10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Weird how Republicans love idolizing former presidents (Reagan being a good example) over all else while there doesn't really seem to be that same kind of fanboi devotion within the Democratic party. I mean, Obama is popular as fuck and all, but it doesn't protect him from pretty extensive criticism of his administration nor do we have the hilariously cringey memes of his face on Rambo and shit. Republicans love them a good cult with a bigly strong leader, apparently. Even if that leader is, as 2020 showed, a fuckin loser.
    Probably because Dems are more inclined to using -logic- and -facts-, and haven't been indoctrinated into religious cults that suppress any form of free thought from a young age. Let's not pretend decades of pastors drilling into conservative heads that they should obey dogmatically has nothing to do with their tendencies to turn to demagoguery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Probably because Dems are more inclined to using -logic- and -facts-
    I really don't think it's anything that deep, but rather a function of Republicans having exactly one to two news sources that they get all of their information from. Those being Fox and Facebook.

Democrats as a whole typically get their news from more varied sources.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Iirc, the going all in happened after the primary. The failure was on the GOP for managing to consolidate behind a viable alternative and instead splitting the field between shitsquillion boobs.

Contrast this to 2020 and how the moderate Dems lined up behind Biden when it became clear folks like Buttigieg and Klobuchar weren't viable despite having a split field at the start.
    The difference, though, is that Buttigieg and Klobuchar were still fairly solid Democrats. There was never any reason to expect that the party wouldn't have coalesced around them if things had turned out differently. Donald Trump, on the other hand, spent the entire primary insulting, and being insulted by, the other Republicans. They repeatedly stressed that he was unfit for the office, that he lacked the temperament or the experience, that his were not the values of either America or the Republican Party, and that they wanted nothing to do with him. Many of them explicitly said that they could not and would not ever support him. Lindsay Graham called him "a race-baiting xenophobic bigot" and said that if they made him their candidate, he would destroy the party and they would deserve it.

And the moment he got the nomination they all fell in line with barely even a backward glance.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think it's anything that deep, but rather a function of Republicans having exactly one to two news sources that they get all of their information from. Those being Fox and Facebook.

Democrats as a whole typically get their news from more varied sources.
    Let's not pretend that there aren't plenty of Dems that get their info through Facebook as well. I'm friends with a lot of them.

The discernable difference is their ability to think critically about what they read, and being able to assess its validity at face value.

Man, in light of all this Republican outrage over TX Democrats leaving the state to deny passage of the voting restriction bill I'm pretty surprised that there aren't more regular reminders from Democrats that Oregon Republicans have repeatedly used this tactic before.

Also, deeply amused to see Ted Cruz talking about how Texans don't "run" given that the little bitch fled to Cancun during a cold front and used his teenage daughters as an excuse. The guy really doesn't have any shame or self awareness, no wonder he was Taint-licking for Trump on the phone after Trump called his wife an ugly dog and said his father was involved in the JFK assassination.

I doubt she would have ended up as a figurehead, but I really do think McCain's decision back in 2008 ultimately opened the door for Trump being as successful as he ultimately became.

It legitimized the brand of crazy that the GOP used to keep firmly under the thumb of its more Romney-esque members. I'm not saying they weren't bigots then, but they weren't like "let's overthrow the US government on Jan 6" levels.
    Palin doesn't have the Charisma of Trump, and no I don't see him as charismatic but obviously a bunch of Trumpers do and there is no deny his speeches apparently work for the audience.

But I wouldn't put opening the door on Trump on Palin. I put it squarely on Obama.
    A black man getting elected to President lit a fuse under a certain set of Americans, there was no denying that they were losing the culture war after that. It wasn't a token black guy(or girl) somewhere to be 'tolerate'. It was the highest office and most powerful person in America/the world.

The Tea Party takeover, Qnon, Trumpism it all comes from that singular event. Racist Americans had to face the fact that they lost the war to keep America white.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Remember all those anti-protest laws Republicans passed, like in Florida?

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/po...7gm-story.html

Well, now we've got protests in solidarity with the Cubans, which Republicans are pretty positive about, but some of these may run afoul of these new laws. Gonna be interesting if conservative activists are the first victims of a law designed to target Democratic protesters.

- - - Updated - - -

https://truthout.org/articles/right-...dDNfXE8ZANzhG8

Conservatives: LIBERALS WANT TO CENSOR EVERYTHING! WE NEED OUR FREEZE PEACH!

Also conservatives:

Instead of stocking up on books in seven different languages,” he said. “If we got people to assimilate and learn English, that would do more good.
    “I don’t think public libraries need to be an extension of scriptural knowledge only, but they sure shouldn’t be forcing taxpayer funding of Satanic agendas that lead to the destruction of our nation,”
    They sure do love them some censorship.

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, in light of all this Republican outrage over TX Democrats leaving the state to deny passage of the voting restriction bill I'm pretty surprised that there aren't more regular reminders from Democrats that Oregon Republicans have repeatedly used this tactic before.

Also, deeply amused to see Ted Cruz talking about how Texans don't "run" given that the little bitch fled to Cancun during a cold front and used his teenage daughters as an excuse. The guy really doesn't have any shame or self awareness, no wonder he was Taint-licking for Trump on the phone after Trump called his wife an ugly dog and said his father was involved in the JFK assassination.
    why, you cant shame republicans, they couldn't show their pride in it more unless they changed their logo to have the elephant saying "kek, you mad bro?"
    "Law and Order", lots of places have had that, Russia, North Korea, Saddam's Iraq.
    Laws can be made to enforce order of cruelty and brutality.
    Equality and Justice, that is how you have peace and a society that benefits all.

Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    why, you cant shame republicans, they couldn't show their pride in it more unless they changed their logo to have the elephant saying "kek, you mad bro?"
    Oh, not as a way to shame them or anything. Just to ask them if they were just as outraged then and enjoy as their brains try to process this. Per my Ted Cruz reference, I'm painfully aware of the fact that Republican officials seem incapable of shame.

Oh, not as a way to shame them or anything. Just to ask them if they were just as outraged then and enjoy as their brains try to process this. Per my Ted Cruz reference, I'm painfully aware of the fact that Republican officials seem incapable of shame.
    Shame requires the assumption that someone whose approval you desire might not approve of you.

Republican officials know their constituents better than that.

https://act.nrcc.org/free-britney-text/

So...uh...I guess the National Republican Congressional Committee are big supporters of Britney Spears?

Weird thing to be fundraising/generating mailing lists off of but I guess this is what they think the zoomers and millennials care about most?

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.freep.com/story/news/pol...ns/7966882002/

A Michigan Republican Party leader who faced grassroots pushback after saying the 2020 presidential election wasn't stolen and blaming ex-President Donald Trump for the loss has resigned his position with the state party.

Jason Roe confirmed he stepped down as executive director of the state GOP, but declined to provide a specific reason for the decision.

"I resigned my position as executive director and the reasons will remain between me and Chairman Weiser," Roe said in a statement to the Free Press, referring to Michigan GOP Party Chairman Ron Weiser.

"We've built an amazing team and I know they will be very successful in 2022. I look forward to helping however I can."
    Bend the knee to Trump and the Big Lie or get the fuck off the train, apparently. Seriously, the fact that there can apparently be no dissent from whatever lunacy comes out of Trump's mouth is kinda scary. Every day it's more and more of a god-damned cult.

15+ Year Old Account
    So whats the weekly update of how much of a cesspool the US became in terms of democracy.
    Just 17 states pushing for less voting rights, I thought it would be 18 by now. A good sign I presume..
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Tuesday's report:

28,923 new cases; over 15k more than two weeks ago. Things are getting bad again.

Top 5:

Fuck Florida (over 5k according to worldometers).
    Texas: 3,567 new cases; 32 deaths
    California: 3,543 new cases; 16 deaths
    Missouri: 2,276 new cases; no deaths reported
    Arkansas: 1,476 new cases; 15 deaths

The numbers may be a bit of a correction that normally happens the first few days of the week, but even with that in mind there's no doubt numbers are going back up nationally. It's surprising not to see New York in the mix (yet), but their relatively high vaccination rate likely has a lot to do with it. Florida is absolutely in the thick of it--and has likely been legitimately number one since they stopped reporting daily. Texas, as you can see, is also not doing anywhere near as well as its thick-skulled governor claims. California's ticking up again. Missouri and Arkansas are two of the real danger areas given lower vaccination rates and general stupidity.

307 deaths is very slightly lower than two weeks ago and brings the total to 623,435. Missouri is still refusing to publish daily death totals and hasn't for more than a month now. Given that this latest wave basically started off there it's probably safe to assume their numbers are NOT zero, so the death count is likely actually increasing again. It's been much harder the past month to look into trends in specific parts of the country because they decided to declare "Mission Accomplished" prematurely and stop publishing accurate data, but the writing on the wall is pretty clear at this point.

Related news:

US COVID-19 cases rising again, doubling over three weeks--Things can very quickly get out of hand given how contagious Delta is. If you're vaccinated your odds are vastly improved even if you still contract the virus. If you're not vaccinated, good luck. Hope you don't kill anyone...

State's health officials warn of delta 'surge' as 7 children in ICU due to COVID-19--Vaccines haven't been approved yet for children under 12, so if you're going to be one of those assholes who says "I'm strong enough to beat COVID", then do it for the sake of those who aren't able to get vaccines yet you selfish pricks.

Norwegian Cruise Line line sues Florida over COVID-19 vaccine passport ban--Doubt this goes anywhere, because Florida. Fuck Florida.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Tuesday's report:

28,923 new cases; over 15k more than two weeks ago. Things are getting bad again.

Top 5:

The numbers may be a bit of a correction that normally happens the first few days of the week, but even with that in mind there's no doubt numbers are going back up nationally. It's surprising not to see New York in the mix (yet), but their relatively high vaccination rate likely has a lot to do with it. Florida is absolutely in the thick of it--and has likely been legitimately number one since they stopped reporting daily. Texas, as you can see, is also not doing anywhere near as well as its thick-skulled governor claims. California's ticking up again. Missouri and Arkansas are two of the real danger areas given lower vaccination rates and general stupidity.

307 deaths is very slightly lower than two weeks ago and brings the total to 623,435. Missouri is still refusing to publish daily death totals and hasn't for more than a month now. Given that this latest wave basically started off there it's probably safe to assume their numbers are NOT zero, so the death count is likely actually increasing again. It's been much harder the past month to look into trends in specific parts of the country because they decided to declare "Mission Accomplished" prematurely and stop publishing accurate data, but the writing on the wall is pretty clear at this point.

Related news:

US COVID-19 cases rising again, doubling over three weeks--Things can very quickly get out of hand given how contagious Delta is. If you're vaccinated your odds are vastly improved even if you still contract the virus. If you're not vaccinated, good luck. Hope you don't kill anyone...

State's health officials warn of delta 'surge' as 7 children in ICU due to COVID-19--Vaccines haven't been approved yet for children under 12, so if you're going to be one of those assholes who says "I'm strong enough to beat COVID", then do it for the sake of those who aren't able to get vaccines yet you selfish pricks.

Norwegian Cruise Line line sues Florida over COVID-19 vaccine passport ban--Doubt this goes anywhere, because Florida. Fuck Florida.

Stay safe, folks.
    I would be inclined to believe that the reported numbers for Florida and Texas are lower then the actual cases. Both are vehemently against releasing their true numbers so they can protect their governors from anything that might make them look bad.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    I would be inclined to believe that the reported numbers for Florida and Texas are lower then the actual cases. Both are vehemently against releasing their true numbers so they can protect their governors from anything that might make them look bad.
    I am as well (you may not recall, but my ubiquitous "Fuck Florida" is precisely because of their misrepresentation of the facts), but absent any alternatives I can only go with the data available. I'm still not sure where worldometers is getting their occasional Florida daily info from, but they've been pretty reliable since the start and, well, it's very believable that Florida is way more fucked than the rest of the nation.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Tuesday's report:

Top 5:

Related news:

Stay safe, folks.
    Shouldn't this be in the pandemic thread or the Biden thread, what exactly do you want Trump to do to stop this? You do this, i guess research, to report and post it in a thread that has nothing currently to do with the pandemic. I guess the Trump living in your head gets scared when you think about it. Keep feeding him though, I want you to be able to blame everything on a guy who is living rent free in your head.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    So whats the weekly update of how much of a cesspool the US became in terms of democracy.
    Just 17 states pushing for less voting rights, I thought it would be 18 by now. A good sign I presume..
    I'd like your take on MLB moving the all star game out of Atlanta, costing a city mostly populated by black people millions of dollars to Denver, a city mainly comprised of white people who have the exact same voting laws already in place.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    Shouldn't this be in the pandemic thread or the Biden thread, what exactly do you want Trump to do to stop this? You do this, i guess research, to report and post it in a thread that has nothing currently to do with the pandemic. I guess the Trump living in your head gets scared when you think about it. Keep feeding him though, I want you to be able to blame everything on a guy who is living rent free in your head.
    If you actually came here to do anything apart from troll, flame, complain about moderation or play the victim ad nauseum you would have read the numerous posts I made about why I'll keep these daily posts here for the time being.

Hint:

Quote Originally Posted by Trump
    It’s one person coming in from China. We have it under control. It’s going to be just fine...
    Feel free to go back and read them the next time you climb down from your cross. Toodles.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasRules View Post
    More than 600k people dead, and this is the best defense you can mount for your orange führer? Pitiful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.