230,457 (so far); about 49k fewer than last Thursday. Missouri hasn't reported yet and it's already wayyyyy too late for me here. What I think is happening with the totals is that we're either coming down off the holiday bump or corrections last week lasted much longer and were more substantial than I initially believed.

Top 10:

California: 40,365 new cases; 639 deaths
    Texas: 25,447 new cases; 415 deaths
    New York: 13,987 new cases; 264 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    North Carolina: 9,853 new cases; 80 deaths
    Georgia: 9,036 new cases; 172 deaths
    Ohio: 7,654 new cases; 100 deaths
    Arizona: 7,311 new cases; 182 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 7,153 new cases; 288 deaths
    New Jersey: 7,082 new cases; 34 deaths

Nevada set a new record for deaths.

As alluded to above, this week we've seen lower reports than I was expecting given how extreme things were looking at the end of last week. As a reminder, we hit 300k last Friday and were above 250k 3 times. I may have underestimated how many corrections were needed or there was a rush to test after the holidays which resulted in huge numbers last week, but if we continue to see a decline by the middle of next week I'd take that as a very positive sign.

It's a bit puzzling since positivity numbers don't seem all that great for most states (anything over 5% is not good and most states are over that) and is actually increasing in several, but as mentioned yesterday testing levels are about the same now as they were pre-holiday. I'm not yet confident enough to say that we're finally past the peak of this most recent wave--that began in fucking October--but by the end of next week it should be more apparent.

4,069 deaths is about 60 fewer than last Thursday and brings the total to 397,994. This does not include Missouri (or Kansas) and their numbers could bring it back up to the same level. The 7-day average ratchets up again to 3.4k.

Related news:

More than 90,000 Americans could die of Covid-19 in next three weeks, CDC forecast shows--No comment.

Trump wants billions cut from global Covid vaccine distributor--Because Trump still hasn't killed enough Americans for his liking.

'Move heaven and earth': President-elect Joe Biden's COVID-19 plan calls for 100 million shots in first 100 days--In direct contrast to Trump's "plan". This pandemic is far from over and it's still going to be a tough year, but at least someone will actually "DO SOMETHING".

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So if you're asking "I don't see how he ISN'T the worst president ever at this point" fear not. Hundreds of experts and the American public all agree with you, in record-setting numbers. Oh, and just you wait till the next lists come out with Trump either being added for the first time (C-Span) or not, but with COVID and the murderous insurrection on the list. Plus crippling debt, the failure of the trade war, vetoing military pay, canceling Firefly, etc.
    Trump also has the current benefit in that all the other Presidents have had many additional years for all their wrongdoings to be brought to public attention. I've no doubt we're barely scratching the surface with ol' Trumpy boy, and the moment he lacks the power to silence people we'll see just how far down he ranks on the list of "WORLDS all-time worst leaders."

NK celebrates Trump's departure with a parade with the world's most powerful weapon.

"Enjoy that Nobel Prize!" the crowd chanted.
    I take it that parade wasn't sponsored by Macy's.

This is the best news I've read in a while.

Old expectation: average of over 5k deaths a day for the rest of January to get to 150k deaths for the month
    New expectation: 90k / 21 days is less than an average of 4.5k deaths a day. That means we are still moving upwards in our numbers (current average would increase from 3.4 to 4.5), but it's less than the previous expectation by a fair amount.

This tells me that for all the headlines, people overall are taking the virus a bit more seriously than expected. Not a LOT more, but a bit more. Enough to save over 500 lives a day.

It also gives me hope that the numbers will start to level off rather than just grow and grow and grow. Fingers crossed.

10+ Year Old Account
    QAnon "shaman" asks Trump for pardon.

Also announces plans to reroll warlock.

- - - Updated - - -

This OP ED brings up two interesting points.

1) McConnell would want at least 68 votes if he wants Trump convicted, that way, no individual Senator is "the vote that convicted".

2) Far more realistically, McConnell and the Republican Party could choose not to convict, but re-write the primary rules to block Trump more directly. The main benefit of impeaching Trump, to McConnell, is to keep Trump from running again and losing like he lost in 2020, and dragging other Republicans down to loser town with him. If he doesn't feel like impeachment is the way to go, for example, if he's worried about being beaten to death by Trump supporters, he (and other Republicans) could be far more subtle, and reword the rules while nobody's looking. Something along the lines of "anyone who ran and lost doesn't get another chance, looking at you Romney".

The idea is to return the rabid fanbase to the voter's booth and pressing the R button. As such, pushing Trump away as gentle as possible is mandatory. As we've seen, Trump can and has inspired his voters to commit murderous insurrection when he claimed the election was stolen when it wasn't. Locking him out aggressively won't help. Asking him nicely won't work. So unless Trump is arrested or dies, they'll need something to keep him from running without creating a Twitter shitst...oh, right. Without going on TV and blasting every Republican as a traitor to a party that no longer exists.

- - - Updated - - -

Cohen is planning to publish a bound collection of Congressional reports (which are not protected by copyright since by definition they belong to the people) and sell it as a book. The topic is, of course, the historic second impeachment of Trump, due to his direct instigation of murderous insurrection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    4,069 deaths.
    This remains a heartbreaking tragedy, but it's actually even worse.

The scarring done to lung tissue is also horrifying.

Far more realistically, McConnell and the Republican Party could choose not to convict, but re-write the primary rules to block Trump more directly. The main benefit of impeaching Trump, to McConnell, is to keep Trump from running again and losing like he lost in 2020, and dragging other Republicans down to loser town with him. If he doesn't feel like impeachment is the way to go, for example, if he's worried about being beaten to death by Trump supporters, he (and other Republicans) could be far more subtle, and reword the rules while nobody's looking. Something along the lines of "anyone who ran and lost doesn't get another chance, looking at you Romney".

The idea is to return the rabid fanbase to the voter's booth and pressing the R button. As such, pushing Trump away as gentle as possible is mandatory. As we've seen, Trump can and has inspired his voters to commit murderous insurrection when he claimed the election was stolen when it wasn't. Locking him out aggressively won't help. Asking him nicely won't work. So unless Trump is arrested or dies, they'll need something to keep him from running without creating a Twitter shitst...oh, right. Without going on TV and blasting every Republican as a traitor to a party that no longer exists.
    Trump would run as an independent in a heart beat. In fact I predict Trump will run as a third party candidate and blast the Republicans for being weak (FOX) while he is the true conservative brand (Newsmax/Qanon)

10+ Year Old Account

Damn... I wish I said that... noice...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

This remains a heartbreaking tragedy, but it's actually even worse.

The scarring done to lung tissue is also horrifying.
    I couldn't finish the article. I don't know what percentage of asymptomatic virus cases end up with Covid Lung. I hope it's a very small percentage. I've heard first hand stories of people in their 30s that before getting the virus they were quite athletic, and afterwards could only walk like from the living room to the kitchen before being out of breath. I hope its a very low percentage.

Dark lords don't care about minions.

This OP ED brings up two interesting points.

1) McConnell would want at least 68 votes if he wants Trump convicted, that way, no individual Senator is "the vote that convicted".

2) Far more realistically, McConnell and the Republican Party could choose not to convict, but re-write the primary rules to block Trump more directly. The main benefit of impeaching Trump, to McConnell, is to keep Trump from running again and losing like he lost in 2020, and dragging other Republicans down to loser town with him. If he doesn't feel like impeachment is the way to go, for example, if he's worried about being beaten to death by Trump supporters, he (and other Republicans) could be far more subtle, and reword the rules while nobody's looking. Something along the lines of "anyone who ran and lost doesn't get another chance, looking at you Romney".

He's lucky he's not in Russia where people vanish or get poisoned.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    I couldn't finish the article. I don't know what percentage of asymptomatic virus cases end up with Covid Lung. I hope it's a very small percentage. I've heard first hand stories of people in their 30s that before getting the virus they were quite athletic, and afterwards could only walk like from the living room to the kitchen before being out of breath. I hope its a very low percentage.
    70 to 80 percent

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    Dark lords don't care about minions.

He's lucky he's not in Russia where people vanish or get poisoned.
    Don't forget how lethal windows tend to be over there too.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    70 to 80 percent
    Important thing to note, lungs can heal. It takes time.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    Important thing to note, lungs can heal. It takes time.
    If I remember correctly, smoker's lung heals in roughly 7 years with 90% or so of the damage healed. Presumably healing continues even after that just at a slower rate.

I’ve been smoke free (apart from two cigarettes) for the best part of a year now. Recently started working out again after having to take time out for medical reasons. I swear, the first two weeks my lungs felt like they were gonna collapse. Even now I have to kinda pace myself into it. I regret ever starting to smoke, so I can’t imagine how non-smokers with the after effects of COVID feel. It’s a shitty fucking feeling, running out of air.

The problem with rewriting the primary rules is that it only stops Trump from running in 2024 as a Republican. Throwing up the possibility of him running as a third party(*) and splitting the Republican vote. Conviction as a result of Impeachment takes him out of the equation entirely.

(*) Or threatening to run as a third party to force the Republican donors to pay him off to stay out of it, whichever is the more profitable grift.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

Smart. With the corruption legendary he could easily escape next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega10 View Post
    If I remember correctly, smoker's lung heals in roughly 7 years with 90% or so of the damage healed. Presumably healing continues even after that just at a slower rate.
    That is my understanding, at least somewhere around that time frame. I'll...I'll stay inside, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    70 to 80 percent
    Are you just fear-mongering or do have any source for that?

The first estimate I found was 8% had severe case of covid-lung (but it seems likely that even that is an over-estimate; since it seems possible that the study missed asymptomatic cases and they probably are less likely to develop ARDS):
    https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...g-term-effects

30% had lung problems for Sars and Mers https://www.bmj.com/content/370/bmj.m3001

And the effect often seems to disappear after a few months "At the time the patients (who had been severely hit by Covid and in ICU) were discharged from the hospital, 88 percent had lung damage, but 12 weeks later, only 56 percent did." - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/18/h...-recovery.html

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    The problem with rewriting the primary rules is that it only stops Trump from running in 2024 as a Republican. Throwing up the possibility of him running as a third party(*) and splitting the Republican vote. Conviction as a result of Impeachment takes him out of the equation entirely.
    Yeah, McConnell should be thinking about a split vote, Republican/Party of Trump.

Well, that just means the Trump Crumbling Wall will have to be named something else.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ce/ar-BB1cMVc6

Dems Plan Legislation To Prevent Anything From Being Named After Trump After He Leaves Office

In a true example of a penalty precisely tailored to enrage its recipient, California Democratic Congresswoman Linda T. Sánchez told reporters that she will be introducing legislation that would prohibit government property from being named after Donald Trump once he leaves office.

“I am working on a bill that would mean that nothing — not even a bench, no airport, no highway, no school — nothing – ever bear the name of this traitor,” Sánchez told People Magazine.

In a blog post, Sánchez recalled her thoughts the night before the January 6th attack on the Capitol building. ” [N]erves were on edge and all eyes were on Washington,” wrote Sánchez. While Congress convened to certified the votes of the election, things, “felt different,” she noted. “Thinking of my friend, Gabby Giffords, I called my husband Tuesday night and told him where my will could be found if the unimaginable happened.”

Here's When You'll Get Your New Stimulus Check
    When Are We Getting a Third Stimulus Check? $2000 Direct Payments Face…
    Law & Crime logoDems Plan Legislation To Prevent Anything From Being Named After Trump After He Leaves Office

Donald Trump wearing a suit and tie© Provided by Law & Crime
    In a true example of a penalty precisely tailored to enrage its recipient, California Democratic Congresswoman Linda T. Sánchez told reporters that she will be introducing legislation that would prohibit government property from being named after Donald Trump once he leaves office.

“I am working on a bill that would mean that nothing — not even a bench, no airport, no highway, no school — nothing – ever bear the name of this traitor,” Sánchez told People Magazine.

In a blog post, Sánchez recalled her thoughts the night before the January 6th attack on the Capitol building. ” [N]erves were on edge and all eyes were on Washington,” wrote Sánchez. While Congress convened to certified the votes of the election, things, “felt different,” she noted. “Thinking of my friend, Gabby Giffords, I called my husband Tuesday night and told him where my will could be found if the unimaginable happened.”

Sánchez, recalling the shocking events of January 6th, continued:

“This time was different, for sure. The President of the United States invited white supremacists, conspiracy theorist believers, militia members, and anti-government extremists to Washington, D.C.. The President incited an insurrection against not just the United States Capitol buildings, but against the very symbol of our democracy.”

It is because of Trump’s involvement and inciting insurrection, says Sánchez, that he should relinquish any and all benefits usually conferred upon former presidents.

Sánchez represents California’s 38th District. She is a California native, a lawyer, and the daughter of Mexican immigrants.

Texas Congressman Joaquin Castro, also a Democrat, has similarly announced plans to formalize a prohibition against naming things after Trump.

https://twitter.com/JoaquinCastrotx/...aves-office%2F

Castro warned that “Donald Trump should never become a future generation’s confederate symbol.”

Castro was named on January 12 as an impeachment manager for Donald Trump’s second impeachment trial.

The push to squash efforts to cement Trump’s legacy likely transcends mere sensationalism. In the past, Republican presidents have enjoyed naming rights on hundreds of projects, often thanks to advocacy groups who lobby for the honor. While former Democratic presidents have shared in name-saking to some degree, it has recently been to a lesser extent as compared with their Republican counterparts.

The suggestion that America might want to re-think its usual policy of naming everything from to libraries to submarines to lizards after past presidents in the context of Trump isn’t a new one. However, a prohibition against this kind of typical presidential tribute would have particular significance when it comes to this president. Trump, heir to his family’s real-estate development business, is unquestionably a titan in the world of self-branding; he has licensed his name for decades, often drawing criticism for displaying his name on structures that he neither owns nor built. Even before officially conceding the 2020 election, Trump was asking which things could be named after him upon his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Well, that just means the Trump Crumbling Wall will have to be named something else.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...ce/ar-BB1cMVc6
    Does that mean there'll be a Drumpf tower?