10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time to play Guess the Speaker!

I once said the party of Lincoln and Reagan is off taking a nap. The nap has become a nightmare for our nation. The GOP must awaken. The invasion of our Capitol by a mob, incited by lies from some entrusted with power, is a disgrace to all who sacrificed to build our Republic.
    "That could literally be any Republican other than Trump or possibly Gaetz."

It's former House Speaker John Boehner (ROH-ROH-ROH-your boat), the day after the murderous insurrection.

In addition to almost immediately condemning the attack in public, he also apparently discussed it in even stronger language in an email group of friends he calls...uh...

(checks source)

No, that can't be right.

(re-checks news)

No, that can't possibly be right.

(re-re-re-oh-god-inception checks news)

A group he calls...I swear I'm not making this up..."Boehnerland".

(sighs)

No, really. The literal very first article I found on the name was Keeping a Stiff Upper Lip in Boehnerland. I mean...the hell am I supposed to do with this?

Moving on.

Following through, Boehner tells USA TODAY

I don't think it was just about him showing up at a rally on Jan. 6th. The comments that were made all summer about the election was going to be stolen from him, all the follow-up noise that occurred after the election – I kept looking for the facts.

What struck me, especially after the election, was, here's all these people loyal to Donald Trump, and he abused them. He stepped all over their loyalty to him by continuing to say things that just weren't true.
    Boehner went on to say that history will judge Trump "not very well".

Boehner speaks with the confidence of someone who declared in 2019 they weren't running for Republican re-election and could therefore say things about Trump such as "he said things that are objectively false" without being dragged through the streets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    I'm not invested enough to feign--
    Failure to answer. Metaphorical mallet to the head. Defend your original statement, or admit you said something you couldnt' back up.

"Sure, why not?" is not an answer to "Pick A or B".

Oh, and don't try the "you didn't understand" when I posted what you quoted, and how you responded to what you quoted, then answer a "Pick A or B" question with "Sure, why not?" Mallets don't run out of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Also that “medical point” is worth about 500,000 American lives.
    Obviously those 500,000 don't count. Why? 'Cause they would've died anyway. They were all afflicted with the pre-existing incurable ailment of human mortality, so it was just a matter of time for them all.

Now if you want to talk about the four in Benghazi THEN we can discuss a true great disaster of catastrophic proportions.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Didn't he randomly bomb some middle eastern county? I admit it's kinda old hat but it annoyed someone. Like I said give him some time or his vice president some time if/when he dies.
    First we really don't have to worry about Biden starting a war with Iran because some racist staffer wants to start a war.
    Biden is bombing Syria but who isn't at this point? Not joking but who isn't bombing Syria because it looks to me that every country with some sort of army is kind of involved in Syria at this point because Syria turned in a shit show. Between Kurdish armies trying to start a new country which Turkey will never accept, between terrorist groups using Syria to attack other countries which those countries then retaliate, between Assad bombing his own citizens with Russian help. And then you have US doing something.
    Shitshow

Furthermore what's happening in Syria is a accumulation actions, actions taken by US Presidents like trying to start a random war, whatever Obama did or Biden does might arguably not be helpful but overal there actions never really are the cause of the conflict to begin with. You could argue that what Obama did was not helpful overall but you can't blame him for the mess itself, you have Bush to thank for.
    Trump on the other hand tried to cause a mess but thankfully cooler heads prevailed (leaders of Iran)

Sunday's quick report, with 13 states not giving ANY numbers:

47,874 new cases, 276 deaths, bringing the total to 575,829. It's really bordering on grossly irresponsible how many more states--including North Carolina, Michigan and Tennessee, states with a larger population--continue to skip the important daily reports.

Michigan's COVID cases surge to alarming levels, but governor rejects new mandates--Just plain stupid. But this is the worst:

Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says she will not issue new mandates to blunt the outbreak, relying instead on the common sense of a citizenry now experienced in struggling with the deadly virus for over a year.
    "Common sense" is an oxymoron and everyone knows that.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    "Gov. Gretchen Whitmer says she will not issue new mandates to blunt the outbreak"
    Ah, yes, I am sure this will be met with the same quiet, dignity and grace that it was last time.

You know, between them and Florida it's amazing to see lack of self-awareness in full display by the rabid fanbase. Their actions are causing cases and deaths to swell at a time they should be dropping.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sunday's quick report, with 13 states not giving ANY numbers:

47,874 new cases, 276 deaths, bringing the total to 575,829. It's really bordering on grossly irresponsible how many more states--including North Carolina, Michigan and Tennessee, states with a larger population--continue to skip the important daily reports.

Michigan's COVID cases surge to alarming levels, but governor rejects new mandates--Just plain stupid. But this is the worst:

Stay safe, folks.
    If “common sense” had been enough to stop the virus then we wouldn’t be in this situation a year later.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saying people learned common sense in a year... doesn’t make sense... if it’s learned by the public over a year, it’s not common sense... it’s learned behavior.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

If “common sense” had been enough to stop the virus then we wouldn’t be in this situation a year later.
    Common Sense isn’t really that common with too many flavors of it omitting facts and reality when it conflicts with the conclusion they want to reach regardless of the conclusion that is actually there.

We only need to look at how many actually believe GOP economic policy’s that require them not know the tax code, which is spelled out in black and white effectively, just to think what they do.

Also why I think taxes and accounting should be made a core requirement for a high school diploma along with classes teaching critical thinking skills.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Ah, yes, I am sure this will be met with the same quiet, dignity and grace that it was last time.

You know, between them and Florida it's amazing to see lack of self-awareness in full display by the rabid fanbase. Their actions are causing cases and deaths to swell at a time they should be dropping.
    I feel for Whitmer. She’s dammed if she does and damned if she doesn’t. Her constituents stormed the capital last time she tried to protect them.

Personally, as a Floridian, I’m ok with letting people who think this is a hoax and tried to destroy the country, to be exposed to the virus.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    And yet Trump raised 200M from his sheep and sure not everything went to himself but even potentially he's received huge sums over the years that Trump can use to pay off his personal debt.
    Just saying, don't dismiss Trump and how well he can scam his followers to pay off his debts.
    That was my contention that started this line of discussion: he's likely not actually broke (or at least, in immediate danger of losing everything as he was before) after the stop the steal scam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I've also never had to suck up to a sociopath or his psychotic followers.
    See, that's the problem with allowing the Republican Party to become the Party of Trump. I'll keep spinning this broken record until it stops playing, but the GOP had their chance to stop this, multiple times. And we don't see any active Republican doing such -- only the retiring/retired ones. Boehner had his chance, for example, and now he's writing the "I was the only sane voice just like fifty other people" book.

Gaetz is active. His choices are to cling to the Party of Trump, or fail. Of course, he didn't just cling, he grabbed it by the pussy, so maybe not the best example. Until Trump rejects him, in which case, it's popcorn time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    I feel for Whitmer. She’s dammed if she does and damned if she doesn’t.
    Yeah, the amount of "how DARE you try to protect me from my own stupidity!" seems extra high in that state. I would say it's personal bias because I know people there, but @Benggaul has proven it's not just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    That kinda depends on how in debt he is. If that $200M doesn't cover his debts it's not like he's actually flush in cash.
    I say contention, but I couched it in different terms, with much less certainty. Paraphrasing, "I'm not so sure he's dead broke after that scam." I have a feeling a lot is going to depend on the NY investigation into tax/bank fraud, as far as his solvency goes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

10+ Year Old Account
    I feel for Whitmer. She’s dammed if she does and damned if she doesn’t. Her constituents stormed the capital last time she tried to protect them.

Personally, as a Floridian, I’m ok with letting people who think this is a hoax and tried to destroy the country, to be exposed to the virus.
    The only problem is that their stupidity can infect others who can’t get the vaccine or, if enough people refuse to get vaccinated, create a vector in which a new virus mutates that’s immune to the vaccines we currently have.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    And I'm pretty sure, even if you found any of those, they'd be a half-hearted "both sides do it" attempt to compare events different by orders of magnitude. For example, maybe you'll find the time Biden erred way too far on the side of caution and suggested one sneeze could infect a whole plane. Well, gosh, hasn't COVID shown us that Biden's factually incorrect statement was still the safer move than Trump's push for packed crhuches in Easter.

So, don't bother hunting through old files to find the time Vice-President Biden pardoned war criminals (yeah, good luck with that one) or anything else you "vaguely remember". There's four years plus of context waiting with whack-a-mole mallets to beat any attempt at "both sides do it" into the ground until it's bleeding from both ears and probably the ass, depending on which end of the mallet I feel like using.

You're not the first to try "both sides do it" and comparing a jaywalker to a serial killer. You won't be the last.

P.S. I'm going to add "defended literal torch-carrying Nazis" to @Kaleredar 's list. And, in fact, I'm going to ask you to start with that one. Because honestly, any attempt to say Trump and Biden have "the exact same policies" then you're going to have to start with the extremes. When the villain says to the hero "we're almost the same, you and I" it is not followed with "we're both carbon-based life forms and are 70% water".

So start with the Nazis. Take 24 hours. Take a week. Take a month. Thing is, I already know where you're going, and it's "jaywalker vs. mass murderer". The mallet is raised, go ahead, stick your head up through the hole.
    I think you @‘ed the wrong person, as I don’t recall defending torch carrying nazis or supporting anyone like trump that did.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you @‘ed the wrong person, as I don’t recall defending torch carrying nazis or supporting anyone like trump that did.
    No, the person I was quoting was the target. I was just dog piling. Sorry that it wasn't clear.

The only problem is that their stupidity can infect others who can’t get the vaccine or, if enough people refuse to get vaccinated, create a vector in which a new virus mutates that’s immune to the vaccines we currently have.
    I'm of the belief that getting covid at this point in time is mostly (read: not 100%) a person's own fault. We are at the point that if you wear a mask and socially distance and don't make absurd choices you'll likely not get it. If there's a person that refuses to wear a mask and refuses to get the vaccine, then there's nothing left for me to care about with them as a person. I can't force them to do any of it, so the best I can hope for, is that they get it and remove themselves from the gene pool. I want herd immunity from stupidity as much as possible and as quickly as possible.

I can't stop it from mutating, but it would have to be a pretty significant mutation at this point to render the vaccines useless, if I understand the science behind the vaccine (which I'll admit I may not.)
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/12/trum...ate-award.html

Feel like this may have been covered but...is anyone else amused that Republicans literally gave Trump a participation trophy?

I had that same sentiment a few weeks ago, but it's gone on long enough and the spikes are way out of control.

If the idiots only got themselves harmed maybe I'd still be feeling charitable, but at some point you have to take charge--again--and be the adult in the room when the children are destroying the entire class.

I had that same sentiment a few weeks ago, but it's gone on long enough and the spikes are way out of control.

If the idiots only got themselves harmed maybe I'd still be feeling charitable, but at some point you have to take charge--again--and be the adult in the room when the children are destroying the entire class.
    But again, they will literally destroy the class room another way and have already shown that. She's forced to choose between them violently storming the capital again and people literally choosing to get covid. There's a vaccine and effective safety measures to protect yourself from covid....less so a violent insurrection.
    Last edited by Bodakane; 2021-04-12 at 06:09 PM.

But again, they will literally destroy the class room another way and have already shown that. She's forced to choose between them violently storming the capital again and people literally choosing to get covid. There's a vaccine and effective safety measures to protect yourself from covid....less so a violent insurrection.
    The safety measures are to protect others as much as they are for yourself and as robust as Biden's vaccine rollout has been there are still many millions of people who do not yet have access. In high-population states/areas that means the safety measures need to be enforced. Throwing your hands up and saying "welp, stupid people would still be stupid if I did my job" isn't an option when you're governor. Relaxing those measures was a dumb move and refusing to do anything further to correct that mistake is doubly dumb.

We're never going to get through Covid.

Poll shows vast majority of Republicans trust Trump for medical advice over CDC, Biden and Fauci

Republicans were also the least likely of any respondents to say they will get vaccinated when they become eligible to receive the Covid-19 vaccine, with 40 percent saying they will not get the shot.