Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Mounts shouldn't locked behind a paywall. It's stupid as fuck.
    The base game wasn't designed with mounts in mind and has teleport waypoints all over the place. The only place that "requires" mounts is the expansion you get them in and they are disabled in many areas in the base game/instances whatnot. Gliding is also an expansion feature and isn't necessary in the base game.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I don't want to start ANOTHER MMO. I've already been switching off and on between WoW, ESO, FF14, Runescape, and Genshin. I have no desire to add another MMO to the list. If I'm going to find another game it has to be a game that actually has an "end", or is just for multiplayer fun.
    The end in GW2 is when ever you get tired of the story. The gear you got 10 years ago is still relevant today which is nice if you wanna drop the game for years at a time. And the living world stuff isn't required for content so if you didn't log in to unlock it at the time you don't have to worry about buying it if you don't want to.
    Last edited by qwerty123456; 2021-02-03 at 11:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post

It's basically just expansions now.

In fairness though, they are pretty reasonable about the pricing for new players.
    I agree 100%. I don't have any problem with it, and honestly even with content being locked behind expansions it's still an INSANE amount of content for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by Swnem View Post
    It's the formula that works. It's not only WoW that uses it.
    Yeah, it worked well in EQ2, SWTOR, RIFT, WAR, LOTRO, Archeage. All the most successful MMOs we still play.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Yeah, it worked well in EQ2, SWTOR, RIFT, WAR, LOTRO, Archeage. All the most successful MMOs we still play.
    Sure, and it works for WoW, FFXIV and TESO, the most sucessful MMO's we all still play.

Want to try again? I still play SWTOR btw and it's hugely sucessful having made more than a billion dollars with the formula and fame you diss. Lotro and everquest were big in their day.
    War and Rift are the only ones you can point at being failed mmo's, which by no means proves the formula wrong, but the execution.

I want to revert the narrative of this topic since it is the most viewed one and the most active one in this subforum, but in this forum altogether.

I absolutely adore GW2.

At times, I am an impulsive buyer but most of the times i am not. I think on March i bought the two expansions of GW2 (since i had the base game since launch but i have not played it back then due to me being hooked on WoW) and at that time i was already playing ffxiv and WoW. At that point i had already spent going through the absolute mess ffxiv of lvling process had, even though the story at times was very good and enjoyable, but once i dinged 80 i quitted shortly after and WoW has the usual issues that everyone knows by now and are greatly magnified if you are playing for many years and since the beginning.

I ditched all my old chars and started a new Revenant that i later found that it was not in the base game. The combat grabbed me immediately and it was only getting better the more i leveled. But not only that. I really liked the multiple trees of passive talents that you could invest your talent points, the swapping of Weapons on the fly, the fact that i had gr8 heal, gr8 cc, gr8 survivability, gr8 utilities but still the world was dangerous all the time.

I absolutely love the fact i don't have to pay monthly subscription and i find it ridiculous that people say sth is behind a paywall. Nothing is behind anything. I have finished the base game, then proceeded to Path of Fire where i got three mounts by just following the campaign, then i got the glide attribute by going back and progressing Heart of Thorns. All these, free, by just playing the base game and having acquired very good gear along the way as well.

I also lost focus when i reached 80 and finished both base HoT and PoF and i had not logged for a while, due to Shadowlands launch as well, but a few weeks ago i revisited and i said wth and i invested some more money (i think 50 euros) and i got a ton of cool things along with extra campaigns to pursue. I am still quite lost, have not done any PvP (an attribute that i absolutely love in any game and i am sure that i would love here in gw2), have not done any fractals (which from the videos and twitch channels i am following i absolutely adore what i see), i have not done any raids (which i also adore).

Tbh gw2, for me, seems the closest of how i want an mmo to be and play, than any other in the market currently is and i am pretty sure that i have played almost all for at least a month!

Cheers! Thanks for reading my wall of text !

7+ Year Old Account
    What preventing me? My memory because i trully forgot about this game for years. Havent played for a long time and im sure ill never back to it. WoW forever <3 I dont like design in GW models world etc are just meh. Technicly graphic is good but naaah.
    Last edited by czarek; 2021-02-04 at 01:10 PM.

I loved gw2 years ago, but I'm now playing wow actively (and loving it) and don't have enough time to dive into another game

Sure, and it works for WoW, FFXIV and TESO, the most sucessful MMO's we all still play.
    So you've cherrypicked two examples (TESO is not p2p btw) and decided that this means that formula works, despite dozens of failed attempts, which indicate that maybe those two were anomalies.
    Want to try again? I still play SWTOR btw and it's hugely sucessful having made more than a billion dollars with the formula and fame you diss. Lotro and everquest were big in their day.
    War and Rift are the only ones you can point at being failed mmo's, which by no means proves the formula wrong, but the execution.
    I play SWTOR too, it doesn't suddenly change the fact that the game collapsed from 200 servers to only 5 and nowadays is maintained by skeleton crew of dozen or so devs.
    LOTRO never was big. There is a niche market for it and that's only reason why it's still around (arguably it's the same for SWTOR).
    EQ2 was a failure since day 1 and nowadays has far smaller population than the first game.
    Note that I've only mentioned relatively high profile projects, there were tons more, all with the same fate.
    Looking for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRevenantHero View Post
    Mounts shouldn't locked behind a paywall. It's stupid as fuck.
    Mounts are an optional expansion level system. They're not required except to do some of that specific expansion content. They make other things easier, sure, but they're not mandatory.

It's like not having Thorgast because you didn't buy Shadowlands...like no freakin duh.

I log in every few months, get stuck on the main quest as I travel around the area, and everywhere I go, it appears I need a different mount or whatever, so I end up killing the endless spawns of monsters for fun, and then I just log off again.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldarus View Post
    I log in every few months, get stuck on the main quest as I travel around the area, and everywhere I go, it appears I need a different mount or whatever, so I end up killing the endless spawns of monsters for fun, and then I just log off again.
    In the base game or one of the expansions? Even if it's PoF, the game will guide you to unlocking the necessary mounts for progression (raptor, hopper, skimmer, sand wolf are the only 'necessary' ones). If it's the base game it should all be acessible without mounts/gliding.

Have been back playing GW2 for the last few weeks since running out of content in WOW SL. GW2 is just awesome and has like ten times the depth of WoW. Probably the best MMOG that's out there today.

P.S. the Chinese New Year's stuff just started and you can rent a mount for 10s to do the race in Divinity's Reach if you don't have the expac.

Not being facetious at all, but it's just boring. That's the reason. :/

lack of trinity and the gameplay as a whole.

15+ Year Old Account
    I play it on and off. The gameplay is great with certain professions. Story can be great but not everything is at the same level and can be bothersome at times. The only thing that really don't like is the graphics. Most of the times I'm not that bothered but sometimes it looks like some D tier j-rpg and I detest those.
    'Something's awry.' -Duhgan 'Bel' beltayn

'A Man choses, a Slave obeys.' -Andrew Rayn

So you've cherrypicked two examples (TESO is not p2p btw) and decided that this means that formula works, despite dozens of failed attempts, which indicate that maybe those two were anomalies.

I play SWTOR too, it doesn't suddenly change the fact that the game collapsed from 200 servers to only 5 and nowadays is maintained by skeleton crew of dozen or so devs.
    LOTRO never was big. There is a niche market for it and that's only reason why it's still around (arguably it's the same for SWTOR).
    EQ2 was a failure since day 1 and nowadays has far smaller population than the first game.
    Note that I've only mentioned relatively high profile projects, there were tons more, all with the same fate.
    I didn't cherry pick anything. It's the most successful mmo's in the market by quite a bit. You are the one cherry picking from scraps.

I mean, because there are battle royale games that shut down, does that mean Fortnite doesn't have a successful formula? Your logic right there.

Stop taking it personally. I said what i would like to happen. You disagree, it's fine. I'm not here to convince you.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-02-05 at 09:34 PM.

Stop taking it personally. I said what i would like to happen.
    You'd like to make franchise what it never was to conform to some magical success formula that worked for two games in 25 years. I could have stopped at sending you back to those two games as was done earlier, but wanted to actually confirm if you are aware about success rate of said formula.
    Looking for Raid.

You'd like to make franchise what it never was to conform to some magical success formula that worked for two games in 25 years. I could have stopped at sending you back to those two games as was done earlier, but wanted to actually confirm if you are aware about success rate of said formula.
    No, it did not work. It's in decline. The studio layed off half it's work force and couldn't get GW3 greenlit. Patches are being smaller and further between

WoW and FF are successful, have millions of players, have regular expansions. There is no debate to be had here. You are not entitled to what i would like to see happen and your logic is unconvincing. Guild wars doesn't belong to you. I am as much a fan as you and i would like to see it change. Can't deal with my opinion? Your problem. Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    This happens in every other game subforum every time a discussion starts about the game.

It's just not worth engaging with the, "YOU JUST WANT WOW GET OUT" people. They're almost never arguing honestly or rationally anyway.
    I mean, if I said "I want FFXVI with character creation like in TES, skill leveling like in TES, open world exploration and lots of dungeons like in TES, solo with optional companions like in TES instead of some pre-defined party, guild questlines like in TES, magic system line in TES", you'd probably send me back to TES, right? Because series always was direct opposite of everything I've mentioned (except skill leveling in FFII).
    No, it did not work. It's in decline. The studio layed off half it's work force and couldn't get GW3 greenlit. Patches are being smaller and further between

WoW and FF are successful, have millions of players, have regular expansions. There is no debate to be had here. You are not entitled to what i would like to see happen and your logic is unconvincing. Guild wars doesn't belong to you. I am as much a fan as you and i would like to see it change. Can't deal with my opinion? Your problem. Move along.
    'Worked' referred to your "P2P vertical progression theme park" formula that killed the genre by flooding it by multitude of failed WoW clones. Arena.net always had different vision of what the genre should be, which got them existing playerbase. If you seriously think they have to disregard everything they stood for and everyone that followed their vision to go and do what plenty of others failed at, you're just deluding yourself.

FF doesn't have "millions of players" btw, latest lodestone scan puts it under 900k active characters, so the real player numbers are even lower due to alts.
    Looking for Raid.

I mean, if I said "I want FFXVI with character creation like in TES, skill leveling like in TES, open world exploration and lots of dungeons like in TES, solo with optional companions like in TES instead of some pre-defined party, guild questlines like in TES, magic system line in TES", you'd probably send me back to TES, right? Because series always was direct opposite of everything I've mentioned (except skill leveling in FFII).

'Worked' referred to your "P2P vertical progression theme park" formula that killed the genre by flooding it by multitude of failed WoW clones. Arena.net always had different vision of what the genre should be, which got them existing playerbase. If you seriously think they have to disregard everything they stood for and everyone that followed their vision to go and do what plenty of others failed at, you're just deluding yourself.

FF doesn't have "millions of players" btw, latest lodestone scan puts it under 900k active characters, so the real player numbers are even lower due to alts.
    No, the formula didn't kill anything as i clearly examplified to you with Fortnite and all the failed battle royales.
    Bad games are bad games. The formula was not the reason those games failed. They failed cause of the execution because we have clear examples that the formula is the most sucessful in the market.

You are the one delluding yourself. GW2 was an atempt to create a new formula, but it is clear by now that it failed. The WoW formula as you put it, which is a reductive way to see it, is the proven working formula. Players love it and make these games the most sucessful in the market.
    GW2 tried, but it failed. It's time to admit mistakes and plan for the future.
    Last edited by Swnem; 2021-02-06 at 04:23 AM.