Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya how the vote turns out here will be really telling. I'm sure a lot of them are looking long term and don't want to be seen as Nazi supporters.

Edit: Is this vote now the one for Impeachment from the House? Still learning a lot of this.
    They're currently voting on rules for debate, then they'll debate, then they'll vote in the House. After that the House sends the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate where the Senate will have a trial.

I guess the Whitehouse is putting a ton of pressure on congressional Republicans and a lot of them are afraid of violence directed at them.... Don't you think it's gone too far and you have a duty to impeach if you're worried about your safety?

Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    They're currently voting on rules for debate, then they'll debate, then they'll vote in the House. After that the House sends the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate where the Senate will have a trial.

I guess the Whitehouse is putting a ton of pressure on congressional Republicans and a lot of them are afraid of violence directed at them.... Don't you think it's gone too far and you have a duty to impeach if you're worried about your safety?
    Thanks for the info, So the actual impeachment vote is later today then? or another day?
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Thanks for the info, So the actual impeachment vote is later today then?
    The House impeachment vote will happen sometime later today, probably this afternoon or this evening.

The Senate trial may not happen until the 20th or later. It depends if Mitch brings it forward or not.

The House impeachment vote will happen sometime later today, probably this afternoon or this evening.

The Senate trial may not happen until the 20th or later. It depends if Mitch brings it forward or not.
    Thanks for the info again.

I remember seeing something about Mitch saying the earliest would be the 19th. Would be fucken amazing if Trump got fully impeached on his last day in office.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

10+ Year Old Account
    After that the House sends the Articles of Impeachment to the Senate where the Senate will have a trial.
    But the Senate is in recess so a trial won't likely happen until the 20th or later, unless there's unanimous consent among all senators for an early return. I think Biden also mentioned wanting to wait 100 days.

I remember seeing something about Mitch saying the earliest would be the 19th. Would be fucken amazing if Trump got fully impeached on his last day in office.
    Even if he's out of office, it's still worth it. If he's convicted he'll never be able to hold office again and he loses the perks ex presidents get (Secret Service detail, $1m/year travel budget, 200k salary, etc..)

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    But the Senate is in recess so a trial won't likely happen until the 20th or later, unless there's unanimous consent among all senators for an early return. I think Biden also mentioned wanting to wait 100 days.
    There's a way around that with some obscure rule. It just requires Schumer and McConnel to agree on it.

i know this sounds silly. but did we underestimate how powerful Trump’s twitter feed was in the context of intra-party GOP politics?
    https://twitter.com/samstein/status/...073419268?s=19

Interesting take. We have a small sample size since this happened last week of his Presidency.

Trump using Twitter was a force since he could tweet out his bullshit with no consequences.

Have a press conference. As horrible as reporters were for letting him say lies, he still had to answer.

Just have Presidential airtime? He sorta did with Covid and all the time went off. This you can say people would get tired, which they did and the news channels went away from them.

With Twitter it was his hammer. He could say shit and while you could reply and the news and people like me reacted, Trump was pretty much sheltered.

So the Republicans somewhat overestimated his Twitter influence. Maybe I'm wrong, but if this happened 2 years ago, he would have been crippled. Probably would have found some outlet, yet hampered.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m betting only the 1 Republican votes Yay, just like last night.
    Expect between 10 and 20. 25 on the very high end.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I’m betting only the 1 Republican votes Yay, just like last night.
    Nah, at least 2 - Romney will vote, and Liz Cheney (yes she’s scum) has specifically stated she will vote as well.

Mitch said it would require 100% of senators to OK it to bring it forward early because of special rules. Schumer said that there's another special rule that if the majority and minority leaders agree it's an emergency, they can do it now. As far as I know McConnell hasn't responded to that idea yet.

Even if he's out of office, it's still worth it. If he's convicted he'll never be able to hold office again and he loses the perks ex presidents get (Secret Service detail, $1m/year travel budget, 200k salary, etc..)
    Sounds good to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Mitch said it would require 100% of senators to OK it to bring it forward early because of special rules. Schumer said that there's another special rule that if the majority and minority leaders agree it's an emergency, they can do it now. As far as I know McConnell hasn't responded to that idea yet.
    Well hopefully they come back early but I'm not holding my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    If Mitch votes to convict, Trump is done. If not, I don't think we're going to see enough Republican senators.

If we see more than 10 House R's I think that would be a good indicator of where we're when the Senate takes up the impeachment trial.
    IIRC they predicted at least 20 R in the house voting for impeachment

McConnell is a political animal no different than Pelosi. He'll weigh public support against his own support base and see where he can gain the most. That he can do anything about the bullshit conspiracy nutjobs is probably not relevant. If When the GOP fractures as a result he won't be in any position to care beyond grumbling impotently that he was the "voice of reason."

I think I saw on an article or youtube video yesterday that he would still keep the secret service detail even if he loses the other perks. Would the ss go with him if he decided to live in another country?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I think I saw on an article or youtube video yesterday that he would still keep the secret service detail even if he loses the other perks. Would the ss go with him if he decided to live in another country?
    They'd have to. Assuming he's permitted. He technically has classified info in his head. The secret service doesn't just protect him; it keeps him quiet.

I honestly think there is a good chance for Trump to get fully impeached this time. He threw a lot of republican's under the bus and if they impeach him he can't run for office again in 2024.

Trump running for office again in 2024 means the GOP gets fucked and loses by default. Now there is still some GOP members who will back the Trump train until the end, But I think the majority want to be done with him and his shit.
    The Senate will not vote until after the inauguration and legally they may not be able to convict a former president, only the current one.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    The Senate will not vote until after the inauguration and legally they may not be able to convict a former president, only the current one.
    After losing his "presidential" protections, he can at least be slapped with actual legal charges anyways, yeah? (Ignoring the potential use of self-pardoning that may or may not be attempted.)

Otherwise, if he still has protections for things that he did while president, it'd make sense to be able to still convict with the senate, but that's just an "imo" thing without any real bearing...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by masterhorus8 View Post
    After losing his "presidential" protections, he can at least be slapped with actual legal charges anyways, yeah? (Ignoring the potential use of self-pardoning that may or may not be attempted.)

Otherwise, if he still has protections for things that he did while president, it'd make sense to be able to still convict with the senate, but that's just an "imo" thing without any real bearing...
    It seems like it's all new territory really.

Can't decide if I should watch this impeachment debate/vote. I don't know if I want to spend my whole afternoon angry knee-jerking at Republicans and their argument of "We can't impeach this president for inciting violence because it might incite violence, and aren't the real terrorists the people who hold the terrorists accountable?"