Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That's cool and all, Dick, but literally fuck you forever and I won't be remotely sad when that repulsive sack of decaying flesh kicks the bucket. Sure he's, oddly, one of the few reasonable Republicans left, but that's largely because the overton window has shifted so far to the right that his batshit neoconservatism is now tame by comparison.
    It's concerning to see so many Dems cheering him for this (or anything, really). They're much more comfortable with Republicans bringing fascism and death to brown people overseas than to their own kids I guess, which makes sense.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kim-c...b09fecea4c82cc

In their war against legal voting, targeting populations that are statistically more likely to vote Democrats, Minnesota's candidate for SOS, Kim Crockett, think that allowing disabled and non-English speaking voters to vote with help "raises the question, should they be voting?"

“So, the Minnesota Supreme Court ruled that indeed you can help an unlimited number of people vote if they are disabled or can’t read or speak English, which raises the question, should they be voting?” she said during the September 2020 radio interview, which occurred less than a week after the ruling. “We can talk about that another time.”
    Republicans want to bring back poll testing, but specifically only if it targets unlikely Republican voters.

The reason why the state legislature wanted to limit the number of people who could assist is that they worried that vulnerable voters would be taken advantage of and that political operatives, or other people with bad motives, would assist an unlimited number of people by influencing their votes with their own preferences,” Crockett said. “As an Election Day attorney I’ve witnessed, over and over, vulnerable voters being ‘assisted’ who have no idea how to fill out their ballot, who is on it or even what it’s for; their assistant tells them what to do and then moves on to the next voter.”
    In which Republicans, again, think that Democrats are all just as dishonest and corrupt as they are, and can't seem to fathom that Democrats writ large, aren't. Want more?

“I think of America, the great assimilator, as a rubber band, but with this — we’re at the breaking point,” Crockett said, according to The New York Times. “These aren’t people coming from Norway, let’s put it that way. These people are very visible.”
    Just with the outright whistle, because Republicans have given up dog whistling. Want more?

At the May state GOP convention, Crockett also played an antisemitic video that portrayed Minnesota Secretary of State Steve Simon (D), who is Jewish, as a puppet of George Soros, the Jewish billionaire who contributes to numerous liberal-leaning campaigns, organizations and causes.
    Some antisemitism to go along with it, too.

That's cool and all, Dick, but literally fuck you forever and I won't be remotely sad when that repulsive sack of decaying flesh kicks the bucket. Sure he's, oddly, one of the few reasonable Republicans left, but that's largely because the overton window has shifted so far to the right that his batshit neoconservatism is now tame by comparison.
    The irony is Trumpism made people switch real ugly on Bush/Cheney. Mainly for the Iraq War. Now I'm all for people who think that Bush was horrible and the Iraq War in particular was very wrong. I share this. Yet here is the problem. Most the of the are die hard conservatives who will eat shit if they think that makes them more Patriot to own the Libs. Almost all these people literally called people traitors who questioned the Iraq War and WMD. Look at the Dixie Chicks.

As I stated people can change and I'm for it but they didn't go to the party that some went voted for the War, did question the war and came to conclusion it was horribly wrong. So in the end the Republican Party was hijacked but I still contend there was very much fascism, racism and white nationalism before Trump. They just hate Cheney now, cause he is not bowing before god, emperor Trump.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    non-English speaking voters to vote with help "raises the question, should they be voting?"
    I mean, yes they should vote, if they're American citizens you get to vote. Duh.

https://www.today.com/parents/parent...dent-rcna41710

"With age comes wisdom and she’s pretty young. That’s my nice way of saying she’s not very smart," Watters told his "The Five" co-hosts. "You know when you like pick a banana and the banana’s in your hand and it’s green and then even if you try to peel it, it’s still not even peeling? That’s AOC. She’s not ripe enough to run for president."

Rep. Ocasio-Cortez is currently engaged to longtime boyfriend Riley Roberts. At 32, Rep. Ocasio-Cortez is not old enough to run for the highest office in the country, as the Constitution prevents anyone under the age of 35 to serve as president.

Watters acknowledged Rep. Ocasio-Cortez's engagement, adding "then you have to get pregnant."

"Why?" Greg Gutfeld, a "The Five" co-host, asked Watters.

"This is how it goes. Just follow me, Greg. You get married. Then you get pregnant and then once you have the baby, you have a family and the media loves it," Watters explained. "They eat it up. And it makes you more of a mature person."
    In which Jesse Waters thinks that a woman needs to get married and pop out a kid before they're ready to be president. Qualifications that are nowhere in the Constitution, mind you.

I swear, Republican men daily hate-masturbate to AOC and wish that she'd step on them.

Don't worry, he has other opinions too -

On May 5, "FOX & Friends" host Brian Kilmeade said he didn’t “know why you’d give” a pregnant woman an “important” job when discussing Nina Jankowicz's appointment to a Department of Homeland Security advisory board.

At the time, Jankowicz was eight months pregnant.

“I’m not sure how you get a job and then you just — you can’t do a job for three months,” Kilmeade said, referring to a three-month-long maternity leave the Fox News host assumed Jankowicz would take after giving birth.

“I’m not faulting her," he added, "but I don’t know why you would give someone a job that you think is so important."
    Because he seems to have issues with pregnant women, too.

Man, it sure just seems like Republican men just don't really like women doing anything beyond being walking baby factories.

Haha! I don't know where to put this but this is great.

Hello I would like to share with you the most astonishing thing I have ever seen

At this CPAC booth you receive a silent disco headset that plays harrowing testimony from people arrested for participating in J6

Instead of dancing, you stand around and watch this guy cry

Vid embedded please watch.

So we have a performance artist at CPAC who sat in a jail and cried nonstop (props to the artist). For you know, the injustice and persecution of Jan 6 rioters, insurrectionist.

Conservatives talk about liberal tears and reacting with "eff your feelings". LUL.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Republicans want to bring back poll testing, but specifically only if it targets unlikely Republican voters.
    If the Republicans want to bring in some kind of intellectual test of whether you are fit to vote, then good luck to them. I'm pretty sure it won't work out for them the way they want.

Only joking, btw. Any sort of restrictions on voting like that are asking for trouble. Especially if a party like the Republicans get hold of them.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    If the Republicans want to bring in some kind of intellectual test of whether you are fit to vote, then good luck to them. I'm pretty sure it won't work out for them the way they want.
    They want an anti-intellectual test.

They're capitalist Pol Pots.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Cipollone subpoena'd.

"Paywall."

This one isn't.

"Wait, again?"

Yes, he was subpoena'd before, by the Jan 6th panel. This appears to be a grand jury subpoena. He's already testified before Congress. That's part of how we know he pushed back on Trump's insurrection attempt.

As a reminder, Cipollone was at the time White House Counsel. I'll ask @cubby for verification, but this seems really bad to me. There's at least two forms of privilege in play here, lawyer-client and Executive Time. We also know that Cipollone invoked both when testifying before the Jan 6th panel.

And yet, subpoena.

So, if I had to guess, I'd say Cipollone is being asked about Trump's call to Georgia. For one, we know that was a re-election issue, therefore, no Executive Time. For two, I don't believe Trump had Cipollone talk to Georgia on his behalf, which means no lawyer-client either. And for three, if Trump was committing a crime by extorting Georgia, Cipollone wouldn't be able to invoke privilege anyhow. Privilege doesn't cover criminal behavior.

Cipollone, as a witness, holds high value. Trump hired him, so there's that, but he also pushed back. Everyone who isn't being an intentional contrarian, and isn't insane, will give his word respect. And I'm guessing, due to timing, the subpoena will only ask Cipollone questions to which we already know the answers. I admit it's possible the prosecutor will also ask for more, but at listed above, I don't know what Cipollone can say is covered by privilege when he wasn't part of the insurrection, part of a re-election, or part of a criminal conspiracy.
    The Grand Jury subpoena is very bad. While he might invoke privilege for that testimony, at least they will have the questions asked on record in that investigation as well.

I'm starting to get some hope here that Trump might actually be charged.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    That made my chuckle.

For all I have zero like or empathy for Trump, I do still really regret the lost opportunity he had. When he was first running I was cautiously hopeful that he could be the kind of chaos that could actually make real change in the government that a career politican never would. Trump had an opportunity for the first while he was in office where if he had really pushed for it, he could have done big things like term limits and campaign finance reform. He had the fear from both sides of what he might do that he COULD have done great things.

Instead..... we got what we got.

Its highly dissappointing and I'm not sure how long it will take before we get someone else who could make a real difference and actually wants to.
    Your wet dream is yours alone. The orange grifter never had any such aspirations, not even close. I don't know why you ever even entertained such an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The Grand Jury subpoena is very bad. While he might invoke privilege for that testimony, at least they will have the questions asked on record in that investigation as well.
    Doesn't sound like that privilege will work with the grand jury: (Nick Ackerman served as an assistant special Watergate prosecutor)
    Ackerman said that unlike the House panel, federal investigators won't let the former Trump lawyer cite executive privilege over conversations he had with Trump in his final days in office.

"They (the jan 6th committee) allowed him to claim attorney-client privilege. None of this is going to go anywhere with the feds," Ackerman said. "He is going to claim privileges with individual questions. They will take him to a court judge, who is going to order him to testify and tell him there is no privilege."

The former Watergate prosecutor said Cipollone could try to appeal those rulings, but he added that the investigation would move much swifter than the House committee's hearings have this summer.

"Pat Cipollone is going to be talking more before the grand jury," he said.
    Last edited by solinari6; 2022-08-06 at 12:25 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Apparently a group of women here in Texas have co-oped MAGA for to start a group called Mothers Against Gregg Abbott.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumble View Post
    When he was first running I was cautiously hopeful that he could be the kind of chaos that could actually make real change in the government that a career politican never would. Trump had an opportunity for the first while he was in office where if he had really pushed for it, he could have done big things like term limits and campaign finance reform. He had the fear from both sides of what he might do that he COULD have done great things.
    Why in the world would you think Trump of all people would do any of that given the decades of swindling, conning, flimflamming, stealing, and more that he's done? He was a well known terrible person his whole life.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dontrike View Post
    Why in the world would you think Trump of all people would do any of that given the decades of swindling, conning, flimflamming, stealing, and more that he's done? He was a well known terrible person his whole life.
    To be fair, while over here (I don't live in the US) very few people thought something benevolent would come out of Trump's presidency, the overall feeling at the start was "How bad can it be really?"

And then he showed us just how bad it was :s

Just with the outright whistle, because Republicans have given up dog whistling. Want more?
    So they finally admit that not everyone wants to come to the US and Scandinavians rather stay where they are?
    One could now ask the question "Why do they not want to come?" and maybe come up with the answer "Well, seems life is better in Norway" and then ask the question "But why is it better?" and then come to many conclusions.
    If only Republicans were intelligent life forms... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Because why wouldn't he, right?

Especially when...

Still not sure why he's pushing that "The Wall" was completed. He knows these things can be checked, no? Surely some of these people know it isn't true.

I'll assume the MTG thing was posted already. Holy shit that was cringe. Who knew people that committed crimes sometimes spent time in jail.
    The fact he goes hard after drug dealers when he himself is a known massive coke fiend and was for years along with his son. Hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    To be fair, while over here (I don't live in the US) very few people thought something benevolent would come out of Trump's presidency, the overall feeling at the start was "How bad can it be really?"

And then he showed us just how bad it was :s
    When he first announced his candidacy, I thought he was the joke candidate as there is usually one every election during the primaries. I stated back then and state it now, anyone who votes for Trump deserves all the derision and ridicule that can be mustered as he is literally one of the worst humans living today. A fascist, authoritarian scumbag. I would rather vote for dirt on the street then him.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a shining example of "how not to do statistics:, FOX News surveys people at a Trump rally about who they want to run in 2024.

Big surprise: FOX News polls at Trump rallies get people who want Trump to run. What are the odds?

Another Trump fan said: "We had everything great under Trump. Now everything is a disaster. It should be obvious to everybody that the country needs Trump back."
    Looks like FOX News is in trouble. Anyone in their right mind reading this would assume they were being sarcastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    When he first announced his candidacy, I thought he was the joke candidate as there is usually one every election during the primaries. I stated back then and state it now, anyone who votes for Trump deserves all the derision and ridicule that can be mustered as he is literally one of the worst humans living today. A fascist, authoritarian scumbag. I would rather vote for dirt on the street then him.
    Yeah, I still don't really understand how the fuck he became the president. Everyone thought he was a joke. This whole notion of how the chaos he creates might actually bring some good out of it as also baffling to me. Especially when the one creating it is a moron and an opportunist, only ever looking for himself. He's a businessman, and that's what businessmen do. If anyone thought that a wealthy businessman would make a good president, because he'd use his skills to make the country rich, is as stupid as Trump is. No sweetheart, they don't do it to make others rich. Just themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Yeah, I still don't really understand how the fuck he became the president. Everyone thought he was a joke. This whole notion of how the chaos he creates might actually bring some good out of it as also baffling to me. Especially when the one creating it is a moron and an opportunist, only ever looking for himself. He's a businessman, and that's what businessmen do. If anyone thought that a wealthy businessman would make a good president, because he'd use his skills to make the country rich, is as stupid as Trump is. No sweetheart, they don't do it to make others rich. Just themselves.
    Because at least half of the Republicans are deplorables and the whole birther movement was right up their racist alley.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Trump voters got exactly what they wanted, in Trump. His election was not in any way an accident or a mistake. It's what those Americans wanted. The fascism, the bigotry, the hatemongering, the scapegoating, the intentional harms towards ideological enemies. That was what Trump voters wanted, and it's what they got. You're struggling to see the reasonable justifications for supporting Trump, but it wasn't reasonable. It's like wondering why anyone listens to David Duke or any of the hate-preachers out there; the petty abuses and encouragement of violence is what the audience is seeking out.