid, selfish assholes are dragging this out for the fucking rest of us. Would be real nice to have some actual leadership on the issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    The last time I heard Burma:
    It’s on my driving “playlist”:

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

@Benggaul those are some crappy numbers to start the week. Maybe I’m pessimistic, you say we might hit 70k this week, but given how much it’s been increasing, I’m thinking 70k might be low for this week, I think we might see at least one day in the 75-80k =\

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    @Benggaul those are some crappy numbers to start the week. Maybe I’m pessimistic, you say we might hit 70k this week, but given how much it’s been increasing, I’m thinking 70k might be low for this week, I think we might see at least one day in the 75-80k =\
    Well considering today is Monday it's impossible for 70k to be the low for the week.

However I agree that we could reach 75k. The day with the highest totals for the week is usually Friday and last week we passed 71k. A 9k jump on Friday to pass 80k is not out of the realm of possibility.

A Woman In Her 30s Died From COVID-19 On a Flight--For FUCK'S sake, Texas. This actually happened back in July but they only RECENTLY found out that she died of COVID-19.
    This fucking terrifies me.

No underlying health conditions.
    Was able to board a flight and apparently died because even taking off on the 1-2 hour flight.
    Died on a fucking airplane.

Jesus christ, I know it was for completely different reasons but like...I'm slowly warming up to John Madden's fear of airplanes.

On a lighter note, here is very well done song on why you should wear a mask!

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/statu...90911174905857

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    This fucking terrifies me.

Was able to board a flight and apparently died because even taking off on the 1-2 hour flight.
    Died on a fucking airplane.

Jesus christ, I know it was for completely different reasons but like...I'm slowly warming up to John Madden's fear of airplanes.
    Yep, she would have had to have been showing symptoms to die that quickly.

Fuck I hate seeing those numbers going back up like this. On a purely petty, personal level, I'm just pissed a bunch of stupid, selfish assholes are dragging this out for the fucking rest of us. Would be real nice to have some actual leadership on the issue.
    Would be nice to have some kind of method to hold them accountable for it. All we can do now is wag our fingers at them while they thumb their nose and act like shitheads, pretending like this isn't a big deal. It's infuriating.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure what is worse the assholes who don't want to wear a mask or socially distance or the school systems, hospitals, and retail stores that cave to angry people screaming about their freedoms. Hell there's rumors that schools opening here in Illinois are having their teachers and staff members sign NDAs if an outbreak occurs in the school. Yes a bunch of angry parents confronted a school board and supposedly the staff is to say nothing to any media local or national should an outbreak occur in the district.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Unfortunately, the highest leadership position in your entire country is the one that encourages those same stupid, selfish assholes.
    There has never been a better time to discuss the idea of pre-requisites for President - some kind of elected office prior to running.

57,327 new cases; over 11k more than last Monday. As near as I can tell the Wisconsin numbers missing from the past couple days were distributed over all three (Saturday/Sunday/Monday) so they do not account for the huge jump today.
    Have you seen this site ? Its a visual representation similar to what you are doing, and it is frankly scary. It also tracks ICU/hospital bed usage per state and things are looking very bad. For example Georgie is at 80% ICU occupancy and 90% bed occupancy already and things are still ramping up.

Well considering today is Monday it's impossible for 70k to be the low for the week.

However I agree that we could reach 75k. The day with the highest totals for the week is usually Friday and last week we passed 71k. A 9k jump on Friday to pass 80k is not out of the realm of possibility.
    Yeah, I meant 70k is optimistic as the high. Might be low compared to what we actually hit, not the actual low.

10+ Year Old Account
    [MENTION=642233] I’m thinking 70k might be low for this week, I think we might see at least one day in the 75-80k =\
    The last week had a daily average of 59,000 and change, which is up 34% from two weeks ago.

If that rate of increase continues, it'll be over 68,000 by Sunday. That's the average, not the high.

The only good news is deaths aren't up...yet. We've gone from "deaths have been slightly decreasing" to "deaths are not decreasing". This is a critical point.

Slight correction; the articles says she DID have an underlying health condition. However most of America does, to be honest (i.e. obesity), so I've always found that to be a stupid addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Have you seen this site ? Its a visual representation similar to what you are doing, and it is frankly scary. It also tracks ICU/hospital bed usage per state and things are looking very bad. For example Georgie is at 80% ICU occupancy and 90% bed occupancy already and things are still ramping up.
    I've seen it and have used it a couple times when I couldn't find an answer elsewhere for things like positivity, but I generally just like seeing the raw data itself and thinking up my own visualizations. It's a good resource for everyone, though--if scary.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I meant 70k is optimistic as the high. Might be low compared to what we actually hit, not the actual low.
    I try to err on the side of optimism always. Because we have more than enough to be pessimistic about this year.

Pretty bang on assessment of the GOP under Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyStriker View Post

Bring back the classics.

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post

Pretty bang on assessment of the GOP under Trump.
    This is going to get very, very bad if/when Trump loses the election. QAnon conspiracy nutters are absolutely fucking insane and now we have Fox news and Republicans promoting it with no evidence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyStriker View Post

If the goal is funny, this is a video about wearing a mask:

Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

The Lightbringer GreenGoldSharpie's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Not sure what is worse the assholes who don't want to wear a mask or socially distance or the school systems, hospitals, and retail stores that cave to angry people screaming about their freedoms. Hell there's rumors that schools opening here in Illinois are having their teachers and staff members sign NDAs if an outbreak occurs in the school. Yes a bunch of angry parents confronted a school board and supposedly the staff is to say nothing to any media local or national should an outbreak occur in the district.
    One of the things I'm happiest about is that I got out of the profession before this all began.

Social media blackouts aren't a new thing for educators, though. Social behavior clauses are downright puritanical still. It still is an issue if you post a picture of yourself on social media with a drink in your hands or get caught in the supermarket with a few bottles of wine in your cart by a nosy parent. Hell, most teachers live out of the district for this and privacy reasons.

Also, I know several friends who are using fake Facebook accounts to counter what idiots parents are saying on school and town pages where a lot of this happens. Believe me, teachers get around the blocks at every turn.

Want a real eye opener on how schools are doing with this? Read r/teachers. Shit is scary, yo.