Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Thankfully, it is still less than 1/3 as deadly per capita as the 1918 H1N1 Pandemic.

More importantly, at 600k it overtakes cancer as the #2 cause of death, and at 700k it would have handedly passed heart attack as the leading cause of death in the US.
    H1N1, is swine flu in 2009. You are talking about the Spanish Flu, and at that time they didn't have the medicine we have now, but still the stupid anti-maskers that fucking make it last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Knife Pervert View Post
    At a glance it looks like they're hunting pistols, or at least some of them are. That one in the middle left with the wood furniture looks like a Remington XP100, which is basically a bolt-action rifle that's been mated with a pistol frame. AFAIR it's a single-shot so no magazine. If I had to hazard a guess I'd assume the others are variations of that single-shot, bolt action hunting pistol design.

Basically the equivalent of standing in front of your grandpa's gun cabinet to act like a tough guy. But like, the least threatening gun cabinet you can think of. They really are ugly, IMO.
    Thanks for the reply, I had no idea they had single shot bolt action pistols beyond antique pistols. I just looked up single shot bolt action pistols and ya they are real. I do agree though that Don "Dr. Rockzo the Rock n' Roll Clown and I do Cocaine" Jr.'s aesthetic choices are fucking horrendous.

Thankfully, it is still less than 1/3 as deadly per capita as the 1918 H1N1 Pandemic.

More importantly, at 600k it overtakes cancer as the #2 cause of death, and at 700k it would have handedly passed heart attack as the leading cause of death in the US.
    This is very sobering. It is looking like 600k is guaranteed, and that 700k will only be avoidable if the vaccines work as they seem to, and the mutations don't overwhelm the country first. Thanks for this perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    H1N1, is swine flu in 2009. You are talking about the Spanish Flu,
    Both the "Spanish flu 1918" and the "Swine flu 2009" are H1N1; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influe...s_subtype_H1N1

Or in other words, the previous poster was correct.

Just saying, a 100 years ago people also didn't shower regularly.
    People back then died for all sorts of non pandemic related stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Seems the GOP/Trump's plan of "do nothing and hope it goes away" didn't end up working, hmm?
    Oh how I wish he would've just done nothing. If he had done literally nothing, we wouldn't have nearly as many anti-mask idiots. But instead of doing nothing, he actively encouraged people to not wear masks, not to mention all the superspreader events he hosted. I wonder how much lower the death toll would have been if he did literally nothing.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    The continued Party of Trump slide into blatant false information continues.

Our Ruling

Abbott said that the failure of the state’s renewable energy sources "thrust Texas into this situation where it was lacking power at a statewide basis."

Texas is a state with diverse energy sources. Grid officials have said multiple that, on top of grid infrastructure being poorly designed to handle the week's freezing conditions, the drop in power supply is attributable to all energy sources. Although many wind turbines faltered under the conditions, wind energy as a whole outperformed normal expectations thanks to blustery weather.

Abbott walked back the comments he made on Hannity during a press conference the next day, denying that he singled out wind power as the culprit.

We rate this claim False.
    Meanwhile on the other side:

Our Ruling

O’Rourke said regarding the Texas power blackout "energy experts and State House Dems, among others, were warning of this for years."

Experts have been warning about the failures of the state’s power grid for years, particularly after a 2011 cold spell. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the North American Electric Reliability Corp. wrote an extensive report showing that recommendations following a 1989 outage weren’t implemented. Other experts have also warned for years about ERCOT and power blackouts, and state legislators tried to propose bills to improve the state’s energy infrastructure.

We rate this claim True.
    No, not every claim made by a Republican is false and not every claim made by a Democrat is true. But the gap between them seems to have gotten MUCH wider in the last Trump years. "Windmills cause cancer" "hydrocholoroquine" "I didn't collude with Russia" "CHINA VIRUS" "I'm not a Trump supporter, but isn't everything Trump does amazing and everything Biden does is awful?"

- - - Updated - - -
    @cubby get in here!

SCOTUS declines to hear Trump's tax case, therefore, the most recent court ruling (that the NY AG gets the tax returns) is the final ruling.

10+ Year Old Account
    **Breaking***

Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Bid to Conceal Financial Records. The former president’s accountants will give the records he has spent years trying to shield to New York prosecutors. - The New York Times

I'm guessing that Trump loses a ton of GOP support once all of fans figure out how in debt he really is.

Right wing posters cant stand being associated with a loser.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    I'm guessing that Trump loses a ton of GOP support once all of fans figure out how in debt he really is.
    It might take more than that for him to shed 10% voter support.

However, once he's staring down the barrel of a cocked, loaded felony charge, the RNC will have to start cutting ties immediately. Remember, Trump is heading to CPAC and it's 50/50 he'll announce he's running again. He still has 58% support and a sizable portion of nominal Republicans would leave to join Trump's party if he made one. If they put all their eggs in the Trump basket and then he goes to jail, they get to limp home to their bunkers to cry into their single scoop of ice cream, likely leaving a trail of yellow footprints.

They need a Trump replacement. Trump won't agree to that without a yuge concession. If the GOP has any intent to win 2022 or 2024, they need to find a bribe Trump will accept before the cuffs snap into place.

**Breaking***

Supreme Court Denies Trump’s Bid to Conceal Financial Records. The former president’s accountants will give the records he has spent years trying to shield to New York prosecutors. - The New York Times

You think a bit of debt or tax fraud is going to stop the GOP from supporting him?

The dude literally told the head of the GOP in the House to kick rocks when his own supporters were threatening to kill congressmen.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knife Pervert View Post
    Yeah they're pretty obscure I think, so I don't blame you for thinking they were fake. I'd wager 'bolt action hunting pistols' are pretty rare outside of 'hunter' and niche challenge shooting circles, the former of which Don Jr is a part of. Gabriel's on the mark, among being a cokehead Donnie J is a trophy hunter that has taken a number of trips -- some of which cost the taxpayers a pretty penny -- to other countries to go hunt exotic and sometimes endangered/threatened animals. The guy has never met a low he won't sink to.
    Yeah, you see them as just bizarre collector pieces sometimes, but they are pretty rare out of certain hunting circles. They are terribly uncomfortable to shoot, since they are typically rifle calibers in a strange pistol frame. He is probably using them to collect elephant tails or something. They have no real practical purpose, since they are just inferior to an actual rifle in every way. The point of them is to claim you shot a thing with a pistol, but still be using a 300 Remington Magnum or something.

**Breaking***

You say that as if facts and logic have any meaning to Trump supporters.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    @cubby get in here!

SCOTUS declines to hear Trump's tax case, therefore, the most recent court ruling (that the NY AG gets the tax returns) is the final ruling.
    Very good news to wake up to this morning. While not specifically a scientific principle, there is a direct proportion to the amount of effort one exudes to prevent financial records from being disclosed to how totally fucked you'll be once they are revealed.

I bet Vance is going to have two scoops today.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    They need a Trump replacement. Trump won't agree to that without a yuge concession. If the GOP has any intent to win 2022 or 2024, they need to find a bribe Trump will accept before the cuffs snap into place.
    I would not be surprised at all if the American justice system managed to let Trump campaign from prison and and get set free to be president after winning. Something something rehabilitation, valuable member of society. He got away with everything so far. To be honest I don't even see him convicted for any of the stuff he faces now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    You say that as if facts and logic have any meaning to Trump supporters.
    Very true, who knows what will cause the cult to finally unwind?

My pet theory is that part of his appeal is; people see him as a Rich Uncle that will suddenly bail them out. The release of financials and incoming debt lawsuits will chip away at this fantasy.

It's part of the Green Lantern trend in politics. People thinking that a certain candidate will have magic powers to suddenly "fix government". It reoccurs hand-in-hand with anti-establishment candidates. See also; candidates branding themselves as Tío.

"According to Brendan Nyhan, the Dartmouth political scientist who coined the term, the Green Lantern Theory of the Presidency is “the belief that the president can achieve any political or policy objective if only he tries hard enough or uses the right tactics.” In other words, the American president is functionally all-powerful, and whenever he can’t get something done, it’s because he’s not trying hard enough, or not trying smart enough."

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Very good news to wake up to this morning. While not specifically a scientific principle, there is a direct proportion to the amount of effort one exudes to prevent financial records from being disclosed to how totally fucked you'll be once they are revealed.

I bet Vance is going to have two scoops today.
    I have a theory that the activist con judges aren't trying to rock the boat judicially while dems have power so the dems don't go nuclear and expand the court

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    I have a theory that the activist con judges aren't trying to rock the boat judicially while dems have power so the dems don't go nuclear and expand the court
    They also do their most devastating work when no one is watching. Right now EVERYONE is watching.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    Trump appointees (and other GOP judges) are not there to defend Trump or even GOP politicians. They might do that sometimes but they have three primary jobs: overturn abortion, voter suppression and advance corporate interests. The latter is their most important function.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Trump appointees (and other GOP judges) are not there to defend Trump or even GOP politicians. They might do that sometimes but they have three primary jobs: overturn abortion, voter suppression and advance corporate interests. The latter is their most important function.
    Very true the ones that stuck their neck out and tried to give a free pass to their white supremacists brothers got swatted down fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    I would not be surprised at all if the American justice system managed to let Trump campaign from prison and and get set free to be president after winning. Something something rehabilitation, valuable member of society. He got away with everything so far. To be honest I don't even see him convicted for any of the stuff he faces now.
    Well, as far as running for president goes, you only need to be over a certain age and born an american citizen. So yes, he could run for president from prison.