Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Something tells me Trump's lawsuits are about to get more stupid...
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/11...ection-results
    Man, the last 20 years have not been kind to "America's Mayor".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Man, the last 20 years have not been kind to "America's Mayor".

Is there really no kind of penalty or consequence to frivolous lawsuits?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    There have been instances where the lawyers involved get referred to their state bar association and end up getting disbarred.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of his lawyers have walked away, before being hit with ridicule or loss of business.

For private citizens, you can countersue to have your legal fees covered and probably get some money for having your time wasted if it's completely baseless nonsense. I don't think the government can countersue like that, and I don't think a state government can sue a sitting president in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Grant was an incompetent and his cabinet was corrupt as fuck. Harding's cabinet was also corrupt as fuck. Hoover was useless and, as far as I can tell, gave up on the american people after the crash, a seeming first for a sitting american president (which gave us FDR). Truman dropped the bomb. Eisenhower pushed for and expanded a shit load of social programs while decrying corporatism. Nixon for the EPA and gross abuses of power. Reagan for dismantling the middle class and taking the credit for the soviet union finishing itself off. Bush for being an incompetent idiot and being run by his corrupt VP. Trump being incompetent, corrupt, and gross abuses of power (as well as being the 2nd sitting president to give up on the american people). They'll be relevant for a while, even to people not born yet.
    I agree with those, but a non-student of history doesn't know that stuff. They might remember Grant as the Civil War General, but nothing about his presidency. Hoover and Harding aren't really remembered for anything specific they did other than that the 20s were "roaring". People remember FDR but not why he was elected. Nixon is (in)famous for Watergate but not that he was really popular before that. Reagan's popularity is based on myths from people that were alive when he was president. The rest are recent enough there's enough people to make believe the good and not the bad about them.

...*sigh*

183,527 new cases; nearly 51k more than last Friday. Yet another in a string of new national records...for fuck's sake.

Illinois: 15,415 new cases (new record); 45 deaths
    Texas: 12,461 new cases; 216 deaths
    California: 10,067 new cases; 79 deaths
    Michigan: 9,179 new cases (new record); 123 deaths
    Ohio: 8,057 new cases (new record); 42 deaths
    Wisconsin: 7,777 new cases (new record); 58 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Colorado: 6,439 new cases (new record); 36 deaths
    Kansas: 6,047 new cases (new record); 41 deaths
    Missouri: 5,852 new cases; 21 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 5,834 new cases; 35 deaths
    Indiana: 5,600 new cases; 50 deaths
    Minnesota: 5,544 new cases; 46 deaths
    New York: 5,469 new cases; 29 deaths
    Iowa: 5,451 new cases (new record); 18 deaths
    Tennessee: 3,733 new cases; 64 deaths
    Louisiana: 3,492 new cases; 24 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,254 new cases; 25 deaths
    Kentucky: 3,164 new cases (new record); 25 deaths (new record)
    Arizona: 3,015 new cases; 17 deaths

Other states with new case or death records: Alabama, Oklahoma*, Arkansas, Maryland, Nevada, Montana, Wyoming, Delaware, New Hampshire and Maine.

Nebraska once again failed to report on time but given their numbers for the past week I'm going to guess they're close to 3k today.

So we're heading into the weekend which means numbers should be heading back down temporarily for a few days, but that's small relief when they'll still be WAY the fuck over 100k regardless. Part of this could be the start of the expected Election Day spike. At this rate we WILL be hitting 200k by the end of next week which is fucking horrifying. Hospitals are already strained in several areas and are filling up fast in most of the US. Illinois, from what I can see, now has the record for most new cases reported in a day eclipsing Fuck Florida's 15k back in the summer. Texas now has multiple 12k days on record this week. California has topped 10k again. Michigan is on the cusp. Louisiana actually reported around 10k cases today but about 7k were a correction. Next week we could see 5 states with 10k+ totals. But it's okay, because it's just one guy coming in from China and it'll all blow away by April...FUCK Trump and FUCK you if you voted for him TWICE.

The US has passed 11 million confirmed cases now. At this rate it will pass 12 million cases next week.

1,395 deaths is about 150 more than last Friday and makes the total 249,975, just shy of 250k. Texas passed into 200+ territory and Michigan posted triple digits for the first time since May. I would say that we could be happy that deaths aren't increasing as quickly as many supposed, but look at hospital capacity across the country. A lack of space to treat the worst off is going to cost WAY more lives at this stage. The healthcare system won't be able to handle them all. Arizona had to deal with "death panels" back in the Summer. Many more states are already preparing to do the same now. I do not envy those healthcare workers even if they do get dibs on the first vaccines.

Related news:

Health care workers are 'tapped out' amid coronavirus fall surge, Wisconsin doctor says--Wisconsin's been fighting this latest outbreak for months now and still show no signs of improvement.

COVID-19 infections are soaring. Lockdowns could be coming. A list of restrictions in your state.--Frankly I find this WAY too fucking late, but it's something.

'Take it seriously': Man, 52, recovers from double lung transplant following COVID-19--This isn't even the first "double lung transplant due to COVID" story I've read this week.

Stay safe, folks.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-11-14 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    ...*sigh*

183,527 new cases; nearly 51k more than last Friday. Yet another in a string of new national records...for fuck's sake.

Illinois: 15,415 new cases (new record); 45 deaths
    So Illinois has been following pretty much 1% deaths per case until now, so don't be surprised when it's reporting 150 deaths a day for the next few weeks.

I've given up on any hope in Illinois. I talk to too many people that think it's not serious and they won't follow the governor's orders. The only hope at this point is that so many get infected it doesn't have anywhere to go.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2020-11-14 at 02:48 AM.

There have been instances where the lawyers involved get referred to their state bar association and end up getting disbarred.
    In fact, some judges while asking questions during some of these cases, have been telling these lawyers of the consequences of their answers if they try to keep up with their line of bullshit they've been pushing in the actual courtrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I agree with those, but a non-student of history doesn't know that stuff. They might remember Grant as the Civil War General, but nothing about his presidency. Hoover and Harding aren't really remembered for anything specific they did other than that the 20s were "roaring". People remember FDR but not why he was elected. Nixon is (in)famous for Watergate but not that he was really popular before that. Reagan's popularity is based on myths from people that were alive when he was president. The rest are recent enough there's enough people to make believe the good and not the bad about them.
    I didn't study history in college. That's almost solely from middle school and high school, but mostly 7th grade (barring bush 2 & trump).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    ...*sigh*

The seven-day average is now over 1,000 deaths per day.

It will take very little for upcoming deaths to top the nasty spike we saw in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    I didn't study history in college. That's almost solely from middle school and high school, but mostly 7th grade (barring bush 2 & trump).
    But I think the difference is that you want to understand this stuff. I've been involved in several different levels of education: my undergrad was top 20 in the country, my grad was top 200, my real life is nowhere near those levels. It's a striking difference how those levels of education think.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Am I the only one holding their breath as they check @Benggaul corona posts? I am constantly hoping the states my family are scattered across don’t make the post. At the same time I’m constantly telling assholes to stop going out so much. I don’t care if you have a mask on, right now we need to limit exposure of all types.
    I wish I could say you could breathe a sigh of relief when you don't see your state mentioned, but the reason it may not be listed is because there are too many for me to type out every day. I had to cut down to the top 20 instead of every state over 1k because now it's nearly all of them. I mean, given the current cutoff I guess you could be relieved it's not at 3k+...yet?

It's bad everywhere. The states at the top of the list are generally where it's been bad for the longest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    So Illinois has been following pretty much 1% deaths per case until now, so don't be surprised when it's reporting 150 deaths a day for the next few weeks.

I've given up on any hope in Illinois. I talk to too many people that think it's not serious and they won't follow the governor's orders. The only hope at this point is that so many get infected it doesn't have anywhere to go.
    The problem with this is the risk of the virus mutating into a different strain that reinfect a people. The more people spread this, the more chances it has to mutate.
    @Benggaul looks like we might be on track then for around ~240k next Friday, and probably ~300k the following Friday, but given the holidays, not sure how reporting will pan out.

I wasn’t expecting >180k today... wear your damn masks people

And yet Ghouliani and Trumps other criminal thug lawyers do what they do best. That's not very reliable or reassuring consequence, especially when it doesn't even hurt the mob boss himself.

10+ Year Old Account
    And yet Ghouliani and Trumps other criminal thug lawyers do what they do best. That's not very reliable or reassuring consequence, especially when it doesn't even hurt the mob boss himself.
    So far, nobody has been disbarred in this situation, because nobody has said anything flat-out false. That's why they keep losing cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the actual lawyers in question are balking from Trump because they know these scurrilous lawsuits are going to be dismissed almost immediately which makes them look bad, they're probably very wary of whether Trump will actually be able to pay them, and Trump is likely ordering them to lie... rather barefacedly... right in front of a judge, which can have repercussions for the lawyer and the law firm.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

The seven-day average is now over 1,000 deaths per day.

It will take very little for upcoming deaths to top the nasty spike we saw in August.
    The highest day recorded in August was 1,853 but it looks like a correction. The highest 7-day average around that time is a little under 1,200.

So far, nobody has been disbarred in this situation, because nobody has said anything flat-out false. That's why they keep losing cases.
    Losing cases and having them tossed. When case gets tossed for being obvious load of bullshit, it SHOULD have consequences on those who wasted other peoples time with it, knowing it was bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Most of the actual lawyers in question are balking from Trump because they know these scurrilous lawsuits are going to be dismissed almost immediately which makes them look bad, they're probably very wary of whether Trump will actually be able to pay them, and Trump is likely ordering them to lie... rather barefacedly... right in front of a judge, which can have repercussions for the lawyer and the law firm.
    That's one of the problems, isn't it? Why are those almost immediately dismissed cases treated as "no harm done, it's cool", rather than have some consequence attached to wasting peoples time with what both sides know is, and was complete bullshit to begin with?
    Last edited by Azadina; 2020-11-14 at 03:33 AM.