10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    As a vegan who buys many faux meats, this stuff isn't a thing.
    Well, neither is voter fraud, and look what's happening.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...acebook-486843

Remember how Trump and Republicans HATE Facebook for being all liberal and shit?

Cruz has plowed more than $240,000 into Facebook advertising since the platform started accepting political ads again two months ago. The only sitting senator who has spent more is Sen. Raphael Warnock (D-Ga.), who forked over $335,000 for ads on the social media giant, according to a POLITICO analysis of Facebook advertising disclosures.
    Weird that Ted Cruz is simping for Facebook, is Trump gonna get jealous?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1845838.html

And Republicans are blocking an amendment in HR1 that would prevent states from making it illegal to provide people waiting in line from receiving snacks or water.

Reminder: Voting is a constitutionally protected right. Waiting in lines is a part of that process. I can't think of any other lines where it is illegal to have someone bring you a bottle of water or some chips if you've been waiting for hours. The bloody DMV doesn't even care.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...7sa-story.html

And the founder of "Students for Trump" is getting only 13 months in prison for posing as a lawyer, like an actual real life lawyer named Eric Pope, and accepting more than $46K for "legal advise".

He is not a lawyer. What the fuck is up with all these Trump folks constantly breaking the fucking law?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    And Republicans are blocking an amendment in HR1 that would prevent states from making it illegal to provide people waiting in line from receiving snacks or water.

Reminder: Voting is a constitutionally protected right. Waiting in lines is a part of that process. I can't think of any other lines where it is illegal to have someone bring you a bottle of water or some chips if you've been waiting for hours. The bloody DMV doesn't even care.
    I'm trying to come up with an "actual" reason for this ... the best I can come up with is maybe the worry is that people will be bribing voters with water to get them to vote their way? I thought I've read that a general rule is you can't give people in line to vote something "of value". And I suppose a bottle of water has value. Seems a bit of a stretch though? Or maybe water bottles would have candidate names on the labels?

Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Or maybe water bottles would have candidate names on the labels?
    That's already forbidden, you can't wear campaign gear (or bring it with you) to the polls. There's no need to ban water bottles that may have a candidate's name on them, that's already banned by default.

That's already forbidden, you can't wear campaign gear (or bring it with you) to the polls. There's no need to ban water bottles that may have a candidate's name on them, that's already banned by default.
    Oh, well I guess here's the reason:
    In Senate hearing on For The People Act Sen Roy Blunt just opposed an amendment that would enable good samaritans to give water to voters stuck on line. He suggests the water could buy off their votes.
    https://twitter.com/JaneMayerNYer/st...81533390393350

I'm trying to come up with an "actual" reason for this ... the best I can come up with is maybe the worry is that people will be bribing voters with water to get them to vote their way? I thought I've read that a general rule is you can't give people in line to vote something "of value". And I suppose a bottle of water has value. Seems a bit of a stretch though?
    It's a bit of a stretch because it's not actually banned because it's a concern, it's banned to discourage people from voting and that's the ex post- facto justification they came up with.

You know the value of a bottle of water?! It's like, a dollar! Who knew votes were so easy to buy?

I'm trying to come up with an "actual" reason for this ... the best I can come up with is maybe the worry is that people will be bribing voters with water to get them to vote their way? I thought I've read that a general rule is you can't give people in line to vote something "of value". And I suppose a bottle of water has value. Seems a bit of a stretch though? Or maybe water bottles would have candidate names on the labels?
    The actual reason is simple.

First you close a bunch of polling locations in the neighbourhoods where your political opponents do well.
    This causes the remaining locations near those neighbourhoods to get long lines on election day, like multiple hours long lines.
    You don't close polling locations in neighbourhoods with lots of your own voters so they have quick short lines.
    Then you make it illegal to give aid to people in line so those people in multiple hour long lines are on their own.

The goal is to make it as miserable as possible to stand in line for hours and hours to vote in the hopes that more people give up and not bother to vote, costing your political opponent votes and allowing you to attain a majority of votes, despite having only a minority support.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

10+ Year Old Account
    You know the value of a bottle of water?! It's like, a dollar! Who knew votes were so easy to buy?
    Really though that guy was so nice to hand out water, I wonder what party he supports? Oh! You mean he doesn't support the oppressive fascist party actively trying to make our lives miserable for attempting to exercise our right to vote!??

I NEVER WOULDA FUCKIN GUESSED!

/sarcasm but only kinda.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

But are you allowed to sell snacks and water (or Coca Cola in Atlanta, GA) in those states, or is it only illegal to give them something?

And I don't consider standing in line to be part of the voting process - that's the sign of a broken system.

Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post
    But are you allowed to sell snacks and water (or Coca Cola in Atlanta, GA) in those states, or is it only illegal to give them something?
    I'm not sure about that, actually.

And I don't consider standing in line to be part of the voting process - that's the sign of a broken system.
    A sign of a broken system sure, but still part of the voting process. Waiting in line will be a part of the process even if we had enough voting locations, it would just usually be a fairly short wait where you wouldn't need to worry about snacks/water/sunscreen/freezing temperatures etc. That's why voter protections are extended to those in line waiting to vote as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can sell, but you can’t give a discount. Basically, you cannot do anything that could imply persuading to vote in any favor.

It is broken... largely because people don’t know how it works, which lets politicians get away with shit like this. If you look at what they are doing at face value, none of it seems outlandish. Like voter ID or attempts at curbing intimidation/bribery, all sound good... it’s not until you look under the surface and treat all these changes as a whole, that the picture gets clearer.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    You can sell, but you can’t give a discount. Basically, you cannot do anything that could imply persuading to vote in any favor.

It is broken... largely because people don’t know how it works, which lets politicians get away with shit like this. If you look at what they are doing at face value, none of it seems outlandish. Like voter ID or attempts at curbing intimidation/bribery, all sound good... it’s not until you look under the surface and treat all these changes as a whole, that the picture gets clearer.

the loophole is a company can donate food and drink to an agency for 0.00.
    that agency can then "sell" the goods to people waiting in line for .01.

since they are not giving it away and are actually making money on the product, LOOPHOLE.

Buh Byeeeeeeeeeeee !!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post
    the loophole is a company can donate food and drink to an agency for 0.00.
    that agency can then "sell" the goods to people waiting in line for .01.

since they are not giving it away and are actually making money on the product, LOOPHOLE.

I’m just pissed Australians get a voting sausage... while that would be illegal in some parts of US.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Listen, the only way someone giving me water while I wait in line is going to change the way I vote is if I don't care which one wins and was still deciding who I was going to vote for.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Listen, the only way someone giving me water while I wait in line is going to change the way I vote is if I don't care which one wins and was still deciding who I was going to vote for.
    Especially considering these are the same people encouraging armed good Samaritans, to monitor voting.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Especially considering these are the same people encouraging armed good Samaritans, to monitor voting.
    "Water bottles might be seen as bribes!" - Party that thinks armed Pole Watchers aren't intimidation.

It's still a sausage...metaphorically speaking. Of course it's not one that anyone cares for.

10+ Year Old Account
    "He suggests the water could buy off their votes."
    I was under the impression that there were already laws against campaigning near polling stations. If I'm right, this reason is moot.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I was under the impression that there were already laws against campaigning near polling stations. If I'm right, this reason is moot.
    There are, that's the excuse being given. You can't give people water because that would be campaigning near the polling station.