Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
LastLast
  1. #201
    HOT pretty much killed my interest in this game. I enjoyed the original so much because it was extremely solo friendly and I could treat it as an online sandbox to dick around at my own pace and have confidence I could complete the maps given enough time. HOTs map are a confusing nightmare to navigate and felt like they demand a group to get through without pulling your hair out. By the time I found out the skill point bosses were champions I gave up and just rushed through the story and shelved it. I understand its an online game so I should expect to play with other people but its just my luck the times I usually play I can't really find groups reliably and completing the maps is my favorite thing to do in the game and I can't even do that. Its been about a year and a half since I played so maybe the zones have been scaled to be more bearable? That would be nice.

    Besides that I really don't like that they are shoe horning in things like raids and making healer classes when they had such a staunch stance against such things at launch. Thanks to those things people seem to be treating it like a traditional mmo and things like the meta are getting a little harder to ignore. In fact last time I was running around out in the world I had someone whispering and screaming at me for not having my engineer in the flamethrower kit 24/7 or the one time I decided to step into a dungeon the lead went all Asperger on me for not having the stealth gyro. One of the reasons I left WOW for a good while was due to constant harassment over how I mind my own business in a damn video game so I'm a bit sensitive to it.

    That said I would like to check it out someday again. But thanks to how much of a mess HOT was for me I'm extremely hesitant. Maybe once POF goes down in price.

  2. #202
    The Lightbringer Shadochi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    The Shit Throne
    Posts
    3,990
    I tried out GW2 during the WoD drought for 2 or 3 weeks and the reason I didn't stick to it is that the community doesn't play such a big role while leveling. What I mean by this is that in WoW when I started out I got invited to one of those low level guilds really fast and through that I made some WoW friends (this was in early WoD when I switched to retail) from engaging in guild chat while doing mindless leveling. In Guild Wars I don't remember something like that happening, and in turn leveling made me feel like I was playing a DA-like Single player game.

    Now this is probably drastically different on max level/if you put more time into it, but the initial feeling isn't there and thats why I didn't stick to GW2 even tho I really wanted to give the game a shot.
    #1 Hype-Thread Shitposter - Overlord of the Hypethread
    Quote Originally Posted by Konteil View Post
    no. that wouldnt be vanilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion Hazzikostas
    Do you want us to kill memes?

  3. #203
    Thell sell the best skins for real money.

    Never playing it again.

  4. #204
    Holy Priest Saphyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlight Temple
    Posts
    2,323
    Quote Originally Posted by bladebarrier View Post
    1. Boring and pointless leveling and world exploration system. There is absolutely nothing fun in just running around maps checking out PoI's, waypoints and stupid renown hearts. It feels as a total waste of time when there is no story to explore. Every zone seems exactly like the last one and the next one, after doing 3-4 zones i felt done with this game.
    2. Purposeless endgame. There is no underlaying purpose or driver to keep me push forward. You hit max level, finish the storyline in a couple of weeks and then what is left is running after goals that in any other game would be secondaries (achievements, gear skins, most of the masteries in HoT). Sure they release a 1-hour worth of playtime "living story" episodes, occasionally patch in a new map to explore (meh), but this does not fill up the gaping pit that is this game's lack of direction or purpose.
    3. Complete randomness of action. Many players state this as some sort of advantage this game has against others, where you can really do whatever you feel like doing and there's nothing funneling you to play specific content. This is so not true for me, as this way i see no reason doing absolutely anything in the end. I believe games need to be directed to a certain degree, they should put the goal somewhere high up and then show you the winding road leading up to it, and then leave you to your own devices. This game really offers no worthwhile goal high up on the hill.
    I could not have said this better
    Active Wow Player | Inactive D3 Player | Active EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Youtube / Twitter

  5. #205
    Quote Originally Posted by Iseeyou View Post
    Thell sell the best skins for real money.

    Never playing it again.
    I don't know, I still think that nightmare skin is one of the best skins =) And legendary weapons are the coolest ones (even though you can buy some legendaries for money).
    You hoped it was over but Murky is back
    Sign + avatar by Visenna

  6. #206
    Liked the graphics when I played it but everything felt kind of meanlingless. Also the combat feedback and annimation doen't suit me. That was the nail in the coffin.

  7. #207
    Well, for me it was burnout. Been playing since launch, and really enjoy GW2, but needed the short break.

  8. #208
    I always come back for a taste, enjoy it for a few weeks, then get a bit burnt out by it. In WoW I feel like everything I do has a purpose. I don't feel that from GW2.

    A couple of other reasons:

    Ping - I can't compete properly in sPVP with 280-300 ping from Aus. It could be because I suck compared to many who have pvped for ages. But I still feel like I'm at a disadvantage with the ping. I would LOVE to try this games combat in pvp with a good ping...

    Inventory and currency bloat. So much shit you get that you have no idea what to do with. It is a very confusing game for a new/casual player.

    And my final reason is the 'floaty' feeling of movement. I find movement on mounts a joy in PoF, the mounts feel weighty which is good. It's a pity the characters don't feel the same. When you run around it honestly feels like you're just floating through the map and I feel a little disconnected from the world. Can't explain it any better than that...

  9. #209
    I didnt have a guild i played alone Gw2

  10. #210
    Quote Originally Posted by moistau View Post
    Ping - I can't compete properly in sPVP with 280-300 ping from Aus. It could be because I suck compared to many who have pvped for ages. But I still feel like I'm at a disadvantage with the ping. I would LOVE to try this games combat in pvp with a good ping...
    I don't know if they ever changed it, but back in vanilla GW2 they did rather strict movement checking server side, and with my NZ ping I'd get a lot of rubber banding when jumping around (jumping puzzles, some event in a multi-level city etc). I could run up to the edge of a platform and jump, then the game would say "nope you didn't jump, you're back on the platform" and then I'd see myself warp back and then fall off. Worst experience ever.

  11. #211
    For the past 4-5 months I'm trying to lower the amount of time i spent in wow and start playing more and more gw2. The problem is...I have friends in wow. And they dont seem to care about gw2 no matter how much ive tried. So,a typical day would be,me,solo in gw2 and 3-4 other people asking me to log in wow to do staff.
    First of all the feeling of playing solo is bad. Second I feel like I will let them down if I dont play with them (Im the tank usually of our group in wow).

  12. #212
    The Lightbringer Turbotef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    3,755
    Quote Originally Posted by moistau View Post
    I always come back for a taste, enjoy it for a few weeks, then get a bit burnt out by it. In WoW I feel like everything I do has a purpose. I don't feel that from GW2.

    A couple of other reasons:

    Ping - I can't compete properly in sPVP with 280-300 ping from Aus. It could be because I suck compared to many who have pvped for ages. But I still feel like I'm at a disadvantage with the ping. I would LOVE to try this games combat in pvp with a good ping...

    Inventory and currency bloat. So much shit you get that you have no idea what to do with. It is a very confusing game for a new/casual player.

    And my final reason is the 'floaty' feeling of movement. I find movement on mounts a joy in PoF, the mounts feel weighty which is good. It's a pity the characters don't feel the same. When you run around it honestly feels like you're just floating through the map and I feel a little disconnected from the world. Can't explain it any better than that...
    Same, came back, got the $80 option, did the story, got the mounts, threw $200 more at the shop for costumes/keys, and then just logging in for the LS4 bits. The game could use an engine/graphical upgrade as well because it currently runs like shit on both of my systems and character models are starting to show their age (the non-animated hair is also pretty shitty for most of the options).

    Not having an LFR/LFD mode for the raids and early fractals is also annoying. I wish I had taken that money and threw it at Blade and Soul instead tbh.

  13. #213
    Because it's not the game that ANet initially pitched at all and frankly all they seem to be interested in or consistent with is churning out more legendaries and BLC skins for people to throw money at.

  14. #214
    I put some 200+ hours into GW2 the first month of its release. I really enjoyed the leveling, but didn't like the lack of progression at endgame and had a terrible experience doing the dungeons. I did the personal story and got a gear set that I liked the look of, then just spammed pvp for a while. The pvp didn't hold up for me in the long-term and I ended up being pulled back to WoW. I've looked into the game a few times since then and logged in two or three times, but I don't feel a strong desire to play.

  15. #215
    High Overlord Stackodude1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    California
    Posts
    156
    I had purchased Path of Fire, but ended up cancelling it. I've played on and off since launch, but the whole "Fashion Wars" end game just really has turned me off. I've never enjoyed PvP, and the only class I really enjoy is Guardian.

    No idea if I'll be playing again any time soon, but we'll see.

  16. #216
    People who got full Ascended since 2012 don't have power progression anymore. it's a joke. worse, Legendaries have the same stats as ascended. Why even bother then? legendary weapons are basically just skins. The game is fun but that's it. No character progression whatsoever kills it for me.

    Also it has the worst mechanic i've ever seen in a videogame: Agony. It's a dull and completely boring mechanic which has no regard to your skill has a player and punishes you just because you haven't put hours grinding idiotic agony resistances. As a game designer, I was baffled with this mechanic.

  17. #217
    Titan PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    12,499
    Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    People who got full Ascended since 2012 don't have power progression anymore. it's a joke. worse, Legendaries have the same stats as ascended. Why even bother then? legendary weapons are basically just skins. The game is fun but that's it. No character progression whatsoever kills it for me.

    Also it has the worst mechanic i've ever seen in a videogame: Agony. It's a dull and completely boring mechanic which has no regard to your skill has a player and punishes you just because you haven't put hours grinding idiotic agony resistances. As a game designer, I was baffled with this mechanic.
    Skins are 70% of the game. Ask people what they are doing at endgame and its either competitive modes (PVP/WvW), instances (Raids/Fractals), or open world PVE (Achieves and Skins).

    As for agony, AR ultimately is both a gear check and protection against fractal mechanics. Besides hard AR checks, AR is there to save you when you're standing in bad shit or didn't dodge something, which usually ends up in getting hit with agony.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Stackodude1 View Post
    I had purchased Path of Fire, but ended up cancelling it. I've played on and off since launch, but the whole "Fashion Wars" end game just really has turned me off. I've never enjoyed PvP, and the only class I really enjoy is Guardian.

    No idea if I'll be playing again any time soon, but we'll see.
    If you've played GW1 Nightfall, PoF is at least worth it for the story.

  18. #218
    Legendary! Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    6,547
    I played it for a couple of hours when the living story came out a week or so ago.

    PoF was a great addition to the game. Mounts and the terrain design are insanely awesome in PoF.

    But without vertical progression, I can only stomach this game in small bursts. Im not a big fan of RPGs that dont allow you to progress your hero.

    This game desperately needs the trinity and vertical progression.

  19. #219
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,542
    Quote Originally Posted by skycaptain View Post
    No character progression whatsoever kills it for me.
    Fortunately, with the launch of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, you can have new habilities via the mastery system. It may not have gear progression, but it has character progression - I'd even argue that it has more ---character--- progression than any other MMO in the market. You should check it out, as masteries are pretty cool (if a bit grindy).

  20. #220
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Fortunately, with the launch of Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns, you can have new habilities via the mastery system. It may not have gear progression, but it has character progression - I'd even argue that it has more ---character--- progression than any other MMO in the market. You should check it out, as masteries are pretty cool (if a bit grindy).
    HoT masteries are a damn clownshow, though. They're not "character progression", they're "Hey, we designed the map to be impossible to traverse, but here are some new abilities that you can grind for to finally be able to do so!"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •