Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    Did you jump in with a level 80? Personally I think that is a bad call because the game never resets just expands. So jumping in at max is really overwhelming.

However I think the easiest thing to do is wait until the upcoming End of Dragons expansion launch on Feb 28th. It seems to be the perfect spot for a fresh 80 to begin the game, you can get gliding and 2 of the games mounts in the new continent as well as some tutorial events. Anet are definitely building it for returning/new players as well as veterans.
    Currently to get gliding you need to go to the Heart of Thorns area/story and for mounts you have to go to the Path of Fire area/story. And while upgrading mounts and gliding will still require that, EoD is looking like the place to start your journey and get familiar with the game and its systems.
    No, I didn't realize that was an option, just picked up where I had left off. Thanks for the information, I'll wait and see then.

Quote Originally Posted by sensei View Post
    No, I didn't realize that was an option, just picked up where I had left off. Thanks for the information, I'll wait and see then.
    If you buy the expansion it will come with a lvl 80 boost. My advice would be to use the boost mainly as a way to unlock mounts and gliding (you need a max level character for that). Once you have them unlocked any character from your account will be able to use them.

I mention this because i believe that starting a new character can be helpful to understand the game in your situation, but sadly, the leveling process is one of the most outdated aspects of the game with mounts+gliding doing wonders in terms of making the whole thing more dynamic. The other benefit is that if you get bored from leveling, well... you'll also have your max level character ready to go.
    "Mastery Haste will fix it."

15+ Year Old Account
    Good advice, I've been leveling a Revenant and being able to glide and mount up is a huge QoL gain.

Not being excited to play the only current class/spec I have the gear to play at max level and not wanting to level another one or spend the money on gear to play it. Too many other games out there that I can just pick up and play that coming back to GW2 to suffer through the process of getting another character ready just isn't exciting, at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Not being excited to play the only current class/spec I have the gear to play at max level and not wanting to level another one or spend the money on gear to play it. Too many other games out there that I can just pick up and play that coming back to GW2 to suffer through the process of getting another character ready just isn't exciting, at all.
    Yep. Excatly that.

i enjoyed it during covid lockdowns, but burnt out shortly after the massive grind I did for the legendary weapon Astralaria.

I'll probably pick it up at some point in the future, but right now i'm really addicted to lost ark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoSe7eN View Post
    Burnout

No Necromancer class

Sick of bad RNG

Too many transmog/customize restrictions

Removed items/content
    Are you sure you played GW2?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Burnout

No Necromancer class

Sick of bad RNG

Removed items/content
    https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Necromancer

If these are your complaints, GW2 isn't the game you played. Either that or you're lying...or possibly confused.

Burnout

No Necromancer class

Sick of bad RNG

Removed items/content
    This feels like you are talking about a different game lol
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Fairly sure they just saw the title in the "Recent Forum Posts" with the end of the title cut off and assumed it was about WoW.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Fairly sure they just saw the title in the "Recent Forum Posts" with the end of the title cut off and assumed it was about WoW.
    must be. lol /10char

I originally bought GW2 around its release and played it quite a bit. Got bored rather quickly after I tried all the stuff I wanted to.

At some point a few years ago I decided to check the game, logged in for ~30mins and then forgot about it.

I recently decided to give a look at it again. It took quite an effort to log onto my account. Password had not been changed or anything, but it was saying I was logging from different location, basically city next to the one I was living at. I was able to log in once in attempt to change my email. It cannot be changed. Their account management system does not allow this. I would have to directly ask it to be changed after proving my identity, etc. Later I tried logging in again, now it was locked. To undo the lock, same thing would have to be done, contact directly and prove identity. No. I wont be doing that.

I have no intention of making new account, which i understand is free? I have no doubts same thing would happen eventually. Everything I might have had previously was gone, not that it mattered since it was ancient stuff anyway. Yet, my interest was completely lost with its terrible account system.

Otherwise, now having very little to play, I might even try their apparently new stuff. As it is, nope.

Haven't played in awhile. I did already have a level 80 Ranger that completed the main story mission, enough of the second expansion to get glider, enough of the third expansion to unlock the raptor.

Thought I'd come back and give it another shot. I don't like the Ranger elite specializations because I picked it for ranged DPS. Turns out they have a healer and two melee elite specialization. Not my style. I heard a lot of people like Mechanist for Engineer, figure I would give that a shot. I boosted an Engineer to 80, but I'm actually just playing through the entire story mission from vanilla to launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrostyButt View Post
    Haven't played in awhile. I did already have a level 80 Ranger that completed the main story mission, enough of the second expansion to get glider, enough of the third expansion to unlock the raptor.

Thought I'd come back and give it another shot. I don't like the Ranger elite specializations because I picked it for ranged DPS. Turns out they have a healer and two melee elite specialization. Not my style. I heard a lot of people like Mechanist for Engineer, figure I would give that a shot. I boosted an Engineer to 80, but I'm actually just playing through the entire story mission from vanilla to launch.
    On ranger, shortbow is 100% viable in endgame on Soulbeast. I've used it in experienced raid groups all the time. Longbow is used on power Soulbeast builds. You won't see the builds listed first on the various build sites for a number of reasons/more to guide players into learning "proper gameplay mechanics" than certain builds being better than others. Its just how ranger has been treated for years now.

If you light pet classes, guessing you do since you've played ranger, mechanist is definitely a good choice. Engineer is known for being complex but Mechanist shifts a lot of that complexity onto your robot. Boosting engi is a good call, core engi is a pain to level so youre not missing out on anything but a headache.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    On ranger, shortbow is 100% viable in endgame on Soulbeast. I've used it in experienced raid groups all the time. Longbow is used on power Soulbeast builds. You won't see the builds listed first on the various build sites for a number of reasons/more to guide players into learning "proper gameplay mechanics" than certain builds being better than others. Its just how ranger has been treated for years now.

If you light pet classes, guessing you do since you've played ranger, mechanist is definitely a good choice. Engineer is known for being complex but Mechanist shifts a lot of that complexity onto your robot. Boosting engi is a good call, core engi is a pain to level so youre not missing out on anything but a headache.
    Gotcha. I just assumed it was melee only specialization. A lot of websites and youtube videos I watch seem to love putting Rangers in C-F tier when ranking the classes. I don't really plan on going hard with GW2 since I'm pretty much invested in FF14 end-game stuff, and possibly will be invested in the new WoW expansion assuming it meets my criteria (respect players time). So thankfully GW2 is F2P and I can just play it as often or as little as I want.

For me it's how cash shop the game feels. I came back to it recently from launch curious to see what changed from a amazon promo. I logged into dozens of gifts and boosts and some interesting armor mogs but all of that weirdly killed my drive to get back into it.

I'm never a fan if games that sell cosmetics it cheapens the experience of hunting down unique items to me.

the flat gear progression kills it for me. once you are in full meta-stat ascended (or even exotic, the difference is marginal) gear, there really no reason to to anything else.. like.. at all.
    Last edited by NihilSustinet; 2022-06-15 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    the flat gear progression kil.ls it for me. once you are in full meta-stat ascended (or even exotic, the difference in marginal) gear, there really no reason to to anything else.. like.. at all.
    I mean, there is, just not for linear power progression. GW2 just isn't about pure linear gear progression. ESO takes a similar approach in not adding more powerful gear with each expansion/update, but rather expanding the number of stat combinations available to open up more potential builds.

Fine if that's not your thing, but there's plenty of reason to keep playing if you're not exclusively interested in linear gear progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    I mean, there is, just not for linear power progression. GW2 just isn't about pure linear gear progression. ESO takes a similar approach in not adding more powerful gear with each expansion/update, but rather expanding the number of stat combinations available to open up more potential builds.

Fine if that's not your thing, but there's plenty of reason to keep playing if you're not exclusively interested in linear gear progression.
    ok. thats also why i dont play ESO. the question was what keeps me from coming back. i answered it.

Lack of OCE servers mainly.