Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FragmentedFaith View Post
    You mean besides the 500ms minimum I get from Australia? Or the extreme Fear Of Missing Out/You Had To be There design philosophy?
    What FOMO design? The Living Story system hasn't been that way for literal years. You just have to log in while a story chapter is active, and it's unlocked on your account to be played at your leisure.
    Host of Talking Skritt, a weekly GW2 news podcast

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    I'm a mount collector in every MMO I play. It's a shallow and petty reason but seeing people on mounts and knowing I can't get access to them without buying Path of Fire just keeps me from playing.
    Aside from requiring Path of Fire, most of the mount skins are gem store items, so it'd just be grinding gold to buy another skin anyway. The mounts are very cool things though, with actual differences vs "this one flies, that one doesn't". I do get the collector aspect, but I've always been more of a "get the thing that feels right for that character" rather than "gotta catch 'em all" for myself.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Arenanet is probably the least 'woke' studio in the industry. They openly represent many people in a very natural way without asking or calling attention to any of it. Theyve been like that for years. It's not being 'woke' its accurate representation. As it should be.

Funny people will both call Arenanet toxic/misogynistic or some "SJW" insult because of when they fired Jessica Price. Anet fired a problematic employee and two opposite sides manage to paint themselves as a victim.
    Accurate representation? A fantasy land with trans individuals? Not really no, In the sense that our world is not the same as other fantasy land. Are you going to lump BLM inside too? its just spreading their woke message, I would argue that out of the biggest mmo companies Anet is the wokest. You mentioned individuals like Jessica Price(which I wasn't aware, that is now the nail in coffin) but also Jennifer Scheurle, If you think those sickos are the anomaly I would argue that they are actually the norm in that company which is why I prefer not to support them. On the side of story, gameplay wise I forgot to mention that GW2 doesn't have a holy trinity so battling monsters feels like a disaster.

Also I just remember that while the game looked great at the time now it doesn't look so hot. And in terms of how battles flow, I don't feel when my spells hit. I played a necromancer and aside from when you go full Venom(the black thing Idk what it was called) most skills didn't feel impactful.

The following is purely nitpicking and it is just " its a me thing not you": The art style was good back then but now along with its graphics it looks cheap. Even in Ultra settings. The non human races with the exception of the tiger humans all look dumb and uninspiring, there are no new races to play as, so my characters are all a combination of women and men and female and male tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tietoso View Post
    Accurate representation? A fantasy land with trans individuals? Not really no, In the sense that our world is not the same as other fantasy land. Are you going to lump BLM inside too? its just spreading their woke message, I would argue that out of the biggest mmo companies Anet is the wokest. You mentioned individuals like Jessica Price(which I wasn't aware, that is now the nail in coffin) but also Jennifer Scheurle, If you think those sickos are the anomaly I would argue that they are actually the norm in that company which is why I prefer not to support them. On the side of story, gameplay wise I forgot to mention that GW2 doesn't have a holy trinity so battling monsters feels like a disaster.

Also I just remember that while the game looked great at the time now it doesn't look so hot. And in terms of how battles flow, I don't feel when my spells hit. I played a necromancer and aside from when you go full Venom(the black thing Idk what it was called) most skills didn't feel impactful.

The following is purely nitpicking and it is just " its a me thing not you": The art style was good back then but now along with its graphics it looks cheap. Even in Ultra settings. The non human races with the exception of the tiger humans all look dumb and uninspiring, there are no new races to play as, so my characters are all a combination of women and men and female and male tigers.
    You said it in your first statement. It's a fantasy world. They created. If they want a non-binary dragon then they can have one. Because it's a made up world. There's no difference between someone putting down a characters sexual orientation on their RPG character background sheet than saying their character grew up a begger - both are merely descriptors about a character that may or may not be motivators. Is it being 'woke' to say a character came from noble lineage or has a wife and 3 kidd? No. So any other variation in a characters background is not 'woke'. It's creators reaching into a grab bag of human traits and descriptions to create characters.

Its definitely a you think if you think maintaining a diverse stable of characters has anything with Anet trying to get into some sociopolitical internet nonsense.

Anet has told stories from often unused/underutilized settings since their first game. GW1 Factions and Nightfall are fantasy games that used uncommon backdrops. No one called them 'work' or accused them of whatever back then.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Y'all, this isn't the forum to discuss gender issues/identity etc. even if it's related to the game. Please keep discussion on the game and off those forbidden topics, thanks.

Good news! For a limited time you can now get a free digital copy of Path of Fire by purchasing a dell laptop:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/g...series-laptop/

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would buy a $1,300-1700 laptop just because it came with a digital copy of an expansion that is basically over but I saw it on the launcher and figured maybe someone in this thread might have needed to get a new laptop anyway.

I'm curious how many active players don't purchase the expansions cause I don't see many people who would happen to see the launchers notice in the 2 months its available using the offer.

NGL, that laptop is priced well. Desktops will always have their advantages but if you looking for a new gaming laptop, it's not bad (I don't know Dell's build quality).

Apparently Anet paid some WoW player to play GW2 ads. I don't think think they want to do full sponsored streams but they are going for exposure.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

What is there to come back to? The leveling is great, but once you're capped, the gear is easy to obtain. Afaik they added some sort of raiding since I last played but I've heard from sources I personally trust that they're not much of a challenge either.

Also holy shit miss me with that vertical gameplay in the thorns expansion, HORRIBLE.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    What is there to come back to? The leveling is great, but once you're capped, the gear is easy to obtain. Afaik they added some sort of raiding since I last played but I've heard from sources I personally trust that they're not much of a challenge either.

Also holy shit miss me with that vertical gameplay in the thorns expansion, HORRIBLE.
    The vertical gameplay is really nice with skyscale/griffon so working towards those collections will give you something to do.
    Unlocking all masteries if you havn't yet takes quite a while too.

no oceanic server, lacking that, not even a west coast server.

no ui customization

bad fps (may fix with dx11??? lulz) dx12 wrapper mod helps but not good enough
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

I am playing and enjoying it right now working on my masteries and PVP reward tracks, but as usual I'll end up stopping at some point.

For me there's a couple of things:
    - FPS, it's not even that it's FPS. I get > 130 FPS in most areas outside of main cities. It's just this kind of feeling of input lag that I get when you turn your character or camera etc... it feels like you're getting 20-30 FPS but infact your FPS might be 100+. Weird feeling.
    - So many profession icons, I wish they colour coded the base professions in the UI so that in PVP you can tell what you're fighting at a quick glance. I know with experience you learn the icons/abilities but colours are much quicker way to determine this information at a glance.
    - Inventory management, so many things to right click and consume, so many materials, things and stuff.
    - OCE server or at the very least, West Coast US. The input lag is bad enough, add on the 280-300ms and it's a pain.

Can't acces old account (already contacted) and miss my old char(r)acter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    I love how many people go the "fuck feminism!! ruining society!" Never change, "/r/incels" champion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dead Moose Fandango View Post
    No more eeeelves!
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTenko View Post
    Not gonna happen because Blizzard is gonna say "it's to hard to make a female model". Because they're terrified of creating females who are not cutesexy and disappointing the wanker segment of the playerbase.

I think for people who can't get into their old account, while starting over does suck I think in all honestly its better for an mmo to start fresh after yearrrrs anyway so you aren't confused, I would recommend just making a new f2p account and going through the base game.

Guild Wars 2 has been getting a great surge in popularity lately, I see players in every single zone I go to and the game has also seen quite the uptick on youtube, twitch, etc. It may not be seeing the insane explosion FFXIV got but it certainly is doing really really well.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I think for people who can't get into their old account, while starting over does suck I think in all honestly its better for an mmo to start fresh after yearrrrs anyway so you aren't confused, I would recommend just making a new f2p account and going through the base game.

Guild Wars 2 has been getting a great surge in popularity lately, I see players in every single zone I go to and the game has also seen quite the uptick on youtube, twitch, etc. It may not be seeing the insane explosion FFXIV got but it certainly is doing really really well.
    The every single zone thing is so randomly true. I'll seriously go to some random cave in a random part of the gigantic map and theyll be someone there. Like what, why are you here lol

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    The every single zone thing is so randomly true. I'll seriously go to some random cave in a random part of the gigantic map and theyll be someone there. Like what, why are you here lol
    IIRC they did a lot of "merging" behind the scenes so you end up playing with folks from other servers. Which is great, because it helps make sure they can have populated maps across the game given how big it is. Plenty of emptier zones from older living story zones, but it is nice seeing zones bustling with activity again. Sometimes while doing world bosses I'll stick around the lowbie zones and help out with low level events. Those were a blast to do when first starting, so if I can help some newbs complete the events and have fun then that's rad.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just to add to this, after some thought, I sold off most of my mats, deleted all of my other characters other than the ranger and started up a bunch of new ones that I'm very casually leveling. As much as possible I tried to give myself a clean slate without having to rebuy the game. It's worked for me. Definitely not for everyone but I haven't regretted it as I'm in a much better place vis a vis the game.
    I hope quoting this isn't too much of a post necro, but just wanted to say thanks for this idea. After being a WoW player since the day the game released, I am stepping away until I see meaningful changes at both the game and corporate level - changes which may never happen at all since Blizzard continues to be quite profitable as is. So I am a little lost, as gaming is one of my favorite hobbies.

I remember enjoying a lot about GW2, and got a Mesmer to 80 before returning to WoW. I logged back in recently after many years away and was immediately overwhelmed upon seeing my bank full of crafting materials and other items - I almost logged back out just because of that, lol. I love the idea of selling everything and just starting fresh, leveling a few characters casually and starting over again with crafting, which I enjoy in most games.

I will keep the Mesmer since she was created at game release and I don't want to delete a veteran character, but she will be a retired lady Thanks again for the idea - I am hoping this will satisfy my gaming soul after canceling my Blizzard account - something I never thought I'd do, but here we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    I hope quoting this isn't too much of a post necro, but just wanted to say thanks for this idea.
    Sure. Thanks for the nod. One benefit I didn't mention was that selling off a lot of that older stuff gave me a bit of a gold stake to start over with so it was all good.
    "Given the opportunity, players will optimize the fun out of a game" — Soren Johnson (Civilization III/IV designer)

Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    I hope quoting this isn't too much of a post necro, but just wanted to say thanks for this idea. After being a WoW player since the day the game released, I am stepping away until I see meaningful changes at both the game and corporate level - changes which may never happen at all since Blizzard continues to be quite profitable as is. So I am a little lost, as gaming is one of my favorite hobbies.

I remember enjoying a lot about GW2, and got a Mesmer to 80 before returning to WoW. I logged back in recently after many years away and was immediately overwhelmed upon seeing my bank full of crafting materials and other items - I almost logged back out just because of that, lol. I love the idea of selling everything and just starting fresh, leveling a few characters casually and starting over again with crafting, which I enjoy in most games.

I will keep the Mesmer since she was created at game release and I don't want to delete a veteran character, but she will be a retired lady Thanks again for the idea - I am hoping this will satisfy my gaming soul after canceling my Blizzard account - something I never thought I'd do, but here we are.
    You can definitely start a new fresh character, but I would also advice that you don't delete that old character. GW2 gives out birthday presents for each year counting from the creation of the character, and those presents contain pretty nice stuff. If you made that char at release, you should be getting 9 presents in the mail on that char.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    You can definitely start a new fresh character, but I would also advice that you don't delete that old character. GW2 gives out birthday presents for each year counting from the creation of the character, and those presents contain pretty nice stuff. If you made that char at release, you should be getting 9 presents in the mail on that char.
    Yes, thanks, I just collected all of those! I definitely won't delete her - she was created on game release day so it'd just feel wrong to delete. She's retired, though, while I level up a new Ranger and Necro

Unsure if this has changed but the inability to go back into old content to farm cool looking items solo. The moment they allow for this, you bet your ass I'll come back and farm that shit for every class. I really want to get the Ascalonian weapons but I really can't be assed getting a group for old content or having to bust my ass with a solo build.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2021-09-10 at 07:03 AM.