10+ Year Old Account
    I think I might have found out why the Party of Trump is so energetic over Kyle Rittenhouse. It's not that he proved you're allowed to cross state lines to hunt human beings for sport. Maybe a little, but that's not really it. It's because everything else is going against them.

1) Reports are coming in that the murderous insurrectionists were told to buy and use cash burner phones to contact Eric Trump and Mark Meadows.

I mean...I'm not even sure that works, anymore.

Kylie Kremer, a top official in the “March for Trump” group that helped plan the Ellipse rally, directed an aide to pick up three burner phones days before Jan. 6, according to three sources who were involved in the event. One of the sources, a member of the “March for Trump” team, says Kremer insisted the phones be purchased using cash and described this as being “of the utmost importance.”

The three sources said Kylie Kremer took one of the phones and used it to communicate with top White House and Trump campaign officials, including Eric Trump, the president’s second-oldest son, who leads the family’s real-estate business; Lara Trump, Eric’s wife and a former senior Trump campaign consultant; Mark Meadows, the former White House chief of staff; and Katrina Pierson, a Trump surrogate and campaign consultant.

The member said a second phone was given to Amy Kremer, Kylie Kremer’s mother and another key rally organizer. The team member said they did not know who the third phone was purchased for.

“That was when the planning for the event on the Ellipse was happening, she needed burner phones in order to communicate with high level people is how she put it,” the March For Trump team member tells Rolling Stone, referencing Kylie Kremer.

According to the three sources, some of the most crucial planning conversations between top rally organizers and Trump’s inner circle took place on those burner phones. “They were planning all kinds of stuff, marches and rallies. Any conversation she had with the White House or Trump family took place on those phones,” the team member said of Kylie Kremer.
    This is yet more evidence that the Trump family was directly and personally involved in the planning of the murderous insurrection, something I bet @Edge- would like to know.

2) Mike Lindell has...look, the man is just insane.

So remember how he said he'd have a case before SCOTUS that would overthrow the 2020 election? Well, what he meant was, he would post some text on his website by 2020. The...I don't know the legal term for this, I don't think it's "complaint", the plaintiff's name isn't on it, the plaintiff's counsel's name isn't on it, and not a single state signed onto it, meaning it has the same legal weight as my blog post about taking the Nestle Tollhouse recipe and swapping out one egg white with 3tbsp of Starbuck's Espresso and Creme Doubleshot.

So there's no court case. Lindell said he's going to fly to five states to personally get five state AGs to sign up for it, which for some reason they haven't done yet but surely will after meeting him in person, sarcasm sarcasm.

As expected, Lindell says his inability to get this...case?...in court was a vast conspiracy by the RNC, which...wait, what?

How dare the RNC try and stop this case from getting to the Supreme Court. Shame on you, RNC! You are worse than Fox now!
    Huh. Yeah, Lindell went on that livestream he calls a TV network and told all four viewers that the most recent admission by the RNC that Trump lost, get over it, was proof the RNC was trying to shut him down. Which by my count, means the conspiracy includes Democrats, Republicans, all fifty states, Serta, Sealey, my blog about chocolate-chip cookies, Hunter Biden, Hunters on WoW, and the Monkey King that lives in his attic. At what point does it stop being a "conspiracy" when it's literally everyone except you?

3) In court, another wrinkle in the Trump Executive Time case which neither sides' lawyers apparently thought of. The judge in the federal court flat-out asked "Do I even have the authority to do this?"

Apparently there's a line in the law's text that says Executive privilege is not up for judicial review. It was challenged in 2001 and upheld.

4) This headline:

Dr. Jill BIden officially ends Melania's four year war on fucking Christmas.

Yep, that'll do.

5) Yet more from Kar's new book, Trump was "infuriated" when Barr didn't back his play.

Barr went and investigated Donald Trump’s crazy claims and unsubstantiated claims about election fraud, took them seriously, looked into them, and concluded that there was absolutely nothing to them.
    I'm not sure how mad I should be at Barr. Yes, he started an investigation based on Some Guy From Twitter's baseless claims. But at least, when he found nothing, he stopped the investigation and refused direct orders to go any fuhrer in the matter. Further! I meant further! Shit.

6) This one strikes me as a long-shot, but the fact that it's even being discussed is itself noteworthy. Trump could be criminally charged for telling Pence not to certify.

The judge and both sides in the case found themselves debating the scope of a law being wielded against many Jan. 6 defendants that makes it a felony to “corruptly” interfere with an official federal government proceeding and carries a penalty of up to 20 years in prison.

The statute is typically applied to court-related conduct, like threatening judges, jurors or witnesses. However, prosecutors have leveled the obstruction charge against about a third of the roughly 700 Jan. 6 defendants over their alleged efforts to disrupt the electoral vote tally that Congress was undertaking when a crowd loyal to Trump broke through police lines and forced their way into the Capitol.

At a hearing on Monday for defendant Garret Miller of Richardson, Texas, Nichols made the first move toward a Trump analogy by asking a prosecutor whether the obstruction statute could have been violated by someone who simply “called Vice President Pence to seek to have him adjudge the certification in a particular way.” The judge also asked the prosecutor to assume the person trying to persuade Pence had the “appropriate mens rea,” or guilty mind, to be responsible for a crime.

Nichols made no specific mention of Trump, who appointed him to the bench, but the then-president was publicly and privately pressuring Pence in the days before the fateful Jan. 6 tally to decline to certify Joe Biden’s victory. Trump also enlisted other allies, including attorney John Eastman, to lean on Pence.
    So, yeah. That's something he should be worried about too -- and if such communications happened, they're about to be handed over. It could be interesting to note, while Trump has so far avoided taking the stand, so has Pence basically because nobody needed to hear what he had to say -- he wasn't even suspected of involvement in this. He could be ordered to testify what Trump said to him.

It's a longshot, like I said.

7) Two members of Team Trump were ordered to pay court fees and such amounting to nearly $200,000 for their baseless "cases" about election fraud.

[quote]Lawyers Gary D. Fielder and Ernest John Walker filed their class-action suit in December 2020.

It accused a group of tech companies, nonprofits, and politicians of conspiring to unlawfully snatch away a Trump election victory, according to court documents seen by Insider. The case was dismissed in April.

The fine, ordered on Tuesday, is one of the first times a financial penalty has been attached to a rebuke of the mass of lawsuits seeking to undermine President Joe Biden's election win.

Their crowdfunded lawsuit accused figures like Mark Zuckerberg, Priscilla Chan and Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, as well as Dominion Voting Systems. There is no evidence that any of them interfered in the election.

The lawyers, calling their case the "largest civil rights class action in history," sought $1,000 compensation for every registered voter in the US, which would run to some $160 billion.

Naturally, the lawyers were stuck paying the $11,000 court fees but are calling the $187,000 fine "unfathomable" which is what I would say, if I took a crowdfunded court case that cost me more than I raised.

All this was from the last 24 hours. This is less about a competent political party and more like a high-school drama. So when they celebrate Rittenhouse, who apparently went to Mar-a-Lago (there were no confirmed survivors), it's because, after court case after court case after overturned E.O. and actions go against them, they can shrug and say "well, at least we can still murder people."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post
    So when do those doctors lose their license for malpractice?
    They don't. Doctors are state certified. Like, 96.78% sure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    They don't. Doctors are state certified. Like, 96.78% sure.
    You can make that 100%. As you are right. I don't expect them to actually lose their license but when I see a doctor brag about being on horse dewormer for over a year I think that doctor got him MD from the internet and shouldn't be allowed to practice medicine.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see a doctor brag about being on horse dewormer for over a year
    Well, for all we know, he had worms. Or, after 30 seconds of Googling, maybe he had head lice for a full year.

Personal anecdote: one of my guild's healers is an actual farmer. Yes, he can't find the stuff from horse vets. Yes, he knows why. Yes, he thinks it's stupid.

I don't actually wish violence or death on anyone, but, if some people taking horse dewormer (like, the stuff swiped from vet shelves, not the prescription for actual parasites) actually died, maybe it would slow this down. But I know just barely enough about medicine to know that drugs you take to kill lice and worms isn't going to kill a virus, unless it just flat-out kills the host. I know that, if you do hundreds of studies, by chance one might show ivermectin works, but we've done dozens and so far that hasn't happened.

I should also point out that, when I did a search for whether or not an anti-parasitic would work on a virus,
    (a) they all came to ivermectin vs. COVID and
    (b) they all said "no". Starting with the FDA.

I'm actually morbidly curious what the next "fad" will be. Ivermectin doesn't work. Hydrochloroquine didn't work. Huffing bleach is fucking retarded. I suppose that new anti-viral pill might do the job without, you know, making things worse, but with the rabid fanbase being consistently broke, I don't understand why they would rather pay money for treatment after getting sick, than getting an effectively free shot in any of the 50 states. Seriously we have so many vaccines we can afford to give them away. Anyone who doesn't have one by now, I'm guessing they never will. And the USA is not at herd immunity and is staring down the barrel of Thanksgiving and Christmas.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually morbidly curious what the next "fad" will be. Ivermectin doesn't work.
    I'm fascinated by the duality of "Pharma companies are evil and trying to kill you with untested shots" along with "I'm going to take this stuff from a pharma company in an untested indication".

The ability for the right wing to carry an unbelievable level of cognitive dissonance is endlessly fascinating.
    Forum badass alert:

10+ Year Old Account
    "untested shots"
    Wait, people are still saying that? That's not just wrong, that's intentionally wrong.

Every once in a while, someone will post something about someone vaccinated who still caught COVID and shrill "See? See! It doesn't work!" I see that personally like once a month, which as @Benggaul will sigh and admit, during that time 30,000+ people without the vaccine died from not having the vaccine.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump awarded ninth-degre black belt in Taekwondo.

No, really. That just happened.

"This sounds like some kind of honorary degree, which has no actual merits."

Like Trump University?

I don't remember this happening to anyone else, but apparently Putin got one, too. If there are any others, feel free to post those below. Until then, that pairing speaks for itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    1,237 deaths is over 300 fewer than two weeks ago
    This has been bugging me for a while. Hold on.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    1,339 deaths
    As expected. There's nothing anyone can do about the numbers reported on the day itself, results don't always land within seconds. But I do want to point out that the US, in terms of deaths, is not improving at the rate it needs to.

Experts predict an alarming surge of US COVID-19 cases this winter

From Nov. 18:

“I’ve been predicting a pretty bad winter wave again, and it looks like it’s starting to happen,” Peter Hotez, the dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine, told The Guardian. “There’s just too many unvaccinated and too many partially vaccinated [people].”

According to the latest data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the average of new daily coronavirus cases in the U.S. has surpassed 85,000, a more than 14 percent increase from a week ago.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) projected about 863,000 total deaths from the coronavirus pandemic by March 2022. However, the CDC reports 762,994 people have already died in the U.S. from COVID-19. The IHME’s worst-case scenario projection predicts nearly 2 million coronavirus deaths by March 2022.
    You don't need a math professional to do the rest. 100k people from Nov 18 to let's say March 1 would be almost exactly 1k a day, which is actually better than right now. But not good. It's still a thousand people dying, every day, for three months and change. And it wouldn't be that spread out, of course, that last butt-fugly peak was Jan 7-9.

Please be safe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wait, people are still saying that? That's not just wrong, that's intentionally wrong.
    *replays yesterday's conversation with my parents* yes. Yes they are. I'm not so sure it's intentionally wrong in a malicious way but rather intentionally wrong in a "I refuse to look at news sources other than right wing media" way. And oddly enough my parents are vaccinated but only because I told them to and I work in a field that gives me credibility on medical topics.

Trump awarded ninth-degre black belt in Taekwondo.
    tell me you don't care about the legitimacy of your martial art without telling me you don't care about the legitimacy of your martial art.
    Forum badass alert:

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    “I have been on ivermectin for 16 months, my wife and I,” Dr Bruce Boros told attendees at the event held at the World Equestrian Center in Ocala, adding: “I have never felt healthier in my life.”
    Maybe I am just easily entertained, but this made me laugh.
    “There you stand, the good man doing nothing. And while evil triumphs, and your rigid pacifism crumbles to blood stained dust, the only victory afforded to you is that you stuck true to your guns.”

I don't actually wish violence or death on anyone, but, if some people taking horse dewormer (like, the stuff swiped from vet shelves, not the prescription for actual parasites) actually died, maybe it would slow this down. But I know just barely enough about medicine to know that drugs you take to kill lice and worms isn't going to kill a virus, unless it just flat-out kills the host. I know that, if you do hundreds of studies, by chance one might show ivermectin works, but we've done dozens and so far that hasn't happened.
    Nah, they'll still take it. This has the nice side effect of giving someone uncontrollable diarrhea if taken in larger quantities. Since we all know Trump wear depends and randomly shits himself, they can be just like Mike, I mean Trump. Wearing Depends and randomly shitting themselves pretending they too can be President Poopy Pants.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I missed that detail and now have a mental image of him doing dressage after his speech.
    He couldnt do that, the worms made the horse too sick..

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Maybe I am just easily entertained, but this made me laugh.
    Not just you, saw that too, was gonna reply with some the onion joke, but couldn't come up with anything. Got me a chuckle too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fascinated by the duality of "Pharma companies are evil and trying to kill you with untested shots" along with "I'm going to take this stuff from a pharma company in an untested indication".

The ability for the right wing to carry an unbelievable level of cognitive dissonance is endlessly fascinating.
    I would honestly love to see the investment information from the nutjobs hawking ivermectin as a miracle cure and how many have money in its manufacturers.
    "If you are ever asking yourself 'Is Trump lying or is he stupid?', the answer is most likely C: All of the Above" - Seth Meyers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaydin View Post
    I would honestly love to see the investment information from the nutjobs hawking ivermectin as a miracle cure and how many have money in its manufacturers.
    I would love to be a fly on the wall when that company is talking about it's upcoming financials. Talk about laughing all the way to the bank.
    Forum badass alert:

This has been bugging me for a while. Hold on.
    Yeah, well, I started waiting a half a day or more before writing up the reports for the previous day because more and more states started missing the deadlines for getting their numbers in. I used to write up the reports within an hour of the deadline (around 2am my time) and it barely changed in the following days apart from the odd correction. Now it's so much more of a pain in the ass to keep track of. Case in point, hours after I posted my report for Tuesday (on, for me, 1pm Wednesday) Michigan finally sent their numbers in which added another 150 deaths to the total and over 10k new cases, completely throwing off everything and making the gap between Tuesday and two weeks ago widen to around 23k as opposed to the, what, 3.5k I originally stated? Sheesh. Yes, several states blew that one.

At some point I'll probably just give up posting numbers altogether and just focus on visible trends because so many states like Florida are obscuring the real time information so much it's impossible to make an accurate daily report. Even the 7-day averages aren't accurate. The 7-day average for deaths was below 1k for nearly a week--then Florida's backfill came in and lifted all of those previous totals and left us with only one or two sub-1k days. It's bananas, and it's frustrating actual scientists and researchers who need this data as opposed to some random forum poster providing commentary.

Right now people can get at least an idea of how bad things are in the top ten (except yesterday because Michigan knocked one of the other states out of the top ten...*sigh*) and I try to keep folks abreast of where things seem to be heading in which parts of the country. Oh, and when a doctor who treated himself with ivermectin for over a year catches COVID but it's okay because they're responding well to the ivermectin that they're currently being treated with...
    Last edited by Benggaul; 2021-11-25 at 12:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well. Let's review.

1) The RNC is paying some of Trump's legal bills.

"That's not a huge surprise, lawyers do all kinds of stuff while campaigning."

They're paying some of his legal bills for the Trump Org business investigation.

"But...why?"

They're claiming the lawsuits are politically motivated. And not, for example, because he's a fraud who doesn't pay taxes and got caught.

"Isn't Trump a billionaire?"

Well he says he is.

"Can't Trump cover political costs with his own PAC? Or leftover campaign funds?"

I have no idea what the laws/rules are here, but nothing about this is normal. We know Trump has paid $7.8 million to sue the election. The RNC is paying $120,000, also known as "92.31% of a whore" in legal bills. If it really is political, Trump could pay for it himself. If it isn't, the RNC might possibly be paying because they avoid certain loopholes PACs don't, but again, Trump claims to be worth billions.

I suppose the RNC could be trying to buy Trump off, but that's just not learning from history. Trump won't care in 2024 what someone did for him in 2021. And Trump routinely breaks contracts and social norms. Bribing him is pointless.

2) Speaking of, the next wave of subpoenas in the Trump Org case seem to signal, at least to the NYTimes, a change in direction for this new second grand jury. Specifically, we've known for a while Trump tells tax agencies one value and his moneylenders a different value. It looks like the Manhattan DA is focusing more on the latter.

"Why?"

Well, probably because the evidence makes that a stronger case. Or, if it was me, because the penalties would be far harsher. Imagine you have two choices:
    a) Trump cheated on his taxes, but the loans are accurate
    b) Trump paid fair taxes, but the loans are on inflated values
    Which, if proven in a court of law, would cause bigger problems? I would imagine "the one that means Trump lied on a bunch of loans and Deutsche Bank decides they get all their money back now".

3) Mike Lindell had a rally outside FOX News to protest them.

The crowd was like 20 people.

4) And, well, Trump gave Bernie Kerik permission to break lawyer-client confidentiality to answer Congress's subpoena with a bunch of proof that the election was stolen.

"Oh, I did not know Bernie Kerik, former NY Police Commissioner, was also a lawyer."

He isn't. And he never was.

"...what privilege is Trump talking about?"

Um...none. He's insane. This was in an email, not an impromptu statement, so you can't blame a slip of the tongue. He wrote it, presumably had it proofread (no sympathies if he didn't), and hit "send to all".

"Why did he wait until he was subpoena'd before providing this proof?"

He wouldn't. Trump is insane.

Kerik is most likely referring to "Hammer" and "Scorecard", which basically claims a commie librul elite deep-state supercomputer broke into millions of votes and changed them.

"How?"

Oh, it didn't. No such thing exists.

"Well at least Kerik is a known American Patriot and Very Fine Person."

Yes, as shown by the time he was found to have an illegal immigrant nanny.

"Okay, but--"

Or the time he committed tax fraud.

"...it--"

Or the other seven times he committed tax fraud. He plead guilty. And Trump pardoned him.

"...I mean--"

Or, the time he was working for W and took a bribe of $250,000. He plead guilty to that one, too.

"..."

And the time he took apartments set aside for 9/11 responders and used them to cheat on his wife.

"..."

Twice. No wonder Trump likes him.

"Did he at least graduate from college without causing problems?"

Um...no. He did not graduate from college at all.

"...high school?"

No.

Sticking with a quickie report for Wednesday before the long weekend because 1) I got a late start today and have to run out the door soon and 2) I'm not convinced all of the numbers are in for the day.

104,819 new cases (about 10k more than two weeks ago); 1,594 deaths (around 50 fewer than two weeks ago), bringing the total to 798,245. As a reminder, thanks to the holiday reporting is going to be spotty as best for the next several days and probably won't be anywhere near accurate until the end of next week, so I'll probably stick to quickies until then.

I know y'all want to be with your families during the holiday but please be smart about it and take the necessary precautions. Happy Thanksgiving.

Stay safe, folks.

The US has hands down basically pivoted to being really hilariously tragic reality television.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    The US has hands down basically pivoted to being really hilariously tragic reality television.
    No, if you broadcast it as a show people would complain a lot that its way to far fetched and unrealistic.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    No, if you broadcast it as a show people would complain a lot that its way to far fetched and unrealistic.
    Made me lol in a good way. You're right, this is more like the Truman Show. Keep the charade up and just let everyone react like it's really real.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    I’d be inclined to agree with you… if the rest of the world also wasn’t, in no small quarter, also handling the pandemic in a poor way.

That other countries have anti-Vaxxers and anti-maskers is just absurd. They don’t even have the “excuse” of Trump and the GOP egging on their idiocy like the US does.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I’d be inclined to agree with you… if the rest of the world also wasn’t, in no small quarter, also handling the pandemic in a poor way.

That other countries have anti-Vaxxers and anti-maskers is just absurd. They don’t even have the “excuse” of Trump and the GOP egging on their idiocy like the US does.
    I don't even think it's just the pandemic though. The entire system just seems to be creaking more than an old gran's knees.