Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ...
39
47
48
49
50
LastLast
  1. #961
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have to create a new account to play on Steam? Oh, brother. Such a pain in the ass just to play this game at this point.
    You can actually use a non-Steam account on Steam and get all the Steam functionality, minus the ability to buy the game off Steam (Anet mirrors them on their own store anyway).


    I get if people would like for it to "just work" though. There's a couple of ways but the easiest is to download the game on Steam and add the following to launch options:

    Code:
     -provider Portal

    Right click GW2 in Steam -> click Properties - > see Launch options and enter the text.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  2. #962
    The fact i have to hassle with tickets and customer support proving im the owner because i havent logged in a long while, despite having an authenticator and all that jazz. Like i know where my game key that i bought when the game came out is lol.

  3. #963
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You can actually use a non-Steam account on Steam and get all the Steam functionality, minus the ability to buy the game off Steam (Anet mirrors them on their own store anyway).


    I get if people would like for it to "just work" though. There's a couple of ways but the easiest is to download the game on Steam and add the following to launch options:

    Code:
     -provider Portal

    Right click GW2 in Steam -> click Properties - > see Launch options and enter the text.
    Thank you. I went and downloaded the regular client after my initial Steam login discovery. Though the information is appreciated if just slightly annoying I wasted time downloading the Steam version first. :P

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    The fact i have to hassle with tickets and customer support proving im the owner because i havent logged in a long while, despite having an authenticator and all that jazz. Like i know where my game key that i bought when the game came out is lol.
    Yeah, this is what just happened to me a few days ago. Took almost 2 weeks for CS to contact me. What a hassle.

  4. #964
    I just logged in for about an hour and a half, during which I spent 45 minutes doing 2 world bosses and this dragon event (I had no clue it was on). One of the world bosses was a daily apparently and gave an extra chest plus it was a dragon (so another extra chest!). Between all that I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game. I might still play it since I am looking for an MMO to spend some time on, and yes, I do get that as a B2P game they need to make things inconvenient enough so that you spend money, but they really didn't have to go completely overboard with the loot.

  5. #965
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game.
    Oh absolutely. To have a good time you want to buy the maximum amount of bag slots (cash shop), buy big bags off of the AH, and then buy those infinite salvaging tools off of the cash shop (isn't on sale year round IIRC). That way you can just click to open all loot bags and crates to fill your inventory with crap, and then right click the infinite salvaging tool and have it salvage everything, then click the deposit materials button. But it is still an incredibly tedious process, and you can only deposit materials so much material before your mat bank fills up, which means you have to go through the tedious process of selling all of those leftovers on the auction house through its sluggish interface. I wish GW2 borrowed from Granblue Fantasy and allowed you to setup an auto-salvage loot and auto-sell mats function so I didn't have to waste my time on this.

  6. #966
    Merely a Setback PACOX's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    ██████
    Posts
    26,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I just logged in for about an hour and a half, during which I spent 45 minutes doing 2 world bosses and this dragon event (I had no clue it was on). One of the world bosses was a daily apparently and gave an extra chest plus it was a dragon (so another extra chest!). Between all that I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game. I might still play it since I am looking for an MMO to spend some time on, and yes, I do get that as a B2P game they need to make things inconvenient enough so that you spend money, but they really didn't have to go completely overboard with the loot.
    90% of GW2 loot is meant to be salvage for mats or sold. People hold onto too much stuff in the game.


    They actually want you to dump your mats onto the TP or use them versus just rotting in a bank taking up storage space.

    Resident Cosplay Progressive

  7. #967
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Oh absolutely. To have a good time you want to buy the maximum amount of bag slots (cash shop), buy big bags off of the AH, and then buy those infinite salvaging tools off of the cash shop (isn't on sale year round IIRC). That way you can just click to open all loot bags and crates to fill your inventory with crap, and then right click the infinite salvaging tool and have it salvage everything, then click the deposit materials button. But it is still an incredibly tedious process, and you can only deposit materials so much material before your mat bank fills up, which means you have to go through the tedious process of selling all of those leftovers on the auction house through its sluggish interface. I wish GW2 borrowed from Granblue Fantasy and allowed you to setup an auto-salvage loot and auto-sell mats function so I didn't have to waste my time on this.
    That 100%. Or they remove/consolidate some of the "legacy" items and currencies while NOT introducing a ton of new ones. But that's never going to happen I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    90% of GW2 loot is meant to be salvage for mats or sold. People hold onto too much stuff in the game.


    They actually want you to dump your mats onto the TP or use them versus just rotting in a bank taking up storage space.
    It's a good thing that's what I did then? 45 minutes of clicking and sorting and all I kept is 2 stacks of new food (out of 7 or 8 types that I got) with some benefits I liked and a new toy/mini. Apologies, and that birthday gun that I will try out and then destroy. Everything else was treated as you mentioned. A problem with it is that for a lot of things I just said "fuck it" and destroyed/TP them without even knowing what they are because this game unfortunately has too much crap in.

  8. #968
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I wish GW2 borrowed from Granblue Fantasy and allowed you to setup an auto-salvage loot and auto-sell mats function so I didn't have to waste my time on this.
    Afaik no game did it yet but this would be best for usability:
    auto-salvage filter based on market price. Normal players have no clue what items are worth keeping and what can be recycled anyway so giving them the option to set filters wouldn't help much due fear of salvaging the wrong item and nobody ejnoys to tp check every item every time they want to clear inventory.

    That aside you can already somewhat outsource salvaging. The stackable "random gear on opening" items can be sold on TP and other people buy them because opening and manually salvaging while selling good rng drops nets a profit.

  9. #969
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Greetings champions, good to see you, as always.

    This is a question for those who do not play Guild Wars 2 - either people that have already played it, or those who didn't try the game yet and lack something to try it.

    What's preventing you from coming back or playing this game?
    I have played this game on 2 relatively long periods. I'm a story guy and that's mostly what I'm looking for from games. Twice I've played it, paying attention to story: Zone stories, class stories, race stories whatever. I can never tell you the game's story. It doesn't stick or register.
    What I do remember is that after a while playing this game feels like ticking off items on a checklist. The maps tells you what you have and have not discovered so all you do is go to each zone and check it. Also dungeons mobs AI behave like PVP and I hate PVP.

    I might come back when if I ever get back to having a long stretch of free time.. like some time when i'm unemployed .. or a millionaire. Whichever comes first XD

  10. #970
    Lag/ms. Fun game but from aus i cant play it because of the ms, 300-450 average about 380

  11. #971
    Clunky feeling compared to WoW

  12. #972
    Field Marshal Lytrwths's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    88
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I just logged in for about an hour and a half, during which I spent 45 minutes doing 2 world bosses and this dragon event (I had no clue it was on). One of the world bosses was a daily apparently and gave an extra chest plus it was a dragon (so another extra chest!). Between all that I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game. I might still play it since I am looking for an MMO to spend some time on, and yes, I do get that as a B2P game they need to make things inconvenient enough so that you spend money, but they really didn't have to go completely overboard with the loot.
    If you can get past all that hundreds of loot and currency or get to learn what is it for, you can only see the brilliance that this game has. It certainly has a lot of innovations and has pioneered to the mmorpg genre a lot. This is coming from a guy that used only to play Wow without even considering looking at other games. Give this game a chance, it is for sure a somewhat hidden gem!

  13. #973
    Tried it a few times over the years, never lasted more than 10-20 minutes. I just didn't like anything about it, the graphics, the characters, the combat ... nothing clicked. Meanwhile when I tried ESO, I immediately thought, holy shit this looks awesome.

  14. #974
    Quote Originally Posted by Lytrwths View Post
    If you can get past all that hundreds of loot and currency or get to learn what is it for, you can only see the brilliance that this game has. It certainly has a lot of innovations and has pioneered to the mmorpg genre a lot. This is coming from a guy that used only to play Wow without even considering looking at other games. Give this game a chance, it is for sure a somewhat hidden gem!
    I am not disputing it is a great game in its own right, I just feel it does a shit job in terms of getting returning players back in. I played quite a bit of the base game back in the day, I gave up when then switched the world bosses to a fixed timer and screwed over with the dailies (yes, that long ago). I do come back every now and then to try and level up a character for bit, but I am finding it more and more difficult to get into it every time, that's all.

  15. #975
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,642
    I'm reinstalled GW2 (again again) and was just wondering what are the most updated resources, for builds and whatnot.

    Edit: Crap, might have posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well.

  16. #976
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    I'm reinstalled GW2 (again again) and was just wondering what are the most updated resources, for builds and whatnot.

    Edit: Crap, might have posted this in the wrong thread. Oh well.
    The GW2 wiki is very robust and will cover most game information you need.

    Metabattle and Snowscrows for highly optimized builds. This will only matter if you intend to do high end PUGing for fractals or challenge mode strikes, or if you are doing PvP or WvW. Otherwise, GW2 is a very easy game and you can get by with almost anything. The only "wrong" build you might land on would be trying to do open world content as a Druid, a healer designed spec with no offensive capability. For years I was following the blog of a guy going through GW2's story and content and he was constantly complaining about how long it took to kill anything as a Druid.

    Lord Hizen's youtube channel also shows off very good builds, though many of them have become outdated due to rebalance patch made a couple months back.

    Lastly there are the class subforums on the GW2 forums, however the activity varies. On the Ranger subforum there are only a couple guys who have been consistently posting a lot, trying out different builds and discussing their findings.

  17. #977
    I was never bug into the story, and I have no real clue what the end game is supposed to be. I remember maxing out, getting gear I wanted, grinding a world boss dragon dude and killing that on repeat, and that's about it. Wasn't big into fractals and I wasn't in any organized guild, so the game just petered out for me.

    Not sure what would get me back in honestly. The game was fun but I found the 'open world'ness was not my taste.

  18. #978
    Fluffy Kitten Nerph-'s Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,642
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The GW2 wiki is very robust and will cover most game information you need.

    Metabattle and Snowscrows for highly optimized builds. This will only matter if you intend to do high end PUGing for fractals or challenge mode strikes, or if you are doing PvP or WvW. Otherwise, GW2 is a very easy game and you can get by with almost anything. The only "wrong" build you might land on would be trying to do open world content as a Druid, a healer designed spec with no offensive capability. For years I was following the blog of a guy going through GW2's story and content and he was constantly complaining about how long it took to kill anything as a Druid.

    Lord Hizen's youtube channel also shows off very good builds, though many of them have become outdated due to rebalance patch made a couple months back.

    Lastly there are the class subforums on the GW2 forums, however the activity varies. On the Ranger subforum there are only a couple guys who have been consistently posting a lot, trying out different builds and discussing their findings.
    Thanks for the info!

  19. #979
    AOE splooge. Game was perfect but I ain't about everything being an AOE. Small thing but it fudged my pvp dawg.

  20. #980
    Old God Soon-TM's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Netherstorm
    Posts
    10,782
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    The game was fun but I found the 'open world'ness was not my taste.
    Well, the "open world"-ness of GW2 has been a big breath of fresh air after the claustrophobia-inducing design of WoW. I'm also really digging the art style and the mount system - it really feels like an actual world, rather than an incoherent patchwork of instances.
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •