10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Friday's report:

67,485 new cases; over 24k more than last Friday.
    I just wanted to point out, for those of you who may only be looking at the daily numbers and not observing the longer trend, this represents a faster spike in new case counts than previously seen. For comparison, this Friday's new case count is 5x the new case count of the Friday five weeks ago. The rolling 7-day average is more than 4x its lowest point about a month ago. That point, a month ago, was literally the lowest the 7-day average had been since last March, and considering that we were still hardly testing back last March, that means that it was probably the lowest it's been since just about the beginning of the pandemic.

And yet here we are, because, yes, some people are just that stupid.

If only we hadn't had a president who tried to politicize a pandemic, then downplay its danger, then suggest people should inject bleach, then encourage a distrust in science that is now killing his enablers.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    I just wanted to point out, for those of you who may only be looking at the daily numbers and not observing the longer trend, this represents a faster spike in new case counts than previously seen. For comparison, this Friday's new case count is 5x the new case count of the Friday five weeks ago. The rolling 7-day average is more than 4x its lowest point about a month ago. That point, a month ago, was literally the lowest the 7-day average had been since last March, and considering that we were still hardly testing back last March, that means that it was probably the lowest it's been since just about the beginning of the pandemic.

If only we hadn't had a president who tried to politicize a pandemic, then downplay its danger, then suggest people should inject bleach, then encourage a distrust in science that is now killing his enablers.
    Just to further illustrate what Phaelix is talking about:

Note how sharp the increase is for the past few weeks compared to the start of the Summer wave last year...or any wave, really. That's what Delta is doing to the unvaccinated.

10+ Year Old Account
    67,485 new cases; over 24k more than last Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Let's hold up a mirror to America (to see if it's breathing?) and take a look at, um, the last six months or so?

As you can see, Florida looks kind of like the USA overall in the general shape of the 7-day rolling average. But any closer examination and you better be wearing your mask, because coming within six feet of DeSantis and his failed COVID measures and you're going to catch it.

Exactly one month ago

EDIT: I was 87.2% done writing this post and realized that the CDC's most recent data was July 22, so "last month" isn't quiiiiiiiiiiite accurate. I'm not going back and making a new picture or changing things -- trust me, Florida's fucked either way. Or, don't trust me, I linked my figures.

Florida was 13.1% of all new cases. This is almost exactly double the percent of Florida's total population of the USA. Florida is getting sick at twice the national average.

Oh, it gets worse.

As of these latest @Benggaul tested, @Benggaul disapproved numbers, Florida is now 22% of all new cases. So their sickness percent has climbed dramatically. In one month.

DeSantis: If Florida didn't lead fight against federal COVID overreach, US would look like Canada
    -- DeSantis on FOX News

Well, congrats DeSantis, those Floridians who survive will be glad there's no line at the grocery store.

In the past month, singular, the USA has almost tripled its daily new cases. That sucks a whole lot.

In the past month, singular, Florida's new case count has gone up over six time. That fucking blows. DeSantis' actions are infecting and killing his people. Or, to give him credit he's proven he's not due, his citizens are dead-set on being...dead-set, and DeSantis is cheering them on while doing nothing. Which is objectively better, but still horrifying. (It's like being chased by Karl from Die Hard instead of Jason from Friday the 13th)

"Breccia, you keep saying DeSantis is a mass murderer but are showing cases not deaths. You're being intentionally disingenuous."

No, I'm not. We have months upon months upon morbid months of many of us saying "deaths lag behind cases". The increase I'm talking about hasn't had a chance to show up in deaths yet.

...much.

One month ago, the USA new deaths 7-day rolling average was 249. Now it's 250. It dipped slightly in between but day->day it's basically level.

Florida could say the same...last week. Not as much anymore. A month ago, Florida's 7-day rolling average was 31. July 20th, it was 28. Again, roughly level, even a slight but significant decrease.

Today...it's 51.

"That's not up by much."

Yes it fucking is. That's the seven day rolling average what just jumped there. It jumped from 28 people/day on July 20, to 51 people/day on July 22. (See EDIT above, this is where I caught it and swore so hard I thought the neighbor kids would hear me, and they're inside, but boy do I hate when I get my fucking numbers wrong)

That requires a murder spree. It looks like this:

Yes, Florida's deaths seem to happen *cough* reported in spikes. The lowest of this three-day spike, compares to the highest of the last three spikes. Add that to Florida's proven reputation for lackluster reporting and even data choking, they're lucky if it's only as bad as it looks. It's possible these numbers are intentionally underreported and Florida is much worse. God, I hope not. These numbers are bad enough as they are.

Maybe things will plummet back down to the floor after this spike, but based on the increasing caseload, I don't think that's reasonable. I think that being reported would more likely be intentional deceit than a sudden change in Florida's COVID status. Oh, and just to be clear, I'm using 7day rolling averages, so even if the numbers flatten back down, that deadly spike won't save them until next weekend, and I still win. Well, Florida still loses.

The surge in COVID cases that's causing a surge in deaths is at least partly a reason we've seen before: hospitals can handle a river but not a tidal wave. Everyone running there all at once, including of course unvaccinated people who are just there because they broke and arm or visited a relative, are suddenly in danger and there's not enough room. And rural areas, as per usual, have fewer beds to begin with, making a bloody Venn Diagram with "people who don't trust viruses because they're even more red than Florida as a whole". And making things worse, because most new cases are among the unvaccinated, this includes children now -- the state's 60% rise in infections conceals an 87% increase in children.

We've seen this before. It ends with body bags. We might be seeing that start right back up again. I hope not...but the data is pointing that way, and I've little choice but to follow.

America has a demonstrable problem, but the problem is Florida and the states that act like Florida.

Florida is mishandling COVID

Florida is mishandling COVID Florida is mishandling COVID

Florida is mishandling COVID Florida is mishandling COVID Florida is mishandling COVID Florida is mishandling COVID

Florida is mishandling COVID Florida is mishandling COVID Florida is mishandling COVID Floridians are mishandling COVID Florida hospitals are overwhelmed Florida is mishandling COVID Why didn't they get the vaccine Florida is mishandling COVID Florida caught lying about nursing homes like Cuomo did

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...

And it's not just them.

Family says conservative radio host has changed his tune on vaccines after he was hospitalized with Covid-19--Gosh it sure is amazing how many cult members are flip-flopping on vaccinations lately. .
    Democrats are trying hard not to shit on the GOP shift

Democrats now largely see the GOP as changing its tone as polls suggest its voters are being hit the hardest. Indeed, many believe Republicans are attempting to inoculate themselves from that kind of criticism ahead of the 2022 midterms.

The “sudden pleading for people to get vaccinated,” said Michael Steele, the former chairman of the Republican National Committee, “stems from the fact that they’re looking at their constituents die.”

“Their voice print, what they’ve been saying up until this point, is all over that,” Steele said.

Yet even though there’s a strong desire to call Republicans out, some Democrats acknowledge they have to handle the situation delicately — both because they want more skeptical people to get vaccinated and because of potential political dangers in next year’s elections.

“It’s definitely an issue where I think the GOP sees voters starting to lose trust in its assessment of COVID, so they’re rapidly turning the ship,” said Burns. “And honestly, I’m hesitant to dunk on them because if it gets people vaccinated, thank God they finally got the message.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Democrats are trying hard not to shit on the GOP shift
    I have mixed feelings about this.

It was almost exclusively willful ignorance, fearmongering, chosen partisan bias and conspiracies in the Republican Party and Party of Trump that have caused the split. Republicans who played along should be called out, shamed, and voted out of office.

Unfortunately, the concern is calling them out over it now, when they could still change their tune and help, might cause them go either drill deeper into the conspiracy theorists bedrock, or wose, go full spiteful and act against their best interests until their voters' last breath.

And double unfortunately, getting them to help for, say, 12 months, then factually pointing out afterwards how much of this was their fault won't work as well as an election strategy as pointing it out, honestly, every single day from now till the vote.

Do you negotiate with the hostage-taker, or do you try to rush him before he shoots the hostage?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Do you negotiate with the hostage-taker, or do you try to rush him before he shoots the hostage?
    Um...Um...o wait, I heard this in a movie before; the answer was you "shoot the hostage" before the hostage-taker does?

Snip
    Nice post.

And a very important piece of information from the article:

This week’s 282 deaths are up from the 231 last week, but deaths can take several days or weeks to be reported. Cases, though, jumped by more than 27,000 week over week, and positivity jumped as well to more than 15%.
    15% positivity means they doing insufficient testing. Which means the number of cases is under-reported.

And since you did all of those repeats at the end of your post, I'll repeat something kind of important.

positivity jumped as well to more than 15%

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Um...Um...o wait, I heard this in a movie before; the answer was you "shoot the hostage" before the hostage-taker does?
    Shoot the hostage to get a clear shot at the hostage-taker?
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

Quote Originally Posted by Ayirasi View Post
    Shoot the hostage to get a clear shot at the hostage-taker?

"Breccia, you keep saying DeSantis is a mass murderer but are showing cases not deaths. You're being intentionally disingenuous."
    I know it's fun to crap on DeSantis, but what mitigations do other states have that Florida doesn't? Pretty much every state reopened everything about a month ago or more. Texas has been fully open since at least March. MLB stadiums are at full capacity. Chicago is allowing Lollapalooza to go on next weekend which is usually about 100,000 people per day in one park. The only places in Illinois anybody has had to wear a mask for the last 2 months are medical facilities and things like that.

If you haven't been following this closely, it's always gone in waves where certain places get hit harder first then it moves on to places that hasn't been. In the next few weeks Illinois is going to be worse than Missouri because the cases in Illinois now are centered near St. Louis and they're going to move up to Chicago soon and that's when it'll explode (and Illinois' cases have already tripled in the last 10 days).
    Last edited by Nellise; 2021-07-24 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    I know it's fun to crap on DeSantis, but what mitigations do other states have that Florida doesn't? Pretty much every state reopened everything about a month ago or more. Texas has been fully open since at least March. MLB stadiums are at full capacity. Chicago is allowing Lollapalooza to go on next weekend which is usually about 100,000 people per day in one park. The only places in Illinois anybody has had to wear a mask for the last 2 months are medical facilities and things like that.

If you haven't been following this closely, it's always gone in waves where certain places get hit harder first then it moves on to places that hasn't been. In the next few weeks Illinois is going to be worse than Missouri because the cases in Illinois now are centered near St. Louis and they're going to move up to Chicago soon and that's when it'll explode (and Illinois' cases have already tripled in the last 10 days).
    Floridian here.....nothing shut down in FL at all during any of this. Desantis has consistently downplayed the pandemic in FL, the need for masks and social distancing. He even did a whole lot of fuckery with vaccine roll out, making sure his rich donors got it first. Then on top of it, he's put out bullshit numbers to reinforce his stance on doing nothing. He's a piece of shit who like Trump has literal innocent blood on his hands and should get the fucking chair.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Florida Gov. DeSantis accused of favoritism in distributing Covid vaccine, Congress urged to investigate
    DeSantis threatens to divert vaccines from communities criticizing distribution
    A COVID-19 vaccine in private speaks to the public ambitions of Florida Gov. DeSantis
    Gov. DeSantis issues executive order prohibiting COVID-19 vaccine passports
    As Florida cases surge, DeSantis stays the course on Covid
    DeSantis bucks science, suggests one dose of Pfizer vaccine may be enough

If you haven't been following this closely, Florida has been #1 in cases for months now. Months. Not even just during the start of this latest wave, but long before that. The point being that Florida has had NO mitigations. He lifted all restrictions eons ago, made sure the wealthy got vaccines while threatening to take them away from the poor for criticizing him, has only recently--along with the rest of the GOP--started advocating for them overall, signed executive orders forbidding businesses from requiring vaccine passports, spread misinformation and in general has done nothing to even attempt to stop the spread, instead ensuring that businesses were open without hindrance through pretty much the entirety of the pandemic.

Possibly the only reasons Florida isn't #1 in terms of total deaths are 1) they're lying about the number of dead; excess deaths suggest as much, 2) California has twice the population and 3) New York was hardest hit at the start of the pandemic when nobody--including healthcare experts--knew how to deal with it.

Florida has objectively been worse off than the bulk of the rest of the nation in terms of mitigating the spread of the virus in large part because DeathSantis refuses to take actions that would cost his state--or his donors--money. Fuck DeathSantis and fuck Florida.

But that doesn't really answer my question: what mitigations do other states have now that Florida doesn't?

Florida's vaccination rate is about middle of the road for the country, so it's not an extreme outlier there. I can't find anything that says Florida had an extreme number of excess deaths either. Most things I can find show it middle of the pack there too (I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, but the CDC's excess death page is wonky and I couldn't find a good way to look at their data, so found other articles).

Florida had a thing last summer too, at almost exactly the same time period, where cases spiked super high when the rest of the country was fairly low. The pattern is almost identical.

BTW, this is a bit of a baity headline:
    DeSantis bucks science, suggests one dose of Pfizer vaccine may be enough. At the time the article was written, it was up for debate whether it might be better to just get a first shot to as many people as possible when doses were limited to get more people some protection rather than none, which is sort of what I believe the UK did, so it wasn't a crazy idea, even if now it doesn't seem like the better way to do it.
    Last edited by Nellise; 2021-07-24 at 09:14 PM.

But that doesn't really answer my question: what mitigations do other states have now that Florida doesn't?

Florida's vaccination rate is about middle of the road for the country, so it's not an extreme outlier there. I can't find anything that says Florida had an extreme number of excess deaths either. Most things I can find show it middle of the pack there too (I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, but the CDC's excess death page is wonky and I couldn't find a good way to look at their data, so found other articles).

Florida had a thing last summer too, at almost exactly the same time period, where cases spiked super high when the rest of the country was fairly low. The pattern is almost identical.

BTW, this is a bit of a baity headline:
    DeSantis bucks science, suggests one dose of Pfizer vaccine may be enough. At the time the article was written, it was up for debate whether it might be better to just get a first shot to as many people as possible when doses were limited to get more people some protection rather than none, which is sort of what I believe the UK did, so it wasn't a crazy idea, even if now it doesn't seem like the better way to do it.
    First and foremost: Mask mandates. None in Florida, but other areas (such as LA And St. Louis) where cases are spiking they've been re-implemented. Florida's numbers of new cases have been high(est) for ages and there are no plans for mask mandates--also not for public schools as they start.

You're also glossing over the fact that Florida's cases have been highest in the nation for literal months now and this isn't just a matter of the recent spikes. When California was dropping below 1k, Florida was still having totals between 2-3k. With half the population. Their positivity only barely dipped under the 5% threshold at one point before going back over. If there was anywhere that should have been keeping some form of mitigation in place, it was Florida (and possibly Texas to a lesser degree as their numbers weren't too much better), but they weren't. Which brings me to the second mitigation: Capacity/distance restrictions. DeathSantis lifted restrictions back in May--when they were still #1 in new cases per day--and has kept them removed since. This isn't about Florida not having more mitigations than other states, it's about them not having any at all for months. You may have read the posts from some of our Florida residents about how it's been there, i.e. as if nothing has changed whatsoever--except for all those people dying.

That last article was an oops by me. Half the articles I wanted to link to I couldn't access from the EU, so I tried to only link the ones I could read--that one was on my short list and I forgot to remove it. I've removed it. Mea culpa.

10+ Year Old Account
    They didn't cultivate ignorance and fear.

Many states, like my home state of New York, pushed hard for vaccination and mask mandates. People, employers, employees, businesses, everyone was "encouraged" to take this seriously. This in turn pushed a higher vaccination rate and higher overall awareness.

Despite what the rabid fanbase seem to be pushing, at no point has anyone been vaccinated at gunpoint. But some states were pretty heavy with the stick. Others, such as Florida, more or less handwaved the whole thing. "Oh, it's no big deal. We're not going to let a sniffle stop us from doing business!"

You even explained the problem in your own post. DeSantis is actually fighting people getting fully vaccinated. And yes, Florida has intentionally gotten in trouble before. You'd think they'd learn something, and they have: they've learned that higher-than-average cases and deaths are something they're just going to accept.

Florida, at the top and through the bottom, are fighting the idea that they have to take this seriously. Now their situation is about as bad as it is. Vaccinations are too low. Positiivity is too high. Cases and deaths are too high proportionately and gettting higher. No matter what happens from here on out, states with high vaccination rates will keep those rates. States with low rates can raise them, but Florida is choosing not to.

It's not so much about which states are using active mitigations. It's about which states are standing in the fire.

It’s simple.

DeSantis has his eyes on the presidency and has for a while. He knows what he needs are good numbers for the business owners that pull his leash, and the dumb as brick Magat hat wearing, antivaxx tshirt wearing, Trump as Rambo flag waving constituency that makes up the panhandle and central Florida voting for him.

This whole thing to us adults looks like a sack of shut killing his citizens off. To these awful human beings that voted for Trump and Gaetz, he’s perfect.

That’s your difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Irony taking hits from Trump tonight.
    All that needs to be said:

It's July 24, 2021, and Trump fans are chanting "Lock her up!" about Hillary Clinton
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

They didn't cultivate ignorance and fear.

Many states, like my home state of New York, pushed hard for vaccination and mask mandates. People, employers, employees, businesses, everyone was "encouraged" to take this seriously. This in turn pushed a higher vaccination rate and higher overall awareness.

Despite what the rabid fanbase seem to be pushing, at no point has anyone been vaccinated at gunpoint. But some states were pretty heavy with the stick. Others, such as Florida, more or less handwaved the whole thing. "Oh, it's no big deal. We're not going to let a sniffle stop us from doing business!"

You even explained the problem in your own post. DeSantis is actually fighting people getting fully vaccinated. And yes, Florida has intentionally gotten in trouble before. You'd think they'd learn something, and they have: they've learned that higher-than-average cases and deaths are something they're just going to accept.

Florida, at the top and through the bottom, are fighting the idea that they have to take this seriously. Now their situation is about as bad as it is. Vaccinations are too low. Positiivity is too high. Cases and deaths are too high proportionately and gettting higher. No matter what happens from here on out, states with high vaccination rates will keep those rates. States with low rates can raise them, but Florida is choosing not to.

It's not so much about which states are using active mitigations. It's about which states are standing in the fire.
    Florida is middle of the pack as far as vaccinations go, similar to Ohio and Michigan. It has a higher percentage of fully vaccinated people than Illinois overall and over 65, yet I don't see you crapping all over Illinois.

You're purposely misreading my comment about vaccinations and DeSantis. He was advocating that more people get vaccinated, not fewer. What he was discussing was whether it'd be better to give one dose to as many people as possible rather than save second doses back when supplies were limited so that healthcare workers and older people would have at least some protection. That was considered in a lot of places, like that conservative hellhole Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canad...izer-1.6027657

Benggaul noted the return of the LA mask mandate, but does it really do anything if nobody enforces it? https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-mask-mandate

New York and California's cases have quadrupled in the past 3 weeks, so wtf are they doing wrong?
    Last edited by Nellise; 2021-07-24 at 11:37 PM.

Florida is middle of the pack as far as vaccinations go, similar to Ohio and Michigan. It has a higher percentage of fully vaccinated people than Illinois overall and over 65, yet I don't see you crapping all over Illinois.

You're purposely misreading my comment about vaccinations and DeSantis. He was advocating that more people get vaccinated, not fewer. What he was discussing was whether it'd be better to give one dose to as many people as possible rather than save second doses back when supplies were limited so that healthcare workers and older people would have at least some protection. That was considered in a lot of places, like that conservative hellhole Canada: https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/canad...izer-1.6027657

Benggaul noted the return of the LA mask mandate, but does it really do anything if nobody enforces it? https://www.latimes.com/california/s...d-mask-mandate

New York and California's cases have quadrupled in the past 3 weeks, so wtf are they doing wrong?
    You are giving him credit for what he is saying now, rather than his actions for the past year and a half.

There is no defense for his actions. He is swine.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-07-24 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    This seems to be an issue with a lot of people, giving credit to the likes of Hannity and such for singular comments now, ignoring what they've been saying for the last 18 months.
    It’s horseshit.

He’s kept the state open, removed any ability for local municipalities to enforce mask mandates, and has invited the worst of Americans to come mouth breath all over the state.

I’ll keep in mind how much he’s doing as I have to go to a packed grocery store full of out of state garbage people who refuse to wear a mask because they are on vacation. And no, these selfish cunts aren’t vaccinated, because they are the same selfish cunts that are traveling unvaccinated during a pandemic last summer.

But what’s he doing different asks the poster. Fuck off. I’m sure all the service workers that have been forced to work since last Summer without any kind of protections really care for your defending of the death dealer.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-07-24 at 11:51 PM.