10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerron View Post
    Hopefully a very small percentage and hopefully they're as dumb as the other idiots before them.
    As someone who shoots regularly owns several fire arms and has done so for 30+ Years I assure you that is is a very very very small percentage willing to back up their bullshit talk.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

172,839 new cases; around 12.5k more than last Saturday. It remains encouraging that the delta is overall lower this week, but I won't be breaking out the figurative champagne just yet.

Top 20:

California: 13,278 new cases; 33 deaths
    Illinois: 11,891 new cases; 157 deaths
    Texas: 10,888 new cases; 133 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Ohio: 7,863 new cases; 29 deaths
    Michigan: 7,840 new cases; 101 deaths
    Indiana: 6,872 new cases; 40 deaths
    Minnesota: 6,252 new cases; 51 deaths
    Wisconsin: 6,224 new cases; 51 deaths
    Georgia: 6,209 new cases (new record); 37 deaths
    Colorado: 6,113 new cases; 42 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 5,874 new cases; 113 deaths
    New York: 5,566 new cases; 27 deaths
    Missouri: 4,470 new cases; 43 deaths
    Tennessee: 4,355 new cases; 9 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,788 new cases; 32 deaths
    Kentucky: 3,702 new cases; 21 deaths
    Iowa: 3,700 new cases; 25 deaths
    Oklahoma: 3,663 new cases; 21 deaths
    Arizona: 3,638 new cases; 30 deaths

Other states with new case/death records: Massachusetts, Mississippi and Oregon.

Something something Nebraska.

As previously mentioned, we're seeing a slower change in increases week to week--but it's still increasing. I think part of that may be due to a few of the higher case count states (Texas, Illinois, Wisconsin) more or less leveling out this week. We're still going to be seeing new records from several states next week, but hopefully not as frequently and not as huge given the lower population of the states. This also presupposes things don't kick off again in New York, Seattle or Flo-...no, fuck Florida.

Given that Dr. Fauci and most other experts are still saying things are going tits up I'm not going to play up any false optimism here, but maybe we're not barreling towards a fiery cataclysm quite as quickly as we were last week. Let's see what the new week brings.

1,460 deaths is about 200 more than last Saturday, bringing the total to 261,790. So, you know, it's not all good news. Once again there were 4 states with triple-digit death totals. Given that we all know deaths lag behind cases the upcoming two weeks aren't likely to be sunshine and lollipops. The next two days will bring us back under 1k most likely, so there's that.

Related news:

Less pomp and circumstance? Biden inauguration likely to be scaled-down affair in response to COVID--This is absolutely the best and most responsible thing to do--so expect it to be ridiculed by the resident fucktard Trump supporters.

Governor Andrew Cuomo Will Receive an Emmy For His Daily COVID-19 Briefings--Personally I find this a bit gross, but hey, it's going to fucking infuriate Trump so that'll be good for a laugh.

G-20 leaders stress importance of united response to coronavirus pandemic--Hey, guess who decided to go golfing instead? Yeah, fuck that guy.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    1,460 deaths
    This is out seven-day average, just so everyone's clear. There's no math lesson coming -- just the weight of 10,000 people dying in a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This is out seven-day average, just so everyone's clear. There's no math lesson coming -- just the weight of 10,000 people dying in a week.
    And a million more cases the past week. If only 1% of those die that's another 10k deaths. I think the death rate is still above 1%.

It's about to get stupid here in my area of Florida.

With restrictions in place in the areas where our tourists come from it's already packed for Thanksgiving weekend as people flee places that aren't actively trying to kill it's citizens.

Is it okay to feel disgusted by this harrowing situation?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    It'd reflect poorly if you didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Between this and the election I have not enjoyed a meal in a month.
    I've eaten. I've just not been in a state of mind conducive to savoring the good.
    I'm REAL fun at parties!

10+ Year Old Account
    Between this and the election I have not enjoyed a meal in a month.
    I've eaten. I've just not been in a state of mind conducive to savoring the good.
    I'm REAL fun at parties!
    Lately I haven't been able to get enough rest. I've been sleeping fairly well but I just can't seem to rest. I've never had seasonal depression so the only thing I can think of is this shit show causing it. Everyday thinking about how just speaking to a person can kill them and how half the people around me think it's some kind of hoax is just wearing me down. And now with the elections being treated as a hoax by the same people it's almost too much.

And now I've got to figure out if I want to see my family for the holidays, who several of them think all this is a hoax, or not. Because of this shit virus I wasn't able to see my mother before she passed last month (not from the virus thankfully). And now they're all wanting to see me before anything else happens. A fucked up situation no matter what I choose.

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Lately I haven't been able to get enough rest. I've been sleeping fairly well but I just can't seem to rest. I've never had seasonal depression so the only thing I can think of is this shit show causing it. Everyday thinking about how just speaking to a person can kill them and how half the people around me think it's some kind of hoax is just wearing me down. And now with the elections being treated as a hoax by the same people it's almost too much.

And now I've got to figure out if I want to see my family for the holidays, who several of them think all this is a hoax, or not. Because of this shit virus I wasn't able to see my mother before she passed last month (not from the virus thankfully). And now they're all wanting to see me before anything else happens. A fucked up situation no matter what I choose.
    As someone who has had to deal with seasonal depression, it's kinda similar. I'm fortunate in that I have developed tricks over the years to get me through it--which is mainly just distracting myself with various forms of entertainment (hooray for Shadowlands coming out in a day or so)--but that doesn't work for everyone, of course. And this is a different situation with things that are more "tangible", so yeah, it's rough.

Just try to find something/someone you can cling to in the storm and let it/them carry you to safety and in the meantime get that "this too shall pass" mantra going in your head.

10+ Year Old Account
    FDA grants Regeneron emergency use clearance. Yes, that's the stuff they gave Trump.

According to a statement by the company, the US government has signed a contract to provide it free to...um...(flips through notes) 70,000 Americans who get to it first. It's a good thing it's free, because apparently it costs about $6,500.

Or, Trump could choose not to pay the contract he signed, and then you'd have to come up with the money yourself.

Or, you know, you could wear a mask.

Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    It's about to get stupid here in my area of Florida.

With restrictions in place in the areas where our tourists come from it's already packed for Thanksgiving weekend as people flee places that aren't actively trying to kill it's citizens.
    nah don't worry they will "adjust" the figures to make you feel better!!!
    Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    I hear you. Some of my family lives with me and they are going so it's like, I might as well go because if you go and bring it back here I'm prolly fucked either way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump finalizes decision to leave Open Skies Treaty with Russia.

"What's wrong with that?"

Well, this is more of a @Skroe topic to discuss. They gave six month's notice six months ago, so this isn't so much "flipping the table on the way out" as it is "Trump breaks treaties".

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Trump finalizes decision to leave Open Skies Treaty with Russia.

"What's wrong with that?"

Well, this is more of a @Skroe topic to discuss. They gave six month's notice six months ago, so this isn't so much "flipping the table on the way out" as it is "Trump breaks treaties".
    Well, that one is one that any President would have probably left. And it is probably a good thing for everyone involved. Russia hasn't been abiding by the treaty in decades, and there was no enforcement mechanisms.

So my son told me last night that he was sorry about the germs.

He was under the impression that he was personally responsible for the Coronavirus ravaging humanity, because he high fived a stranger at the gas station back in March.

I quickly corrected him and helped him understand that it wasn't his fault, that he has done everything right to stop the spread of disease, and that some super smart scientists and doctors are working on a vaccine that will make it much safer to be around people, like before the germs came.

I just thought it was interesting and relevant to the thread that my 5 year old took more responsibility and showed more remorse for his role in spreading the Coronavirus than Donald Trump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Woods View Post
    LOL never change guys. I guess you won't because conservatism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I do care what people on this forum think of me.
    This site is amazing. It's comments like this, that make this site amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerron View Post
    Hopefully a very small percentage and hopefully they're as dumb as the other idiots before them.
    All it takes is one. To break your spirit as a medical professional, one will tip you over just as well as 100. I've heard collegues of mine saying 'I can't take these shitheads any more!' The people denying it, the people doubting your qualification as medical professionals. Head of medicine gave him a week off. Luckily we still ahve the capacity to switch out our doctors. Don't want to fathom what US medical personnel is going through right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yet another perfect Trump moment.

National Guard deployed to El Paso to help with COVID-19.

"Ah, to distribute that vaccine!"

No...they're manning an emergency morgue.

- - - Updated - - -

Pompeo meets with Taliban delegation in Qatar after mortar barrage kills at least 8 in Kabul

I don't know which is more humiliating to America:
    1) That Trump negotiated directly with Taliban terrorists, or
    2) That he failed.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet another high-ranking military leader has spoken out against Trump's plan to cede Afghanistan to his friends, the Taliban terrorists.

"Oh what commie librul--"

McMaster.

"..sounds familiar. An Obama appointee?"

Trump's former NSA.

If the Taliban establishes control of large parts of Afghanistan, gives safe haven and support base to terrorist organizations who want to commit mass murder against us on the scale of 9/11, we will be far less safe and vulnerable to these groups. And I think what happened is the prioritization of withdrawal over our interests led to us actually empowering the Taliban.

136,627 new cases; around 10k fewer than last Sunday. Don't get too excited. Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska and a whole slew of Texas counties have not reported yet. Once they do and the total is updated sometime tonight/tomorrow it will likely be more than last Sunday again--though not by very much.

Top 20:

Illinois: 10,012 new cases; 99 deaths
    California: 8,695 new cases; 17 deaths
    Ohio: 8,133 new cases; 12 deaths
    Minnesota: 7,205 new cases; 40 deaths
    Texas: 6,611 new cases; 77 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Pennsylvania: 6,541 new cases; 38 deaths
    Indiana: 6,174 new cases; 59 deaths
    New York: 5,227 new cases; 20 deaths
    Tennessee: 4,589 new cases; 55 deaths
    North Carolina: 4,514 new cases (new record); 29 deaths
    Arizona: 4,331 new cases; 7 deaths
    Colorado: 3,921 new cases; 19 deaths
    Wisconsin: 3,507 new cases; no deaths reported (press "F" to doubt)
    Louisiana: 3,483 new cases; 27 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,474 new cases; 17 deaths
    Oklahoma: 3,406 new cases; 10 deaths
    Utah: 3,197 new cases; 6 deaths
    Iowa: 2,862 new cases; 32 deaths
    Massachusetts: 2,695 new cases; 24 deaths

Other states with new case/death records: New Mexico and Oregon.

Sundays have really become a pain in the ass to report due to a lack of solid information. More and more states are reporting infrequently in the weekends and on Sunday in particular whereas before they would report every day without fail (Michigan, Nebraska and Missouri in particular). If this keeps up I might just do a very streamlined version on Sundays from here out. It'll mean I get to go to bed earlier to prepare for braving the COVID-riddled world on Mondays on my way to work. I'll check the total tomorrow and update it here if the final numbers ever come in.

As it stands I think it's become very clear this week that the number of new cases has at least slowed. I do not, however, think we're quite at the peak yet. Practically the entire country is still listed in the "uncontrolled spread" category and only a handful of states show flat or decreasing positivity rates. South Dakota continues being one of the worst in that category but they've been eclipsed by Wyoming at present (around 50%). At least 15 states have over 80% ICU occupancy with a few over 90%. This is including their expanded hospital use and makeshift areas. This is the 20th day straight (I think?) of 100k+ cases. The month of November alone has accounted for nearly a quarter of all US cases. It's not over yet.

866 deaths is over 200 more than last Sunday, bringing the total to 262,696. Pretty sure it's safe to say at this point that the 2k-ish numbers we saw were not a fluke as I had hoped. At the current trend we'll likely be hitting 2k+ a few times this week. A few weeks ago we were losing 5k a week. Now we're up to 10k. Depending on how bad this week gets we could be seeing 15k.

Related news:

Covid Upends a Rural Hospital, Where Staff Know All the Patients--This is a tough read. This virus is ravaging the Native American population. Is it in poor taste to say that the white men who are--largely--responsible for it being so bad in the US didn't even have the courtesy to bring blankets this time?

1 million Americans traveled by plane in 1 day, despite CDC COVID-19 guidelines--*rubs temples* Why. Are. We. So. Fucking. Stupid.

G-20 leaders pledge access to COVID-19 vaccine worldwide--Trump heaved his bulk off the golf course just long enough to embarrass the US on the global stage once again, taking the opportunity to talk about US natural gas and oil production during G20 talks about safeguarding the environment. I see no mention of his pledge to help the rest of the world with vaccines--but I admit I'm not looking very hard either.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    \
    866 deaths
    That would have been a high-reporting day just a couple weeks ago.