7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by solinari6 View Post
    So this abortion ruling, it isn't really THE END, is it? It's just saying they won't put a stay on it while it winds it's way up to the Supreme Court? From what I read, it sounded like even the conservatives had major misgivings about the whole "anyone can sue" part of the bill. That CAN'T be allowed, can it? If that sort of things spread to other states, for abortions and whatever (guns? drugs?) we'd have chaos.
    Can’t and shouldn’t are two very different things.*Maybe* the democrats will get serious about the Supreme Court or start playing the same game the republicans are. In the meantime, women are slaves and targets in Texas now.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Man, your post is plagued by bad luck. SCOTUS just ruled 5-4 that Texas can do this.
    Is that a new ruling from just now? I thought the 5-4 ruling was just on whether to stay it or not. I can't believe they would overturn this completely without even allowing people to argue it front of the court.

*edit, yeah, I found this:
    The majority stressed that it had not formed a conclusion about the constitutionality of the law -- despite the order coming nearly 24 hours after the law, the tightest abortion restrictions since the 1973 landmark Roe v. Wade, took effect.
    "In particular, this order is not based on any conclusion about the constitutionality of Texas's law, and in no way limits other procedurally proper challenges to the Texas law, including in Texas state courts," the majority wrote.
    Last edited by solinari6; 2021-09-02 at 02:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that a new ruling from just now? I thought the 5-4 ruling was just on whether to stay it or not.
    Ah. Well, I suspect we'll see SCOTUS allow it anyhow. The 5 Justices who refused to sign this opinion, were the ones who didn't cite if it was Constitutional. Those that opposed said "this is pretty clearly not". I strongly suspect those 5 are finding excuses to look the other way, and are using the next six (or whatever) weeks to find something, anything, that allows Texas to do this.

Ah. Well, I suspect we'll see SCOTUS allow it anyhow. The 5 Justices who refused to sign this opinion, were the ones who didn't cite if it was Constitutional. Those that opposed said "this is pretty clearly not". I strongly suspect those 5 are finding excuses to look the other way, and are using the next six (or whatever) weeks to find something, anything, that allows Texas to do this.
    My thinking is that they (the conservatives) also KNOW it is unconstitutional, but are letting it stand for now, just to tip their hat that they are willing and to overturn Roe. Once this makes it in front of the Supreme Court, they are going to have to knock it down based on how crazy ass bonkers it is. Maybe they will just strike the "anyone can sue" part from the law. Like I said, it will lead to chaos otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    Can’t and shouldn’t are two very different things.*Maybe* the democrats will get serious about the Supreme Court or start playing the same game the republicans are. In the meantime, women are slaves and targets in Texas now.
    Democrats need to stop with the olive branch nonsense. It's not working, it pretty much never has. Pack the court 6 - 30 for good measure. Play the politics game by the rulesets in active use, aka, barely any, rather than some ideal set of rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Azadina View Post
    Democrats need to stop with the olive branch nonsense. It's not working, it pretty much never has. Pack the court 6 - 30 for good measure. Play the politics game by the rulesets in active use, aka, barely any, rather than some ideal set of rules.
    Honestly, seeing how they act makes it look like they don't really WANT to do what their voters want. They only pretend to want to do it when they have no power and then try and compromise it away when they get it.

It, to me, increasingly seems like they are trying to be an illusion of choice. They want what the Republicans want largely but don't want to give voters an alternative to them and as such only do just enough to keep the ship from sinking and keep the people from getting too violent. Explains why they have to be drug kicking and screaming by the voters to even put in real attempts to what they want, explains why they compromise when they don't need to, explains why they don't push hard on stuff like HR1 when the majority of the voters want it while the majority of the leadership CLAIMS they want it, and it explains why they fight so hard to keep people who will actually push for this stuff from running in their elections judging by their reactions to when AOC was elected in attempts to keep more like her out.
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Fugus View Post
    Honestly, seeing how they act makes it look like they don't really WANT to do what their voters want. They only pretend to want to do it when they have no power and then try and compromise it away when they get it.
    I can buy this. Partially because some are shit, but partially because they still have to play the stupid fucking campaign finance game so they have to remain beholden to big donors if they want to keep their positions. It's a shitty, awful, no good line to walk and I wish Democrats would force through campaign finance reform in the Senate somehow.

Get the corrupting influence of money out (or significantly reduced) and then we can pick and choose who's walking the walk and who's just an empty pair of shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I can buy this. Partially because some are shit, but partially because they still have to play the stupid fucking campaign finance game so they have to remain beholden to big donors if they want to keep their positions. It's a shitty, awful, no good line to walk and I wish Democrats would force through campaign finance reform in the Senate somehow.

Get the corrupting influence of money out (or significantly reduced) and then we can pick and choose who's walking the walk and who's just an empty pair of shoes.
    Agreed and, unfortunately, the only way to really do that is keep backing the Democrats at every chance in the general while trying to remove them at every chance in the primaries. Wish there was a better way but our system is setup where 3rd parties aren't viable....
    Since we can't call out Trolls and Bad Faith posters and the Ignore function doesn't actually ignore it. Add
    "mmo-champion.com##li.postbitignored"
    to your ublock or adblock filter to actually ignore ignored posters. Now just need a way to ignore responses to them as well.

So this abortion ruling, it isn't really THE END, is it? It's just saying they won't put a stay on it while it winds it's way up to the Supreme Court? From what I read, it sounded like even the conservatives had major misgivings about the whole "anyone can sue" part of the bill. That CAN'T be allowed, can it? If that sort of things spread to other states, for abortions and whatever (guns? drugs?) we'd have chaos.
    So beyond the horrors of this law basically outlawing abortion just with extra steps, this law if found "legal" is basically the end of the civil court system in the U.S. You know how people bitch that people can sue for anything, well this law literally allows anyone to sue for ANYTHING. With the current civil court system you at least had to prove you are directly affected by the defendant in the suit but this law allows you to go after anyone "involved" in the abortion even if you live all the way in Alaska where not even 5000 degrees to Kevin Bacon could connect you to the defendant. If this law is found to be Constitutional it creates legal precedent that even those not directly harmed by a defendant can sue which will open the floodgates. Give it 6 months and the entirety of U.S. civil courts will be backlogged for years and counting.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    So beyond the horrors of this law basically outlawing abortion just with extra steps, this law if found "legal" is basically the end of the civil court system in the U.S. You know how people bitch that people can sue for anything, well this law literally allows anyone to sue for ANYTHING. With the current civil court system you at least had to prove you are directly affected by the defendant in the suit but this law allows you to go after anyone "involved" in the abortion even if you live all the way in Alaska where not even 5000 degrees to Kevin Bacon could connect you to the defendant. If this law is found to be Constitutional it creates legal precedent that even those not directly harmed by a defendant can sue which will open the floodgates. Give it 6 months and the entirety of U.S. civil courts will be backlogged for years and counting.
    I look forward to laws allowing us to sue people for violating mask mandates. I'm going to be friggin RICH!

I look forward to laws allowing us to sue people for violating mask mandates. I'm going to be friggin RICH!
    I'm gonna sue you for posting on the internet hoping to sue people. Don't worry, just sue me back, 10k bounties from the state for everyone!

10+ Year Old Account
    BRB going to law school $$
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Time again for Guess the Speaker!

Stop using cattle dewormer you fucking idiots
    "That's you."

Correct. How about a quote from someone who matters?

We are alarmed by reports that outpatient prescribing for and dispensing of ivermectin have increased 24-fold since before the pandemic and increased exponentially over the past few months. As such, we are calling for an immediate end to the prescribing, dispensing, and use of ivermectin for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 outside of a clinical trial.
    "Uh...some medical group?"

It's most medical groups, but the AMA is top billing.

Use of ivermectin for the prevention and treatment of COVID-19 has been demonstrated to be harmful to patients. Calls to poison control centers due to ivermectin ingestion have increased five-fold from their pre-pandemic baseline. A recent CDC Health Alert Network Advisory recommends that health care professionals should counsel patients against use of ivermectin as a treatment for COVID-19, including emphasizing the potentially toxic effects of this drug, including “nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Overdoses are associated with hypotension and neurologic effects such as decreased consciousness, confusion, hallucinations, seizures, coma, and death.”

Time again for Guess the Speaker!

"That's you."

Correct. How about a quote from someone who matters?

"Uh...some medical group?"

It's most medical groups, but the AMA is top billing.
    I wish, even though it is fucked up, that when these idiots show up to hospitals for ivermectin poisoning they would instead be handed a Darwin award by the doctor and promptly kicked out to the curb on their asses.

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    I wish, even though it is fucked up, that when these idiots show up to hospitals for ivermectin poisoning they would instead be handed a Darwin award by the doctor and promptly kicked out to the curb on their asses.
    Nah, that is reserved for if they die due to a stupid act. They should be made to wear a dunce cap that glues to their head. However, if you take too much if it, it does give you diarrhea so them "relieving" themselves uncontrollably due to taking too much might just be the dunce cap in action.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    Nah, that is reserved for if they die due to a stupid act.
    Or castrate themselves. In one case someone got a special case because they dared their child son to stab them and he did -- the child was assumed to have gotten the better genes.

On topic: Trump attacks Nikki Haley for attacking him for attacking Pence.

Mike has been nothing but loyal to that man. He’s been nothing but a good friend of that man. I am so disappointed in the fact that, despite the loyalty and friendship he had with Mike Pence, that he would do that to him. Like, I’m disgusted by it.
    -- Haley

Well, every time she criticizes me, she uncriticizes me about 15 minutes late. I guess she gets the base.

Mike hurt himself very badly when he didn’t send the numbers back to the legislatures,
    -- Trump in response

Yep, that's Trump still insisting the vote was rigged.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone said Fuck Florida yet today?

Florida just added 1338 COVID deaths, even though their daily total for today is 11.

Florida's peak 7-day average for COVID deaths is now 245, on 8/16/21. For reference, the previous high marks were 201 back in January of this year and 227 in August of last year.

So again, if you live in Florida, stay safe and don't forget to vote out the death cult.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Florida just added 1338 COVID deaths, even though their daily total for today is 11.
    More time travel, I see. Their intentional choice of blatant lying will keep that highest peak ever magically a week behind, so things are magically always getting miraculously better while every day the population drops by a large city public high school graduating class.

Data from Florida seems to indicate it's ravaging Trump voters. I wouldn't be surprised if more than a dozen Trump voters die for every Biden voter.

All of the non-insane members of the GOP must be shitting their pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    Data from Florida seems to indicate it's ravaging Trump voters. I wouldn't be surprised if more than a dozen Trump voters die for every Biden voter.

All of the non-insane members of the GOP must be shitting their pants.
    That's another reason they are going so hard on voter suppression however killing that many of their supporters does not bode well for them in the long term.