Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    As do I, and I realize too late I earlier said "200 million vaccinated" when that's not really true.
    You mean to say you were spreading....fake news?? *shocked*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Giuliani claims, back when he was a prosecutor "and when we used to obey the Constitution" (eyeroll) that lawyer-client documents would never be seized.

I...think we all know that's false. @cubby has spoken on the matter. Recently.

But even if we didn't have our own live-in expert, there's always this justice.gov website which details how that shit works. I'll give you a hint: it doesn't say "No you can't". And it was last updated 2016, so, before Giuliani represented the Resident.

Man, it would be a shame if it turned out Giuliani was actually quite familiar with the process, wouldn't it?

The 1983 subpoena now before us was served on Proskauer, the law firm that had represented AG during the litigation over the 1982 subpoena. The 1983 subpoena required production of all documents relating to the sale of International by AG, as part of the grand jury's investigation into a possible obstruction of justice by AG, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1503 (1982), or conspiracy to defraud the United States, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 371 (1982). Proskauer moved to quash on the grounds that the documents in question are protected either by the privilege for attorney's work-product or by the privilege for attorney-client communications. AG intervened and joined in Proskauer's motion to quash.

In an oral decision delivered on November 3, 1983, the district court denied the motion in part, ordering the production of documents relating to the sale of International, documents relating to a possible reorganization of the Marc Rich companies, and documents relating to possible forms of employee compensation for AG employees. Although the November 3 transcript is far from clear, it appears that the court ruled that all of these documents were unprivileged because they conveyed business rather than legal advice. It appears that the court also found certain of these documents unprivileged because their contents would subsequently be disclosed to AG employees. As to documents dated prior to July 7, 1983, and involving advice concerning the sale of International, the court also appears to have held that the documents were unprivileged because they related to advice rendered in furtherance of a future or continuing crime or fraud and hence lost any right to protection under the attorney-client privilege.
    And just to be clear:

Opinion

Martin J. Auerbach, Asst. U.S. Atty., New York City (Rudolph W. Giuliani, U.S. Atty., Gerard E. Lynch, Sp. Asst. U.S. Atty., New York City), for defendant-appellee.
    Even if Giuliani did not argue the case personally, it clearly was allowed while he was a prosecutor.

Obviously these cases aren't the same, and as we've seen before, there's a separate, special office the DA is supposed to call, whose job it is to look through potentially privileged stuff and say "Here's the stuff you're allowed to have". (That official title eludes me, and I did look, just not hard enough I guess) For Giuliani to say either "I never did this" or "this isn't Constitutional" is a leaking-face lie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    You mean to say you were spreading....fake news?? *shocked*.
    I mean, real journalists offer retractions. I'm not one, but I'm also trying not to be a hypocrite, either. It's a lot better for me to say "whoops" than to say "well, technically they were vaccinated because they got their first shot, and some of them got this type of vaccine, and Jupiter was in retrograde, plus Blizzard doesn't really hate melee"

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a feature™, not a bug.

Trump didn't bring any of this about. He didn't change the party. He's the excuse. He was as venal and abusive and hateful and petty and vindictive as Republicans have always secretly been since, oh, around about Nixon's era (and I honestly have difficulty including Nixon as part of this shift, but by Reagan, it was full-force). He ripped his mask off and dared anyone to judge him negatively, and Republicans adored that, because they all wanted to take their masks off and stop pretending to be decent people. It's gotta be exhausting, trying to maintain the doublethink of "fiscal conservativism" while simultaneously pushing for more wars and police hardware and drug wars and so on. To claim it's "just about finances" when their targets are inevitably ethnic minorities and LGBT people. It's so much easier and freeing to just admit you're bigoted. That's why the counters stopped being shocked "I can't be racist", and started becoming "oh yeah? You're just as racist too, commie!"

Trump represents ideological liberation. Republicans are free to publicly be who they've always been. They haven't changed, they're just being more honest about it for once. That's why they'll never give Trump up; he doesn't actually represent any kind of change in their beliefs. Just freedom from constraint. That's why they treat him as practically Christ-like; it's the same kind of saviour syndrome, to them.

Tearing Trump down is just gonna be a crucifixion equivalent. It won't stop anything. Because he was never the origin. He didn't make Republicans into anti-intellectual bigots. He just let them feel proud of it, again.
    Exactly this. Its also why when Trump came to the front in the 2016 election it was because "he said it how it is", aka he didn't bother with the dogwhistle and was just a strait up racist/bigot/misogynist
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    His fanatics would simply claim he was forced to make that confession under threats from evil demoncrats and deep state media and whatever they can come up with.
    Again, though, writer i think is important here is that he’s effectively de-platformed.

Trump’s cultists are going to be Trump’s cultists, that much is abundantly clear right now. But actual, legal measures that have real world consequences? Those deal a tremendous blow to the Trump machine. While obviously not a “legal charge,” trump being blocked from Twitter has done a tremendous amount to shutter him from disseminating misinformation to the American people.

Placing him in legal peril, no matter how much the trumpkins say it’s rigged, is 1) right to simply see justice done and 2) probably a very good way of preventing him from mastering a narrative and attracting new followers.

If half of Trump’s future headlines are about his legal and financial troubles unfolding in the court of law, it’ll be much harder for him to peddle his snake oil or for the GOP to sing his praises, which they’ve basically gone all in on at this point. It’d be a huge liability in 2022 and 2024.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    he’s effectively de-platformed.
    I like the word "effectively".

The demonstration of how badly losing Twitter hurts, is the attempts we've seen by Trump to get a message out anyhow. He got a FOX News interview or two, and I can't help but notice "THE ELECTION WAS STOLEN!" didn't come up. His office has bee putting out statements, but his followers don't even know where to find them and there's the obvious joke that some of them can't read. Some Republican get-togethers have happened, and while they bring members of the rabid fanbase, they haven't brought Trump himself. And when was his last pep rally? I liked those. I would make out with Graham's wife under the bleachers.

Failed businessman that he was/is/will be (looking forward to Trump moving out of Deutsche Bank Tower) Trump knew what Twitter was: an almost uncensored source of limitless free advertising he could literally and figuratively crap out. Actual advertisements cost money, which Trump doesn't have (he could fleece his followers, but then they have to be political ads, and there are rules for those). Interviews are free, but if he goes off the rails the start getting taped and edited. He might get invited to later rallies, or rallies in smaller elections, but Trump has nothing big where he's the reason for the rally. Reality TV is done with him. And it's not like that media network his fans thought he'd make is going anywhere.

Don't worry, rabid fanbase. I think Court TV is still on -- you'll see him soon enough.

- - - Updated - - -

We are not a party that is led by just one person
    -- Collins

Prove it
    -- Breccia

10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if she realises being led by multiple idiots isn't much of an improvement over being led by a singular idiot.

Glad to see she still has so many concerns, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    This got lost in the shuffle, so let me just say get well soon, Mekh. Hope it's not too bad for you.
    Thanks. Looking at a mild version so far, it seems. Mostly tired, some fever. Scared my wife though and she has to delay a hospital stay for unrelated reasons because she's trapped in quarantine with me.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    So little Jared got in trouble for thousands of consumer protection violations in Maryland.
    Looks like somebody went to Jared!

...the police!

- - - Updated - - -

Party of Trump lawmakers express outrage that Biden halted Wall construction, claiming this is illegal because they appropriated $1.4 billion for it.

"Oh, so they also expressed outrage when Trump moved money from other military projects to pay for the Wall in the first place, right after the Trump Shutdown, which cost well over $1.4 billion?"

I mean, maybe one or two did? I'll let the Trump supporters in the readerbase find them for me. Until that happens, I will just assume the answer is "no, they were hypocrites".

Also these same lawmakers claimed Biden's halting of Wall construction led to the surge at the border.

"So, Biden was supposed to complete hundreds of miles of Wall in not quite four months, while Trump built a dozen miles or so in four years?"

That's what they're going with. See, apparently, when Trump left the White House having only Executive Time, er, Executive Orders to show for it, the Party of Trump just assumed the Constitution required Biden to follow through and much much better, because Mr. Only I Can Fix It only did 1% of the work despite being Mr. Nobody Builds Better Walls Believe Me.

"By that same logic, Biden should have executed over 500 children by now and cheated on his wife several thousand times."

Yep, probably.

"He also should have pardoned enough people to fill a sold-out Eagles-Giants game, played over 10,000 rounds of golf, and openly praised Nazis literally every say so far."

Looks like.

"And --"

Okay we get the point. Everyone knew Biden wouldn't continue Trump's mid-to-high crazyfied policies, just like everyone knew Trump wouldn't follow Obama's policies, and yet Trump supporters didn't blame Trump when that didn't magically happen by May 2, 2017. As always, this is pure hypocrisy.

"Is there any merit to 'Biden caused the border surge'?"

I mean, by virtue of not following Trump's policies, yes. If a heart surgeon said "Here Breccia, take these surgical tools and close for me, I'm leaving the heart surgery early" you could make the point that I killed the patient, but let's be honest, what chance did I have? And besides, if that were the case, Biden should immediately get credit for all the businesses reopening due to the expansion of vaccinations.

"Biden follows science and signed a bill to help with that. He should get at least some credit."

Well, wake me when the GOP members who blame Biden for the border surge say that. Again, I'll let the Trump supporters in the audience give me exact names and dates. Until then, I won't hold my breath.

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1388111012008706057

I'm loving the implosion of the Republican party that's going on right now. Cruz just out there, admitting that he's little more than a corporate mercenary and not a champion of the people.

I hope he's being honest (lol) about not taking their money, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1388111012008706057

I'm loving the implosion of the Republican party that's going on right now. Cruz just out there, admitting that he's little more than a corporate mercenary and not a champion of the people.

I hope he's being honest (lol) about not taking their money, too.
    I'm surprised our free speech stalwarts aren't all up in arms that the government is attempting to chill freedom of expression here.

Hahaha, just kidding.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m starting to think Lin Wood needs to be committed.

https://www.rawstory.com/l-lin-wood-2652826035/

His evidence? Old photos he’d previously posted to social media that he then reposted claiming they were from April.

He then went on to say Biden is dead and was replaced by a double. Only the best people.
    Doesn't he genuinely think he's Jesus?
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m starting to think Lin Wood needs to be committed.

https://www.rawstory.com/l-lin-wood-2652826035/

His evidence? Old photos he’d previously posted to social media that he then reposted claiming they were from April.

He then went on to say Biden is dead and was replaced by a double. Only the best people.
    He isn’t the only one... as each day that Trump has not taken over as president, QAnon has shifted to saying Biden is being controlled by Trump. Claiming he let Biden be the face of Trump’s actions, to save the Union from Antifa take over.

Not kidding...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Remember that great patriot who needed a pardon because he was treated so unfairly when the FBI was lied to about his illegal foreign activities that were in no way patriotic? You know, Mike Flynn? Apparently he doesn’t know the words to the pledge of allegiance. We know this because he made a big deal about “LISTEN to the words, don’t just say them!” Before forgetting the words a bunch of Trump supporters remembered. Hilarious video in link.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RonFilipk...31637170352138
    Well obviously he forgot the words to the U.S. National Anthem to own the libs by having the libs make fun of him. Obviously Flynn like Trump is playing 4 to 10,000th power D chess.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Giuliani claims, back when he was a prosecutor "and when we used to obey the Constitution" (eyeroll) that lawyer-client documents would never be seized.

I...think we all know that's false. @cubby has spoken on the matter. Recently.

But even if we didn't have our own live-in expert, there's always this justice.gov website which details how that shit works. I'll give you a hint: it doesn't say "No you can't". And it was last updated 2016, so, before Giuliani represented the Resident.

Man, it would be a shame if it turned out Giuliani was actually quite familiar with the process, wouldn't it?
    The 1983 subpoena now before us was served on Proskauer, the law firm that had represented AG during the litigation over the 1982 subpoena. The 1983 subpoena required production of all documents relating to the sale of International by AG, as part of the grand jury's investigation into a possible obstruction of justice by AG, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 1503 (1982), or conspiracy to defraud the United States, in violation of 18 U.S.C. § 371 (1982). Proskauer moved to quash on the grounds that the documents in question are protected either by the privilege for attorney's work-product or by the privilege for attorney-client communications. AG intervened and joined in Proskauer's motion to quash.

In an oral decision delivered on November 3, 1983, the district court denied the motion in part, ordering the production of documents relating to the sale of International, documents relating to a possible reorganization of the Marc Rich companies, and documents relating to possible forms of employee compensation for AG employees. Although the November 3 transcript is far from clear, it appears that the court ruled that all of these documents were unprivileged because they conveyed business rather than legal advice. It appears that the court also found certain of these documents unprivileged because their contents would subsequently be disclosed to AG employees. As to documents dated prior to July 7, 1983, and involving advice concerning the sale of International, the court also appears to have held that the documents were unprivileged because they related to advice rendered in furtherance of a future or continuing crime or fraud and hence lost any right to protection under the attorney-client privilege.

And just to be clear:
    Even if Giuliani did not argue the case personally, it clearly was allowed while he was a prosecutor.

Obviously these cases aren't the same, and as we've seen before, there's a separate, special office the DA is supposed to call, whose job it is to look through potentially privileged stuff and say "Here's the stuff you're allowed to have". (That official title eludes me, and I did look, just not hard enough I guess) For Giuliani to say either "I never did this" or "this isn't Constitutional" is a leaking-face lie.

And because Giuliani was the U.S. Attorney at the time, he would have been fully briefed by his own team as well as the DoJ staff attorneys, because of the highly unusual factors of that case (and in every case in which attorney files are seized). The fact that he said what he did recently means either he's running his usual lying con game or he has forgotten. If he's legitimately forgotten, then his mental state is in question, and that is, as they say, sauce for the goose, Saavik.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The fact that he said what he did recently means either he's running his usual lying con game or he has forgotten.
    Well, we know which it is. Lying to the American people about being the phony victim of a nonexistant crime, is not a crime. Lying on court documents is. So, the move here is to confront him on exactly this statement, under oath. Force him to pick either admit he lied to the American people, or, allow him to avoid the issue by admitting he forgot -- and like you said, ther goes that legal license -- or, allow him to perjure himself. You saw what I found in 5 minutes. NY has a lot of his court cases.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Well, we know which it is. Lying to the American people about being the phony victim of a nonexistant crime, is not a crime. Lying on court documents is. So, the move here is to confront him on exactly this statement, under oath. Force him to pick either admit he lied to the American people, or, allow him to avoid the issue by admitting he forgot -- and like you said, ther goes that legal license -- or, allow him to perjure himself. You saw what I found in 5 minutes. NY has a lot of his court cases.
    Lol, indeed. I cannot wait to see Rudi on the stand. And that's the best case scenario for him regarding our entertainment value - the other choice is flipping on Trump, and that would be worth not seeing Rudi on the stand.

Like I've said before, I would volunteer to be a fucking errand boy to be on the DoJ team that's working this case against Rudi. Of course, I'm the guy that will read the entire Mueller report's founding documents, once they are released/declassified. I nerd out over law (and space).
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-05-03 at 04:01 AM.

Whenever I try and think about what would it take to pull those 70 something million resolute Trump cultists back from the depths of insanity, I get quite concerned.

There's no rhetorical trick, no fact, no evidence, no public admission, no principle, nothing that could be used to bridge that bottomless gap that has formed between the American right and reality as a whole.

They have one higher unifying purpose, that doesn't really seem to go beyond hating minorities, normies and liberals.

If Biden or any Democrat or a liberal or a normie would go on Fox News tomorrow and make a brief statement, saying "The sky is blue", 70 million people would spend the next month shrieking about Chemtrails and communists and Jews painting the sky blue and making the frogs trans or something.

How do you communicate with that?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Lincoln Project teabags Trump's corpse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump shambles the rooms of Mar-a-Lago, mascara running, pleading to the "rallies" of six or seven people that...

Look, I can at least understand the lie that they'll find thousands of votes in Arizona. There's a "recount: there being done by a heavily biased source with no oversight. But Pennsylvania? New Hampshire? There's no recount effort in those other states.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump shambles the rooms of Mar-a-Lago, mascara running, pleading to the "rallies" of six or seven people that...
    Real Alpha energy there.

I see your "Sad Loser Party Crasher" and raise you a; "Tom BRady at the Kentucky Derby".

Is this Roger Stone cosplay?
    How to say you're a conservative weirdo, with out actually saying you're a conservative weirdo.

Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    Real Alpha energy there.

I see your "Sad Loser Party Crasher" and raise you a; "Tom BRady at the Kentucky Derby".

Is this Roger Stone cosplay?
    How to say you're a conservative weirdo, with out actually saying you're a conservative weirdo.
    I'm not clear what you find weird about that photo. People play dress-up for the Kentucky Derby all the time and Brady's been going with his buddies for awhile.

Looks pretty fun, to be honest.