Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Can he do? I mean can somebody with a criminal record be even put on ballot in some of these states?
    Elections are run by the state and not by federal law and if you can't vote in some of these states then it would be weird if you could run office in these states.
    That is the million dollar question. Would the states put him on the ballot or would he sue to try and overturn any state law that would bar him if there are laws that would bar him from running again if he went to prison.

Here is a link for more information. https://www.factcheck.org/2008/11/felons-in-office/

Federal Office Holders

The Constitution requires that members of the House and Senate fulfill three requirements:

All members of the House must be at least 25 years old, and members of the Senate must be at least 30 years old.
    Members of the House must have been a U.S. citizen for at least seven years, and members of the Senate must have been a U.S. citizen for at least nine years.
    They have to be an “inhabitant” of the state “when elected.”
    As a result, according to the Congressional Research Service, committing a crime cannot constitutionally disqualify someone from serving in Congress. And the state has no say in determining whether or not someone is qualified to serve in the House or Senate.

CRS: [S]ince a State does not have the authority to add qualifications for federal offices, the fact of conviction, even for a felony offense, could not be used to keep a candidate off of the ballot under State law either as a direct disqualification of convicted felons from holding or being a candidate for office, or as a disqualification of one who is no longer a “qualified elector” in the State. Once a person meets the three constitutional qualifications of age, citizenship and inhabitancy in the State when elected, that person, if duly elected, is constitutionally “qualified” to serve in Congress, even if a convicted felon.

When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Funny story. DeSantis ordered flags to half-mast, not for the victims of COVID, but for Rush Limbaugh. And some of his staff is refusing to follow that order.
    Good. Fuck Limbaugh. He doesn't deserve it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cruz explains, with the dignity and humility we've come to expect from him, why he went to Cancun.

I will say, to venture into practicing medicine, that I actually want to diagnose the media. The media is suffering from acute Trump withdrawal, where for four years every day, they could foam at the mouth and be obsessed with Donald Trump, and now that he has receded from their day-to-day storyline, they don't know what to do with themselves.

Donald Trump broke the media, and so they don't want to do that, They just want to engage in political attacks.
    Hmm. Interesting. Incidentally, Cruz didn't say that Trump was obsessed with being in the public eye. Nor did he say the press was reporting on all the stuff Trump did. And he had no comment on Trump's declaration, literally yesterday, that Trump won the election.

But apparently, the problem (Cruz says) with going to Cancun, was that the media wanted to make it a political attack, just because Cruz agreed with Trump on everything all the time.

I wonder if that will work for me? "Officer, you pulled me over for doing 125MPH through a handicapped spot because you caught all the murderers and now you're just looking for something to do."

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    In a truly shocking twist, NASA says it can't go to the Moon by 2024 after all. This startling development is apparently the result of a new discovery that spaceships are expensive, and nobody actually gave NASA enough money to build them. As it turns out, while Grit, Moxie, and a Can-Do attitude are all essential to getting to the Moon, money is also a necessary ingredient.

Of course, the previous administration was extremely confident that funding the program at less then 15% of the requested money would not cause serious issues or delays, but apparently the Biden administration is made of up quitters and losers that keep finding all sorts of excuses not to go. Like not having a launch vehicle, a lander, a capsule, or any astronauts training for the mission. At least Trump knew that going to the moon really only requires confidence and a twitter post, and that 2024 was like, a long way away anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    spaceships are expensive, and nobody actually gave NASA enough money to build them
    Oh look, Trump not paying someone.

...yeah that one's on Congress, really. But nobody reasonable thought that was going to happen, or at least, not very likely. it was as realistic as...um...balancing the budget in 8 years or adding 25 million jobs in 4/8 years. Or getting Mexico to pay for the Wall. Or blocking people from the country based purely on religion. Or making the...

(five minutes of Trump promises pass)

...love, honor and obey, or prosecute Clinton.

- - - Updated - - -

Hah hah, Cruz admitted in an interview that his wife's leaked texts were correct.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Trump may have to answer rape charges.

More of what is coming down the line for him. Once a prey is wounded, the wilderness swarms. At some point relatively soon (see also Blizzard "soon") Trump will be on the stand, sworn in, and giving testimony.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Once a prey is wounded, the wilderness swarms.
    He's got blood coming out of his wherever.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/54...e-cost-him-65m

“I lost 20 retailers, and it’s cost me $65 million this year that I won’t get back, OK?” Lindell told Business Insider. “There’s your story. Print it right. Don’t try and twist this."
    Man, these grifters really fuckin suck at grifting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I look forward to him getting his ass handed to him in court when he tries to prove his conspiracy theories.
    I'm guessing he's still hoping that Trump appointees will just rule for him

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    He's got blood coming out of his wherever.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/homenews/news/54...e-cost-him-65m
    “I lost 20 retailers, and it’s cost me $65 million this year that I won’t get back, OK?” Lindell told Business Insider. “There’s your story. Print it right. Don’t try and twist this."
    Man, these grifters really fuckin suck at grifting.
    "Lying Costs Pillow King Millions"

(did I get that right?)

More of what is coming down the line for him. Once a prey is wounded, the wilderness swarms. At some point relatively soon (see also Blizzard "soon") Trump will be on the stand, sworn in, and giving testimony.
    No vulture in the world would touch that rotten carcass. It'd be a mercy killing.

10+ Year Old Account
    these grifters really fuckin suck at grifting.
    He probably calls it "cancel culture" and not, you know, backing a murderous insurrection and claiming you have proof of widespread fraud when you don't.

I will continue to call it "capitalism"

Making enemies in the worst ways possible for decades and it's all going to come to a head. Many would end themselves or disappear. This will be damning.

Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    Good. Fuck Limbaugh. He doesn't deserve it.
    Nope, they better keep his gravesite private, because I am sure some people will gladly come and piss on it for him radicalizing their parents.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Nope, they better keep his gravesite private, because I am sure some people will gladly come and piss on it for him radicalizing their parents.
    Without going into too much detail, I am friends with a gay couple who want to fuck on it out of spite. HIGHLY doubt they go through with it because it's really out of character for at least one of them, but I get the impression it's a prevailing thought in their local circle of friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    This springs to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

"Lying Costs Pillow King Millions"

(did I get that right?)
    Guess pillow guy will have to...
    *sunglasses*
    Bite it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    This springs to mind.
    Don Hertzfeldt is truly a gem. And a multiple Academy Award nominee for his short animated films!

I know this because I am a consumer whore.

(And how!)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    Nah. Go visit it, take flowers or some shit. Salt the grave thoroughly. If you're feeling froggy, make a design.

- - - Updated - - -

Don Hertzfeldt is truly a gem. And a multiple Academy Award nominee for his short animated films!

I know this because I am a consumer whore.

(And how!)
    I love his work. Rejected is my favorite.
    Now with more sodium
    (Sweet Jesus!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

Testing still appears to be down, but I'll go ahead with the full report anyway:

71,054 new cases, about 28k fewer than 2 weeks ago. I'm skipping last week as a frame of reference for obvious reasons. This number will go up as a handful of late reports come in.

Top 5:

Texas: 10,075 new cases; 258 deaths
    New York: 6,841 new cases; 125 deaths
    California: 6,376 new cases; 315 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Georgia: 3,780 new cases; 92 deaths

Texas is the only state above 10k cases today and it's unclear if this is because of corrections or because it's really that bad there. They still aren't testing at a normal level so it's possible that number is even higher. It's also pretty evident that, while new cases are decreasing, they're decreasing more slowly than they have been compared to weeks past. We're still shedding about 10k cases on average every week but 70k is still double the low after the last wave. Testing should increase again as states dig themselves out of the storm, but the US as a whole has been woefully inadequate in the testing department for the entire pandemic (California and New York being exceptions).

2,404 deaths is around 800 fewer than two weeks ago and brings the total to 514,996. A drop of 400 a week is about on par with what we were seeing in the weeks prior to the storm and it's great to see that trend continue. California is still topping that grim chart but given how quickly they've brought their case numbers down in the past month those numbers should be falling dramatically soon as well.

Related news:

Covid Death Outlook Improves as Drop in U.S. Exceeds Forecasts--I'm going to assume the experts have taken the faulty data of the past week or so into account and not that, like Stanley Tucci in "The Core", they've made a trivially stupid math error that's going to doom us all. This is some decent news.

Almost a third of people with 'mild' Covid-19 still battle symptoms months later, study finds--Annnnd crashing back to reality. The long-term effects of the virus are going to be with us for a long, long time.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Fuck Florida.
    Remember when this was a joke? (sighs)

Who gets vaccinated next? Florida’s the only state that doesn’t tell you.

Florida is the only state that hasn’t told its residents who will get shots next, when more doses are available, according to an analysis of state rollouts by the Kaiser Family Foundation, a nonprofit focused on national health issues. Instead, Gov. Ron DeSantis has been laser-focused on vaccinating seniors, telling other groups to wait their turn.
    Link to study.

“Most states are providing information,” said Jen Kates, Kaiser’s vice president. “Maybe they haven’t put it out for all phases, but at least for the next phase coming up. All but one state, and that’s Florida.”

The lack of clear messaging has left millions of essential workers confused about when they might have access to vaccines. Neither they nor other groups recommended as key for vaccination by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — like those younger than 65 who are medically vulnerable — have been told when their time will come.
    The US has (during Trump's time at least) handled COVID arguably the worst of the first-world countries. Well, it's starting to look like Flordai:US::US:World.