10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    *snip*

- - - Updated - - -

Once again, it's time to play Guess the Speaker! The subject is Trump.

That's Trump ally and former campaign aide Miller, about why Trump is happier since being banned from Twitter -- something he fought against and said was a bad decision by Twitter, just so we're clear.

Miller probably should have added "In fact, forget the blackjack!"

so happy that he's pony expressing insults (probably written on postit notes in sharpie) to people to post using their twitter accounts
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It will cost him millions - $5M+. And I'm not sure where he's going to find it. I don't know how wealthy he is personally, and I'm sure he made a bundle during the Trump Residency, as most of Trump's Crime Syndicate did, but I don't know if he personally has the resources. And it's unclear if the Trump Legal Fund would cover this - probably not, Trump doesn't even pay his own attorneys.

Assuming he loses, and the verdict is even in the 10's of millions, if he lives long enough and plays out the appeals process, he'll be bankrupt - and still owe millions, because typically judgments can't be discharged in bankruptcy court.

He's fucked. And this isn't the only suit coming down the pipeline against him.
    Isn't he facing two lawsuits? One from Smartmatic and one from Dominion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    yup
    smartmatic has him, with Dobbs and 3 others for 2.7 bill
    Edit:found it
    Smartmatic files $2.7 billion defamation suit against Fox News over election fraud claims
    Fox News Media hosts Lou Dobbs, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro were named, along with lawyers Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell.
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    What is coming down the pipeline?
    The DoJ hasn't even begin investigating the activities of the previous administration. And since Senator Elizabeth Warren is still alive, it will happen (and because the DoJ still cares about justice). So all the shenanigans that the Trump Crime Family and their co-conspirator lawyers were involved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    Who knew it costs so much to be a minion for Trump?

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Can’t make this shit up... grifting to the end:

Trump Hotel in D.C. Hikes up Price for Significant QAnon Date of March 4
    https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-trump...-march-1567489
    Can you milk sheep? Cause Trump sure the hell is milking every single one of them.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...wjy-story.html

Good silly op-ed about how DEMONcrats are totes infecting Republicans with covid. The Republicans that "proudly" decide to ignore all medical advise and treat the virus as a hoax, at least.
    Of course it's them demonrats who are making Republicans sick. As we all know, the more you test, the more cases that are found. If America stopped testing, I bet 100% of the people who have COVID would never have had a COVID diagnosis. #ProveMeWrong
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump probably wouldn't care if he got caught up in it cause it would be just another bankruptcy.
    This one would be different. Trump's businesses went bankrupt six times, but Trump personally never did. However, if such a lawsuit was filed and had any chance of success, there'd be one main beneficiary:

Deutsche Bank.

Trump personally guaranteed hundreds of millions in loans. In the past, he's been floated an extension or two. If a loan comes due, and Trump's being sued, the banks will not kick the can down the road. They'll take the money -- or, if Trump can't pay, they'll take things Trump actually likes.

NYState would also make their move, because if Trump loses all his money, he can't pay the back taxes he owes either.

Bankruptcy isn't a get-out-of-lawsuit card, it might actually be worse. In bankruptcy, other people decide who you pay, and how much. You get to sit and wait until they're done carving your life's work out into parcels and give them to other people.

Make no mistake, Dominion wants Giuliani to turn on Trump -- accidentally under oath because he's a gibbering idiot, or on purpose to save his hide. That gives them free reign to not only reflect the damages they suffered onto Trump, but start a chain reaction that destroys him in public.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...p-from-office/

So impeaching Trump isn't just more popular than not impeaching him, it's majority popular.

So impeaching Trump isn't just more popular than not impeaching him, it's majority popular.
    I know it's semantics, but it's important: he's already been impeached (twice). This was for removal/conviction.

- - - Updated - - -

Monday's short report:

87,031 new cases is about 41k fewer than last Monday and continues the trend of big drops from the previous week.

1,489 deaths is about 400 fewer than last Monday and brings the total to 476,405. We're closing in on a half million deaths and those whose negligence led to most of them will likely never truly be held accountable. Meanwhile I'm sure the GOP is chomping at the bit to start another distracting Benghazi investigation. Or they're too busy dying from COVID-19 after denying it's been a problem for the past year.

Related news:

U.S. COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations log biggest weekly drops since pandemic started--This is fantastic news and the drop in hospitalizations is particularly important.

Wild Super Bowl celebrations prompt COVID super-spreader worries--Aaaaand then we come crashing back to a reality that is filled with fucking braindead dipshits. Fuck Florida.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    If the timeline meshes up, Ron Wright was on his deathbed in the ICU at the very moment his staffers were sending out that tweet, so...

Yes, death cultists.
    Wonder if they'll Hermain Cain his account.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Wild Super Bowl celebrations prompt COVID super-spreader worries--Aaaaand then we come crashing back to a reality that is filled with fucking braindead dipshits. Fuck Florida.

Stay safe, folks.
    What makes me most upset is that these folks will probably spread it well beyond FL. And the folks responsible for shit like this like Ron DeSantis show up to the superbowl, unmasked, because he's gotta be able to drink a beer, bro.

The wrong people are catching covid.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    You have no idea how tempted I was to create a GhostofRonWhite account to essentially do that, but I felt it would be in poor taste and we usually leave that sort of thing to their side.

- - - Updated - - -

What makes me most upset is that these folks will probably spread it well beyond FL. And the folks responsible for shit like this like Ron DeSantis show up to the superbowl, unmasked, because he's gotta be able to drink a beer, bro.

The wrong people are catching covid.
    Yep. The numbers from Florida have always been unreliable, but I'll be watching for mini-explosions around the country in a week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    This one would be different. Trump's businesses went bankrupt six times, but Trump personally never did. However, if such a lawsuit was filed and had any chance of success, there'd be one main beneficiary:

Deutsche Bank.

Trump personally guaranteed hundreds of millions in loans. In the past, he's been floated an extension or two. If a loan comes due, and Trump's being sued, the banks will not kick the can down the road. They'll take the money -- or, if Trump can't pay, they'll take things Trump actually likes.

NYState would also make their move, because if Trump loses all his money, he can't pay the back taxes he owes either.

Bankruptcy isn't a get-out-of-lawsuit card, it might actually be worse. In bankruptcy, other people decide who you pay, and how much. You get to sit and wait until they're done carving your life's work out into parcels and give them to other people.

Make no mistake, Dominion wants Giuliani to turn on Trump -- accidentally under oath because he's a gibbering idiot, or on purpose to save his hide. That gives them free reign to not only reflect the damages they suffered onto Trump, but start a chain reaction that destroys him in public.
    Can they take his property in bankruptcy? I thought they were assets of his businesses for loophole purposes. I remember there was a huge property that wasn't Mar-a-Lago, that his family stayed at a lot, and it was problematic because he declared it a rental place to reduce taxes despite never renting it out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can they take his property in bankruptcy? I thought they were assets of his businesses for loophole purposes
    His share of said businesses is an asset, and they can take that. This would therefore strip him of the properties for even less than they're worth.

Remember, banks aren't charities. They didn't let Trump personally guarantee a loan, if they knew Trump could not pay it back. There are all kinds of loopholes, true, but when you get a loan from a bank, you sign a contract, and they can/will enforce it. Deutsche Bank knows Trump has assets and partial ownership of assets. They also know he can't just give them to Donnie Dum-Dum Jr and shrug, saying "well I guess I'm broke...until you look the other way". Those people didn't get where they were playing fair, but they also didn't get where they were by giving billions to idiots and getting nothing in return.

If dodging loans with bankruptcy was that easy, everyone would do it (and therefore the rules would change). Imagine if I borrowed $1000 in cash secured with a $1000 computer. I give the cash to @cubby and also the computer, go back to the bank and say "Well I can't pay you". Not only would they take me to court to get the money by completely legal means, I suspect I'd be criminally liable for fraud for giving away the collateral. If @cubby knew what I was doing, he'd be an accomplice, so odds are he'd give the money and/or computer back or he's in trouble too.

Trump had six businesses that lost a ton of value and they could not pay their creditors. He was partial owner, but he didn't sign the contracts on his behalf, but his companies'. That's closer to the loophole you asked about. But as long as Trump has assets, especially the ones Deutsche Bank told him not to give away or sell, he can't just walk away from this one and claim poverty. Nor can he simply hide it under the rug and hope for the best.

If, for example, Deutsche Bank comes to reclaim the loan and Trump declares bankruptcy, the courts will decide who gets what share of Trump's owned businesses. If he tries to defraud a bank, Deutsche Bank will bring him up on charges, and still get their money from his family and businesses. People who give out loans aren't typically forgiving sorts that will say "Well, I guess we don't get that billion back, womp-womp" and shrug. They say "you owe us that billion, and if necessary, we'll get it from your grandchildren, now open wide we're going for those fillings".

10+ Year Old Account

Technically, the correct statement is a majority wanted to remove him from office, not want to remove him, as he is already out of office.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last edited by Elegiac; 2021-02-09 at 05:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry you don't care about being correct. Plus, it is incorrect to say "no one cares", as a significant portion of the US population does. What you likely meant was "no one who's opinion I care about cares".

Oh, and that poll shows that only 47% think he should be convicted.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Technically, the correct statement is a majority wanted to remove him from office, not want to remove him, as he is already out of office.
    And technically the majority never wanted trump to be in office anyway, and yet four years of “well how bad could he be?” later we’re draining his swamp clogged with 400,000 dead Americans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Sorry you don't care about being correct. Plus, it is incorrect to say "no one cares", as a significant portion of the US population does. What you likely meant was "no one who's opinion I care about cares".

Oh, and that poll shows that only 47% think he should be convicted.
    ...against the 40% that think he shouldn’t. So more people believe he should be officially removed. It’s not even particularly close.

Moreover, there’s a decent chunk of republicans within that 40% that believe the insane conspiracy that Biden didn’t actually win. So clearly their opinion on the matter is tainted with an enormous grain of “nothing this person thinks on the matter is worth a rat’s ass because they live in a fairy dreamworld”

Factoring them into the equation would be like putting up a poll asking a group of people whether they’d rather take a cruise to Europe or Japan and including a contingent of flat earthers who didn’t think it was possible to sail to Japan.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2021-02-09 at 08:18 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.