7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What really scares me about this continuation of the GOtrumP is that he will die, and probably soon, and if they make some kind of golden-calf martyr out of him, they will just continue down the batshit path of insanity, with comments on policy including "Trump would have wanted it that way", and pushing a bare-intellectual cult of deplorables into something, somehow, worse.
    They already made a golden idol of him, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    if they make some kind of golden-calf martyr out of him.
    I don't think that's likely.

Simply put, the only way Trump could sell is when Trump was selling himself. Only he could push a fraudulent, damaged product this well. Without Trump constantly telling people how good Trump is, his brand will sink. We've already seen a slow decline without his Twitter account.

My concern is, without their Orange God, they'll basically go full bandit tribes. Various Gaetz-like people will be able to hold small groups, but they'll turn on each other for their own power. And the concern is, this leads to chaos, even violence, as we've already seen is possible. A splinter group that feels they can't grow honestly will find a way to make their name by...other means.

I was hoping that the Republican Party would eventually realize there was nothing wrong with the Republican Party. Based on the above quotes, I was wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Biden --

"Wrong thread."

Nope. Biden found some of the rules Trump made about how he was allowed to kill terrorists in 2017 and disclosed most of them. While he decides which to dump and which to keep, I'll spare you the read: they're lethally vague. I'm not fluent in legalese, but they seem to say "I can hit whoever I want, if I say I have a good reason and I say there's no risk."

We appreciate this release, which confirms our fear that President Trump stripped down even the minimal safeguards President Obama established in his rules for lethal strikes outside recognized conflicts. Over four administrations, the U.S. government’s unlawful lethal strikes program has exacted an appalling toll on Muslim, Brown, and Black civilians in multiple parts of the world.

Secretive and unaccountable use of lethal force is unacceptable in a rights-respecting democracy, and this program is a cornerstone of the ‘forever wars’ President Biden has pledged to end. He needs to do so.
    -- the ACLU

"The most transparent administration ever" made rules about which people in other countries they were allowed to kill, which were less restrictive than the ones Obama had.

No poster in these forums may ever say "but Obama killed people too" ever again, without also saying "but Trump was worse". Failure to do so is admission of hypocrisy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trump outpaced Obama in drone strikes AND decided reporting on the deaths was too pesky. We may never know the full extent of the death toll, but it’s most assuredly the highest to date.
    Agreed. It would take nothing less than full, intentional hypocrisy to condemn Obama without condemning Trump for being worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This wasn’t at some random appearance, it was at their GOP convention.
    Yep, that matches with what else we've been seeing.

It's the Party of Trump. Your choices are exile, or sucking the flaccid orange dick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Yep, that matches with what else we've been seeing.

It's the Party of Trump. Your choices are exile, or sucking the flaccid orange dick.
    I do so hope that the various legal proceedings against trump are progressing at a steady pace. The gop placing all their eggs in such a criminally and civilly litigable basket could end up dealing them a massive blow if an election cycle coincides with ongoing charges being brought against trump or him being trapped in courtrooms.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I do so hope that the various legal proceedings against trump are progressing at a steady pace. The gop placing all their eggs in such a criminally and civilly litigable basket could end up dealing them a massive blow if an election cycle coincides with ongoing charges being brought against trump or him being trapped in courtrooms.
    I honestly don't believe even being brought to trial will be enough. Anyone willing to leave his base for going to trial, left when he started a murderous insurrection. That said, it would keep him from throwing rallies.

Of course, if Trump is actually found guilty and/or liable, that might work. Of course, it's too late for them. They've chosen to be the Party of Trump, as we've seen strong evidence of today. At best, the Party of Trump could carry on his ideals, but only Trump is Trump. The 10-20% loss they'd get overnight would, however, be enough to cost them some purple races.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't believe even being brought to trial will be enough. Anyone willing to leave his base for going to trial, left when he started a murderous insurrection. That said, it would keep him from throwing rallies.

Of course, if Trump is actually found guilty and/or liable, that might work. Of course, it's too late for them. They've chosen to be the Party of Trump, as we've seen strong evidence of today. At best, the Party of Trump could carry on his ideals, but only Trump is Trump. The 10-20% loss they'd get overnight would, however, be enough to cost them some purple races.
    I care less about his sycophants and more about the broader political spectrum. It’ll be a lot more difficult for moderates to lean into the party of “guy currently under persecution for numerous crimes.” And I imagine it will be incentivizing for democrats to go out and vote if the person they’re voting against is some criminal-endorsed whackadoo.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account

I doubt it would work, these people were screaming "deep state" before Trump
    If he is going to jail, they'll claim he was railroaded or something, and likely go terrorist
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

10+ Year Old Account

The money for lawyers (He'd presumably never pay?) he'd grift from the Right would be a serious drain on their war chest in the next election. So let it drag out a few years. Tap dat ass til it's dryer then Shapiro's wife.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Why younger patients are becoming severely ill with COVID-19--TL;DR: Some of it might be chalked up to mutations, but a lot of it is because younger people feel "invulnerable" to it because of their youth and are eschewing protections and precautions. Idiots.
    Or younger persons overwhelmingly work in service jobs where they have to deal with plague vector fuckwits.

Fucking none of the customers pay any attention to distancing. At least 1 in 5 can't be bothered to wear their masks properly (nose hanging out, etc.).

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    I doubt it would work, these people were screaming "deep state" before Trump
    Yes.

But only Trump mobilized an army.

It's time for another episode of It's Always Republicans....

Man Pleads Guilty to Illegal Vote for Trump, Blames 'Stupid Mistake' on 'Too Much Propaganda'

We keep finding evidence of voter fraud...just not the evidence Trump and his braindead supporters keep falsely claiming.

10+ Year Old Account
    Utah's GOP held a vote to censure Romney for daring to question Trump.

[url=https://www.axios.com/mitt-romney-censure-vote-fails-utah-gop-vote-1f4a278b-398b-4a3f-a44e-485d9d42759b.html]It failed, 711 to 798.

In a related story, 1500+ is a lot of people to convene for a vote.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a related story, 1500+ is a lot of people to convene for a vote.
    And quite telling about how many cult followers in the GOP reside in Utah.

Every passing day the Republican Party proves its end goal is to be a cartoon villain.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

Of course, if Trump is actually found guilty and/or liable, that might work.
    If he's found guilty it won't be enough. These people believe Trump was robbed of an election without any evidence backing it up. If he's found guilty it will be proof of a corrupt system trying to bring down the poor downtrodden underdog Trump once again. It was rigged against him yet again! The only way it works is if he accepts full blame for everything he's done. And let's be real here, he was literally unable to take responsibility for a TYPO.

Quote Originally Posted by Nastard View Post
    If he's found guilty it won't be enough. These people believe Trump was robbed of an election without any evidence backing it up. If he's found guilty it will be proof of a corrupt system trying to bring down the poor downtrodden underdog Trump once again. It was rigged against him yet again! The only way it works is if he accepts full blame for everything he's done. And let's be real here, he was literally unable to take responsibility for a TYPO.
    His fanatics would simply claim he was forced to make that confession under threats from evil demoncrats and deep state media and whatever they can come up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    His fanatics would simply claim he was forced to make that confession under threats from evil demoncrats and deep state media and whatever they can come up with.
    Actually I'd be okay with that. It'd be admission Trump was powerless and weak.

Saturday's quick report:

42,040 new cases; 664 deaths, bringing the total to 590,707. 15 states not reporting. Both numbers are down a decent amount from last Saturday, but given that New York is among the states that did not report (on time--first time I've seen them not have updated reports throughout the day for this whole thing) it's not as dramatic as it appears.

As time goes on it's becoming apparent that reports from Saturday to Monday are just going to become more and more inaccurate, partly due to a variety of circumstances but also due to the increased apathy of certain states/government officials. I guess the virus takes weekends off now, y'all.

Related news:

More than 101 million Americans are fully vaccinated against COVID-19--I find this more impressive than the 200 million doses. It's great news and needs to continue.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    What really scares me about this continuation of the GOtrumP is that he will die, and probably soon, and if they make some kind of golden-calf martyr out of him, they will just continue down the batshit path of insanity, with comments on policy including "Trump would have wanted it that way", and pushing a bare-intellectual cult of deplorables into something, somehow, worse.
    That's a feature™, not a bug.

Trump didn't bring any of this about. He didn't change the party. He's the excuse. He was as venal and abusive and hateful and petty and vindictive as Republicans have always secretly been since, oh, around about Nixon's era (and I honestly have difficulty including Nixon as part of this shift, but by Reagan, it was full-force). He ripped his mask off and dared anyone to judge him negatively, and Republicans adored that, because they all wanted to take their masks off and stop pretending to be decent people. It's gotta be exhausting, trying to maintain the doublethink of "fiscal conservativism" while simultaneously pushing for more wars and police hardware and drug wars and so on. To claim it's "just about finances" when their targets are inevitably ethnic minorities and LGBT people. It's so much easier and freeing to just admit you're bigoted. That's why the counters stopped being shocked "I can't be racist", and started becoming "oh yeah? You're just as racist too, commie!"

Trump represents ideological liberation. Republicans are free to publicly be who they've always been. They haven't changed, they're just being more honest about it for once. That's why they'll never give Trump up; he doesn't actually represent any kind of change in their beliefs. Just freedom from constraint. That's why they treat him as practically Christ-like; it's the same kind of saviour syndrome, to them.

Tearing Trump down is just gonna be a crucifixion equivalent. It won't stop anything. Because he was never the origin. He didn't make Republicans into anti-intellectual bigots. He just let them feel proud of it, again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I find this more impressive than the 200 million doses.
    As do I, and I realize too late I earlier said "200 million vaccinated" when that's not really true.