10+ Year Old Account

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Well well well.

<shocked_pikachu_face.gif>
    Oh I hope the Select Committee subpeonas him and asks him why he felt the need to wear body armor to a supposedly peaceful rally and who tipped him off about the 'risks' that made him decide to wear body armor.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

Quote Originally Posted by YUPPIE View Post
    i feel like if trump dies any time in the foreseeable future, we're gonna see unprecedented acts of neo-fascist violence across America. The way there is so much hatred cultivated around one man's personality and what's happened already is not making it look good.

sure he has the best healthcare but he's old and he had his brother recently randomly die to believably natural causes.
    Is this self fulfilling prophecy you're talking about?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Wednesday's report:

84,534 new cases; about 25k more than last Wednesday. Florida included.

Top 5:

Fuck Florida (over 16k according to worldometers)
    Texas: 9,524 new cases; 71 deaths
    California: 7,478 new cases; 39 deaths
    Louisiana: 4,699 new cases; 14 deaths
    Georgia: 3,828 new cases; 10 deaths

Missouri has been out of the top 5 for a while but it's not because they're doing better, posting about 3k on the day and still refusing to report deaths. 23 states had more than 1k new cases to report and most of those are states with low vaccination rates. Florida continues blowing everyone out of the water in terms of death cults, however, still posting over double California's numbers. Texas is within reach of 10k again. Need a clearer picture of the trouble areas? Try this:

As per usual, shit's going South.

483 deaths is about 250 more than last Wednesday and brings the total to 628,098. That's a pretty huge difference but I'm inclined to believe it includes some corrections--and last week's total looked a bit low. Regardless, it's going up, as expected, and it's largely the unvaccinated paying the ultimate price here. Florida once again took top spot.

Related news:

Arkansas Children's hospitals report record high number of children hospitalized with Covid-19

Of the 24 children, seven are in intensive care and two are on ventilators, the hospital said. More than half of them could have been vaccinated -- anyone 12 and over is eligible for a free shot -- but none of those hospitalized had done so.
    Parents refusing to get their children above age 12 vaccinated without a valid medical reason should be charged with child endangerment at this point.

Abbott aims to restrict immigrant travel through Texas, citing rising Covid-19 infections--Another GOP governor trying to scapegoat immigrants because his own dumbfuck constituency can't follow simple rules and get vaccinated. Only 51% vaccinated (at least one dose), putting Texas 33rd in the nation. For comparison, if I included Puerto Rico (putting Texas 34th), they come in at 5th place with 69% (niiiice). I'm all in favor of kicking Texas out and making Puerto Rico a state.

CDC says nearly 67% of U.S. counties have substantial, high COVID-19 transmission--Whether you're vaccinated or not, wear your fucking mask.

Stay safe, folks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Fuck Florida (over 16k according to worldometers)
    Florida has chosen to put itself in a bad place. And in case anyone is thinking "well of course they have a high number, they're a large state" *ahem*

Florida is the second worst cases per capita.

You know what, fuck it, let's run the goddam table. They're second worst hospitalized per 100k, yeah that's a stat that's a cheery fucking read, barely better than Nevada. They're 5th in deaths per 100k, well 6th if you include the Virgin Islands, see previous comments about island nations.

And oddly enough, middle of the road with vaccination rates. Like, lampshading levels of coincidence, Florida is not only 25th but also matches the USA (rounded to the nearest %) at about 50%.

"Breccia, if Florida has a decent vaccination rate, why are they all getting sick and dying?"

I've seen bits and pieces here and there, so I won't claim there's a consensus. But my theory is threefold.

1) Old people. Florida by average age is 5th oldest (again 6th behind an island territory). Any disease will simply have a higher infection/mortality rate when exposed to an older, weaker population.

2) Having been there myself, I can attest to that the non-Disneyland areas of Florida are...not great economically. They're the tenth worst by average income, and while cost of living changes place to place, so therefore does quality, quantity, and accessibility of medical care. While Florida as a whole has decent health care, the swamps and panhandle do not.

3) DeSantis intentionally fueled a "fuck the public safety, we have T-shirts to sell" campaign that half the population took to heart, then to their lungs, then to the ICU. I would wager more than most states, certain people in Florida trying to decide whether to have fewer grades of education than teeth took to heart that they didn't need to "live their lives in fear" by wearing a mask, socially distancing, getting takeout, working from home (well, if possible, see above comment regarding income, and farmers don't really have that option so this isn't 100% a negative) or, yes, getting the vaccine. We've all seen the stories of people in some states decrying their "tyrant" governor using "unConstitutional" powers to keep their people safe against their will. Florida never had that. And with Delta cutting through them like vegan chili and a double espresso, they lack the will, the means, and the leadership to protect themselves.

"What's it going to take to reverse this?"

I...think it might be too late. And there are likely factors I haven't considered. But, if someone shook me awake and screamed at me to find a way to stop cases from rising, this would be it:

1) It's not Communism, fascism, or tyranny when a company does it. That's capitalism. Disney needs to step in. Oh wait they just did. Anyhow, major Florida employers need to start requiring masking by guests and vaccination by employees. DeSantis might try to pass a law to stop that, but honestly, I'm not sure he can. Or, counterpoint, if Disney requires vaccination and DeSantis blocks it, Disney could just...close. Or cut ticket sales in half or something.

I use "Disney" as an easy target. Other companies in Florida would have to do the same, but Disney's kind of a figurehead. Where they go, others will follow.

I would add "schools" but...yeah. Florida schools requiring masks are few and far between, and I would bet DeSantis is fighting those. I don't think they require vaccinations to attend in person, at least, not according to Florida's health care department. Plus the whole "12 and under" thing of course.

2) Blue states and airlines should make a collective deal and block traffic from Florida -- or require vaccination proof. And before you say "they already do" as a NY resident with a recent FL houseguest, no they don't. Other forms of travel, including truckers, should also have that slapped on. Maybe if their state is turned into a prison of their own making, some Floridians will roll their eyes, say "whatever" and get the shot.

3) They could, well...die. I hate to say this because this would require tens of thousands dead, but if enough Floridians die of COVID, the rest might actually start taking it seriously.

This is where math, the cold-hearted bitch that she is, comes in.

The current 7-day average deaths in Florida is 50. Cases are rising at +161% per 14 days and we all know deaths follow. On the morbid assumption that this trend contiues, it would take...60 days.

Trends continue until they're stopped. Florida needs to buck the curve they've put themselves on, or in three weeks deaths over 100 will be the norm. Nobody but Florida can change the path Florida has put Florida on.

Now I'll admit all of this is from research of public articles and talking to a Floridian or two. I know some of our posters are Floridians. Perhaps they could fill in the gaps or correct me where I'm wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Florida has chosen to put itself in a bad place. And in case anyone is thinking "well of course they have a high number, they're a large state" *ahem*

Florida is the second worst cases per capita.

You know what, fuck it, let's run the goddam table. They're second worst hospitalized per 100k, yeah that's a stat that's a cheery fucking read, barely better than Nevada. They're 5th in deaths per 100k, well 6th if you include the Virgin Islands, see previous comments about island nations.

And oddly enough, middle of the road with vaccination rates. Like, lampshading levels of coincidence, Florida is not only 25th but also matches the USA (rounded to the nearest %) at about 50%.

"Breccia, if Florida has a decent vaccination rate, why are they all getting sick and dying?"

I've seen bits and pieces here and there, so I won't claim there's a consensus. But my theory is threefold.

1) Old people. Florida by average age is 5th oldest (again 6th behind an island territory). Any disease will simply have a higher infection/mortality rate when exposed to an older, weaker population.

2) Having been there myself, I can attest to that the non-Disneyland areas of Florida are...not great economically. They're the tenth worst by average income, and while cost of living changes place to place, so therefore does quality, quantity, and accessibility of medical care. While Florida as a whole has decent health care, the swamps and panhandle do not.

3) DeSantis intentionally fueled a "fuck the public safety, we have T-shirts to sell" campaign that half the population took to heart, then to their lungs, then to the ICU. I would wager more than most states, certain people in Florida trying to decide whether to have fewer grades of education than teeth took to heart that they didn't need to "live their lives in fear" by wearing a mask, socially distancing, getting takeout, working from home (well, if possible, see above comment regarding income, and farmers don't really have that option so this isn't 100% a negative) or, yes, getting the vaccine. We've all seen the stories of people in some states decrying their "tyrant" governor using "unConstitutional" powers to keep their people safe against their will. Florida never had that. And with Delta cutting through them like vegan chili and a double espresso, they lack the will, the means, and the leadership to protect themselves.

"What's it going to take to reverse this?"

I...think it might be too late. And there are likely factors I haven't considered. But, if someone shook me awake and screamed at me to find a way to stop cases from rising, this would be it:

1) It's not Communism, fascism, or tyranny when a company does it. That's capitalism. Disney needs to step in. Oh wait they just did. Anyhow, major Florida employers need to start requiring masking by guests and vaccination by employees. DeSantis might try to pass a law to stop that, but honestly, I'm not sure he can. Or, counterpoint, if Disney requires vaccination and DeSantis blocks it, Disney could just...close. Or cut ticket sales in half or something.

I use "Disney" as an easy target. Other companies in Florida would have to do the same, but Disney's kind of a figurehead. Where they go, others will follow.

I would add "schools" but...yeah. Florida schools requiring masks are few and far between, and I would bet DeSantis is fighting those. I don't think they require vaccinations to attend in person, at least, not according to Florida's health care department. Plus the whole "12 and under" thing of course.

2) Blue states and airlines should make a collective deal and block traffic from Florida -- or require vaccination proof. And before you say "they already do" as a NY resident with a recent FL houseguest, no they don't. Other forms of travel, including truckers, should also have that slapped on. Maybe if their state is turned into a prison of their own making, some Floridians will roll their eyes, say "whatever" and get the shot.

3) They could, well...die. I hate to say this because this would require tens of thousands dead, but if enough Floridians die of COVID, the rest might actually start taking it seriously.

This is where math, the cold-hearted bitch that she is, comes in.

The current 7-day average deaths in Florida is 50. Cases are rising at +161% per 14 days and we all know deaths follow. On the morbid assumption that this trend contiues, it would take...60 days.

Trends continue until they're stopped. Florida needs to buck the curve they've put themselves on, or in three weeks deaths over 100 will be the norm. Nobody but Florida can change the path Florida has put Florida on.

Now I'll admit all of this is from research of public articles and talking to a Floridian or two. I know some of our posters are Floridians. Perhaps they could fill in the gaps or correct me where I'm wrong?
    You aren’t. We won’t. And my isolation continues into the 18th month while I yell at my coworkers about still having not gotten vaccinated.

I just want to be able to go eat lunch with my buddy again but, his mom is 80 and these cunts won’t help us all get through this shit.
    Last edited by unfilteredJW; 2021-07-29 at 02:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unfilteredJW View Post
    You aren’t. We won’t.
    F*ck.

Well, we'll have this conversation again in 21 days. If my anti-derivative of e^rt speaks the truth, that's when 7-day rolling deaths/day will hit 100.

A couple of caveats I would throw in:

1) Most of the elderly population in Florida is vaccinated--that's where the middle-of-the-road vaccination rate comes in. There was a concerted push to get them there because, let's face it, the GOP need the elderly vote in Florida. It won't protect them 100%, especially if the virus mutates to something that the current vaccines aren't effective against, but I recall it being a big deal early on. Now, not so much.

2) DeathSantis already signed a bill banning vaccination passports, so I would have to assume he'd attempt to do the same to any other attempt from businesses trying to keep their clientele safe.

3) Fuck Florida (sorry @unfilteredJW).

4) There are already 10's of thousands dead in Florida to COVID--38,840...that we know of.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2021-07-29 at 02:37 PM.

Parents refusing to get their children above age 12 vaccinated without a valid medical reason should be charged with child endangerment at this point.
    Could we pass a law saying that insurance companies don't have to pay for covid treatment for people who were medically eligible to get a vaccine but haven't? Would that be constitutional? Maybe a tad mean, but what else can we do?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    Could we pass a law saying that insurance companies don't have to pay for covid treatment for people who were medically eligible to get a vaccine but haven't? Would that be constitutional? Maybe a tad mean, but what else can we do?
    I think you might be overestimating how much conservatives who are denying the necessity of the vaccine also care about insurance. These are the same people who think free healthcare is the government taking their freedoms and would rather be uninsured than have free healthcare.

I mean, if they think Covid isn’t dangerous, why would they think they’d need insurance coverage for it?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Since Trump has to be in the middle of everything, he threatened to primary every Republican that voted for the $1 trillion dollar infrastructure plan. Not because of any policy but because it will be a win for Biden. And in Trumpism world, that is as bad as it can get. Also, he upgraded Romney to SUPER RINO status.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Since Trump has to be in the middle of everything, he threatened to primary every Republican that voted for the $1 trillion dollar infrastructure plan. Not because of any policy but because it will be a win for Biden. And in Trumpism world, that is as bad as it can get. Also, he upgraded Romney to SUPER RINO status.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp
    Considering the last few candidates he backed lost, I'm not sure that threat holds as much weight as he thinks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering the last few candidates he backed lost, I'm not sure that threat holds as much weight as he thinks.
    Especially with his acts to social media cut off.

He can’t tell the Trump faithful to threaten and coerce people to vote for the trump-ordained candidate, at least not so quickly or easily.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Does he graduate to uber rino next or is it ultra rino?
    I'll go with Uber Rino. Ultra Rino sounds like a form for a Transformer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    While I realize Eisenhower instated them, wouldn’t the normally “fiscally conservative” solution to interstate highways be privately-owned toll roads designed to nickle and dime users to death, more than any additional gas tax used to cover public road infrastructure would ever cost?
    The GOP was simply not as petty as they have become. And Eisenhower wasn't a party creature anyway - as a general, he had an idea what to do and he had a plan how to do it.

Pure rhino might better tap into his core demographic.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    That breakdown of vaccinations by State doesn't look very good. Even Illinois at 26th is worrisome considering we're preparing to throw open the doors to our schools with mask wearing just a suggestion for vaccinated and unvaccinated alike. A part of me thinks we're going to see one hell of a surge through the school systems at least one more time before this ends...or causes a new strand to mutate and sets us all back yet again.
    CPS will be mandatory for masks, though, not sure about rest of Illinois.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are already 10's of thousands dead in Florida to COVID--38,840...that we know of.
    Agreed, but I'm talking about current events. Cases are up nationwide, Florida is just the worst of the bunch. Think of it as "Florida Lives Matter" if you that makes any sense.

Also the vaccination passport ban is being challenged. I'd like to see how that ends.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    I'll go with Uber Rino. Ultra Rino sounds like a form for a Transformer.
    And Uber Rino sounds like a Transformer that turns into a passenger car.

Agreed, but I'm talking about current events. Cases are up nationwide, Florida is just the worst of the bunch. Think of it as "Florida Lives Matter" if you that makes any sense.

Also the vaccination passport ban is being challenged. I'd like to see how that ends.

- - - Updated - - -

And Uber Rino sounds like a Transformer that turns into a passenger car.
    I'm thinking more of a German tank used during WW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Land Raider is the next step up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.