Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Cool, so a new Danish study came out proving that wearing masks helps prevent the spread of COVID-19 to others but doesn't protect the wearer so much--which has ALWAYS been the case and the reason given for wearing masks since the start of the pandemic--and of course the QAnon/Trump supporter/conspiracy theory crowd has picked it up and run with their "SEE? MASKS DON'T WORK!" narrative.
    The study only found that masks don't protect the wearer (or maybe just a little bit) in the general population.
    The study didn't find that masks protect others - since it wasn't part of the study.

The obvious conclusion by sane people would be to figure out what works instead, like physical distancing and actually do that.

The US is fucked.
    Still true.
    Last edited by Forogil; 2020-11-18 at 10:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I knew today's covid numbers were going to be depressing when I saw that we'd already passed 1000 deaths before noon on the west coast.

We still have hours left today, a handful of states still left to report, and we're now at 1800 deaths....

This is truly a Trump SHITSHOW.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

So I think all sources now are reporting we're over 250k deaths. we're not even quite yet in full on flu season so testing is gonna be overwhelmed and we're already under testing as is. Can blame 2020 for being a shitty year, but I put full blame on Trump Virus and the shitshow administration of the last 4 years.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Supreme Court appears to be tacitly telling Trump to fuck off.
    For the past month, they have been sitting on a petition from Trump's lawyers that seeks to block the New York subpoena for his tax and financial documents. For two weeks, they have left unanswered his lawyers' request to intervene in Pennsylvania Republicans' effort to disallow absentee ballots received for three days after Election Day.
    The long and short of it is that since Trump won't be Resident any more, most of the arguments that are sitting with or heading towards the Supreme Court will become moot - because he will either no longer have the Executive Authority to defend his Executive Agreements or will no longer enjoy the legal protections afforded sitting Residents.

- - - Updated - - -

Cool, so a new Danish study came out proving that wearing masks helps prevent the spread of COVID-19 to others but doesn't protect the wearer so much--which has ALWAYS been the case and the reason given for wearing masks since the start of the pandemic--and of course the QAnon/Trump supporter/conspiracy theory crowd has picked it up and run with their "SEE? MASKS DON'T WORK!" narrative.

The US is fucked.
    I think we are in more ways than one. Trump's tenure has opened up dams that may not be closeable. Heather Cox Richardson's latest posting was talking about Trump, saying "he continues to try to remain relevant by creating chaos" - and I can't think of a better [kind] description of Trump's Residency.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    since Trump won't be Resident any more,
    He's going to quick kill some people as he walks out the door.

Three federal executions to be more precise.

This will bring Trump's total to ten in six months. To put this in perspective, in the previous fifty years, there were...three.

As in, one, two, three, that many.

And while we should stay away from forbidden topics, Trump is planning to execute the only woman on death row.

- - - Updated - - -

Six DC lawmakers have tested positive in the last six days.

Reps. Dan Newhouse (R-Wash)

Doug Lamborn (R-Colo)

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa)

Rep. Cheri Bustos (D-Ill)

Rep. Ed Perlmutter (D-Colo)

Rep. Tim Walberg (R-Mich)

Rep. Don Young (R-Alaska)

If this was brought up at any time during the lifespan of this thread I didn't see it so I apologize in advance if it's already been discussed here ad nauseum:

The dictionary has "trumpery" as an actual word. I don't think the French who coined the term from which it came--tromperie--ever could have guessed just how relevant and accurate it would become.

noun, plural trump·er·ies.
    something without use or value; rubbish; trash; worthless stuff.
    nonsense; twaddle:
    His usual conversation is pure trumpery.
    Archaic. worthless finery.
    adjective
    of little or no value; trifling, worthless; rubbishy; trashy.

The US is fucked.
    Afaik, other studies do prove that mask wearing protect the wearers a little bit, and also lowers the initial viral load (so it lowers the severity of the disease if you get it). But yea, wear a mask.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

The US is fucked.
    Oh, and here is the best part. The medical expert they brought in about the study had this to say in relation to mask rules: We will continue using masks like we currently do.

To hammer this home. We currently use masks like this: Mandatory in public transport, and highly recommended when going outside to do absolutely anything. Going into any shop will see most people wearing either a mask or a screen. So yeah... They really shouldn't go "masks bad" from this study when we in Denmark see these results and go: Yeah, we will keep the masks.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I'm having a problem with detecting sarcasm from American patriots:

https://twitter.com/dwancba/status/1328852484098576385

Is this for real, or is it an attempt at elaborate trolling?
    "moving to Mexico" And you aren't sure?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odinfrost View Post
    We currently use masks like thi
    Who is "we"?

On direct topic: White House warns of 'aggressive, unrelenting' COVID spread across the country

Hey remember when Trump--

"We get it!"

In response to about 50 U.S. states and territories witnessing record-breaking new COVID-19 cases, the White House Coronavirus Task Force issued candid remarks about the state of the nation, describing the “now aggressive, unrelenting, expanding broad community spread across the country, reaching most counties, without evidence of improvement but rather, further deterioration.”

The report was obtained by NBC News, and added that current mitigation procedures to halt the spread of the virus “are inadequate and must be increased to flatten the curve" and that the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday has the potential to "amplify transmission considerably.”

In addition to new cases, hospitalization and deaths are rising as well, with current fourteen-day percent changes increasing by 48 percent and 38 percent respectively.
    It's way too late to admit there's a problem when "deaths reaching 2,000 a day" is on the way.

Darren Beattie lmao just putting open rascists in now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Who is "we"?

On direct topic: White House warns of 'aggressive, unrelenting' COVID spread across the country

Hey remember when Trump--

"We get it!"

It's way too late to admit there's a problem when "deaths reaching 2,000 a day" is on the way.
    Don't worry though, the essential workers will be out there!

I don't mean doctors. I mean Carl the barista and Val the bookseller.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    I'm having a problem with detecting sarcasm from American patriots:

https://twitter.com/dwancba/status/1328852484098576385

Is this for real, or is it an attempt at elaborate trolling?
    These are bots. There are hundreds of posts saying the same thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kansas orders mask mandate.

I just want to throw it out there, the Republican Party chose to foster the "muh freedumbs!" for the anti-maskers. Now their states are being hit the hardest.

Congrats on slamming that barn door shut now that the horse is out, Kansas. Your constituents who survive will be sure to thank you while waiting in line at the food bank.

- - - Updated - - -

Minnesota announces new restrictions. Uses term "pause" not "lockdown" because, well, he's probably afraid of death threats.

173,632 new cases, about 29k more than last Wednesday. It looks like the increase in new cases might be slowing down slightly...maybe. I'll talk more about that later. Nebraska has, once again, failed to report on time.

Top 20:

Texas: 13,379 new cases (new record); 205 deaths
    California: 11,835 new cases; 112 deaths
    Illinois: 8,922 new cases; 151 deaths
    Wisconsin: 7,989 new cases (new record); 52 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Pennsylvania: 6,486 new cases (new record); 110 deaths
    Ohio: 6,385 new cases; 55 deaths
    Michigan: 6,218 new cases; 62 deaths
    Indiana: 6,015 new cases; 59 deaths
    Kansas: 5,624 new cases; 60 deaths
    Missouri: 5,488 new cases; 43 deaths
    New York: 5,364 new cases; 47 deaths
    Minnesota: 5,094 new cases; 67 deaths (new record)
    Colorado: 4,650 new cases; 43 deaths
    Tennessee: 4,472 new cases; 53 deaths
    Iowa: 4,173 new cases; 39 deaths (new record)
    New Jersey: 3,694 new cases; 36 deaths
    North Carolina: 3,367 new cases; 46 deaths
    Arizona: 3,206 new cases; 53 deaths
    Georgia: 3,161 new cases; 57 deaths

Other states with new case/death records: Oklahoma, New Mexico and Rhode Island.

So, it's been a while since Texas had a new case record and today barely squeaked over, but I've been noticing something odd and after a little digging am considering adding Texas to the "Fuck <state>" zone. Here's the thing. Numbers in Texas weren't making much sense to me given what I'd been seeing on their trends, positivity, etc.. I started paying closer attention and one thing that stands out immediately is that Midland county has not reported numbers since just after the election. Now I won't claim to know how dense the population is in Midland but given their prior numbers I have to doubt sincerely that they haven't racked up quite the total of cases in the past two weeks. Cases that aren't being added to the Texas tally. From a county where at least one hospital is full and has been expanded into tents. Yeah...I don't trust this and I don't trust Abbot. Hang in there, @Crissi.

As for the rest of the nation, 41 states had over 1k new cases and despite the fact that the delta between today and last Wednesday is a bit lower than the week before it still doesn't look all that rosy. Looking at the positivity rates for each state only three of them appear to be flat or decreasing. And only one state--Vermont--appears to have an ICU occupancy of less than 50%. 13 are above 80% occupancy. North Dakota is around 90%. That's...fucking scary. And we might already be seeing the effects of this.

I'm expecting around 1,500-1,600 days, but if we see 1,700-1,800 I would not be entirely surprised given the explosive growth of the outbreak and the numbers we've seen the past couple weeks.
    1,956 deaths is 500 more than last Wednesday. Right now I'm leaning towards that being a correction. We'll know more tomorrow; I expect it to be lower. The national total is 256,254. 4 states had triple digits. 35 other states had double digits. I can't state this enough: this will get worse. How much worse depends on how many more new cases flood the hospitals and strain the already struggling resources. Wear your fucking masks.

Related news:

One in six Texans infected with COVID-19, study estimates--I came across this while I was doing some digging into what the fuck is up with Texas. The bottom line is that the real number of cases in Texas is probably over 4 million.

Number of COVID-19 'long haulers,' survivors with lasting virus symptoms, is growing--Another reminder that even if you recover, you might never fully recover.

COVID-19 infections are soaring. Lockdowns could be coming. A list of restrictions in your state.--Funny how open more governors appear to be to lockdowns now that elections are over. NYC is also closing public schools.

Stay safe, folks.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2020-11-19 at 02:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    CNN reports that--

1,956 deaths
    ..hey remember when two days ago I asked "2,000 a day by the end of the month?"

Sigh.

CNN reports that 1,314 military members got COVID today -- that's a new record.

There are currently about 25,000 active Covid-19 cases in the ranks, and another 44,390 service members have recovered from the virus, according to the Pentagon. The number of military cases has grown over the last few weeks as case counts have increased in the general population.

A US defense official told CNN that the US military has a positivity rate of 6.8%. That compares to about 10% among civilians taking coronavirus tests. The military has claimed since the beginning of the pandemic that it can maintain a lower positivity rate because the military has a younger, healthier population. It also can also more easily mandate restrictions than civilian authorities.

Number of COVID-19 'long haulers,' survivors with lasting virus symptoms, is growing--Another reminder that even if you recover, you might never fully recover.
    I'm curious about the long hauler cognitive decline of people who were already suffer from cognitive decline long before getting covid, like trump. Is it additive?

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    I'm curious about the long hauler cognitive decline of people who were already suffer from cognitive decline long before getting covid, like trump. Is it additive?
    I'm no doctor. But this guy is:

The hidden long-term cognitive effects of COVID-19

There is one inevitable conclusion from these studies: COVID infection frequently leads to brain damage — particularly in those over 70. While sometimes the brain damage is obvious and leads to major cognitive impairment, more frequently the damage is mild, leading to difficulties with sustained attention.
    In other words...how could we know?

10+ Year Old Account
    And only one state--Vermont--appears to have an ICU occupancy of less than 50%. 13 are above 80% occupancy. North Dakota is around 90%. That's...fucking scary.
    I feel like I should point out that ICU's standardly operate at about 70-80% occupancy. At least they did pre-COVID. That being said, I think most hospitals have tried to find a way to increase their ICU bed total, and they're also still seeing a decrease in non-COVID cases as people are understandably worried about going to/staying in a hospital during a pandemic.

I'm not sure what a "normal" ICU occupancy is these days, but it's probably somewhere in the 30-60% range, so factor that into your assessment of hospitalization rates.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Pls send halp. My county is at 92% ICU bed occupancy, 17% covid occupancy, and our county judge is literally using polite language to say "Abbot is not letting us save lives cause he's a fuckface". We're on our way to being the new El Paso.