Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    So, after a long sort of vacation from MMOs I came back and have been playing GW2. Bought EoD, played LWS1, then wrapped up the expansion. Then rerolled Mesmer and have been starting fresh from the beginning, mainly because I forgot so much of the game and it's lore.

Have to say, after having such an extensive MMO detox, I'm loving GW2. Progression after 80 is meaningful and motivating but doesn't feel required (yet, still working through everything) and I love the mastery system mostly. HoT leans a little too heavy on it but really can't complain after that. All told, GW2 is a great product from Anet, and the industry could learn a lot from their example. IMO.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    The story at launch never grabbed me and now there's so much stuff to buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minikin View Post
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never....BURN IT"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    You are kinda joe Roganing this topic. Hardly have any actual knowledge other than what people have told you, and jumping into a discussion with people who have direct experience with it. Don't be Joe Rogan.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidicSyn View Post
    The story at launch never grabbed me and now there's so much stuff to buy.
    You don't really need the seasons to play and you can just go woth expansions if you want.

However yes, they should make a hefty bulk discount on them at this point imho. I have everything so it really doesn't bother me anyway.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I never played it, and joining a long standing MMO just doesn't really work for me.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I logged in after some years and the amount of crap in my bags and mailbox made me log off.

The reason I stopped playing was because the story was forgettable. I played at launch. Then played it again during the pandemic. I cannot tell you what the story of this game is. I can tell you wows stories, I can tell you FFXIV stories, I can tell you ESO story but I cannot remember a single thing about GW2. I do remember having fun in it, I do enjoy how organised the content is, the fighting feels laggy though. But I lost interest because I just kept not knowing that I was doing thing for in terms of story, so I stopped.

Thinking about giving it another go after deciding to drop WotLK -C (thanks Blizzard). The main reason that is preventing me AT THIS POINT is that I anjoy playing caster/range characters at the moment and if I remember correctly, GW2 doesn't really support that style of gameplay due to how combat buffs have a limited range. Also, the lack of an automated group-finder tool is another major negative for me, but I accept that others probably view that as a plus.

I gave it another try a month ago and got really sucked in this time.
    It's a really fun game, overloaded with a metric ton of barely explained mechanics, a shop that is squeezing you at every corner (the super-small shard bank i hate the most, followed by only 5 character slots for a game with 9 classes), a very friendly and always helping community and, strangely enough, a lot of players still doing all kinds of content.
    I just finished Heart of Thorns and was surprised that, even without asking, there are players everywhere for everything considering it's an old expansion. You found a HeroPoint that has a champion boss? In less that 2 minutes some other players will appear with whom you can kill the boss. All events are still done all the time, even the bigger meta events. I haven't seen that in any other game, usually nothing is as dead as old expansion content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not interested in. Was playin some back in the days. As i remember i was bored to the tears this gameplay and graphic design. Endgame was so numb.
    Last edited by czarek; 2023-04-24 at 09:57 AM.

Endgame... everytime i played it i got bored in the end.
    This is the problem i have with nearly every MMO except with FF14 and WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    I just finished Heart of Thorns and was surprised that, even without asking, there are players everywhere for everything considering it's an old expansion.
    I haven't seen that in any other game, usually nothing is as dead as old expansion content.
    Well for one, GW2 actually uses its megaserver tech to keep the maps populated at all times. The other thing is that rewards in old content are still relevant today. If you're levelling an alt then you have to acquire hero points, and if you're an endgame player then you might be farming events in old maps to complete a legendary weapon or buy a transmog armor with map currency or rare drops. GW2's endgame also does not revolve around sitting in your house or a city queuing for dungeons or raids like in WoW or GW2. For the most part, the content in GW2 is the overworld itself.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Endgame... everytime i played it i got bored in the end.
    This is the problem i have with nearly every MMO except with FF14 and WOW.
    What do you like more about WoW's and FF14's endgame? I could not care less about farming the same dungeons over and over for two years and farming the same raid for 6-9 months over and over on end for arbitrary ilevel increase that becomes irrelevant when the next patch hits. I do like doing RBGs to earn the new Vicious mount and the new transmog, but that's because I really enjoy WoW battlegrounds and I like dressing up my characters.

I do agree that once you beat GW2's story, there isn't much reason to hang around. I did 9 months of rated PvP every day and a month of WvW and acquired the timegated PvP league tickets, shards of glory, and Gifts of Battle I needed to make a full set of legendary armor, weapon, and trinkets. Then calculated the costs and realized I would need to drop $400 in gems to buy enough gold to buy the rest of the mats to actually craft the legendary armor, not even counting the costs of levelling up crafting professions. So I abandoned that goal, and there was nothing else the game had going for me. I had already assembled the transmog for my character I wanted (though the sad reality is that there are only a small handful of looks for Charr that look good in GW2. Sure, I could acquire a bunch of transmogs, but I would never use them as they would look bad, whereas in WoW there is a lot more transmogs that I want to acquire because they actually look good on Tauren). The GW2 PvP scene is incredibly stale, with it being 5v5 arena matches with no mounts and no new maps added in half a decade, and no new WvW map added since HoT (plus the WvW game systems have deteriorated over time). So there is just no reason for me to continue playing after finishing a new story episode.

I'd say a few things that, independently, wouldn't be enough to make me quit but, cumulatively just deterred me from continuing to play the game.

1. I was experiencing some slight motion sickness.
    2. It wasn't entirely clear to me which content "had" to be completed and which were "optional". I realized after trialing the game that I prefer things laid out to me clearly (like FFXIV does for msq vs. side quests, for example).
    3. It's combat system (e.g., different skills being gear-specific) was a new system that I had to learn, and I just wasn't in the mental space to do that at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Well for one, GW2 actually uses its megaserver tech to keep the maps populated at all times. The other thing is that rewards in old content are still relevant today. If you're levelling an alt then you have to acquire hero points, and if you're an endgame player then you might be farming events in old maps to complete a legendary weapon or buy a transmog armor with map currency or rare drops. GW2's endgame also does not revolve around sitting in your house or a city queuing for dungeons or raids like in WoW or GW2. For the most part, the content in GW2 is the overworld itself.

What do you like more about WoW's and FF14's endgame? I could not care less about farming the same dungeons over and over for two years and farming the same raid for 6-9 months over and over on end for arbitrary ilevel increase that becomes irrelevant when the next patch hits. I do like doing RBGs to earn the new Vicious mount and the new transmog, but that's because I really enjoy WoW battlegrounds and I like dressing up my characters.

I do agree that once you beat GW2's story, there isn't much reason to hang around. I did 9 months of rated PvP every day and a month of WvW and acquired the timegated PvP league tickets, shards of glory, and Gifts of Battle I needed to make a full set of legendary armor, weapon, and trinkets. Then calculated the costs and realized I would need to drop $400 in gems to buy enough gold to buy the rest of the mats to actually craft the legendary armor, not even counting the costs of levelling up crafting professions. So I abandoned that goal, and there was nothing else the game had going for me. I had already assembled the transmog for my character I wanted (though the sad reality is that there are only a small handful of looks for Charr that look good in GW2. Sure, I could acquire a bunch of transmogs, but I would never use them as they would look bad, whereas in WoW there is a lot more transmogs that I want to acquire because they actually look good on Tauren). The GW2 PvP scene is incredibly stale, with it being 5v5 arena matches with no mounts and no new maps added in half a decade, and no new WvW map added since HoT (plus the WvW game systems have deteriorated over time). So there is just no reason for me to continue playing after finishing a new story episode.
    To each their own. Wow was always endgame farming of gear. If you don't like the endgame of current wow you probably never liked it in the first place because it was much worse AND harder in basically every expansion before.
    And i like getting better gear and having something to go for.
    I have every dungeon on at les 20+ because i like the challenge. Mythic we sadly stopped at dathea but there is still somewhere to go... theoretically.

And wow is soooooooooo fast regarding gear aquisition it is laughable right now. There is no need to farm anything. Mythic raid loot is useless until the wingbosses. Mythic+ gives you one BiS every week and i bought 3 sockets.

If you don't like repeating content you can only go for PvP or singel player games tbh. MMOs need to have repeating content. There is not a game in the world without it that keeps you hooked with ONLY new stuff for months on end. Or you play for two weeks at the end of every patch see it and leave again.

Mythic+ and Raid is just fun. I like the gameplay. I like that you have always something new. Raid = Progression, Mythic+=Affixes.

I have to create a new account to play on Steam? Oh, brother. Such a pain in the ass just to play this game at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I have to create a new account to play on Steam? Oh, brother. Such a pain in the ass just to play this game at this point.
    You can actually use a non-Steam account on Steam and get all the Steam functionality, minus the ability to buy the game off Steam (Anet mirrors them on their own store anyway).

I get if people would like for it to "just work" though. There's a couple of ways but the easiest is to download the game on Steam and add the following to launch options:

Code:
     -provider Portal

Right click GW2 in Steam -> click Properties - > see Launch options and enter the text.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The fact i have to hassle with tickets and customer support proving im the owner because i havent logged in a long while, despite having an authenticator and all that jazz. Like i know where my game key that i bought when the game came out is lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    You can actually use a non-Steam account on Steam and get all the Steam functionality, minus the ability to buy the game off Steam (Anet mirrors them on their own store anyway).

I get if people would like for it to "just work" though. There's a couple of ways but the easiest is to download the game on Steam and add the following to launch options:

Code:
     -provider Portal

Right click GW2 in Steam -> click Properties - > see Launch options and enter the text.
    Thank you. I went and downloaded the regular client after my initial Steam login discovery. Though the information is appreciated if just slightly annoying I wasted time downloading the Steam version first. :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chaotic1962 View Post
    The fact i have to hassle with tickets and customer support proving im the owner because i havent logged in a long while, despite having an authenticator and all that jazz. Like i know where my game key that i bought when the game came out is lol.
    Yeah, this is what just happened to me a few days ago. Took almost 2 weeks for CS to contact me. What a hassle.

I just logged in for about an hour and a half, during which I spent 45 minutes doing 2 world bosses and this dragon event (I had no clue it was on). One of the world bosses was a daily apparently and gave an extra chest plus it was a dragon (so another extra chest!). Between all that I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game. I might still play it since I am looking for an MMO to spend some time on, and yes, I do get that as a B2P game they need to make things inconvenient enough so that you spend money, but they really didn't have to go completely overboard with the loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game.
    Oh absolutely. To have a good time you want to buy the maximum amount of bag slots (cash shop), buy big bags off of the AH, and then buy those infinite salvaging tools off of the cash shop (isn't on sale year round IIRC). That way you can just click to open all loot bags and crates to fill your inventory with crap, and then right click the infinite salvaging tool and have it salvage everything, then click the deposit materials button. But it is still an incredibly tedious process, and you can only deposit materials so much material before your mat bank fills up, which means you have to go through the tedious process of selling all of those leftovers on the auction house through its sluggish interface. I wish GW2 borrowed from Granblue Fantasy and allowed you to setup an auto-salvage loot and auto-sell mats function so I didn't have to waste my time on this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fkiolaris View Post
    I just logged in for about an hour and a half, during which I spent 45 minutes doing 2 world bosses and this dragon event (I had no clue it was on). One of the world bosses was a daily apparently and gave an extra chest plus it was a dragon (so another extra chest!). Between all that I spent the other half of my time sorting out all the crap that landed in my bags because you had chests that contained bags that contained more bags that had precursors (or whatever they are called) items to double-click to roll the dice to decide on the loot that you get. So much shite that you need to sort out one way or another that it completely kills any excitement I might gather for this game. I might still play it since I am looking for an MMO to spend some time on, and yes, I do get that as a B2P game they need to make things inconvenient enough so that you spend money, but they really didn't have to go completely overboard with the loot.
    90% of GW2 loot is meant to be salvage for mats or sold. People hold onto too much stuff in the game.

They actually want you to dump your mats onto the TP or use them versus just rotting in a bank taking up storage space.

Resident Cosplay Progressive