10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I don't understand how Jim Jordan can just refuse to tell what was said during a phone call with the man who allegedly started the biggest attack on our capital in over a century.
    Considering he wanted to actually sit on this committee, I don't think he should be allowed to refuse. I think they need to subpoena him, and watch him take the 5th on stage.

Not saying they will, only that they should.

I don't understand how Jim Jordan can just refuse to tell what was said during a phone call with the man who allegedly started the biggest attack on our capital in over a century. Our system is an absolute joke.
    Well he hasn't actually done that under oath yet. The question is if there is any privilege to that conversation... if it is determined there is not, then they can hold him in contempt if he won't say. Whether they will or not, is a pretty big unknown. The committee chair seems like he means business, but we'll see!

*oh yeah, he could plead the fifth. That'd be a good look on him! lol
    Last edited by solinari6; 2021-07-28 at 06:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    The question is if there is any privilege to that conversation
    As we've seen recently, Biden's DoJ seems to make that decision. And privilege does not cover political rallies, so if Jordan or Trump claims there was privilege, there's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    As we've seen recently, Biden's DoJ seems to make that decision. And privilege does not cover political rallies, so if Jordan or Trump claims there was privilege, there's a problem.
    I think they will try the "it's a private conversation between the president and his advisors, and that's normally privileged" defense. I don't think it will fly though. But it will drag things out.

I don't understand how Jim Jordan can just refuse to tell what was said during a phone call with the man who allegedly started the biggest attack on our capital in over a century. Our system is an absolute joke.
    Just to make this clear. Jim Jordan said he talked to Trump but won't say more in a Fox interview.

This did not happen before the jan 6th investigation committee and they will likely call upon him to testify.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Just to make this clear. Jim Jordan said he talked to Trump but won't say more in a Fox interview.

This did not happen before the jan 6th investigation committee and they will likely call upon him to testify.
    Part of me wonders if it's just some low-effort bait and he's hoping he'll get subpoena'd for the call record where no call exists, allowing him to claim that Democrats are unfairly targeting him etc. etc.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Congressional Representatives hold a lot of immunity while in office. In the past, that privilege has been typically handled with grace and honor. In the past 20 years the [now] GQP has obliterated that honor, leaving us with people like Gym and Marg and Gaetz and jesus I could just keep going with the lists.

To your specific statement, in my opinion he won't be able to just get away with this proclamation. If he and Trump spoke on Jan 6 about the Insurrection, people will try to get more out of him, either by request or subpoena.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    What's that? Gym Jordan won't testify as to what was said? Well, who else did he say was in that conversation? We should get that other guy in here, under oath, and see what he has to say.
    It's weird, usually the problem with Gym Jordan is getting him to shut his god damn mouth rather than getting him to open it.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Part of me wonders if it's just some low-effort bait and he's hoping he'll get subpoena'd for the call record where no call exists, allowing him to claim that Democrats are unfairly targeting him etc. etc.
    or it is actually completely innocent and they walked about the weather.

But yeah he has to know that saying something like this is going to get the committee to target him so its possible he uses it as a trap.
    Then again some Trump cultists really are just that stupid.

I give it a 50/50.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    It definitely could be an attention grab. If so, it's stupid (not that he does anything intelligently) because it unnecessarily exposes their Dear Leader to subpoena.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    It's weird, usually the problem with Gym Jordan is getting him to shut his god damn mouth rather than getting him to open it.
    Right?

The GQP typically spews their lying bullshit with impunity, however, when it comes to something that is being actively investigated by Congress as at least an Armed Insurrection and at worst an Organized Terrorist Coup Attempt, their shit is about to get reaped.

At this point, honestly, I'd rather just get a booster and let the Repubs get infected and die off to decrease their numbers, so sanity can return.

This is easily one of the stupidest unforced errors in world history.

We have to look inward as a country, ALL OF US, and really start to question what about our country-wide core beliefs and foundations, have allowed us rear so many stupid and awful people, then fix it.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

It definitely could be an attention grab. If so, it's stupid (not that he does anything intelligently) because it unnecessarily exposes their Dear Leader to subpoena.
    If he's baiting, it exposes nobody because the subpoena will be issued and he'll be able to respond, "The call I mentioned doesn't actually exist and you fell for my carefully laid trap to PROVE that this is all a partisan war on Republicans!"

There's no real downside to this for him. It's red meat for the Republican base that doesn't care about reality. "Oh, he lied about the call? That doesn't matter, what matters is that THE DEMOCRATS BELIEVED HIM AND TRIED TO SILENCE HIM AND LOCK HIM UP!"

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    If he's baiting, it exposes nobody because the subpoena will be issued and he'll be able to respond, "The call I mentioned doesn't actually exist and you fell for my carefully laid trap to PROVE that this is all a partisan war on Republicans!"

There's no real downside to this for him. It's red meat for the Republican base that doesn't care about reality. "Oh, he lied about the call? That doesn't matter, what matters is that THE DEMOCRATS BELIEVED HIM AND TRIED TO SILENCE HIM AND LOCK HIM UP!"
    I disagree.

The GQP will believe anything that Gym tells them, so the upside doesn't exist because they can just make whatever upside they want. So if it's not this, it will be something else, and something else after that, and then something else after that. A base that willfully elects someone like Gym Jordon doesn't need any reality to continue frothing at the mouth.

Conversely, if he is subpoenaed, and then tells everyone under oath that he lied, well, then he's a liar. However, if he tells the Committee that he did speak with Trump, but refuses to answer any substantive questions, it opens the door for getting Trump under oath. The upside is all for the Democrats here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    At this point, honestly, I'd rather just get a booster and let the Repubs get infected and die off to decrease their numbers, so sanity can return.

This is easily one of the stupidest unforced errors in world history.

We have to look inward as a country, ALL OF US, and really start to question what about our country-wide core beliefs and foundations, have allowed us rear so many stupid and awful people, then fix it.
    The problem is non-Republicans will die because of their stupidity. I have two children under the age of 12, and their vaccinations CAN'T happen until at least late this year. So all those fuckwads who don't vaccinate are endangering my children (on a personal level) and the health of this country (on a national level).

I would rather just se la vie it and let the GQP die off, but it's not just them who are affected.

Tuesday's report:

61,581 new cases; about 14k more than last Tuesday and doesn't include Florida (no numbers available).

Top 5:

Fuck Florida.
    California: 8,546 new cases; 24 deaths
    Texas: 7,961 new cases; 38 deaths
    Louisiana: 6,818 new cases; 20 deaths
    Georgia: 3,610 new cases; 16 deaths

Yeah, this isn't going away anytime soon and it's definitely a "pandemic of the unvaccinated" as it's been dubbed by experts. For most of the states on the list that makes sense, and California definitely belongs up there when you consider the sheer amount of GOP stupidity in that state. You don't need to look any further than "Basilico's Pasta e Vino" and their policy of "proof of being unvaccinated required" for service at their restaurant. Whatever the fuck that means. Fortunately for California the Dems still far outnumber the QAnon conspiracy-theory bullshit loving members of the GOP. The numbers there are almost purely driven by those fucknuts these days. Elsewhere the picture is about the same. Areas with lower vaccination rates are skyrocketing in terms of new cases and/or risk and it's not showing any signs of slowing.

339 deaths is about 50 fewer than last Tuesday and brings the total to 627,351. Once again this does not include Florida's numbers--looks like whatever magic worldometers was using to get daily reports from there has fizzled for the time being and we'll have to wait until Friday for Florida's weekly report--but they're undoubtedly still at the top of both charts given the way they were going at the end of last week. Texas and California round out the top 3 with 38 and 24.

Related news:

Louisiana sees highest spike in single-day Covid hospitalizations since start of pandemic--4th lowest vaccination rate in the country.
    “To see this current rise in Covid-19 cases and hospitalizations is becoming increasingly scary,” Gov. John Bel Edwards said in a statement.

According to him, roughly 90 percent of those hospitalized are unvaccinated. In a series of tweets Tuesday, Edwards urged residents to get the shots.

"As I said recently, this surge is on us, & that means it is up to each of us to do our part to bring it to an end. It’s within our power," he posted. "Getting vaccinated is the best way to stay safe & healthy during this pandemic."

Edwards said he would be recommending that everyone, including people who are vaccinated, wear masks while indoors when social distancing is not possible.

"For anyone asking the question when will this end, the answer is simple: when we decide to do what it takes to end it. The most impactful tools to make that happen are free & widely available- the three safe & effective vaccines," he wrote on Twitter. "I am pleading with everyone who is not vaccinated & is of age to make the decision today to get vaccinated."
    Still nothing from DeathSantis about masks or other precautionary measures. Fuck Florida.

CDC wants vaccinated Americans to wear masks indoors in Covid hot spots--Nice to see them FINALLY catch up to what I and many others here said months ago. I said back when they stated vaccinated people can go mask-less that that's a bad idea and boy do I hate when I'm right.

Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.

Stay safe, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Iowa governor suggests immigrants partially to blame for rising COVID-19 cases--Horse. Shit. Anything to avoid blaming Trump and the GOP for downplaying the whole thing for a year. Assholes.
    And yet another Simpsons episode has come true:

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    That's the new GOP/Fox News line overall. Even fucking Hiraldo on Fox ain't buyin it, but Greg Gutfeld is sure selling it hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
    And yet another Simpsons episode has come true
    The whole immigrant bringing diseases thing is a old racist trope.

I disagree.

The GQP will believe anything that Gym tells them, so the upside doesn't exist because they can just make whatever upside they want. So if it's not this, it will be something else, and something else after that, and then something else after that. A base that willfully elects someone like Gym Jordon doesn't need any reality to continue frothing at the mouth.

Conversely, if he is subpoenaed, and then tells everyone under oath that he lied, well, then he's a liar. However, if he tells the Committee that he did speak with Trump, but refuses to answer any substantive questions, it opens the door for getting Trump under oath. The upside is all for the Democrats here.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is non-Republicans will die because of their stupidity. I have two children under the age of 12, and their vaccinations CAN'T happen until at least late this year. So all those fuckwads who don't vaccinate are endangering my children (on a personal level) and the health of this country (on a national level).

I would rather just se la vie it and let the GQP die off, but it's not just them who are affected.
    Mask them and distance them. Its all you can do anyway. The idiots won't be swayed.
    "When Facism comes to America, it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying a cross." - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    In an effort to put to put any doubts that he might be something other than a petulant child, it turns out Donald Trump is fighting Biden's infrastructure deal behind the scenes because he's mad there wasn't one when he was president:
    I've long felt that one of Trump's biggest political mistakes (aside from being his awful self of course) was ceding policy agenda immediately to the House GOP and their priorities instead of pushing for an infrastructure package right out of the gate. Of course, he's a narcissist who knows jack shit about policy, and utterly incapable of leadership when it came to a legislative agenda, so it was never going to happen, but imagine if at the start of his maladministration he said "I was elected because I'm a builder and I'm going to rebuild America"- if he had pushed hard for Congress to focus on infrastructure right off of the bat, he could've:
    a) used his grip on the GOP base to get the Reps and Senators to support a broad spending package
    b) put some Democrats in a hell of a pickle, with the prospect of something they've wanted to do for a long time on one hand, and on the other hand a base that was still furious about Trump's win and wanted resistance
    c) done something popular and gotten credit for it
    d) done something good
    e) increased his own approval rating because of c) and d)
    f) gotten a ton of shit named after him

Honestly it's baffling why he didn't do this...but Trump being Trump, honestly it isn't baffling at all.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    I've long felt that one of Trump's biggest political mistakes (aside from being his awful self of course) was ceding policy agenda immediately to the House GOP and their priorities instead of pushing for an infrastructure package right out of the gate. Of course, he's a narcissist who knows jack shit about policy, and utterly incapable of leadership when it came to a legislative agenda, so it was never going to happen, but imagine if at the start of his maladministration he said "I was elected because I'm a builder and I'm going to rebuild America"- if he had pushed hard for Congress to focus on infrastructure right off of the bat, he could've:
    a) used his grip on the GOP base to get the Reps and Senators to support a broad spending package
    b) put some Democrats in a hell of a pickle, with the prospect of something they've wanted to do for a long time on one hand, and on the other hand a base that was still furious about Trump's win and wanted resistance
    c) done something popular and gotten credit for it
    d) done something good
    e) increased his own approval rating because of c) and d)
    f) gotten a ton of shit named after him

Honestly it's baffling why he didn't do this...but Trump being Trump, honestly it isn't baffling at all.
    Don't underestimate the Congress of 'not doing shit'. I'm not so sure Trump could have overcome that. Its not for want of trying by some that under Trump nothing happened except the corporate tax cut, the GOP couldn't agree to anything to actually do while holding all 3 branches.