Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    One of Trump’s most dangerous qualities, sadly like Hitler, is his magnetic charisma and compelling voice. It can easily influence young people until they realize they’ve gone in too deep into the wrong ideologies.
    I am not convinced that he has some of the other "qualities" that would make him dangerous in the way Hitler was, namely Hitler wasn't solely about Hitler, he had an ideology, a grand plan for a better world. Trump, from where I am sitting at least (and I know many will disagree) is only out for himself. That isn't to say he can't do harm- he has caused harm, the prospect of him potentially coming back is very alarming, but I could never see him causing harm on any comparable level to dictators/would be dictators (I wouldn't necessarily call Trump one, a would be sure, but I think his hands were too tied to be one outright). This isn't intended to be a defense of Trump, just that I think he is too shit to reach those depths.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    The next date will be April 20, because Trump's initials are the 4th and 20th letters of the alphabet. Not to mention it's also Hitler's birthday.

Then after that it will be October 3. If you take the wavelength of Trump's skin color (orange) in nanometers, you get 600. Then divide by 45 because he was the 45th President, and you get 13.333 (repeating of course). Subtract 3 from that since Earth is the 3rd planet from the sun, and you get 10.333, round to 1 decimal place because Trump was the bestest, bigliest #1 President ever, and you get 10.3 (October 3).
    It's kinda like how the date for the apocalypse keeps changing.

"Sorry guys, God just told me he postponed the event a few more years"
    Putin khuliyo

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2021...e-resolutions/

“We did not send him there to vote his conscience,” Dave Ball, the chair of the Washington County Republican Party, told KDKA political editor Jon Delano on Monday. “We did not send him there to do the right thing, whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us, and we feel very strongly that he did not represent us.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post

“We did not send him there to vote his conscience,” Dave Ball, the chair of the Washington County Republican Party, told KDKA political editor Jon Delano on Monday. “We did not send him there to do the right thing, whatever he said he was doing. We sent him there to represent us, and we feel very strongly that he did not represent us.”
    It’s a cult... simple as that...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    One of Trump’s most dangerous qualities, sadly like Hitler, is his magnetic charisma and compelling voice. It can easily influence young people until they realize they’ve gone in too deep into the wrong ideologies.
    One of your worst baiting attempts so far.
    Trump has the worst delivery ( especially when he’s trying to come across as sincere , and even more so when he’s reading from a teleprompter) of any politician/ charlatan in recent memory. His wooden physical gestures just add to his punchability every time he speaks.
    He has/had appeal to a large portion of the population because he has tapped into their hidden fears and resentments. His followers are feeling they are losing/ being left behind and he has emboldened them to embrace and openly express their xenophobic, often racist views of the perceived causes for that, including Democrats.
    Other historical autocrats and despots ( real ones , not dimestore wannabe ones like Trump) such as Stalin, Mussolini, Hitler, Mao and others had a much more authentic delivery and style as well as a force of will - charisma -that convinced a much larger portion of their population to go along with and actually implement their (often horrific) plans.
    Trump is nowhere near smart or disciplined enough to achieve anywhere near the same , more than half the US population would never embrace him.
    If/when another , actually competent and charismatic political figure appears on the right wing of the US political landscape in the future , I am nowhere near as confident that they will be stopped.

P.S. This is the one and only time I will ever respond to you, you are nothing but a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    If they want direct democracy, which they do based on this, they’ll never hold power again.
    It's even funnier because these are the same idiots who will brag about the United States being a republic and not a democracy, completely oblivious to the fact that those terms have nothing to do with the political parties.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Small reminder, that I'm sure most don't need. Cults don't just go away when the leader is gone from the spotlight.
    Trump got his ass whooped prior to trying to overthrow the election.

If the GOP wants to run him again in 2024, it's their grave.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Trump got his ass whooped prior to trying to overthrow the election.

If the GOP wants to run him again in 2024, it's their grave.
    is your definition of 'whooped' is about 100k votes going the other way in the correct places then yeah sure.

Personally Trump got way to close to winning while completely failing to deal with a pandemic, and peoples memories are short. If he runs against in 4 years he will win the R primary and has a decent shot at winning the general election.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Small reminder
    Pence got 12 percent? More than Rubio, Cruz and Haley combined?

Maybe there are some true Republicans left after all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Small reminder, that I'm sure most don't need. Cults don't just go away when the leader is gone from the spotlight.
    Not that I disagree with the results of the poll, nor am I saying it isn’t troubling, but to put it in some context he’s the only Republican politician who has any real recognition right now.

Right now they’re all either considered RINO traitors or are seen as simply being subservient to Trump. He dominated the entirety of the GOP scene in one way or another.

Will that pass with time? We’ll have to see. But Biden has only been president for less than a month, and trumps obviously still in the news.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Lets see how the courts handle terrorists and traitors.
    My guess color of skin will result in slaps on the wrist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Reminder, people JUST voted for Pence/Trump. They're going to lead polls based on that fact alone.
    Ah, yeah, that's an excellent point.

We'll wait and see. I'm sure Deutsch Bank will collect on their loans in the next couple years and that will be the end of the Donald.

Sarah Palin successfully grifted the right wing for awhile but she wasn't 100's of millions in debt.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Pence got 12 percent? More than Rubio, Cruz and Haley combined?
    That's the rich fundie vote. He's still their boy.

10+ Year Old Account
    53% That's quite a drop in three months. Back then he was polling 88%.

Next week in POLITICO Playbook: Pundits can't quit Trump, sir.
    Government Affiliated Snark

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a KKK Act???

(reads news)

Holy shit.

With passage of the Third Force Act, popularly known as the Ku Klux Act, Congress authorizes President Ulysses S. Grant to declare martial law, impose heavy penalties against terrorist organizations and use military force to suppress the Ku Klux Klan (KKK).
    Damn, Grant wasn't fuckin' around.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's a KKK Act???

(reads news)

Holy shit.

Fun fact: the current Republican enclaves in states like Washington and Oregon are direct descendants of white supremacists fleeing Grant's enforcement of the Klan Act. A lot of the landowners in Eastern Washington, Oregon, and Idaho are essentially old money descendants of Confederate emigres.

So, yeah. The idea that "it's all in the past" continues to be laughable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the rich fundie vote.
    Like I said, true Republican. The Religious Right and the Gun Nuts aren't really old friends of the GOP -- they took them on because Democrats outnumbered them. Seriously, remove abortion and civilians owning weapons of war and leave personal responsibility and small government. How many votes do they lose?

The Washington County Republican Party didn't send him there at all. The state of Pennsylvania did.

- - - Updated - - -

He was not, and I wish that was taught more in schools. I only really learned it from a (frankly excellent) biography of Grant by Ron Chernow.