Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I think for people who can't get into their old account, while starting over does suck I think in all honestly its better for an mmo to start fresh after yearrrrs anyway so you aren't confused, I would recommend just making a new f2p account and going through the base game.

Guild Wars 2 has been getting a great surge in popularity lately, I see players in every single zone I go to and the game has also seen quite the uptick on youtube, twitch, etc. It may not be seeing the insane explosion FFXIV got but it certainly is doing really really well.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    I think for people who can't get into their old account, while starting over does suck I think in all honestly its better for an mmo to start fresh after yearrrrs anyway so you aren't confused, I would recommend just making a new f2p account and going through the base game.

Guild Wars 2 has been getting a great surge in popularity lately, I see players in every single zone I go to and the game has also seen quite the uptick on youtube, twitch, etc. It may not be seeing the insane explosion FFXIV got but it certainly is doing really really well.
    The every single zone thing is so randomly true. I'll seriously go to some random cave in a random part of the gigantic map and theyll be someone there. Like what, why are you here lol

Quote Originally Posted by kiramon View Post
    The every single zone thing is so randomly true. I'll seriously go to some random cave in a random part of the gigantic map and theyll be someone there. Like what, why are you here lol
    IIRC they did a lot of "merging" behind the scenes so you end up playing with folks from other servers. Which is great, because it helps make sure they can have populated maps across the game given how big it is. Plenty of emptier zones from older living story zones, but it is nice seeing zones bustling with activity again. Sometimes while doing world bosses I'll stick around the lowbie zones and help out with low level events. Those were a blast to do when first starting, so if I can help some newbs complete the events and have fun then that's rad.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Just to add to this, after some thought, I sold off most of my mats, deleted all of my other characters other than the ranger and started up a bunch of new ones that I'm very casually leveling. As much as possible I tried to give myself a clean slate without having to rebuy the game. It's worked for me. Definitely not for everyone but I haven't regretted it as I'm in a much better place vis a vis the game.
    I hope quoting this isn't too much of a post necro, but just wanted to say thanks for this idea. After being a WoW player since the day the game released, I am stepping away until I see meaningful changes at both the game and corporate level - changes which may never happen at all since Blizzard continues to be quite profitable as is. So I am a little lost, as gaming is one of my favorite hobbies.

I remember enjoying a lot about GW2, and got a Mesmer to 80 before returning to WoW. I logged back in recently after many years away and was immediately overwhelmed upon seeing my bank full of crafting materials and other items - I almost logged back out just because of that, lol. I love the idea of selling everything and just starting fresh, leveling a few characters casually and starting over again with crafting, which I enjoy in most games.

I will keep the Mesmer since she was created at game release and I don't want to delete a veteran character, but she will be a retired lady Thanks again for the idea - I am hoping this will satisfy my gaming soul after canceling my Blizzard account - something I never thought I'd do, but here we are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    I hope quoting this isn't too much of a post necro, but just wanted to say thanks for this idea.
    Sure. Thanks for the nod. One benefit I didn't mention was that selling off a lot of that older stuff gave me a bit of a gold stake to start over with so it was all good.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saravat View Post
    I hope quoting this isn't too much of a post necro, but just wanted to say thanks for this idea. After being a WoW player since the day the game released, I am stepping away until I see meaningful changes at both the game and corporate level - changes which may never happen at all since Blizzard continues to be quite profitable as is. So I am a little lost, as gaming is one of my favorite hobbies.

I remember enjoying a lot about GW2, and got a Mesmer to 80 before returning to WoW. I logged back in recently after many years away and was immediately overwhelmed upon seeing my bank full of crafting materials and other items - I almost logged back out just because of that, lol. I love the idea of selling everything and just starting fresh, leveling a few characters casually and starting over again with crafting, which I enjoy in most games.

I will keep the Mesmer since she was created at game release and I don't want to delete a veteran character, but she will be a retired lady Thanks again for the idea - I am hoping this will satisfy my gaming soul after canceling my Blizzard account - something I never thought I'd do, but here we are.
    You can definitely start a new fresh character, but I would also advice that you don't delete that old character. GW2 gives out birthday presents for each year counting from the creation of the character, and those presents contain pretty nice stuff. If you made that char at release, you should be getting 9 presents in the mail on that char.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakadam View Post
    You can definitely start a new fresh character, but I would also advice that you don't delete that old character. GW2 gives out birthday presents for each year counting from the creation of the character, and those presents contain pretty nice stuff. If you made that char at release, you should be getting 9 presents in the mail on that char.
    Yes, thanks, I just collected all of those! I definitely won't delete her - she was created on game release day so it'd just feel wrong to delete. She's retired, though, while I level up a new Ranger and Necro

10+ Year Old Account
    Unsure if this has changed but the inability to go back into old content to farm cool looking items solo. The moment they allow for this, you bet your ass I'll come back and farm that shit for every class. I really want to get the Ascalonian weapons but I really can't be assed getting a group for old content or having to bust my ass with a solo build.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2021-09-10 at 07:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NatePsy View Post
    Unsure if this has changed but the inability to go back into old content to farm cool looking items solo. The moment they allow for this, you bet your ass I'll come back and farm that shit for every class. I really want to get the Ascalonian weapons but I really can't be assed getting a group for old content or having to bust my ass with a solo build.
    This has always been possible as you can just solo dungeons with some mild to moderate effort.
    Otherwise I don't really know what you're asking for? A way to farm dungeon items without actually doing the dungeons? You can do PvP or WvW Reward tracks for the ascalon dungeon items if you want to.

Dungeons are sadly not something that's been supported in forever. I've barely run them.

It's a shame because what little I've done has been great, but I guess it's too time consuming to continue to make that vs. fractals. Wish they'd add some better rewards to incentivize running them again, that's a solid chunk of content that's functionally walled off from a lot of players : /

You can still find groups periodically in the LFG system, I sometimes check while looking for fractal groups and there are usually at least a few groups looking for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's a shame because what little I've done has been great, but I guess it's too time consuming to continue to make that vs. fractals. Wish they'd add some better rewards to incentivize running them again, that's a solid chunk of content that's functionally walled off from a lot of players : /
    They were profitable for a while, but then you just got folks farming them and I think that's not what they want either. They never seemed to hit the balance right with them, either speed run or no run. With the frequent pouches that give dungeon tokens, you don't even need to run a dungeon for the Legendary pieces anymore.

I'd actually not mind if they did a solo mode like they do for Arah, and just tied the dungeons into the 0-80 storyline, at least then folks would experience them.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    They were profitable for a while, but then you just got folks farming them and I think that's not what they want either. They never seemed to hit the balance right with them, either speed run or no run. With the frequent pouches that give dungeon tokens, you don't even need to run a dungeon for the Legendary pieces anymore.

I'd actually not mind if they did a solo mode like they do for Arah, and just tied the dungeons into the 0-80 storyline, at least then folks would experience them.
    They kind of don't want people to do them but can't and won't remove them for obvious reasons. Dungeons are there for sort of history context and because they are embedded into the core experience but I've seen devs try to steer people away from them in comments they make.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Right now, money. Got about 5 sets, 10 mount skins and the Skyscale which I want to pursue. I set my mind to saving for something expensive for my home though and I don't see much use in playing if I can't pursue the Skyscale, so...

I just got a half off thing from Prime to buy the first two expansions in a bundle, so I went for it and I sort of see why I quit the first time. You know, other than losing my account due to my own idiocy.

I got to the end of the main story, the last mission to run a dungeon and kill some dragon, and lost steam. Coming back to it, I'm not sure if this game has a dungeon finder or equivalent, or even if there are people looking to run it. So I'm sort of stuck looking at the frankly busy as hell story menu trying to figure out where to go next. But then I remembered what I did like about this game, I can just dick around and complete maps at my own pace and it's just fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Dungeons are sadly not something that's been supported in forever. I've barely run them.

You can still find groups periodically in the LFG system, I sometimes check while looking for fractal groups and there are usually at least a few groups looking for more.
    Which is a shame, content shouldn't be abandoned in any game. I think the least they could do is go the route of WoW/FFXIV and have you be able to solo them for collecting appearances, in the same way FFXIV and WoW allow you to at level cap. Atleast then they'd appease the crowd that likes to collect things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I just got a half off thing from Prime to buy the first two expansions in a bundle, so I went for it and I sort of see why I quit the first time. You know, other than losing my account due to my own idiocy.

I got to the end of the main story, the last mission to run a dungeon and kill some dragon, and lost steam. Coming back to it, I'm not sure if this game has a dungeon finder or equivalent, or even if there are people looking to run it. So I'm sort of stuck looking at the frankly busy as hell story menu trying to figure out where to go next. But then I remembered what I did like about this game, I can just dick around and complete maps at my own pace and it's just fine.
    if you're talking about the last mission of the core story, its now scaled for 1 person.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is a shame, content shouldn't be abandoned in any game. I think the least they could do is go the route of WoW/FFXIV and have you be able to solo them for collecting appearances, in the same way FFXIV and WoW allow you to at level cap. Atleast then they'd appease the crowd that likes to collect things.
    you could always collect the skins from the dungeons in pvp or wvw.

Quote Originally Posted by SensationalBanana View Post
    Right now, money. Got about 5 sets, 10 mount skins and the Skyscale which I want to pursue. I set my mind to saving for something expensive for my home though and I don't see much use in playing if I can't pursue the Skyscale, so...
    I got the Skyscale without spending a dime, it's just time consuming, nothing major.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

you could always collect the skins from the dungeons in pvp or wvw.
    You shouldn't be made to PvP to collect PvE items though. Why should it be abandoned entirely when they could open it up to be soloed like we already do in other games?

10+ Year Old Account
    You shouldn't be made to PvP to collect PvE items though. Why should it be abandoned entirely when they could open it up to be soloed like we already do in other games?
    IDK, one could only guess. One was made soloable but that one is tied to the story so its not like they aren't completly beyond scaling. Anet also doesn't want to support them, which they had made statement about - they don't have the resources to allocate to fxing dungeons. Thats actual makes sense considering the size of the study and the problems they have with legacy content. The entirity of Arenanet is a faction of WOW and FF14s teams. The dungeons are also still tied to legendaries. Considering the way legendaries work in this game, always being BiS, it would probably be better to leave dungeons in their janky but functional state than to risk messing up the system and retroactively ticking off the base.

I've personally never had a probably getting groups for dungeons. Its as simple as creating a listing under the right category and waiting. I can see how someone might look at the LFG menu and have no idea what to do, espcially coming from games with automated queues. People always need dungeons because like I said, dungeons are still tied to legendaries - theres also dungeon dailies that pop up. Just need to know how to find a group.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    if you're talking about the last mission of the core story, its now scaled for 1 person.
    I was and I'll give that a try. Maybe upgrade my gear a bit, says that while I'm level 80 my effective level is somewhere around 30.