Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I'm not asking you to replace "Fuck Florida" because that stopped being funny around oh wait it's still funny.

But what's the term here? Y'all know my feelings about the split between Whitmer and her maskphobic contrarian nonvoters demanding her removal while begging to get sick and die, making "failed their Constitution saves" the best pun ever ever shut up yes it is. So what variant of "Fuck Florida" applies here?
    Well, the reason I started saying "Fuck Florida" was because of the leadership's refusal to report the truth. When their numbers started drifting far, FAR away from reality I had no more patience with their bullshit. I also believe, despite my disapproval of Whitmer's actions the past month, that she is still trying to figure out a way to get as many people through it as possible. DeathSantis, on the other hand, clearly only cared about making the numbers seem as small as possible so as not to shut down Florida's businesses--and lucrative tourism economy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    DeathSantis, on the other hand, clearly only cared about making the numbers seem as small as possible so as not to shut down Florida's businesses--and lucrative tourism economy.
    Fortunately, it didn't work. Not entirely.

Epidemic Expert Confirms Where DeSantis' COVID Stats Went Wrong

[url=https://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/editorials/article249701743.htmlFlorida blocked public access to COVID data. Now there’s even more it wants to keep secret from taxpayers [/url]

And this story is about how Florida's per-capita numbers are about the national average, as is the Florida economy. And his poll numbers are up.

In other words, DeSantis lied to his people, got basically nothing to show for it, and they love him for it.

The cyniacal side of me thinks DeSantis tried like hell to keep spring break, cruise lines, and other vacation hotspots open so that other states would send their people to Florida, and return before they showed symptoms, effectively poisoning other states so his would look better.

10+ Year Old Account
    The cyniacal side of me thinks DeSantis tried like hell to keep spring break, cruise lines, and other vacation hotspots open so that other states would send their people to Florida, and return before they showed symptoms, effectively poisoning other states so his would look better.
    I think we said as much... last year.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Mike Pence to write book and release it in 2023, suggesting it's anti-Trump.

"Whoa, what the fuck? You can't possibly know that."

Maybe not, but let's pretend the book is two hundred pages of "the Republicans are all nice and bigly and yuge and none of them, not even Trump, ever did anything wrong ever ever ever". Why not release it in 2022? Pence is a lot of things, but he's not an idiot. He can get a book written and published in months if he wants to. The Senate is 50/50. Pence doesn't want to risk that yet, but he's probably ready to keep Trump from running in 2024, losing again and probably by more since the guy who murdered half a million Americans with COVID running against the guy who fixed the economy will be that one-sided -- more so, if Trump is in jail or dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mike Pence to write book and release it in 2023, suggesting it's anti-Trump.

"Whoa, what the fuck? You can't possibly know that."

Maybe not, but let's pretend the book is two hundred pages of "the Republicans are all nice and bigly and yuge and none of them, not even Trump, ever did anything wrong ever ever ever". Why not release it in 2022? Pence is a lot of things, but he's not an idiot. He can get a book written and published in months if he wants to. The Senate is 50/50. Pence doesn't want to risk that yet, but he's probably ready to keep Trump from running in 2024, losing again and probably by more since the guy who murdered half a million Americans with COVID running against the guy who fixed the economy will be that one-sided -- more so, if Trump is in jail or dead.
    It's could very well be a pro-Trump book scheduled to coincide with the ramping up of his 2024 election candidacy...

...but probably not, though.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not asking you to replace "Fuck Florida" because that stopped being funny around oh wait it's still funny.

But what's the term here? Y'all know my feelings about the split between Whitmer and her maskphobic contrarian nonvoters demanding her removal while begging to get sick and die, making "failed their Constitution saves" the best pun ever ever shut up yes it is. So what variant of "Fuck Florida" applies here?

Anyhow, Ivanka and her creepy perv father are now both vaccinated so make sure any of you with Trump supporter mask deniers still in your friends list, make sure you post that where they can see it. My relatives in Alabama have gone quiet and it's as welcome as it is hilarious.
    As someone who lived in that forsaken wintery hellscape I submit: Motherfucker Michigan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    ...but probably not, though.
    I agree. Pence is an informed, experienced veteran. He knows Trump is probably too old, probably too sick, definitely too fat, and definitely too tired to run again. Plus Trump might be broke, in jail, or dead by 2023. Plus, by all accounts we've seen, after Trump ordered a crowd of murderouis insurrectionists to break into Congress and kill Pence, Pence owes Trump zero to negative favors. Plus, Pence saw the damage Trump did both personally and unilaterally. Sat there like a potted plant the whole time. In 2016 he should have guessed Trump would be bad for the country. By now, he doesn't have to guess.

But he knows Trump is outraising the RNC and the Senate is 50/50. So Pence will do what Trump would do: pretend to like Trump until he has all of Trump's money, then discard Trump when Trump is no longer useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Maybe the heart problems are slowing him down. Didn’t he just have a pacemaker put in?
    Oddly enough, that was the headline of the article I posted, yes. At least it proves he has one.

Or, he's Terminator Salvation.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey remember when pretty much everyone that threw away their life's work to side with Trump got dragged into court for all that stuff they did?

Good times...good times...

Liberty Liberty Liberty, Liberty, sues Falwell for $10 million dollars.

"Paywall."

That's why you pay me the big bucks.

The suit, filed on Thursday, alleges breach of contract and fiduciary duty. It claims that Mr. Falwell withheld scandalous and potentially damaging information from Liberty’s board of trustees, while negotiating a generous new contract for himself in 2019 under false pretenses. Mr. Falwell also failed to disclose and address “his personal impairment by alcohol,” the suit alleges.
    Huh. And here I thought Trump would fight to protect pre-existing conditions.

The university filed the suit on the same day that its board of trustees arrived in Lynchburg, Va., for its semiannual meeting, at which they are set to discuss the university’s future, including its search for a permanent leader. Jerry Prevo, a close associate of Mr. Falwell’s father and the former pastor of a large church in Alaska, has been serving as interim president since August. Mr. Prevo is also a member of the board’s powerful executive committee.

The suit is likely to rattle that normally placid gathering, which Mr. Falwell had used to dazzle the board with flashy presentations about Liberty’s growth and influence under his leadership. The suit alleges that Mr. Falwell deceived the board’s executive committee into redesigning his contract to include a higher severance payout if he resigned for “good reason” or if Liberty terminated his contract without cause. Mr. Falwell claimed to the committee that this would serve as a “safety valve” for both him and the university if his full-throated support of former President Donald J. Trump proved damaging to the school’s reputation.

The real reason for negotiating the deal, the suit claims, was to protect against the possibility that Giancarlo Granda, the former pool attendant who had the affair with Ms. Falwell, would publicly reveal his relationship with the family.

The suit says Falwell “improperly and errantly” told the press he was owed $10.5 million after his departure in August. His severance should have been $2.5 million, or two years’ salary under the higher salary he negotiated in 2019, the suit claims. “Liberty was unsure if Falwell Jr.’s representation to the media was just puffery and bragging or some attempt to set up a claim for additional compensation,” the suit says.

The suit also claims that Mr. Falwell used a non-Liberty email address and personal devices to conduct university business. Although Liberty paid for the devices and confidential university information is stored on them, Mr. Falwell has refused to return them or to provide access codes, the university alleges. The school is working with an independent forensic accounting firm to investigate its operations under Mr. Falwell; that investigation is ongoing.
    Make a note of that bolded. I'll be referring to it shortly.

The suit includes new details about the family yacht outing in 2020 that led to Mr. Falwell’s suspension before his resignation.

In early August, Mr. Falwell posted a photo to his Instagram account in which his pants were unbuttoned and he had his arm around a pregnant Liberty employee who had her belly exposed. Mr. Falwell was holding what appeared to be an alcoholic beverage; his caption joked that it was “just black water.” The suit claims that Ms. Falwell took the photograph against the objections of the employee and her husband, Mr. Falwell’s personal assistant. Mr. Falwell promised not to show the photo to others, but later posted it to his public Instagram account.

After Mr. Falwell embarked on a disastrous attempt to explain himself in the media, Ms. Falwell privately contacted three members of the executive committee to express concerns about her husband’s excessive drinking, the suit alleges. Her “heartfelt appeal” convinced Liberty’s leaders to look sympathetically on Mr. Falwell’s erratic behavior, and to allow him to take a sabbatical, with a stint in rehab to be paid for by the university.
    Isn't that what Gaetz is trying?

The suit against Mr. Falwell also criticizes what it characterizes as his broader failure to uphold the spiritual and moral responsibilities of his role as president of the Christian college founded by his father, Jerry Falwell Sr., in 1971. The school’s bylaws, which Mr. Falwell affirmed in 2019, state that the school’s president “provides spiritual and worldview leadership to the University in pursuit of excellence.”

Liberty students pledge to avoid alcohol, immodest behavior and sex outside of heterosexual marriage. By contrast, the suit points out, the Falwells “frequented Miami-area clubs” and socialized in “high-energy social establishments.”
    That's three blatant acts of hypocrisy in one lawsuit. That calls for an OH GOD INCEPTION.

There's more in the article, but I think that's the impoirtant new stuff. Incidentally, Liberty is also suing the above-cited NYTimes for saying they handled things poorly. Um, if the head of your "university" (sarcastic quotes due to Trump supporter) violates all your rules so badly that you fired him and sued him, can you really claim "they handled it poorly" is a lie?

- - - Updated - - -

More court news! @cubby must be so fucking thrilled because yeah I'm going to ask for help again.

The founder of the Oath Keepers, a Trump-supporting armed right-wing terrorist group whoops redundant, abruptly asked for a plea deal today, changing their plea to "guilty and willing to help prosecutors".

While it's highly unlikely Trump or his direct employees ordered the Oath Keepers to attack and murder people, it is moderately likely they coordinated with others who showed up, like the Proud Boys. And as this is the leader of the Oath Keepers, he has nobody directly above him to turn on -- but he might have leaders of other groups in his message list.

He's also the first to plead guilty, apparently.

The founder of the Oath Keepers, a Trump-supporting armed right-wing terrorist group whoops redundant, abruptly asked for a plea deal today, changing their plea to "guilty and willing to help prosecutors".
    Whoa, I didn't realize that guitarist from Iced Earth was a founding member of the Oath Keepers! Crazy! I've never listened to them ... I wonder if there's crazy right wing crap hidden in their lyrics?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    More court news! @cubby must be so fucking thrilled because yeah I'm going to ask for help again.

While it's highly unlikely Trump or his direct employees ordered the Oath Keepers to attack and murder people, it is moderately likely they coordinated with others who showed up, like the Proud Boys. And as this is the leader of the Oath Keepers, he has nobody directly above him to turn on -- but he might have leaders of other groups in his message list.

He's also the first to plead guilty, apparently.
    I'm never going to be holding my breath waiting for Trump to face actual charges, or more importantly consequences, for his inciting of an insurrection, but this flip will certainly help the prosecution's goal of seeing just how far the conspiracy to violence charges can play out.

If this guy can help the federal prosecutors get a full picture of the communications that occurred prior to Jan 6, between various groups involved in the set up, we could be seeing some far more serious charges - including a possible Racketeering charge to cover those people who might otherwise slip free of consequences.

Moreover, we might get some better insight into which members of Congress helped set up the violent outcome of Jan 6.

Thursday's report (sorry it's late; I got held up):

74,479 new cases, about 6k fewer than last Thursday.

Top 5:

Michigan: 7,191 new cases; 123 deaths
    New York: 7,151 new cases; 63 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    Pennsylvania: 5,126 new cases; 43 deaths
    New Jersey: 3,917 new cases; 47 deaths

Good to see the numbers a bit lower this time around, though as per usual we'll have to wait and see if it's the start of a new trend or just a fluke. I've seen no "correction" from New York as of yet which leads me to believe things may be improving there (and hopefully by extension the surrounding area), and today's total from Michigan is lower than last Thursday which is encouraging, but I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic.

895 deaths is around 150 fewer than last Thursday and brings the total to 578,993. Unsurprisingly this tally is rising in Michigan, topping 100. This will get worse before it gets better there.

Related news:

Biden working to ensure U.S. will have booster COVID-19 shots, if necessary--Really continues to be a stark change between the "nothing to worry about, it'll just dissappear" Trump administration to Biden's expansion of vaccine production and speedy rollout. It's nice to have someone in charge who is also planning for the future.

Stay safe, folks.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wanted to also add, that with the "flip" of the leader of the Oath Keeps (does he get a sword too? anyone? Bueller?), all of their communications will more than likely be made available to federal prosecutors.

What does that mean?

It means that any other groups that were unknown are now on the investigatory chopping block - and if there is any hint of conspiracy to insurrect (so to speak) then the DoJ can go after them. And so and so on. Back in the Soviet era of cold war spying, when an agent flipped or was discovered, this would called walking down the rat line, which seems very apt for these nut jobs.

https://twitter.com/GOPLeader/status...58647266611203

America is built on the idea that we are all created equal and success is earned through honest, hard work. It isn’t built on identity, race, or religion.
    The Republican Party is the party of Lincoln & the party of more opportunity for all Americans—not nativist dog whistles.
    House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

And you know what, I believe him. He's telling the truth that the Republican party is not the party of nativist dog whistles.

Because they stopped using whistles about a half a decade ago and are just like, pretty explicit about it nowadays.

Also, someone tell him to repost this without the religion mention, I think he's gonna piss off some members of his caucus by saying it wasn't built on religion.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...r-unpaid-taxes

Damn shame Trump didn't blanket pardon Roger Stone for every crime he committed, DOJ is going after him for unpaid taxes. And quite a lot of unpaid taxes, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/GOPLeader/status...58647266611203

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

And you know what, I believe him. He's telling the truth that the Republican party is not the party of nativist dog whistles.

Because they stopped using whistles about a half a decade ago and are just like, pretty explicit about it nowadays.

Also, someone tell him to repost this without the religion mention, I think he's gonna piss off some members of his caucus by saying it wasn't built on religion.

- - - Updated - - -

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...r-unpaid-taxes

Damn shame Trump didn't blanket pardon Roger Stone for every crime he committed, DOJ is going after him for unpaid taxes. And quite a lot of unpaid taxes, too.
    So, just like Al Capone, they are going to get him on taxes? Funny.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    unpaid taxes
    Because of course he does.

Quote Originally Posted by postman1782 View Post
    So, just like Al Capone, they are going to get him on taxes? Funny.
    Even the Joker knows to pay his taxes. The IRS always gets their man. Always.

Friday's report:

81,773 new cases; about 4k fewer than last Friday. Good shit.

Top 5:

Michigan: 9,850 new cases; 41 deaths
    Fuck Florida.
    New York: 6,736 new cases; 64 deaths
    Pennsylvania: 5,547 new cases; 56 deaths
    New Jersey: 4,381 new cases; 43 deaths

Illinois and Texas have been 6 and 7 for a few days now. Michigan is creeping up on 10k again. New York's numbers continue to be lower than the previous week indicating that the numbers of the past couple days haven't been a fluke. Florida keeps occasionally bumping up to the 2nd spot as their 7-day average continues to creep up. Fuck Florida.

887 deaths is about 50 fewer than last Friday and brings the total to 579,942. Unless things get crazy--and they very well could--we should be closing off the week without going over 1k. We wouldn't have last week except for what looks like a correction bringing the total sliiiiightly over for one day. We're still losing about 5k people per week to put things in perspective, but we were losing close to 24k people a week during the last peak.

Related news:

Worldwide COVID-19 death toll tops a staggering 3 million--And the US makes up over 1/6th of that.

Biden administration to invest $1.7 billion to fight COVID-19 variants--Another good call. One that likely would not have been made under Trump.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    And the US makes up over 1/6th of that.
    I'm sure we'll be back to 1/4th of it eventually.

Illinois and Texas have been 6 and 7 for a few days now.
    Illinois has actually gone down a tiny bit this week so maybe things aren't going to get too bad here. It's not a lot less, maybe a few percent, but definitely better than the 20-30% increases the past month has had.

And fun personal note: my brother told me he got COVID yesterday because he's a dummy and didn't know the vaccines take time to work. He got his first shot last Saturday and then started going out normally this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Illinois has actually gone down a tiny bit this week so maybe things aren't going to get too bad here. It's not a lot less, maybe a few percent, but definitely better than the 20-30% increases the past month has had.

And fun personal note: my brother told me he got COVID yesterday because he's a dummy and didn't know the vaccines take time to work. He got his first shot last Saturday and then started going out normally this week.
    Fuck. Good luck and a speedy recovery to your brother.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sure we'll be back to 1/4th of it eventually.
    I think deaths should be lower overall given Biden's vaccination push and the medical community's experience with the virus. This is contingent on us being able to get as many people vaccinated as possible before the variations get deadlier (right now they're just more contagious).