10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    she's finally encouraging folks to wear masks.
    She's actually been wearing a mask for a while now.

- - - Updated - - -

McConnell calls Biden's infrastructure plan "a missed opportunity" and signaled his opposition to it.

"What was wrong with it?"

It had taxes to pay for it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...948_story.html

G. Gordon Liddy, one of the main people behind the Watergate break-in, died yesterday at age 90. He was basically the Roger Stone of the '70s.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Small announcement to make. Since I won't be able to stay up late enough for all of the results to come in going forward, I won't be giving my reports at night anymore. They will happen the following day when I can find the time for it. It was kind of galling me giving reports without all of the information and that was only going to get worse as time goes on.

So, today anyone who was still following them gets a one-day break from the bad news. I'll resume tomorrow with the results from today (and so on and so on). Unfortunately it's looking like we're going to be dealing with a new wave now so I'm stuck doing them (I do them as much for myself as y'all) for a while yet.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    So Trump is being sued.

"You already posted that. Like, so many times."

Well, this is new.

"Is it the defamation case?"

No. It's the murderous insurrection.

"I thought we already knew about that?"

He's being sued by two of the survivors directly.

Both United States Capitol Police Officers reported for duty on January 6, 2021, without any suspicion that they would soon become the targets of Trump’s followers. The insurrectionist mob, which Trump had inflamed, encouraged, incited, directed, and aided and abetted, forced its way over and past the plaintiffs and their fellow officers, pursuing and attacking them inside and outside the United States Capitol, and causing the injuries.
    I also saw a comment (not in that source but one of the many) suggesting Trump would try to fight the lawsuit with campaign donations. Doing this would admit that this was a campaign event -- and, therefore, planned. This, in turn, would open the door to other civil and legal actions with "he planned it" being official evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

N.Y. Seeks Trump Insider’s Records, in Apparent Bid to Gain Cooperation

This is a NYTimes article, so I'll quote most of it because paywall.

State prosecutors in Manhattan investigating former President Donald J. Trump and the Trump Organization have subpoenaed the personal bank records of the company’s chief financial officer and are questioning gifts he and his family received from Mr. Trump, according to people with knowledge of the matter.

In recent weeks, the prosecutors have trained their focus on the executive, Allen H. Weisselberg, in what appears to be a determined effort to gain his cooperation. Mr. Weisselberg, who has not been accused of wrongdoing, has overseen the Trump Organization’s finances for decades and may hold the key to any possible criminal case in New York against the former president and his family business.

It is unclear whether Mr. Weisselberg would cooperate with the investigation and neither his lawyer, Mary E. Mulligan, nor Mr. Vance’s office would comment. But if a review of his personal finances were to uncover possible wrongdoing, prosecutors could then use that information to press Mr. Weisselberg to guide them through the inner workings of the company. The 73-year-old accountant began his career working for Mr. Trump’s father.
    Also known as "pulling a Cohen".

Separately, the prosecutors are also seeking a new round of internal documents from the Trump Organization, including general ledgers from several of its more than two dozen properties that the company did not turn over last year, according to the people with knowledge of the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive details.

The ledgers offer a line-by-line breakdown of each property’s financial situation, including daily receipts, checks and revenues. The prosecutors could compare those details against the information the company provided to its lenders and local tax authorities to assess whether it fraudulently misled them.

Mr. Vance’s office has also subpoenaed records from several banks where Mr. Trump or his company had accounts, including JPMorgan Chase and Capital One, according to people with knowledge of subpoenas served on the banks.

The previously unreported developments underscore the escalation of the investigation after Mr. Vance’s office obtained Mr. Trump’s tax records and other underlying financial documents in February. They were released over Mr. Trump’s objections after a lengthy legal battle that culminated in a ruling from the United States Supreme Court.
    So, yeah, we're seeing effects from that. That SCOTUS ruling was Feb 22. Six weeks later, it's clear they've found enough probable cause to broaden the search.

The prosecutors have also questioned Mr. Weisselberg’s former daughter-in-law, Jennifer Weisselberg, she has said. Ms. Weisselberg has been enmeshed in a bitter divorce with Mr. Weisselberg’s son, Barry, who manages the Trump Wollman Rink in Central Park.

Ms. Weisselberg said in an interview that prosecutors have asked her about a number of gifts that Mr. Trump and his company gave the Weisselberg family over the years. These include an apartment on Central Park South for Ms. Weisselberg and her former husband, cars leased for several family members and private school tuition.

The scrutiny of the gifts appears to be part of an effort to paint a picture of Mr. Weisselberg’s financial life, as is common when prosecutors seek cooperation from a potential witness. It is unclear whether prosecutors suspect any wrongdoing related to the gifts.
    Man, we have seen a lot of Republicans giving expensive gifts that, I'm just going to guess here, weren't reported on taxes.

The article goes on for some time, I'll sum some of it up.

One thing it notes is that Deutsche Bank may have given Trump benefits he didn't deserve -- possibly because they subcontracted, possibly because their own employees broke company protocol (see also "bribes").

Another, the NYTimes article spends 4 paragraphs reminding us about Cohen, but none of it is new. This isn't a work of fiction where foreshadowing is called for. Why spend four paragaraphs telling their readers something their readers have surely known for two-three years? I think the NYTimes has more leads they're running down, but aren't sure they want to publish them yet. Stay tuned.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    So Trump is being sued.

"You already posted that. Like, so many times."

Well, this is new.

"Is it the defamation case?"

No. It's the murderous insurrection.

"I thought we already knew about that?"

He's being sued by two of the survivors directly.

I also saw a comment (not in that source but one of the many) suggesting Trump would try to fight the lawsuit with campaign donations. Doing this would admit that this was a campaign event -- and, therefore, planned. This, in turn, would open the door to other civil and legal actions with "he planned it" being official evidence.

- - - Updated - - -

N.Y. Seeks Trump Insider’s Records, in Apparent Bid to Gain Cooperation

This is a NYTimes article, so I'll quote most of it because paywall.

Also known as "pulling a Cohen".

So, yeah, we're seeing effects from that. That SCOTUS ruling was Feb 22. Six weeks later, it's clear they've found enough probable cause to broaden the search.

Man, we have seen a lot of Republicans giving expensive gifts that, I'm just going to guess here, weren't reported on taxes.

The article goes on for some time, I'll sum some of it up.

One thing it notes is that Deutsche Bank may have given Trump benefits he didn't deserve -- possibly because they subcontracted, possibly because their own employees broke company protocol (see also "bribes").

Another, the NYTimes article spends 4 paragraphs reminding us about Cohen, but none of it is new. This isn't a work of fiction where foreshadowing is called for. Why spend four paragaraphs telling their readers something their readers have surely known for two-three years? I think the NYTimes has more leads they're running down, but aren't sure they want to publish them yet. Stay tuned.
    I've been watching this for a bit, and the new developments are fantastic. I'm hoping that these inquiries affect Weisselberg's kids. I say that, not to be cruel, but because this guy is life-time Trump, and I don't see him flipping to avoid jail time. However, if his kids were facing jail time and bankruptcy, that might flip him.

And I hope these inquiries spear the Trump kids as well - since Eric and the younger Donald Jr (I bet lil Eric has some serious issues with that all by itself) were both running the Trump Organization and/or were officers at the time the illegalities took place.

I'm also curious to see how those suits against Trump personally for the insurrection violence play out, given he was President at the time.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...f-flies-478811

Inside the ‘Lord of the Flies’ factionalism now plaguing Trumpland
    Distrust, whisper campaigns and a bit of backstabbing are rampant as aides scramble for access and power.
    I don't want to spoil anything because this is quite a read, so just posting the headline/subhead for now.

Remember how we all joke about how Trumpworld would largely be unable to find gainful employment post-presidency, so they'd all act like male angler fish and try to burrow into Trump's ample flesh, or the ample flesh of other Republicans, as their last resort for a career? Seems like that's happenin.

Edit: I'll leave this gem though -

Right now, it’s like a daycare if you took all the adults away. There’s virtually nobody with organizational skills left
    Last edited by Edge-; 2021-04-01 at 06:48 PM.

Wednesday's report:

68,756 new cases, about 1.5k more than last Wednesday. Not a huge increase all things considered, but still an increase.

Top 6:

New York: 8,628 new cases; 87 deaths
    Michigan: 7,107 new cases; 11 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Pennsylvania: 4,223 new cases; 44 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,672 new cases; 75 deaths
    Texas: 3,058 new cases; 25 deaths (coughcoughbullshit)

No real surprises. The trends from last week are continuing, which unfortunately includes Michigan's numbers continuing to climb. I've been reading that Wisconsin is also on the verge of increasing again but so far that's not being born out in the numbers but it wouldn't be surprising if all of Michigan's neighbors start seeing increases soon enough. New York and other parts of New England are likely poised to start increasing more quickly as well but so far it's been a very slight incline. Basically anywhere that's seen the more contagious UK version of the virus are probably going to start running into trouble. Hopefully with Biden's vaccination push going so well--as opposed to, you know, just saying it's going to go away by Easter--the forthcoming wave won't be as disastrous as the last.

1,115 deaths is about 300 fewer than last Wednesday and brings the total to 565,256. As with last week I don't believe for a moment that Texas' numbers suddenly went from ~150 to 25. Expect that to be an undercount that's quietly corrected later. The 7-day average for deaths has dipped below 1k for a few days now and should still drop a bit even as new cases starts heading back up. While vaccinations aren't 100% proof against infection the evidence continues to suggest that people who are vaccinated should have reduced severity in their symptoms if they're unlucky enough to catch it still, so that should also help keep deaths down. Fingers crossed.

Related news:

Sarah Palin urges mask use after revealing Covid-19 diagnosis--I'm sure this was already brought up but c'mooooon. Why is it the GOP can't seem to urge mask use UNTIL they contract the deadly virus?

Republicans trumpet elements of Covid-19 relief bill they voted against--This has been a recurring theme ever since Democrats got Biden's COVID-19 bill passed. Taking a page from Trump's playbook of creating/exacerbating a problem then patting themselves on the back for a solution they weren't a part of. Fuck them.

Hope this new delayed version of reports is palatable to y'all. Just needed to change things up in order to get accurate info out there while not risking my health for it.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    update words!
    Appreciate the updates. I'm kinda happy to see that CA isn't in the top of that list anymore, though I doubt we're far behind. I'm just worried about some of the different mutations floating about, still : /

Appreciate the updates. I'm kinda happy to see that CA isn't in the top of that list anymore, though I doubt we're far behind. I'm just worried about some of the different mutations floating about, still : /
    California's 8th with about 2.5k and after steadily declining is plateauing at about there for now. And yes, the mutations are what we're racing against right now. Getting as many people vaccinated as quickly as possible is key in mitigating things.

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/statu...79379677597698

WATER WHLIE WAITING IN LINE?! What a barrel of laughs from folks who have never had to wait 5+ hours to vote, who think waiting to vote, which is a Constitutionally protected right, is no different than waiting in line at a baseball game. Fuck these ghouls.

10+ Year Old Account

WATER WHLIE WAITING IN LINE?! What a barrel of laughs from folks who have never had to wait 5+ hours to vote, who think waiting to vote, which is a Constitutionally protected right, is no different than waiting in line at a baseball game. Fuck these ghouls.
    They don’t stand in any fucking lines... they don’t vote at polling places... what ridiculous clowns... they vote absentee, just like every celebrity. If they kept talking, we would have gotten a new version of Trump thinking we need ID to buy groceries. Conservative version of populism... unbelievable...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

10+ Year Old Account

The fucked up part is they're not even arguing the legality of it. They're just poking fun in a completely nonsensical way. And yet people will eat that up.

Did you get free water while standing in line at a stadium? No? Well did anyone tell you they weren't allowed to give water to people standing around for hours? No? There ya go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Did you get free water while standing in line at a stadium? No? Well did anyone tell you they weren't allowed to give water to people standing around for hours? No? There ya go.
    No, I don’t remember if I got water standing in line for tickers at sporting or music events... since the last time I did that, instead of buying them online, was 1999... literally the last century... Hey, maybe we can do that with voting? :/
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Water doled out at a football game or baseball game?
    Hmm...usually beer.
    ...an idea for a polling/voting spot, but probably not a good one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Water doled out at a football game or baseball game?
    Hmm...usually beer.
    ...an idea for a polling/voting spot, but probably not a good one.
    Lol, that's how the founding fathers did it.

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/wa...ers-with-booze

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Most places you’re supposed to be sober when you vote.
    Supposed to be...but 2016 may have been a challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    As Trump's takeover and intended destruction of the Republican Party went on, many of us predicted that some would claim to be the last sane person left in the party.

This is now being monetized.

Former House Speaker John Boehner tore into right-wing media and what he called the GOP's "crazy caucus" in a book excerpt published by Politico Friday, targeting Sen. Ted Cruz, Fox News' Sean Hannity and the late Roger Ailes, and former Rep. Michele Bachmann.

Boehner seeks to cast himself in his new memoir, titled “On the House: A Washington Memoir," as one of the last leaders of the GOP's sensible conservative movement, before the party was co-opted by Donald Trump and other members who dedicated themselves to "wedge issues and conspiracies and crusades."
    And as always, the question is "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO SOMETHING?" But we've already answered that over and over.

Boehner recalls how he "got all kinds of shit" for stating, as a matter of fact, that the state of Hawaii said President Obama was born there — writing that "you would have thought I’d called Ronald Reagan a communist."

"All of this crap swirling around was going to make it tough for me to cut any deals with Obama as the new House Speaker. Of course, it has to be said that Obama didn’t help himself much either. He could come off as lecturing and haughty. He still wasn’t making Republican outreach a priority. But on the other hand—how do you find common cause with people who think you are a secret Kenyan Muslim traitor to America?"
    The article I linked goes on to include Hannity, Cruz, etc. But again, we all saw this coming. Every Republican no longer in power is going to claim they were the only one trying to stop Trump. And, well, they're pretty much all lying, cowards, or both. If as many Republcians opposed Trump as say they oppose Trump, the last four years would have played out differently.

The article I linked goes on to include Hannity, Cruz, etc. But again, we all saw this coming. Every Republican no longer in power is going to claim they were the only one trying to stop Trump. And, well, they're pretty much all lying, cowards, or both. If as many Republcians opposed Trump as say they oppose Trump, the last four years would have played out differently.
    But you have to show the Cruz quote, because it's SO delicious!!
    "There is nothing more dangerous than a reckless asshole who thinks he is smarter than everyone else. Ladies and gentlemen, meet Senator Ted Cruz."

As Trump's takeover and intended destruction of the Republican Party went on, many of us predicted that some would claim to be the last sane person left in the party.

And as always, the question is "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO SOMETHING?" But we've already answered that over and over.

I don't give Boehner much credit but it was clear near the end before he quit that he realized he had zero influence/control over his caucus and was just sick of their BS and flipped them the bird on the way out the door.

Did the weed bux dry up from whatever company he was shilling for, for a while? They must have.

Boehner will forever be remembered as the feckless, weak, pathetic loser to let the Tea Party/Freedom Caucus "cuck" him hard and grow to a frightening level of influence and power under his Speakership.

He was a terrible Speaker, and remains a terrible human being.