10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    I give you Matt Schaefer, Texas State Representative for District 6:

Thoughts and prayers, folks! God gave us the guns!
    Out of curiosity, if God should change the hearts and minds of the evil, why does Texas have the death penalty? Shouldn't they just release all the prisoners and pray they'll do no more harm?

Also, what's the point of saying "pray for protection and get a gun"? If prayers can stop bullets, what do you need the gun for?

And finally, guns in Texas aren't allowed in federal buildings. That's funny. Is this admission that the federal government doesn't believe in thoughts and prayers?

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    This all happened because the media worked against Trump from the beginning. He built his own counter-media as a response. If the media was more favorable to him, he'd have tweeted less - and obviously his tweets wouldn't be on the frontpages of news nearly as much as they do now. He'd be like all other presidents - yeah, flawed, everybody kind of has an axe against him. But there wouldn't be an open war between him and the media, and the polarization would have been much lower.

"worked against". You mean "reported about" right? Or you have some proof of some grand conspiracy that media companies conspired to get the next president elected?

I'm sorry, but I don't remember fox working against trump from the beginning?

I mean the TOP rated fox, the greatest with the bigly ratings fox, was behind trump and still is.

its funny how people love to brag about fox rating, but when it comes to crying about the MSM they ignore fox in the discussion.

"has an axe against him". You mean "reporting on the fucked up things he's doing" right?? I mean to have an "axe against him" would imply that Trump has done something directly against the Media that would cause some kind of revenge plot. If anything the media is benefiting from his presidency.
    Could you be confusing reporting vs an "axe"??

Its almost as if you blame the media for something Donald caused himself. Nice flip bro

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Out of curiosity, if God should change the hearts and minds of the evil, why does Texas have the death penalty? Shouldn't they just release all the prisoners and pray they'll do no more harm?

Also, what's the point of saying "pray for protection and get a gun"? If prayers can stop bullets, what do you need the gun for?

And finally, guns in Texas aren't allowed in federal buildings. That's funny. Is this admission that the federal government doesn't believe in thoughts and prayers?
    Best part is one of the gun control solutions is to get rid of all the fucking guns....how would that not solve the problem of people getting shot by guns?>???

BTW can anyone give me the verse in the bible that said anything about god giving me the right to guns?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post

Oh and when is matty going to introduce a new bill that allows guns to be carried by all into the Texas house?

Carrying a gun into a congressional building is a God-given right, as the Founders and GOD intended!!!!

How about state court houses? State Senate? Gov mansion? Etc Etc.

Still waiting for the right to bring my AR15 into the WH or congress. I mean don't all those republican senators and congressmen want the extra protection of more good guys with guns????

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    None of that matters. If there is any hint of misinformation from Trump, the hate will begin. Makes no difference how small it is.
    "hate"

You mean correction and communication of fact right?

oh right, when they do that to your dear leader you call it hate.....because you are a hypocrite. Got it

REPORTER: Do you have a message for Poland on the 80th anniversary of World War 2?

TRUMP: "I do have a great message for Poland & we have Mike Pence, our vice president, is just about landing right now...I just want to congratulate Poland"

[Poland was smashed by Nazis in 1939] https://t.co/PIOrhx3eC7
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...184859648?s=19

The tweet above says it all. The anniversary (that Trump skipped) is acknowledging the invasion of Poland and starting of World War 2.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1...184859648?s=19

The tweet above says it all. The anniversary (that Trump skipped) is acknowledging the invasion of Poland and starting of World War 2.
    Congratulations for Poland on how well WWII worked out for them! I mean they didn't exactly win, given they got dogpiled by the USSR and Nazi Germany while nobody helped them. But at least they won in the end. By 1990 anyway. After that whole "Half a century of Soviet rule" thing they had going on.

If he wasn't such a terrible person his constant little "educational facts" would be entertaining. He is always trying to teach these reporters these wonderful little facts about the world that are somehow simultaneously incredibly obvious and wrong. Does he think the reporter doesn't know there are Polish Americans? Did he think this was going to be new information to anyone? He throws out "There could be eight million" like it is some sort of unknowable truth, but we have ways of tracking that, and google says it is actually 10 million. I mean it would be harmless enough if he wasn't always using this sort of thing as a smokescreen to hide his uniformed polices on basically everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    The tweet above says it all.
    I mean...you could read it as "Congrats to Poland for getting Mike Pence, and not Donald Trump".

10+ Year Old Account
    Trump doesn't know why we had a Civil War, he probably doesn't know why WWII happened either.
    /s

Bring an example where you think Trump is racist and we'll talk about it.

I find your note on the "What he really meant was" a little hilarious because this is exactly what the media is trying to do - they take a phrase and ascribe it the meaning they want to see on it. They first tell you what a particular phrase of Trump means, and then object when you try to say that no, it doesn't mean that. 100% hypocrisy.
    RDA, thank you very much for this spirited defense of Trump.

Up until the your recent responses in this thread I thought you were a decent person and a semi-serious poster. It seems I was wrong all along.

There was a time when Alabama WAS a low odds target of Dorian. By the time Trump made his tweet, that was in the past. He said something incredibly stupid about something very important. Being the target of a hurricane is serious business. I have a mom and an aunt in areas that really ARE targeted.

But RDA, now just stop. Hurricanes really are serious business, and it is better if you stay away from things that have importance in people's lives.

Bring an example where you think Trump is racist and we'll talk about it.

I find your note on the "What he really meant was" a little hilarious because this is exactly what the media is trying to do - they take a phrase and ascribe it the meaning they want to see on it. They first tell you what a particular phrase of Trump means, and then object when you try to say that no, it doesn't mean that. 100% hypocrisy.
    Too easy, remember when he told those ladies of different etnicities to go home? That’s one, Obamas birth certificate is another. Honestly there are so many example, that I’ll point you in the direction of google.

This all happened because the media worked against Trump from the beginning. He built his own counter-media as a response. If the media was more favorable to him, he'd have tweeted less - and obviously his tweets wouldn't be on the frontpages of news nearly as much as they do now. He'd be like all other presidents - yeah, flawed, everybody kind of has an axe against him. But there wouldn't be an open war between him and the media, and the polarization would have been much lower.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, here is a bit of a bomb:

There are talks - right now - of making Supreme Court 6:3 rep.

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciar...ourt-hypocrisy

"But now, McConnell contends, Trump can put a nominee on the court with a year to go before the next election because the same party, the GOP, controls the Senate and the White House."

This is immensely relevant to Trump because if this actually happens, Trump will be able to do quite a lot of what he was not able to do before.
    thats a great deal of rewriting of history you have going on there, calling Trumps lies, lies isnt' "going against him" its simple truth, he's the one causing the polarization, and his twit storms existed long before he was campaigning let alone sworn in, and the only thing that has changed about them is his deteriorating mental condition

This is the data:

This is what NASA says about the fires:

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/im...ires-in-brazil

"As of August 16, 2019, an analysis of NASA satellite data indicated that total fire activity across the Amazon basin this year has been close to the average in comparison to the past 15 years. (The Amazon spreads across Brazil, Peru, Colombia, and parts of other countries.) Though activity appears to be above average in the states of Amazonas and Rondônia, it has so far appeared below average in Mato Grosso and Pará, according to estimates from the Global Fire Emissions Database, a research project that compiles and analyzes NASA data."

You can check the db if you want, it's there, too.

This is all known and has been known.
    But checking that database, I find an update from a week after that, which stipulates that the current fire season has the highest fire count since 2012, in line with the article linked. Looking at the individual states, you can see the cumulative counts to be within the parameters of the article as well.

Funny thing, though. The reason for that discrepancy is not actually due to a difference in the data used, but rather for a frame of reference. As you can see with the graph you linked there, fire season/deforestation has been declining strongly since the late odds. For the past ten years, it has been following a downward trend compared to back then. Hence, you can use that data to say different things, just by changing the frame you are looking at.
    If you look at 15 years or more, you include high fire years, which pushes the average up - and hence makes the current year look smaller in comparison.
    If you look at the past decade, you see that the current year is one of the highest in terms of fires.
    If you compare it to last year, you see a massive increase.
    All three interpretation are equally true, plain and simple. It's the bane of statistics. Numbers don't lie, but if you frame them in a certain way, you can come to different conclusions. You choosing a source that comes to the "about average" conclusion is exactly the same as 'the media' choosing a different frame to make it look more important. There isn't a right or wrong here, even though you tried to present it that way in the first post. There are just different perspectives, in order to show different effects.

For example, if you want to see the influence of the new government? You compare the years that the current one is in office (this year) with the last. In this case, that would be comparing the current year to 2011-2018. In that case, a ten year frame makes a lot of sense. If you want to look at a shift in the Brazilian economy, you probably might look at another one, but that would require a lot more research on my part to get anywhere.

Point is, objective truth depends on presentation. Focusing on the past 10 years to be able to say "the highest in a decade" leaves out the context of fires having been worse before that. Focusing on a 15 year frame and calling it "normal, average" leaves out the context that it is a new high after a heavy reduction, which might lead to a trend reversal.
    It just harkens back to the bias discussion we had a few weeks ago. No matter where you put your cut off date, you are leaving out something, just citing the numbers for the current year is useless, and an extensive dissertation including all information is too much for ordinary people. It's certainly not perfect, but it is natural for that to happen. The piece you linked is just as biased as 'the media' in that regard though, neither is really objectively better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess who took the day off to go golfing?

I mean, it's not like there's a Cat 4 hurricane or anything. I thought Trump was supposed to go to Poland, but stayed because of the hurricane. The fuck is he doing on the golf course?

Hey remember that time Trump promised he'd be too busy to go golfing? I remember like I'm linking a citation.

- - - Updated - - -

Anyway, here is a bit of a bomb:

There are talks - right now - of making Supreme Court 6:3 rep.

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciar...ourt-hypocrisy

"But now, McConnell contends, Trump can put a nominee on the court with a year to go before the next election because the same party, the GOP, controls the Senate and the White House."

This is immensely relevant to Trump because if this actually happens, Trump will be able to do quite a lot of what he was not able to do before.
    There are no "talks of making the SC 6:3 right now," it's a hypothetical proposed by the author in the event another liberal judge retires or dies.

And do you think it's a great idea for the highest court in the land to be so biased in one ideological direction?

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somewhatconcerned View Post
    There are no "talks of making the SC 6:3 right now," it's a hypothetical proposed by the author in the event another liberal judge retires or dies.

And do you think it's a great idea for the highest court in the land to be so biased in one ideological direction?
    He is a Russian, of course he thinks all political institutions should work for the ruling elite...

The claim about "Talks of making the Supreme Court 6:3" is pretty funny too, what are they planning, impeaching a liberal justice?

10+ Year Old Account
    The moment he won the nomination.
    What do you mean by this? Trump was a reality TV star, prior to the nomination. He has been on television and the public eye, since the 80s. Saying this started at the nomination, doesn’t make sense.

Trump has been a member of Screen Actor’s Guild for decades...

Edit: These are headlines from newspapers, from the Ivana divorce alone:
    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...covers-2017-10

This is a story of Trump pretending to be someone else, to get more coverage:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...6e0_story.html

This is a court case, where Trump claims his worth is directly tied to media attention:
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...on/trump-lies/

As stated already, Trump’s reality TV show:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...can_TV_series)

So, it can’t be after 2016... my examples go back as far as the 80s. Did it only become a problem for you, after he was nominated? Why did you ignore the decades before? Why don’t they count?
    Last edited by Felya; 2019-09-02 at 09:47 PM.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Congratulations for Poland on how well WWII worked out for them! I mean they didn't exactly win, given they got dogpiled by the USSR and Nazi Germany while nobody helped them. But at least they won in the end. By 1990 anyway. After that whole "Half a century of Soviet rule" thing they had going on.
    Nobody helped them because they bet on wrong "helpers" - namely Britain and France, and blocked the only ones willing to intervene against Hitler from helping Czechoslovakia.

Mistake from which they clearly haven't learned anything.

VP Pence arrived in Ireland, he's staying 2 nights at Trump's Doonbeg golf resort, a 3hr drive from Dublin where his meetings are (he'll fly). Due to have dinner tomorrow, @rtenews reports, at a distant cousin's restaurant https://t.co/gBMbb05rm8
    Rather than spend the night in Dublin, Pence will stay at a Trump owned resort on the other side of Ireland and commute for the day on Air Force Two
    https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/statu...652772865?s=19

This is corruption. This is a person deliberately putting money in the pocket of another politician.
    Democrats are the best! I will never ever question a Democrat again. I LOVE the Democrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    What? Who should they have bet on?
    The one who was actually antagonistic to Hitler rather then those "peace in our time" guys that stringed them along to buy themselves time.

And the ones who actually bordered them.

This is corruption. This is a person deliberately putting money in the pocket of another politician.
    You think Republicans care? They won't do shit about it, but I'm sure if a Democrat did it they'd be starting up impeachment proceedings yesterday.

10+ Year Old Account

The most ridiculous thing is that, if a rich landowner became President (or any part of Congress, really), and started using his properties as Trump is doing, and did so by comping the use because it's for his personal benefit, everyone would probably applaud it. Letting government officials stay at your hotel for free would be laudable.

It isn't the use of his properties that's the issue. It's charging premium prices for doing so. Because that is, as you say, corruption. Literally, a cartoonishly obvious example of such.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The most ridiculous thing is that, if a rich landowner became President (or any part of Congress, really), and started using his properties as Trump is doing, and did so by comping the use because it's for his personal benefit, everyone would probably applaud it. Letting government officials stay at your hotel for free would be laudable.

It isn't the use of his properties that's the issue. It's charging premium prices for doing so. Because that is, as you say, corruption. Literally, a cartoonishly obvious example of such.
    True. I admit in my recklessness I did not read anywhere that Trump is comping them (as I chuckle). So yeah if he is comping the rooms, it is a meh. If he is charging us tax payers...well corruption.