View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

    45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

    24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

    0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

    3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

    9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

    11 11.96%
  1. #20221
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    But...not even his own party is behind this. He just threatened to expel members who weren't, implying some of the voters aren't behind it either. Does have a majority, without them?
    He won't have a majority if he expels MPs who rebel against him however if he calls a GE the Con Party will field their own candidates in the seats of those expelled MPs.

    The polls all point to the Cons winning the most votes and whilst this might not translate to an overall majority due our First Past the Post system they are certainly close.

  2. #20222
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    No they cannot put a time limit on the backstop. I am sorry but that's moronic. The time limit of the backstop is someone creating an alternative arrangement. Placing a time limit on the backstop defeats the very purpose of the backstop.
    Literally what I said.

  3. #20223
    It's simple. If democracy stands in your way, suspend it.

  4. #20224
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    There's the law to leave, but there's a whole litany of laws that were set to change, carry on, or cease to exist depending on what a deal would agree upon. Those have not been passed, because we don't know what needs to be passed as negotiations are supposedly still ongoing. So they would just expire.

    Dissolve Parliament, and there's no one to pass them, with the suspension there's basically no time as there's a reset and any progress on them has to completely restart.
    The European Union Withdrawal Bill automatically incorporates all existing EU law into UK law.

    But if what you say is correct then there is nothing to worry about Brexit cannot possibly happen - I wonder why no-one has mentioned this?

  5. #20225
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The European Union Withdrawal Bill automatically incorporates all existing EU law into UK law.

    But if what you say is correct then there is nothing to worry about Brexit cannot possibly happen - I wonder why no-one has mentioned this?
    I believe the issue is that there has been an awful lot of contradictory UK law created since triggering art 50. The EU side of it is rather clearer and according to that the UK is out on the 31.

  6. #20226
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibblewink View Post
    I believe the issue is that there has been an awful lot of contradictory UK law created since triggering art 50. The EU side of it is rather clearer and according to that the UK is out on the 31.
    And what laws are these? And what do they contradict?

  7. #20227
    BREAKING

    PM announcement set for 18:00 BST

    Boris Johnson is expected to address the nation outside No 10 at 18:00 BST, setting out the choices facing MPs.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-49557734

  8. #20228
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanzo Hasashi View Post
    It's simple. If democracy stands in your way, suspend it.
    "If representative democracy stands in the way of fulfilling direct democratic mandate", yes, the right course of action is suspending representative part to finally get it done and over with.

  9. #20229
    Titan draykorinee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Ciderland, arrgh.
    Posts
    13,238
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post

    The poll
    s seems to think so.
    That's not indicative of a majority government though.

  10. #20230
    Well that was a bit of an anticlimax.

  11. #20231
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Well that was a bit of an anticlimax.
    He’s setting himself up for blaming everyone else.

    He’s nowhere near a deal. The EU keep telling us that.

  12. #20232
    Tomorrow's bill; https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/sta...650621953?s=20

    They suggest Jan 2020 but don't offer a reason why, the EU must be thinking "what's the point?"

  13. #20233
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Tomorrow's bill; https://twitter.com/hilarybennmp/sta...650621953?s=20

    They suggest Jan 2020 but don't offer a reason why, the EU must be thinking "what's the point?"
    They expect a GE if it’s passed and Labour’s manifesto is for a referendum on any deal so this would allow time for that. Referenda take longer to arrange than GEs because reasons.

  14. #20234
    Merely a Setback Breccia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    NY, USA
    Posts
    27,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Tomorrow's bill
    The purpose of the Bill is to ensure that the UK does not leave the European Union on the 31 October without an agreement, unless Parliaments consents.
    For my fellow Americans.

  15. #20235
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Then they should grow a pair and ask for a referendum
    Would never have passed. A group of backbenchers did try to push for one but it was nowhere near passing.

  16. #20236
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They expect a GE if it’s passed and Labour’s manifesto is for a referendum on any deal so this would allow time for that. Referenda take longer to arrange than GEs because reasons.
    A general election can, and probably will, be called before we leave the EU on Oct 31st thus there is no need for an extension to enable one to be held. What has Lab's manifesto got to do with the proposed bill?

    They have again given absolutely no reason for an extension.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-09-02 at 05:50 PM.

  17. #20237
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    A general election can, and probably will, be called before we leave the EU on Oct 31st thus there is no need for an extension to enable one to be held. What has Lab's manifesto got to do with the proposed bill?

    They have again given absolutely no reason for an extension.
    They have, to enable proper negotiation and scrutiny of the deal by parliament. The whole point of Boris’s little speech was to pretend that there already is when there manifestly isn’t.

  18. #20238
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    They have, to enable proper negotiation and scrutiny of the deal by parliament. The whole point of Boris’s little speech was to pretend that there already is when there manifestly isn’t.
    What are you talking about?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They are not even likely to win the elections. If they want to do something about Brexit, they should actually do something about it.
    Exactly! If the point is to hold a ref. they can try to table a motion for one tomorrow there is no need to mess around for three months but, as before, it won't pass.

  19. #20239
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    They are not even likely to win the elections. If they want to do something about Brexit, they should actually do something about it.
    This is literally what the cross party agreement between Labour, SNP, Lib Dem’s and Tory rebels does.

    Let’s be clear. Parliament aren’t the ones doing the negotiating. They’re only able to ratify what is agreed. They’re forcing the government to take the time to find an agreement that they can ratify. Thats the best they can do.

    This is the Government, not Parliament that can’t agree a fucking deal that the Government itself wants. That’s why it’s not passing, because of rebels in the Government’s own ranks. Nothing to do with opposition parties. They’re just, fortunately, able to use this to make sure we don’t end up in a worse position than we started in.

  20. #20240
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    The Parliament got a chance to suggest alternatives. They could not agree on anything.
    Oh c'mon! That's not fair! They agreed that everything, from no-deal to no-Brexit, was unacceptable!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •