10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I really doubt that Red school districts having a higher infection rate will goad desantis into doing anything.
    I believe it has. It's goaded him into hiding the death numbers. That's why I'm expecting local school districts to know and react when people they know and can physically point to, not just some abstract number they can pretend doesn't represent them, get sick, go to the hospital, and die.

Now, if that somehow magically doesn't happen, great. I don't think that's realistic, but I wouldn't mind a lower body count than Florida seems to be begging for.

But if, say...uh, Monroe school district, currently displaying the form to opt out of a mask mandate on their home page, yes it's available in Spanish, yes that's funny, they have 5,000 students and 300 teachers, 16:1 students per classroom, all of those figures are rounded. A single classroom gets quarantined, that's the same 0.3% we've been talking about so much.

But what are the odds it's a single classroom, and nobody else?

In a group of 300 teachers, if one dies, everyone will know. And that should be enough for there to be pushback.

Should. I fear we'll find out soon enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I believe it has. It's goaded him into hiding the death numbers. That's why I'm expecting local school districts to know and react when people they know and can physically point to, not just some abstract number they can pretend doesn't represent them, get sick, go to the hospital, and die.

Now, if that somehow magically doesn't happen, great. I don't think that's realistic, but I wouldn't mind a lower body count than Florida seems to be begging for.

But if, say...uh, Monroe school district, currently displaying the form to opt out of a mask mandate on their home page, yes it's available in Spanish, yes that's funny, they have 5,000 students and 300 teachers, 16:1 students per classroom, all of those figures are rounded. A single classroom gets quarantined, that's the same 0.3% we've been talking about so much.

But what are the odds it's a single classroom, and nobody else?

In a group of 300 teachers, if one dies, everyone will know. And that should be enough for there to be pushback.

Should. I fear we'll find out soon enough.
    Like you said, they just covered up the numbers. Desantis (or perhaps more specifically, various right-wing news outlets) simply won’t report teacher and student illness/deaths.

The GOP has for a while now, and especially with Covid, been a party of “pretend it didn’t happen and you face no consequences.”

And like I said, it’s obvious desantis is bungling this Covid thing and has been from the start. The number of Covid cases in Florida would be an absolute embarrassment if they weren’t so tragic. But he just doesn’t care.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The fact that there are actually cultists still believing in the fantasy "reinstatement" dates is mind blowing. Whoever is telling those people that it will happen has already been wrong at least 3 previous times, where they predicted dates and NOTHING happened. Nothing will happen. Most rational people understand this. Common sense says if a person has given me information that turned out to be completely false 3 times, maybe I should think twice about believing them the next time. But not Trumpers.

But that is the issue. Trump created a niche cult that is so eager to buy into his white supremacy that they turn a blind eye to reason. Just like Kim in North Korea, the goal of a dictator is blind obedience. If the dear leader says the sky is not blue, it is not blue. If he says down is up, down is up. And this is the mindset Trump followers are in. From the direction to disregard science with the covid vaccine and masks, to placing blame for Trump's mistakes on his fall guys like Dr. Fauci, to making threats to his enemies, it's deify him and believe only what he says even if it defies logic. Even if you are lied to by the same source over and over such as with these nonsense reinstatement theories, just believe the next date when another one passes and nothing happens.

Trump lost by a wide margin. The GOP asked for and had many monitors at every polling site checking for fraud, none was found during voting. Days BEFORE the election Trump said he would fight it in court if he lost, admitting he would claim fraud before the election even took place showing it was always about ensuring his victory and never about any real election fraud. Votes were counted and recounted and found accurate. All claims of fraud were found to be baseless and were started on nonsense reports that fell apart on any fact checking. They lost over 50 times in court. The results were certified despite the insurrection attempt. The Arizona GOP then angry like a child that Trump lost, decided they wanted to try to change the results and started their show audit after Arizona said the election's over, was certified, checked many times. Arizona said if you want to look at them more you can but it's over, Biden won. So the AZ GOP took them and fabricated a story about finding fraud to pander to their base, fueling their false conspiracy theories. As long as the cultists believe up is down and are obedient as they are told, the Arizona GOP knows they don't need to produce actual proof of fraud that passes any fact checking.
    Last edited by Biglog; 2021-08-13 at 03:08 PM.

Oh that’s not that bad, a local school district here in Indiana posted yesterday 61 positive students and 630 in quarantine after 9 days of school…

"How long has school been open?"

Two days.

"No, really."

Two days.
    Holy shit, that’s bad.

3) It's time again for Guess the Speaker!

"A Trump supporter trying to handwave red states' hospitals packed to capacity and claiming it isn't COVID but somehow a massive coincidence."

It's MTG.

I particularly like "we can't live forever" because I could use the same line, with equal psychotic indifference and equally ineffective justification, if I, hypothetically of course, pull the last four MMO-C posters banned for being serial trolls and shot them in the back of the head. I would never do that. But if I did, "we can't live forever" is no defense and no excuse. Neither is it for people who refuse to get vaccinated or wear masks, screaming about microchips or MUH FREEDUMB and then die literally choking on their words.

*BLAM* *chk-chk*
    I wish she'd lead by example here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biglog View Post
    But that is the issue. Trump created a niche cult that is so eager to buy into his white supremacy that they turn a blind eye to reason.
    Trump didn't create these idiots, they've always been there, they were just attached to some other bullshit.

Trump is not the cause of any of this, he's a symptom (probably the biggest and most obvious one) of a much larger problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by swiftowner View Post
    Oh that’s not that bad, a local school district here in Indiana posted yesterday 61 positive students and 630 in quarantine after 9 days of school…

Holy shit, that’s bad.
    We have a charter school here in Southern California that's not required to follow the district mask mandate.

We got word yesterday (the second day of school) that they already had cases of students with COVID. And I only know this because we know one of the people with COVID (family of anti-COVID vaccine, Fauci's an idiot, anti-masking Trump supporters), the actual numbers haven't been reported yet. Not sure if they ever will as Im not sure if they were doing contact tracing or not.

"COVID cases at a school filled with anti-masking idiots who likely aren't vaccinated!?"

You can imagine my *shocked Pikachu face* when I heard.

Thursday's report:

143,537 new cases; about 15.5k more than last Thursday.

Top 10:

Fuck Florida (again around 25k new record).
    Texas: 14,182 new cases; 140 deaths
    California: 12,063 new cases; 58 deaths
    Georgia: 7,016 new cases; 35 deaths
    North Carolina: 5,900 new cases; 16 deaths
    Tennessee: 5,507 new cases; 20 deaths
    Louisiana: 5,287 new cases; 54 deaths
    New York: 5,040 new cases; 28 deaths
    Mississippi: 4,412 new cases; 20 deaths
    Missouri: 3,580 new cases; still not reporting deaths

The numbers for Florida have been fluctuating the past few days, presumably because they're still playing footsie with the CDC. Their previous near-25k total this week has vanished, but, Florida being Florida, they quickly put up those numbers again Thursday. They're being dishonest as fuck about their deaths still, only posting 18 for Thursday. The rest of the list hasn't shuffled around all that much, but there are now 22 states with over 2k totals; 32 with over 1k. Florida has the second-highest cases per 100k at 98.6--which is a lot, considering. Louisiana currently holds the top spot with 121.8, which is abysmal. As far as infection rate goes...well, Kristi Noem better make sure she has enough ICU beds in South Dakota. Especially since she's letting a couple superspreader events go on now.

660 deaths is about 100 more than last Thursday and brings the total to 636,298. Still putting Florida on top because they're lying, but Texas might have the legitimate top spot today with 140 and California in third with less than half that.

Related news:

Supreme Court declines request by Indiana University students to block COVID-19 vaccine mandate--Good shit, and might help counteract DeathSantis' bullshit. Abbott probably doesn't need any help fucking up.

Four teachers from Florida county died from COVID-19 in last two days--You were saying, @Breccia? (EDIT: Yes, I know this couldn't possibly have been the result of school being open for two days, but it will likely still set things off.)

Texas officials scramble to staff hospitals as Covid-19 surge continues--Masters of their domain.

Stay safe, folks.
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2021-08-13 at 03:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Four teachers from Florida county died from COVID-19 in last two days--You were saying, @Breccia? (EDIT: Yes, I know this couldn't possibly have been the result of school being open for two days, but it will likely still set things off.)
    Oh jeez. And I can't imagine people are sprinting over there to take their places.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Like you said, they just covered up the numbers. Desantis (or perhaps more specifically, various right-wing news outlets) simply won’t report teacher and student illness/deaths.
    Oh, I agree.

But the people in that school district will still know, and hopefully act accordingly. If enough red school districts buck the anti-mandate, the blue ones will be allowed to as well.

I forgot to mention that Barrett was the one who rejected the appeal out of Indiana:

Justice Barrett rejects Indiana University students' COVID vaccine mandate appeal

So I was more than a little surprised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    I forgot to mention that Barrett was the one who rejected the appeal out of Indiana:

Justice Barrett rejects Indiana University students' COVID vaccine mandate appeal

So I was more than a little surprised.
    It's settled already, under Jacobson V Mass from 1905. And with many other rulings using that as precedent, overturning it would lead to the legal equivalent of a 7 weasel orgy in a gopher hole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    He later claimed it was “Anifa,” but gave no details.

Mike Lindell and not providing details, name a more iconic duo.

Also this screenshot cracks me up

“We have every packet capture and all the data from the whole election for the 2020 November 3rd election,” said Lindell.

When Alderson received Lindell’s data on Wednesday morning, he said it didn’t add up.

“But every person who came specifically looking for those p-caps was very disappointed. Some were somewhat angry,” said Alderson.
    https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2021/0...million-award/

Quote Originally Posted by wunksta View Post
    Mike Lindell and not providing details, name a more iconic duo.

Also this screenshot cracks me up

https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/2021/0...million-award/
    Uh...if Lindell does have all the election data that'd be like, super duper mega ultra illegal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, it's time to play Guess the Speaker!

No.
    Wow, okay. I admit, this is a tough one without context, but believe it or not, this quote is actually brought to you by www.IsTrumpPresident.com, which is in turn brought to you by the folks at The Lincoln Project.

Happy Friday the 13th of August.

That is all.

No, wait, there's more: Suck eggs, Mike Lindell!

Okay, carry on.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    My fav part of this is you just know how much stuff like this eats Trump up.
    Like Alec's impression of him or when he sued Maher over the orangutan being his mother joke.
    I mean he did produce his birth certificate after the fact to prove he is NOT the product of orangutans since Bill said he'd pay(this was around the Obama birther stupidity).
    That kind of thing just shows how much he pays attention. He'll tweet 40 times about something he says he doesn't watch and that he says is terrible so for sure he's seen this lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollycakes View Post
    That kind of thing just shows how much he pays attention. He'll tweet 40 times about something...
    Not anymore, he won't.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Not anymore, he won't.
    He'll make a better twitter! With underage girls, big macs and diet coke! In fact, forget the Twitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh jeez. And I can't imagine people are sprinting over there to take their places.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I agree.

But the people in that school district will still know, and hopefully act accordingly. If enough red school districts buck the anti-mandate, the blue ones will be allowed to as well.
    I’m not sure they will either. They’re the ones who elected desantis and are probably cheering him saying schools came mandate masks.

I mean the republicans, both politicians and electorate, are already mocking masks and vaccines despite the fact that they’re the ones getting sick and dying in the greatest number. These are people who don’t see the light until they’re on their deathbeds about it, and by then it’a a bit too late.

The only thing that will even begin to get these people to comply is the rule of law. If precedent exists to coerce them into following mask mandates, then it should be leveraged. The months it takes for the case to get to the Supreme Court, even if whatever precedent that is is overturned, could mean the lives of tens of thousands of people are saved. And not just the dumb idiot trumpkins who don’t want to get vaccinated, but the lives of children and people who can’t be as well.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    He'll make a better twitter! With underage girls, big macs and diet coke! In fact, forget the Twitter.
    Or maybe just a taco bowl and a picture of his ex-wife in a bikini?

Never mind, she was 21 in that photo.

But don't forget, Trump loves Hispanics!

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

is there some sort of street fighting violence planned for the 21st or 22nd? proud boys going to portland or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...if Lindell does have all the election data that'd be like, super duper mega ultra illegal.
    In related news, apparently one of the attendees at Mike Lindell's Symposium of Lies was found to have illegally accessed the voting machines in Mesa County, Colorado, which now have to be decommissioned and replaced and cannot be used for their elections this fall:
    https://www.npr.org/2021/08/12/10272...hines-are-bann

Colorado officials said Thursday that a local county clerk allowed an unauthorized person into a secure facility during an annual upgrade to the county's election equipment software, compromising the equipment.

The Mesa County clerk, Tina Peters, could be in legal trouble. She's currently at a conference led by a prominent election conspiracy theorist.

That security breach means Mesa County, in the far western part of the state, will not be able to use the equipment for its fall election. While the unauthorized access did not create an imminent, direct security risk to Colorado's elections, Colorado Secretary of State Jena Griswold said her office's investigation confirmed that the unauthorized person did release the passwords for the underlying voting machine software online.

"We know that that information was posted by an extreme conspiracy theorist last week," Griswold said, referring to the Gateway Pundit, a conservative news site that traffics in election conspiracy theories.

She has prohibited Mesa County from using the current Dominion Voting equipment for the next election. The county can replace it and install new equipment in the next few weeks or do a hand count this November.

...At a press conference Thursday, Griswold said her investigators found that an unauthorized person's name was entered into the log of people who were present for a secure software update conducted by Dominion employees at the county election division in late May.

Griswold said the person's presence violated the rules for several reasons. "He is not an employee — you have to be an employee to attend these. You also have to be background checked and the County Clerk's office specifically misled my office saying that he did comply with the rules."

Videos and photos from that update were later shared online by Ron Watkins, an influential member of the QAnon conspiracy movement.

Mesa County District Attorney Dan Rubinstein has assigned an investigator to look into the security breach, which could potentially lead to criminal charges.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkTZeratul View Post
    In related news, apparently one of the attendees at Mike Lindell's Symposium of Lies was found to have illegally accessed the voting machines in Mesa County, Colorado, which now have to be decommissioned and replaced and cannot be used for their elections this fall:
    https://www.npr.org/2021/08/12/10272...hines-are-bann
    So what I’m hearing is that attempted election security breaches and potential voter compromises DO happen!

…it just so happens to be that the republicans are the ones doing it. Funny, that.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.